View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

38 17.51%
  • 4/5

70 32.26%
  • 3/5

49 22.58%
  • 2/5

36 16.59%
  • 1/5

24 11.06%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Mona Leaves-a" (KABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Mona Leaves-a" (KABF12)

Glenn Close guest-voices as Mona, Homer’s mother, and Lance Armstrong as himself in another all-new May Sweeps episode. When Homer’s mother Mona unexpectedly passes away, Homer is filled with guilt for not telling her how much he loved her before she died. To make it up to her, Homer decides to fulfill her final wishes by throwing her ashes over Lake Wastershare at Springfield Monument Park.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...6/simpsons.jpg

Blog Entries

I liked it a lot. The first two acts showed emotion. The third act is like something you would get out of seasons 10 and 11, but I don't think that's bad. The ending was also nice. 4/5

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

Didn't really care for it, should have been handled so much better than this. 2/5

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I just made a thread... I guess you should delete it.

Anyway, that was pretty bad. Mona's voice sounded VERY off and a lot of the jokes just fell flat. Pretty much the entire first act was just a bunch of random unfunny jokes (that thing with Moe and the car door did not need to go on for a minute).

Once Mona came back, there seemed to be a lot of false emotion and wasn't done particularily well.

There was some okay stuff in the episode, such as the stuff with Lenny's mom, and the final act was okay (nice to see evil Mr. Burns return who doesn't know who Homer is... Although it was pretty brief).

All in all, 2/5.

"You keep disappearing and reappearing and it's not funny! You're just like that show, Scrubs."

5/5

Junior Camper

Anybody notice Seth and Munchie at the funeral home, right at the beginning of act two? Nice touch.

Before watching the episode tonight, I forced my family to watch "Mother Simpson" from my DVD set with me. It was the first time I had seen that one in awhile, and it was really enjoyable for the whole family. I was really worried, though, that the new episode's inevitable inferiority would be all the more obvious right after such a classic.

Well, sure, "Mona Leaves-a" was no "Mother Simpson". But that's no surprise. Actually, the bigger surprise was that it was much better than I thought it was going to be. Well, up to a certain point. The first two acts, for the most part, were quite good. The emotional material wasn't handled nearly as well as it would have been around season seven or eight, but at the same time, it wasn't a complete disaster. The first act break was genuinely sad (and Homer's "I've been a real turkey" card was really cute), though I wish we would have gotten just a tad more of Homer's initial reaction.

So I was completely with the episode, right up until it is revealed why Mona wanted her ashes spread at the top of the mountain. After that, and into the third act, it just got far too silly. The final montage of clips was a nice touch, though, and the last moment was really sweet (which, in this case, didn't bother me in the least).

As for the jokes themselves, there were some pretty good lines throughout. I didn't like Moe's gag that opened the episode, but the following scene in the mall was pretty good. I didn't think Homer's attack of all the hippos in the store was all that funny, but the cut to them casually walking up their front walk with Homer casually whistling right after made it funny. I liked "The Defender" (but could have done without its return in the final act). I laughed at Grampa's tap shoes - That was a well-executed one. Homer's "Everyone loves to be corrected" reading also really made me laugh, as I'm always correcting my family's grammar and it bugs the hell out of them. I could have done without him getting stabbed in the head with Bart's knife (saw that gag coming from a mile away, anyhow), as well as the whole pot gag.

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty decent send-off for the character, but I wish the episode focused more on Homer's guilt, grief and eventual healing, rather than the over-the-top mindless "action" of the final act.

Ah well.

4/5 (I'm feeling generous)
    Last edited by Universal Polymath; 05-11-2008 at 06:10 PM.

I really wish they would've left this alone.

What they came up with anyway was great.

