View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - your episode touched me deeply in a way I've never felt before. and which way to the can?

7 3.26%
  • 4/5 - a big sack of sugar

64 29.77%
  • 3/5 - as smart as you are handsome

60 27.91%
  • 2/5 some dumb ass army guy

54 25.12%
  • 1/5 - This just takes precious airtime away from Family Guy, whose profanity & cruelty amuses us all

30 13.95%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Papa Don't Leach" (KABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Papa Don't Leach" (KABF09)

Lisa discovers that the town of Springfield has not collected millions of dollars worth of taxes. As a result, the town starts collecting from most of the evaders and the only remaining debtor is Lurleen Lumpkin. As the police try to find her, Lurleen stays with the Simpson family. Lurleen is reunited with her father; however, he sells her songs to the Dixie Chicks.

...because we were all clamoring for a return of Lurleen Lumpkin.

Erm...it was an...episode.
    I was going to give it a 3/5, but it really kind-of sucked.

2/5
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Junior Camper

I dunno... It could have been a pretty good episode. Too many things ruined it for me though. If you had the same plot but had another show runner EPing it, then this may have been a 4/5.

But, like I said, Al Jean sucks. 2/5.

Junior Camper

As an obsessive "Sopranos" fan, I can't even say how tickled I was by the opening sequence (though I wondered how many other people didn't get it). Even before the car went over the edge of the hill, I yelled out "Sopranos!", and my dad said I was crazy, seeing 'Soprano' references where there isn't any. I felt pretty good when we all realized I was right, though.

I enjoyed the episode, certainly a lot more than I thought I was going to. I'm glad they didn't 'ruin' "Colonel Homer" with this one (by which I mean: I'm glad I'm not going to have to completely remove this one from my memory). Loved the first act references to "Colonel Homer" ("Bunk With Me Tonight", Marge's teeth-gritting). And later, I was glad to see Colonel Homer again, but I groaned at Major Marge.

There wasn't much that didn't work for me in this one, actually. Very few real "misses". And I really liked the end.

3.5/5, rounded up to 4.

It was a fairly good episode, I just hated the beginning, when Homer killed Grampa, I hated that joke, and I also enjoyed the cheesey song later on, and "I'm gonna buy a clock radio" made me laugh, yet I don't like the Dixie Chicks.

I enjoyed it. It was pleasant, kind of touching, and had a handful of funny jokes.

But the characters...hmmm... whoever wrote this episode needs to understand that character's can't pronounce how they feel in one scene and then act completely different in the very next. Aside from the opening sequence, I thought the jokes were funny. Which is all I can ask for nowadays.

Hmmm, now that I know the opening sequence is from the Sopranos, it makes me feel a little better about it, but it's still too out of the blue for me to enjoy it.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

These are some notes I made as the episode aired.

Missed the couch gag... D'oh!

First act
    The bit with Homer and Grampa in the car started out okay, but then it fell into the old trap of listing things to kill time.
    Having Homer and Grampa's car be run off by Patty and Selma was a nice touch.
    The car crash was decent enough.
    Homer dreaming about killing Grampa? Are you serious? Once again they are making Homer act more like Peter Griffin than classic era Homer.
    The exchange between Lisa and Quimby was interesting enough.
    Once again a town meeting where someone comes up with an idea out of nowhere. They used these a lot in the 16th season.
    Lisa going through the backtazes was kind of random.
    Wow, Lurleen's singing voice sounds really off.
    Some nice callbacks to Colonel Homer, with Marge grinding her teeth and Lurleen singing "bunk with me tonight" to Kermit
    Lurleen's voice still sounds off, they should have had D'Angelo use a more raspy voice to fit in with Doris Grau's. I don't like that they didn't update her design at all.
    Marge and Homer's muffled exchange was pretty funny.
    So far, so good. It's nice to see Marge have pity on Lurleen, and there has been good build up so far, and I really hope the next acts don't screw things up.
    4/5, -.5 for that Homer dreaming of killing Grampa, so 3.5/5

