View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

42 20.79%
  • 4/5

88 43.56%
  • 3/5

46 22.77%
  • 2/5

14 6.93%
  • 1/5

12 5.94%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Any Given Sundance" (KABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Any Given Sundance" (KABF11)

Lisa makes a documentary about her family for a school project. After the success of her project, Principal Skinner and Superintendent Chalmers encourage her to enter the film into the Sundance Film Festival. But when Lisa's film premieres at Sundance, Homer, Marge and Bart are embarrassed by the candid behind-the-scenes look at their lives. Guest starring Jim Jarmusch and John C. Reilly.

Junior Camper

4/5

I had a bad feeling about this episode but it actually turned out alright.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Am I the only one getting sick of them overexplaining things in a non-subtle way? (like they did with explaining Sundance)

I missed the first act, but what I saw was pretty good. Nelson's film when on too long and wasn't funny enough to justify its length, but some of the jokes were pretty good, like Marge and the film titles, "death to Maggie!", the Simpsons Movie joke and some of the stuff with Jim Jarmusch.

Having John C. Reilly was pretty unnecessary though.

4/5.
    Last edited by McClure; 05-04-2008 at 04:39 PM.

great episode! One of my favorites this season probably, it ended a bit fast though, I loved the choice for music during the movie. Overall great, and really funny!
    "one Simpsons Movie was plenty!"

4/5, excellent episode, good characterization of the characters. Probably one of the best episodes of the season.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

Um, this episode felt all over the place. It didn't focus on what was important for the plot, methinks. Yeah...it kinda sucked, save for a few LOL moments.

2/5

For season 19's standards, this was an excellent episode, 4.5/5 rounded up. Perhaps I'm being a little generous, though.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

By the way, I hated both of the guest appearances. They weren't needed AT ALL.

Electrified Fooling Machine Mindy Simmons's Avatar

5/5
    Loved it! This may be the best episode of the season so far, IMO.
    Dramatization: May not have happened.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I enjoyed it for the most part, but thinking about it, I wasn't too satisfied with the direction it went in. The third act was what brought it down for me: I would've rather seen more of the family in that than Nelson's out of place, or so I felt, film. I enjoyed the first two acts and the episode msotly kept me smiling throughout, but about halfway through Nelson's film I realized that that isn't the way I wanted the episode to go.

I'm not sure WHERE I wanted it to go, exactly, though. I'm feeling a little underwhelmed from it and not all that coherent right now. Just that there was some pretty funny bits (mostly with Marge, actually. Though Skinner and Chalmers weren't too bad either), some good scenes, but an out-of-place ending that didn't really mean anything. And given that this episode was about the family and Lisa's relationship with them, which can and has lead to some pretty fantastic stuff, to just have some stupid Nelson film in instead. Ug.

So a weak 4/5, because I did enjoy myself for the most part and even the ending wasn't completely terrible, but it could have been much, much, muuuch better.

a 6 out of 5 I really loved this one. classic stuff. The jokes, the animation, the observational humor, people big enough to make fun of themselves, the signs / banners...this one had it all. Exceptional to the last. Off to the laundromat for a new pair of boxers - see you all soon!
    You may remember me from such educational films as : 'Supercolliders and You - Stop, Drop and Evaporate' and 'So the Universe is about to Implode' and 'Dark Matter - It's Not Just For Nightmares Anymore'.

Bravotizzymoe!
    I Loved this one! I think I liked this episode a little too much. A love that even Arthur & Buster couldn't come close to mustering. Nelsons flick beats Barney's drunk musings hands down,..(because its new, Barney's is old).
    I hope the no more Simpson movies threat was just a gag, cause I could sure do for another big screen film. 5/5

A.K.A Max Power

Not a bad concept,they could have done alot more with it but far from the worst of the past season.
    "To start, press any key." Where's the "Any" key? - Homer Simpson

Junior Camper

I agree with the guest appearances, I didn't really know the sundance guy, but Rielly at the end wasn't need.

