View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

21 11.23%
  • 4/5

82 43.85%
  • 3/5

53 28.34%
  • 2/5

21 11.23%
  • 1/5

10 5.35%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Apocalypse Cow" (KABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Apocalypse Cow" (KABF10)

When Bart joins the 4-H Club, he unexpectedly falls in love with a cow named Lou. But when Bart finds out that Lou has been sold to a slaughterhouse, he becomes determined to save him. Bart and Lisa free Lou from the slaughterhouse, and Bart gives the cow to Mary (voiced by Zooey Deschanel), a fellow 4-H Club member. However, Mary’s father mistakenly believes Bart is giving them the cow as a dowry for Mary’s hand in marriage. When Homer and Marge hear of Bart's engagement, they devise a plan to save Lou and free Bart from his marriage.

whats with the shots at tress mcneal

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

those werent shots, they were acknowledgements i thought

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Here are notes I made as the episode airs.

Semi-long opening, hopefully this means the episode isn't packed with filler, which has been a problem with the show as of late.

First act
    Wow, that rabbit at the beginning of the act looked really weird.
    Instead of this crappy clown/transformers show, why couldn't they have had an episode of Itchy & Scratchy? And it looks like I was wrong about the filler.
    The segment with Bart driving the tractor was kind of long without much payoff, although the joke about the manure shooting out Pirates of the Caribean 3 DVDs.
    Wait... I thought it was called the 5H club now...
    Mary's voice sounds too old. She sounds like a 15 year old.
    Wow, a montage that doesn't have some kind of pop culture song, that's something they don't do often.
    Nice montage, but again it didn't have much of a payoff considering that it was a minute long.

So far, so good. They did an okay job of building Bart's relationship with Lou, but there wasn't much for laugh out loud moments. 3/5.

Second act
    Oh great, another meta reference, this time for Tress MacNeiile. They took a great scene that started with Bart feeling bad with and ruined it by mentioning her.
    This episode has some nice animation, well done Nancy Kruse.
    Damn, her father is Cletus.
    They missed a chance for a nice meta reference, they could have had Cletus dancing like Homer did when Lisa played a jug in Homer the Vigilante.

Overall, not a bad act. Again, not a lot of laughs, but some nice buildup, mixed in with some terrible jokes (Barry Bonds, the growth hormone thing). 3/5.

Third act
    Damn, they are making Mary into a one-dimensional hick character like Cletus.
    "We name all out kids after stuff that will happen to them. Ain't that right? Stabbed in Jail?" - Best line of the episode.
    Dia-Betty is back. At least they use her sparingly, unlike the rest of Cletus' family.
    Wow, that's the Plopper moment everyone was excited about?
    It's nice to see Homer and Marge trying to help Bart like in the good ol' days.
    "Laughter house", not bad, not bad.
    It's Apu! Yay!
    The marriage stuff kinda ended quickly and was replaced by the Homer/Marge savinf Bart thing.
    And, of course, the inevitable "Don't have a cow man" reference.

Overall: 2.5/5. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but it didn't have a lot of laughs in it, and there were some pretty stupid things.

shots at tress mcneill? I know that they mentioned her, I don't think they were shots.

it was a pretty decent episode.

5/5. Hilarious. Mary wasn't stupid. Bart had a cow, man. Homer was funny. The episode didn't feel rushed, nice sequence of events. Clown o Morphs or whatever was really funny, it made me spill bong water everywhere. Well, off to bed.
    "and maybe I'm talking this way because I can't stop. Help me, Lisa! I have serious mental problems!"

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Does anyone know what the music at the end of the episode was a reference to?

That episode was surprisingly pretty good, I had really low expectations for another episode about Cletus, but I liked it. I really liked the animal rights idea.

Also does anyone know for sure what that 4-H Club was referencing towards? Cause the name and symbol kinda resemble 4Chan, but I find it very unlikely that the Simpsons would make a nod towards 4Chan. That's the 4Chan logo

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Does anyone know what the music at the end of the episode was a reference to?
    I think it's from the "Beef, it's what's for dinner!" commercial.

Anyway, not a great, not a horrible episode, but it was somewhat boring except for the downright Hillarious "Ralph on a Sawhorse" sight gag.