Second act
    Lurleen's voice still sounds really bad. They should have used a raspy voice rather than D'Angelo trying to impersonate her old voice.
    The baliff sounded different than the normal actors, who played him?
    The one eyebrowed baby is back, very nice.
    Now Homer wants to abandon his family... Terrific.
    Now Homer wants to commit suicide... Fantastic.
    Lurleen and her father reuniting was kind of sudden, they could have built it up more.
    Homer's ass on a t-shirt is one of the best jokes so far.
    I'm not sure I like Homer being jealous of Lurleen's father.
    The second song was pretty uninspired.
    "Here comes Grampa with an Otter", was a good end to the song
    Not as good as the first act, but not terrible. Some things seemed a little rushed, like Lurleen and her father making up. Homer has had some terrible moments in this episode, and it pretty much spits in the face of classic era Homer.
    3/5.

Third act
    Great line from Bart to begin the act.
    The Dixie Chicks song was also pretty bad. Why did they devote a minute of the act to them singing a crappy song, and then 15 seconds of Lurleen's father slapping himself?
    It's nice to see Marge feeling for Lurleen and helping her out.
    I liked the design of Lurleen's fourth husband.
    Well, an okay third act, but it could have been better. It seemed rather short, and while the Dixie Chicks appearance wasn't horrible, it wasn't that great either.
    2.5/5

Overall, not a bad episode, some bad Homer moments, lurleen's voice was really off and the songs seemed rushed and uninspiring, but I really liked marge feeling for Lurleen and the first act was good.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Missed the couch gag... D'oh!
    They were painted onto the couch by a brush. A thankfully short intro.

Except for Homer killing Grandpa great funny episode 4/5

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought this episode was irritating as hell from start to finish. Especially Homer's characterization...Dreaming about killing his father? Whining annoyingly about wanting to leave his family? "Suicide axe"? Jesus Christ...

Lurleen was pretty terrible here. In "Colonel Homer", she seemed to love Homer because he was the first guy to ever treat her kindly. Now she apparently just has a fetish for fat bald guys. Her father was annoyingly one-dimensional too (IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW HE'S SLEAZY, HE WEARS A SHIRT THAT SAYS "NO CHILD SUPPORT").

As for the song lyrics, all I have to say is that I don't see any of them winning an Emmy this year, to say the least. I normally like pretty much every episode, but wow, just wow....1/5

The beginning was weird as hell, but I liked it. It made me think, "Holy shit, I know they're not really killing him off, but Homer just attempted murder."

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Xihix
    But, like I said, Al Jean sucks. 2/5.
    Yea man, you're so cool!

I'm surrounded by country music all the time, I watch the Simpsons in order to get away from all that,... but not to night apparently. So its time to stop being Mr nice Gator and take the kids gloves off and lay into this episode.

.. I liked it! I really liked it! I enjoyed all the random goodness in the first act the most. once it got to the Dixie Chicks my enjoyment tapered off oh so slowly, but not enough to ruin the half hour. I was gonna give it a perfect score but the DC's stole one away. ..no sweat, it happens. better stuffs on the horizon. 4/5

Eh, I'd give it a 3/5. Am I the only one who thinks Lurleens dad looked too young?

Junior Camper

decent episode, I gave it 4/5... all the Season 19 Episodes don't feel like they are even in the same league as 17 & 18... and I mean that in a good way, Season 19 is a huge step up and even though it may not have been the best Simpsons episode, I don't have much bad to say. Very entertaining!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I thought this episode was irritating as hell from start to finish. Especially Homer's characterization...Dreaming about killing his father? Whining annoyingly about wanting to leave his family? "Suicide axe"? Jesus Christ...
    Like I mentioned in my review, I also thought those moments were terrible, they make Homer seem more like Peter Griffin than his classic era self. However, I thought the episode also had its share of okay stuff.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

It was alright. I think those who don't watch the Soprano's are immediately gonna hate the g-pa thing. I'll issue a lengthier review upon rewatch. But as for now 3/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My overal rating: 3/5.

Tonight's episode was okay -- just that -- okay. It wasn't overly fall on the floor funny, and it wasn't eyes water till you can't hold back the tears heartfelt. It was, well, just okay.