Besides that I thought the episode was pretty good. Like the tailgating part with Homer "Mooching" from everyone. Weren't a lot of memorable quotes per say, but were definately some chuckles. I liked Chompskinn (SP?) Productions and Nelsons movie with the Charlottes Web was good.

I'm going to say a 3.5/5 but for the vote I went for a 4.
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Good solid episode, really liked the Hamster in memorium, 4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I didn't really have high hopes for this one and I wasn't disapointed or pleasently surprised, it was just meh. There were a few funny parts (Chalm-Skin) and no really annoyingly bad jokes. Tha animation was a huge step down from last weeks and overall it was just boring. The guest stars were pretty useless and John C. Reilly was really wasted, he would have been better as a character and not himself. The Nelson video really reminded me of Barney's video from "A Star Is Burns" in that they took a really stupid oafish character and showed their softer side. And Lisa's video really was a let down. They showed like 2 scenes that weren't even that bad and now the family hates Lisa, it just didn't seem right.

anyway 3/5 for me nothing special nothing horrible.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod
    Nelsons flick beats Barney's drunk musings hands down,..(because its new, Barney's is old).
    Really?

Barney's film in A Star is Burns was WAY better than Nelson's in the episode, it was better narrated and had better gags.

LOL

One thing that bothers me about any show's 'movie episode' (such as Family Guy's episode Chick Cancer with the Steel Vaginas film) is that the actual film any character creates runs maybe 30 seconds long. You'd think there would be something a little more... substantial to it. Now Nelson's movie, that was a neat scene.

Another thing that bothered me:
    "This can't be real!"
    "It isn't, you've crashed and now you're lying unconscious in a snow bank."

That's a joke that could have just worked by ending with 'it isn't'.

I thought some of the jokes were a little too obvious or set up a bit too much, but I did enjoy the episode itself and the themes that it used. Regardless of that, I did laugh quite a few times. The cameos by celebrity voices were used very well (comparing it to Marge Gamer's cameo with the soccer celeb which wasn't a very good use at all), instead of just using them as one-joke ponies.

Also neat - Lisa's and Skinner's exchanges and the fact that the episode didn't waste it's first act on something that doesn't connect with anything else.

B

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

3/5

The first two acts were rather bland and unwell-rounded. The whole scene at the Football game was rather dull IMO. Skinner & Chalmers were simply boring. It went a bit uphill in the third act after Nelson's film, but that went on for too long. Overall, bland but decent.

Btw, anyone think Marge was implying something by her statement at the end of the episode? "One Simpsons movie is enough!"

Worst. Signature. Ever.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Whats the deal with Nelson's parents? First he has a dad, then his dad left him and he only has his mom, then they find his dad and he is completly different looking then he used to be but he seems to be here to stay, then they change the way his mom looks and his dad is gone again. I don't get it, is his dad back or not?

Junior Camper

Once again, I'm left feeling very underwhelmed, but relieved that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. There wasn't anything too cringe-worthy, but nothing in the episode really stood out. By the third act, I found myself checking the clock often, hoping it would just end. As it went along, I became less and less interested.

Nelson's film went on far too long, and I didn't really find anything too funny about it. Him trying to put the book in his mother's hands was more disturbing than anything.

It had its moments though. There were some genuinely funny gags. Overall, though, it was quite forgettable.

3/5

I'm looking at King Of The Hill right now, and The Simpsons writers could really take some queues from them. As far as telling a story, King Of The Hill does this very smoothly. It makes the story seem more full in the short 22 minutes, instead of this retarded Family-Guy-ripoff style that The Simpsons has adopted.