4.25/5

Blog Entries

5/5 simply an amazing episode. I think they executed the emotion of mona's death in such a sensitive way. The jokes came subtle and there were many laugh out loud moments. Epic plot also, I love how burns was used at the end of this episode. Nothing was awkward in this episode, everything was just perfect.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

So I'm a bit of a wuss and did cry a little a few times: the first act break (which was very, very well done) and the ending (which was a very sweet little moment to close on). I wish the episode had been more grounded as a whole though, because it probably would have felt a lot better that way.

It wasn't all that funny - there were a few good jokes, of course, and thankfully there weren't any at a horrible expense to Mona. But it started with a poorly done unrelated half of a first act that just wasn't all that funny. Loved Homer's weapon. And his initial feelings towards Mona were compltely understandable, and it was good to see Homer still show concern for his mom - he's appropriately hurt after being brought down too many times, but when she dies, his responses were very well done. The thing with Lenny's mom was kinda cute, and Apu trying to console him was nice - I would've preferred Flanders to have tried to console Homer as well rather than simply say that Apu is wrong (something like, you know, "Oh, she's up in Heaven right now, looking down on you - and she knows you're going to be okay," or something like that. Not exactly but you know... it would've been better than just saying that Apu was wrong).

Unfortunately the episode kinda went into extreme wackiness - and while it was great that they remembered that Burns has to be present, it would have been nicer to have seen more of him. It was also kinda cheesy how everything Mona gave the family ended up helping out but... ah. Liked the call-back to the chain and cinderblock though. And the ending actually was pretty sweet.

A high 4/5 because I'm a softie and while it got a little out of hand/lame at times, they treated her death pretty well and had a couple of really, really nice moments. Unfortunately the worst of the Mona episodes, as it can't even really stand up to Carjacker (which was much more well done). It really needed to be more grounded.

I really like that the first act break didn't have a joke. When was the last time that happened?

And the third act was a bit of a slap in the face with the missile and action scene. It was by no means bad, it just didn't have a place in the episode at all, with the montage exception.

Mona's voice did seem a little off, but that caused me to like the episode just a little more. Hawhaw, Lenny's mom don't like him.
    I was kinda expecting Mona's ashes to form a image of her head, as cartoons are apt to pull, I'm glad they refrained from that obvious visual tool.
    You know something? for one moment, when Homer was being held captive in that missile silo, I almost imagined Hank Scorpio would make a surprise cameo. Ohwell, Burns is such a sufficient-suitable regular, who needs Hank?

I do 5/5

3/5, started off with so much promise but fell off in the middle of the 2nd act.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

5/5 Great episode

Water on that Damn Shit! Ezekiel 25:17's Avatar

"My aquarium!" ROFL

solid 4/5
    For christ's sake, just wank. Everyone wanks.
    Your dad wanks. Your grandad wanks. The priests wank. I bet the pope has a good tug on his todger once in a while.

It's not exactly as good as the first one, or as sassy as the second one, but this is going to find its place in the Simpsons universe as a very likeable episode. We're treated to great season 8/9 esque Simpsons jokes, intertwined with a very post-modern Simpsons ending, and it's a blast to watch. However a stupid beginning, a dumb Moe joke, and a slightly out of place Bond parody are all misplaced, or un-needed. The episode shows neither sign of evolution or revolution (which the show needs), but it's still a very welcome episode. But the series can't last on life support (classic albeit) Simpsons, there needs to be a shakeup, and there needs to be one soon. And if any proof is needed, just look at the anticipation or reaction of this episode. It's like people didn't know, or care, that Homer's mom was coming back. 4 years ago, we got a completely different kind of reaction. And that was just four years ago.

On a side-note, did anyone else notice how well they played that Abe's tap dancing shoes joke? That felt very classic in my opinion (not the setup but the delivery of the gag).

Junior Camper

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Mona's voice seemed a little off in my last post - Glad to see others felt the same way. Like I said, right before the new one, I watched "Mother Simpson", which made it all the more obvious.

It didn't bug me too much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
    On a side-note, did anyone else notice how well they played that Abe's tap dancing shoes joke? That felt very classic in my opinion (not the setup but the delivery of the gag).
    Yes, that was great. I laughed.