As someone already mentioned, the opening did spoof The Sopranos -- and being a Sopranos fan myself, I thought it was interesting, though it dragged on to long.

The fight between Lisa and Quimby was funny, as was the town hall meeting. I also thought it was ironic that they were going to try and cheat the federal government, despite failing to collect their own local taxes -- and for once that irony wasn't hammered home to us.

I'm not a big fan of country music, so when Bart spray paints on the wall "country music sucks" I laughed and felt his pain.

The story was there, but they just seemed to rush it too much. There wasn't any real build-up to the father/daughter reunion, and not enough emotional tension when he leaves again.

I enjoyed the songs in this episode, even though they were country. The words were funny if you listen to them -- something about how Fox News controls our thoughts? LOL

I liked the return of Colonel Homer, with Marge grinding her teeth and Lurleen singing "bunk with me tonight" to Kermit.

The muffled exchange between Marge and Homer wasn't funny -- just so-so. It might have been nice if Bart or Lisa chimed in with something, to make it more punchy or real.

I thought the People's Court attempt by The baliff was really funny. They could have made it more hilarious if he brought in a tape recorder and played the theme song from the People's Court, just before the judge stops him.

The bit in the photo booth was probably one of the funnier moments, ending with Homer's ass on a t-shirt.

Overal, nothing spectacular, but nothing majorly wrong either -- like I said, just okay.
    OfficerWriter

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie

Lurleen was pretty terrible here. In "Colonel Homer", she seemed to love Homer because he was the first guy to ever treat her kindly. Now she apparently just has a fetish for fat bald guys. Her father was annoyingly one-dimensional too (IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW HE'S SLEAZY, HE WEARS A SHIRT THAT SAYS "NO CHILD SUPPORT").

As for the song lyrics, all I have to say is that I don't see any of them winning an Emmy this year, to say the least. I normally like pretty much every episode, but wow, just wow....1/5
    That about sums it up. With the exception of a few decent lines, it was basically complete shit.

Junior Camper

4/5

I really have no more to say.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say this is the best episode of the season, but I still thought it was great.
    First Act: Besides Homer dreaming about killing his father, I thought it was a good introduction to the episode with good laughs. (4/5)
    Second Act: More good laughs, except I thought it went with the story well. I know others didn't like the Homer jokes, but I thought they were pretty decent. I don't think the songs hurt the episode either. (4.5/5)
    Third Act: It was pretty decent, except I thought it was a little short. It's not a good thing to be shocked when the credits appear, but that happened with this episode. However, besides the abrupt ending, I thought I was a good continuation of the episode. (3.5/5)
    Overall: 4/5
    PS: I liked all of the Homer variations.

Didn't like it. 2/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz
    Eh, I'd give it a 3/5. Am I the only one who thinks Lurleens dad looked too young?
    I was thinking that too -- Marge mentions that Lurleen is 34-years-old, yet her dad didn't look much older than that either.

Bleh. What was the point? Yet another excuse to avoid having any family-based episodes, and because of a character everyone has long forgotten about. For every good joke there was a terrible one, and vice-versa. The only completely enjoyable bit was the Lisa girl scout/Quimby segment. I liked the story, and the Dixie Chicks satire was pretty sharp, but overall a boring episode.

2.75 rounded up to a 3/5

PS: Homer's characterization sucked. Suicide axe FTL.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

It felt like they were trying to reach for something meaningful but they just didn't really grasp it, at all. Maybe a little but ultimately? It came off as unnatural and forced.

There were a couple of funny moments (I liked how quickly Bart got the axe, Patty and Selma, the photobooth thing) but a lot of the jokes felt really off with the characters. Homer felt insanely off, though Marge was pretty good.

I liked the callback with Marge grinding her teeth so hard but didn't like Lurleen singing "Bunk With Me Tonight" to Kermit (although Miss Piggy proceeding to strangle him was funny). I liked Marge taking pity on Lurleen and even trying to help her out in the end (though I REALLY wish Homer had actually said something meaningful to her, too), and while the very end was kinda funny, I was... um... a little put off by it. It really felt to me more like Marge should have come to terms and properly identified with Lurleen after how she just helped her out so much, unless that was just all a big show or something? Whatever... she pulled a 180 and it didn't really sit right with me.