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

Incredible episode. This season is really rocking along. 5/5. If you didn't dig this... I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Am I the only one getting sick of them overexplaining things in a non-subtle way? (like they did with explaining Sundance)

I missed the first act, but what I saw was pretty good. Nelson's film when on too long and wasn't funny enough to justify its length, but some of the jokes were pretty good, like Marge and the film titles, "death to Maggie!", the Simpsons Movie joke and some of the stuff with Jim Jarmusch.

Having John C. Reilly was pretty unnecessary though.

4/5.
    that was the joke they made that especially long explanation on purpose to poke fun at when shows do that (even them), hence chalmers's "no shit" response.

blowin' money fast Clark Westfall's Avatar

meh, this episode was nothing special, but it wasn't horrible. I did like the "no more Simpsons movies" joke though and "death to Maggie" was pretty funny, other than that it was nothing special.
    3/5

Raggin' On Your Cord

Crap, total crap. Not one funny moment.

There was a nice reference to the film 400 blows at the end of Nelson's movie.
    But that's it.

1/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Solid episode, I enjoyed it. The Sundance/indie film jokes were fun, and I can't think of a single cringeworthy gag or overly-long sequence. Even the characterization was solid. The plot was a little empty and didn't take the OFF-centric direction that I hoped it would, but it was still paced well and didn't feel like it was moving at a breakneck speed for once. Loved Homer's surreal "Oh, is it because I'm fat?" line, as well as "ChalmSkin," "Death to Maggie!" "One Simpsons movie is enough," and CBG writing his report on "Ain't I Fat News." The guest spots were only okay, mainly marred by sub-par delivery.

Light and entertaining all-around, with not much to complain about. 4/5 B/B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

Good episode tonight. This episode had a lot of pretty dark jokes, which seem to be a staple of Season 19. That's not necessarily bad, though. Actually, in terms of humor, this season has been a huge improvement over the last two, and this episode is another notch on that belt. I particularly enjoyed the In Memorandum plaque for the hamsters, "Death to Maggie," and the thankfully-unexplained Simpsons Movie quip.

Guest stars were good. It's cool to see the show get some more obscure people like Jim Jarmusch. His cameo was really low-key and didn't bog down the episode by any means. John C. Reilly's appearance was pretty good too, even if it was brief. It was almost like the writers saw him in the parking lot and grabbed him for a quick record.

The only problem with the plot is that it was a bit predictable. Once the premise of the episode was set, the plot kinda wrote itself. It also boardered or retreading some earlier episodes with the independent/documentary films... Almost like the plot of "A Star is Burns" meets the theme of "Lisa's Wedding." Makes you think the writer's are rewatching Season 6, huh?

But that's a minor quabble. There's enough stuff you can do with the premise that it allows for the imaginary to go wild.

I didn't think Nelson's movie was too long... It was actually a lot more interesting than Lisa's, which kinda rambled from one scene to the next. Nelson's wasn't the funniest segment, but it was well-directed and amusing in a weird meta-way.

4/5.
    Last edited by Jims; 05-04-2008 at 05:54 PM.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Yeah, I actually liked Nelson's film a lot. It wasn't necessarily funny, but it wasn't really supposed to be either (even in the satirical way that Barney's was in A Star is Burns). Him replacing his mom's bottle with a book was one of his better moments in the past couple years.

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

I don't know why, but over the past two seasons, they've really picked it up near the end. This is just another example. Like last week's, it wasn't LOL funny, but it was definitely entertaining. Chalmers and Skinner were absolutely brilliant tonight, especially when they got deep into the movie business.
    Thought they should have shown more of Lisa's movie and less of Nelson's. I guess we've already seen all the horrible details of the Simpsons' lives so I'll let it slide. Nelson's movie was funny in just how sad it was.
    There were some jokes that turned out better than I thought they would. When I saw the Mormon church, I actually groaned aloud knowing the inevitable polygamy joke was coming. It did come, but they were able to fix it up well enough. Marge looking into the theatres was another bad joke at first, but the conclusion she drew was enough to justify the whole settup.
    4 / 5, and I have great expectations for next week.

Thread Information