Banned

I think that, if you take "Mother Simpson", "My Mother the Carjacker" and "Mona Leaves-a" as a trilogy, this would be the weak one of the three. "Mother Simpson" proved to be a great emotional trip, revealing her complicated past and establishing Homer's mixed feelings. "Carjacker" seemed to have a closer connection to the first (though Homer's finding of Mona seemed extraordinarily far-fetched), but there were some honestly sweet moments and character development - I particularly liked the Homer / Mona montage. That episode wasn't perfect either, though; you'd figure a woman with the sense and secrecy Mona had to keep upon herself wouldn't admit in public to signing false names on park registries, knowing it was illegal. We'll save that for sometime elsewhen.

What really surprised me was Homer's initial total rejection of Mona. His frustrated and (justified?) coldness toward Mona came off pretty clearly, and his message was consistent. Another surprise came in her sudden departure and her constantly being there in the house after Homer's unusually strong negative signs.

While there were some nice gags here - I really liked Bart, Moe and Ralph here, and Ned's / Apu's religious discussion, almost a continuation of S16's "Midnight Rx", seems to make them a great duo - there were a few big miffs that prevented me from enjoying this episode. I think it came in the sheer unlikelihood of some events' outcomes, which reminded me of S11 - ash going directly into the computer, as per Mona's wish, Homer parachuting out of a gigantic explosion, and the clip montage, consisting of only about FOUR episodes, which the SAME song from the PREVIOUS Mona / Homer montage just seemed outright odd and lazy. Also, why would Mona tell Homer she was about to go out and chain herself to something? In that part, Homer looked older than when she "left for twenty-seven years".

Homer certainly had a strained relationship with his mother, and Abe didn't seem to have it much better off, but she became a pivotal part of Homer's adult life just the same. To see this chapter of Homer's complex character closed (probably for the rest of the series) leaves more hope for me that the series will eventually come to an end itself.

Because of my enjoyment of Mona's character, Bart's lines and Moe's aribtrary schadenfreude, I would have to give this a six-point-five or so.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

This episode really didn't deliver. It felt way too fast for an emotional episode and Mona's presence felt absent. Ironically, the parts I enjoyed the most were the ones that weren't all that serious (e.g.- Homer and the hippos, Homer not being hurt enough by the fall, Apu). I do have to admit the first act break was pretty damn sad, even though I still knew it was coming. However, they really needed to build more of a conflict in the first act with Homer and Mona. The third act felt like a Schwartzwelder plot, which wasn't all that bad, but was really really damn rushed. I'm surprised Burns didn't care that it was Mona Simpson that was the bag of ashes. While I'm not a continuity nerd, it is a little upsetting they didn't make reference to earlier episodes.

Jean did a good montage for once at the end. There was some emotive qualities to the episode, but it came in spurts.

I've never been a huge fan of Mother Simpson and actually liked My Mother the Carjacker more. Needless to say, the whole Mona trilogy will rest in my mind as something that I really don't care about. I think I am in the majority of Simpson fans, as I told my friends about Homer's mom dying, and none seemed to care, despite the ruckus it caused on this board.

The characterizations were good (as they have been 90% of the season) and the plot was coherent. In short, it wasn't offensive in any way, which is the only thing holding it above getting a 2/5. But this episode should have been memorable if it was going to get me to care about Mona once and for all. It didn't.

C/C-. Low 3/5

This could've been handled so so so much better. Lacked any kind of emotional punch. 2/5

This episode almost made me cry.

This episode left a lot to be desired. It didn't really have much of a purpose besides resolving the ending to "My Mother the Carjacker", and it felt weak, rehashed and cliche all at once. Weak in the sense that the storyline wasn't interesting enough to sustain a 20 minute running time without an opening 2-minute time waster at the mall, a clip montage at the end, and a re-used super-long opening couch gag. Rehashed as in the whole episode seemed to be banking on the previous two Mona episodes' emotional development. This episode didn't offer anything new and intriguing in the Homer/Mona saga, IMO - just more Bart & Lisa catching up with Mona, Mona apologizing for her absense, Homer being emotionally conflicted, and Mona taking on Burns. Cliche as in the TV sitcom storyline cliche of a parent/grandparent/loved one dying right after a fluke bad last words or negative final experience, followed by the main character trying to make it up to them in spirit.