Not feelin' writing a long review, but: 3/5 seems right.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

3/5
    It was alright. Homer was funny.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle|
    Also does anyone know for sure what that 4-H Club was referencing towards? Cause the name and symbol kinda resemble 4Chan, but I find it very unlikely that the Simpsons would make a nod towards 4Chan.
    It wasn't a reference. 4-H is a real thing (and has been for decades, hence the "It's still a thing" sign). Look it up.
    Last edited by JoshG; 04-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Wow. I love it when the Simpsons don't suck.

I really, really liked this episode. It was evenly-paced, had a good story, strong jokes, and was well animated. A couple of negative points:

1. The "joke" with the cow getting stuck in a tree was pointless.
    2. Actually showing the entire sign during the "laughter house" bit was unnecessary and showed them once again over-explaining a joke.
    3. Marge talking about turning on and off her cell phone has similar problems to point #2 and just felt unnatural.

Other than that, fantastic. Jeff Westbrook did a very good job.

4.5/5 rounded up
    Last edited by SilverEagle; 04-27-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I never got closure on Maggie's spinach eating problem,.. but no matter, I'll survive. Plenty of good combine laughs and cow caring. Too bad Nelsons lookalike cow didn't get saved also. I give this episode a 4/5

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

WOW, I was really surprised by this one. I really enjoyed it alot. There was pretty much no horrible embarrassing moments and the animation was flawless, probably the best of the season animations wise. Wow I gotta watch it again, to really remember alot of the jokes but from what I remember they were really clever and actually funny.

almost 5/5 but what new episodes these days really diserve that, so I gave it a 4/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG
    It wasn't a reference. It's a real thing. Look it up.
    oh I just wiki searched it, lol.

Oh and just another note, I liked to see Plopper once again in an episode.

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

4/5

Fantastic. The episode was fairly well-rounded, had decent buildup, and didn't feel rushed at all. The episode had good meaning to it. I found the acknowledgements of Tress Macneille a bit humorous. Good characterization on Bart's part. The bits with Ralph were simply hilarious. I just didn't like the fact that they made Mary's father Cletus. Another shitload of redneck satire, which is IMO, very tiring. And was it really necessary to have the whole crisis with Homer at the end of the episode? I don't really think we needed closure on that. Overall, decent episode.
    Last edited by Simpsons_Fanboy; 04-27-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Worst. Signature. Ever.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I liked the second Tress Macneille thing much more " Hey that sounds like Tress Macneille" such and obscure name.

And yeah what was with Plopper, is he just going ot show up randomly around town? Or was that just the animators slipping him in? It was like he was owned by that hillbilly.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

It was cute. I can't think of much else to say aside from that - it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exactly anything special, but it was still very entertaining. Some jokes were absolutely terrible and some I actually laughed at.

It was nice to see them get into it, for the most part (aside from that absolutely retarded clown thing. Not funny and went on far too long) and to see Bart get some halfway decent development for caring for the cow, and even to have Mary introduced in fairly early on. It would've been better to see more than two scenes with her before Lisa brings her back up as "your friend" (we got all of that development with the cow, why not with her?) but at least it didn't feel forced when they resorted to her.

And it's really unfortunate that Mary seemed like more than a one-dimensional character before that wedding stuff, but then she just turned into a complete hick and that was unfortunate because it seemed like, at the beginning, they were actually hinting towards her having some character. The episode REALLY would have benefitted to spending more time on Mary and to not throw out what they got a good start on. Still. Cute. 4/5.

Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. The plot was pretty useless, but there were a couple of decent gags. C+

the intro/couch gag was terrible...lik wtf is was that
    and i was expecting homers escape from the "laughter house" to be alittle more drawn out then that
    overall a B+

I can see your doodle, I'm with you.

In general an eh episode.

I do disagree in that Tress is one of my heroes and enjoyed the 'tip o the hat' to her. Thought one more ref would have pushed it into the absurd arena of Classic Simpsons. Beyond that a lot of the stuff was predictable.

Showing Bart headed toward the laundry then showing it folded...fmeh. It would have been better had we been made to guess why we were seeing blocks of folded clothes for a few seconds and then as the camera pulled back we see that Bart is running over clotheslines. The scene just lasted too long. The Pirates thing was funny as was the water, but the buildup took to long and I felt a bit insulted.

Apu was again predictable. Cletus et al were o.k. but the whole series of scenes about the wedding were so so. There was some humor there, but everything seemed to move slow and the payoff for the buildup was a letdown. A B-story may have made the episode better.

The ref to Casablanca was nice.

In general the episode seemed flat and slow with funny moments. My three is a result of 2 Tress refs. A two and a half without.
    You may remember me from such educational films as : 'Supercolliders and You - Stop, Drop and Evaporate' and 'So the Universe is about to Implode' and 'Dark Matter - It's Not Just For Nightmares Anymore'.

Tonite on Rock Bottom

I'm very surprised on this one. 4/5. I laughed my ass off with the Manure=Pirates of Caribbean gag.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really liked this episode, it wasn't lame and had some great jokes. I just was disappointed when they changed the joke of homer saying, "I will never eat meat again...for two weeks." to him listing the meats he will eat. I thought it would be a nice callback joke to the one in "lisa the iconoclast." overall decent episode, 4/5. By the way, were there any "apocalypse now" references?

this episode was basically a series of random events

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Hmmm... this episode wasn't hysterical, but it felt very natural and organic, if you will, pardon the pun. I think maybe the only plot contrivance might have been the wedding at the end of the second act where Brandine announces that giving a cow means marriage. Also, the looseness of going back and forth between cow and bull kind of annoyed me, but it wasn't that bad since at least they are the same animal.

I really liked the ending with the reference to "Don't have a cow, man." I knew it was going to be there somewhere in the episode and I liked it as the ending point. When I saw the cow in the truck, I knew it was Homer, but up until that point, I didn't know that's what was going to happen, and actually found it pretty clever. For some reason, the Tress McNeille references cracked me up and, even if I didn't know anything about the show, I probably would have found Homer's callback in the slaughterhouse even funnier. Homer had some great lines.

All the family members were in top form. Mary (or "Marry" as her name indicates) was fairly dull, but I was glad they didn't make her and Bart's relationship into a romance. She seemed there for Bart to have a place to hide the cow, which worked much better. The redneck jokes were okay, but the one that got the laughs in the room was Cletus' kid with the tail.

First part with the 4H club was decent setup. All in all, pretty solid. I'm giving it a 4/5 around a B or B-. Not amazing, but enjoyable. It seems like the type of episode that could be a guilty pleasure of some people.

OH yeah...couch gag 5/5. Ralph sawhorse cow 5/5!!!!

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

Overall not a bad episode but nothing that spectacular either. The funniest things were just the little background touches like Ralph's cow. Some jokes were overexplained but others were well done. The plot seemed a little slow to develop, and I was kind of disappointed to find that Mary's father was Cletus. "Milk is murder" and "Cheese is genocide" were both hilarious. Stabbed in Jail was funny and short enough to not interfere with the plot too much.

It's hard for anything in this era to get a 5 / 5, but this comes pretty close with a high 4

Springfield acknowledges the "infamy" of Tress MacNeille. :silly:

Other than that, I couldn't really get into this episode. It was, what, the second time Bart was almost-married in 14 months. And they have done stories about saving livestock before.

Sorry, folks. Didn't put me in much of a mood for anything.

2.5/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 4/5.

Pretty decent episode, some good emotional build-up with the cow and Bart, and some good gags and jokes tossed in to make this a good episode.

The couch gag has been used before, but it was a long one, so I had an initial doubt about this episode.

But that doubt was put to rest, as the episode progressed. Things that made this possible (AKA what I liked):

Jokes about the 4-H club worked well, like such as the joke about how the group is responsible for the most amputations than any other kid's club.
    Bart driving the combine (though I saw Pirates of the Caribean III and enjoyed that movie a lot!)
    Ralph on the wooden horse.
    The bit where Cletus describes how giving a girl a cow is actually a wedding proposal.
    Cletus describing the kids names.
    The bit between Lisa and Bart -- stop stiring your lemonaide with a sausage!
    Homer in the slaughter house.
    Apu's line about how the food and medicine usually used for people would be used on the cow.
    Bart's reference to "don't have a cow" at the end.

Some of the things that I felt were weak or out of character:
    Marge turning off her cell phone -- how's she going to press 9-1 just in case?
    Homer punching Ned in the face for no real reason -- Homer often goes over to do physical harm to Ned, but Marge usually stops him first.
    Marge and Homer using sock puppets to get Maggie to eat her spinach -- just seemed out of character -- more so for Homer, than Marge.

Other than that -- great episode.
    Last edited by OfficerWriter; 04-27-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    OfficerWriter

Anyone else like the way they've been handling Plopper? They only show him briefly for quick gags or a nod to him and they're not overdoing it at all.

Thread Information