While there were moments where it seemed like the episode was going for genuine emotion, it never really clicked for me because none of it had much inspiration. Mona had very little reason to return to the Simpsons house, and there wasn't anything new or interesting that came of her return. Mona's death wasn't even given a good cause or warning at all. Bart and Lisa looking at Homer baby pictures is nothing that couldn't have been done with Grampa, or in the previous two Mona episodes. The freshest thing the episode offered was the random Bond-like scenario in the third act, which was neither funny or interesting to me. The third act was all too ridiculous (Homer landing ass-first on a missile and enjoying his time up there, Lisa and Marge burning hemp and getting the guards stoned somehow, the knife stabbing Homer in the head, Homer walking around bricking everyone in the face, Marge carrying Homer up the mountain, Homer climbing the mountain almost effortlessly, etc). Even the whole idea of Mona's ashes interrupting the missile launch as a mastermind Mona scheme was just way too over the top, especially for an episode reaching for a lot of genuine emotion.

To top it off, the animation direction was pretty boring and uninvolving, the sad music cues forced and overdone, and Glenn Close's vocal performance getting further and further from her original one. All in all, the episode struck me as a pointless cash-in on the success of "Mother Simpson", and to a lesser extent "My Mother the Carjacker" - an episode that at least had an interesting enough story, way more laughs, better characterization, and more heart. For me, a few good jokes (Moe at the beginning, Ned's aquarium, Homers Scrubs assessment, etc) saved it from a total trainwreck.

2/5

My least favorite of the season along with "That 90s Show".
    Last edited by Tomacco; 05-11-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

So, am I the only one who noticed that all 3 mona episodes end in a desert/rocky setting or environment?

As usual, I have nothing to say when I think the episode is "meh". I prefer loving or hating an episode, because then I have something to write about.

I did really hate Marge's first line of dialog. It's the perfect example of everything I hate about the last 5 or so seasons of "marge-speak". She let the kids listen to the "music radio". They try so hard to make Marge sound uncool, but always take it to the point to make her dialog unrealistic. It's crap.

The episode itself had a little heart, but had several annoying aspects that kept me from enjoying it entirely; but not bad enough to make me dislike it.
    3/5
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Gotta disagree with the majority of you. I liked it a lot.

The storytelling was a lot stronger than the show's usual fare nowadays. Instead of yet another cop-out, "fake" death, the writers finally decide to grow a pair and change the status quo. And compared to something like Maude's T-shirt barrage in season 11, the show handled Mona's death in one of the classiest ways possible. The first act break almost got me a little choked up--the direction and mood of the scene, coupled with Homer's "...Mom?" (great reading by Dan C) made for one of the most memorable moments of this season.

I think the most impressive aspect of this episode was in balancing the emotion with the humor, something a few other recent showings haven't been able to handle that well. Homer's turkey before Mona's death, Mona's video will: "...and if I'm not dead, then stay out of my stuff!" followed by a sweet and amusing moment with Homer's love of animal bloopers (even if it sort of reused a line from A Star is Burns), Homer ascending the mountain with the ashes, Mona's final crafty plan, all interesting, somewhat touching, and generally amusing.

I can see the issue some people have with the third act change and some of the more flexible-reality aspects of the show, but I thought it was done well. Mona was always portrayed as one to take action, and I felt the third act sabotage tied directly into her spirit in a way that was unobtrusive. I know I'm probably in the unpopular opinion with that, but it honestly felt entertaining and somewhat appropriate to me. Plus, it threw in one of the most down-to-earth Burns' characterizations in the Jean era (however brief that it was). And although hokey, I liked seeing OFF utilize their heirlooms to save the day. Homer with "the defender" was fun--I like seeing the powerful side of Homer, and the animation of him smashing things up with the cinder block was just great to watch. Tying everything together with an episode montage was a good idea, and kept the show rooted (instead of ending with the escape sequence).

The episode wasn't without its problems. While I liked the third act, it wasn't quite the direction I expected the show to go, and the issue of Homer's grief could've perhaps gotten more air time. Additionally, the jokes were solid and there weren't any embarrassing or overlong ones, but it was pretty light on the humor throughout. Finally, Homer's disappointment in Mona felt a little sudden after her two past appearances, but it was believable enough. And he did realize the error of his ways fairly quickly, so it wasn't a major issue.

The animation was way better than usual. Even from before Mona shows up, we get some panned-out overhead shots (the hippo sequence), some particularly fluid and fast camera movement (hippo sequence again), some interesting angles to convey a sense of danger (when OFF suspects a burglar in the house), and a lot of great lighting and camerawork during the sequence of Mona's death. The palette during the rock climb was nice and colorful, and I liked the design of the missile base.

So yeah, overall, it was a really nice episode that was surprisingly charming, touching, and focused. I'm a little surprised it hasn't been getting better marks--I thought this was way ahead of most of season 19's episodes, which have often felt disjointed, lame, nonsensical, or all three. There were some Scully-ish moments in this, but they were the better kind of Scully IMO. More Simpson Tide than Simpson Safari, if you know what I mean. And the exploration of Homer's character, while not particularly deep, was well-done and charming.

4.5, A-

What the heck, I'm voting 5 on the poll.
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 05-11-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Okay, they reused the evolution couch gag and showed clips from Mother Simpson, My Mother the Carjacker, and D'oh-in In the Wind at the end, so the episode was rather short.

In Act 1, when the family returned home to see their door open/unlocked, I knew that it was Mona that "broke in." And when Homer chained up the cinder block, I had a feeling he was going to kill Mona. But thankfully he just broke Ned's aquarium instead. But he had to be a bit of a jerkass and not forgive his mother for leaving him. Then he decides to forgive her and she dies ... naturally (thank God).

At least this episode dealt with death a lot better than Alone Again, Natura-Diddily. And at least there was a plot in Act 3, with a nice twist of Mona's will to the family being one last attempt to relive the 1960s. A few scenes in Act 3 reminded me of You Only Move Twice for some reason as well. But at least the episode ended with dignity. (And on Fox, the credits were left alone for some reason. I guess some special credits were meant to be put in, but then cut out at the last minute resulting in no promo.)

At least Mona came clean about faking her own death in My Mother the Carjacker.

Overall: 4/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

By the way, I assume there were two mothers listed in the credits? One was apparently Dan C's--who was the other?

not the best episode ever, thats for sure.
    3/5

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

It wasn't bad but it wasn't what it should have been. If you really arn't a fan of the show then you would have no problem with this episode but if you are a true fan than this episode may have bothered you.

The beginning worked fine for me, it was enjoyable and funny. I didn't fully understand why Homers was being such a jerk to his mother but I still coudl understand, it would just as Mona put it "Take some time" of course Homer didn't realize his mom would die that night. Her funeral was ok, they had alittle bit of sadness (would have enjoyed actually seeing her funeral) and alot of stupid usless jokes, the animal bloopers, why? But once he fell into that stupid secret missile operation thing it just went downhill. It wasn't as bad as Maude's death but it was still not done very tastefully. Homer just didn't seem to care as much as I expected him too. I thought the scene where Homer discovered her was pretty well done though. And all throughout the animation was very good.

Overall I was very disapointed but my hopes were jsut too high. The episode wasn't bad i just was expecting something more serious.

3/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    "You keep disappearing and reappearing and it's not funny! You're just like that show, Scrubs."
    Was this an actual line of dialogue from the episode?

Thread Information