I don't really have a problem with Lurleen turning to guys that looked like Homer - to me, it seemed like she was just trying to relive that bit she found with Homer way back when. Kinda sad actually. Wish things like that had been explored a little more rather than wasting time on those bad Homer jokes.

This one really had potential but it was muddied up with questionable Homer and not enough time properly spent on the emotional aspect of the story. A lot of stuff was out of nowhere and it just... didn't... I dunno. I guess it just didn't flow nicely. Out of an entire episode that should have clicked (like Colonel Homer did), it only did that maybe once or twice.

Lurleen did sound really off but I liked the songs for the most part.

I dunno. I guess it wasn't so bad overall - 3/5?

An anticipated episode ended up being a mixed bag of ideas.

It started with another new couch gag. The 13th new gag out of 16 episodes this season! Wow, the staff can still think of something new to please the viewer at the beginning. Then onto act 1. The idea of Homer killing Grampa was just horrible, thankfully it was just a dream, but still, it was something that really just didn't seem right. Thankfully, the rest of the act was near perfect. A nice callback to Colonel Homer when Marge grinded her teeth and Bart called Homer "Colonel Homer." Act 1 gets a 4.5/5 (penalty for the Grampa scene at the beginning.)

Act 2 seemed a bit bland, as it seemed like the episode was going nowhere. Then it jumped to the main plot: her father leaving her. The episode started to pick up steam when Lurleen started singing. Oh, did anybody notice that Lurleen's dad's beat-boxing in the songs was similar to what Bart wanted to do during the recording session in Colonel Homer? Anyways, it was nice to see Marge help Lurleen, whereas she originally was against Homer being her manager.

Act 3 started a bit slow, with the Dixie Chicks singing their song, but it was nice to see them attack Mr. Lumpkin when they found out that he stole their songs from Lurleen. The only letdown was Marge cursing at Lurleen because she hit on Homer at the very end, and the fact that Lurleen's song during the credits (or was it the Dixie Chicks version?) was cut off just so a promo could run. Damn the Fox network.

Overall: 4/5, as the episode had a full plot despite a few bland moments.

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

This episode had just enough funny lines to keep it from getting a one. Seriously, they don't need to bring Lurleen back. If they had wanted to do that ten years ago, I would have understood.

First act was pretty good. I'm not as against the Grandpa killing thing as everybody else, but it did seem a little weird. Thought Mayor Quimby was pretty good, and I loved the town's idea to get more money, especially the way it turned out. Quimby skipping the first and last names on the list was good (but why did Milhouse owe taxes?)

Went downhill from there. I always hate it when they waste time with a song instead of having an actual story. Homer's characterization was just aweful, turning him from a jerkass to someone absolutely hatable. Suicide Axe, what the hell was that?

Only other things I liked were Bart's line about crazy people and Homer's T-shirt.

2 / 5 but barely

The episode reminded me a lot of "The Ziff Who Came to Dinner" - old flame of either Homer or Marge returning with money troubles (causing the occasional tension around the house), main focus of the story taking too long to get going and struggling too much to stay focused, and ultimately feeling like a bit of an unnecessary/forgettable episode.

The episode had enough laughs to satisfy me (the whole opening sequence, capped off with a Sopranos parody that was not overt and therefore is not a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen the episode - good move on that one), and enough good characterization, but the story is where it suffered.

It jumped around from: Dream sequence, Lisa selling cookies, town money problems, Lurleen money problems, Lurleen hating men now, Lurleen reuniting with her father, her father ditching her, to Lurleen re-launching her career again. It seems like too much in one episode, whereas one of those many angles could have been explored better. Lurleen's songs weren't as touching or memorable in this episode compared to "Colonel Homer" either, but they were pretty decent overall. However, I got really sick of her father's slap solos (I get the feeling I'm not alone on that one around here, without reading any other reviews yet). Overall, the father was a one-dimensional character with nothing interesting to say, or anything unpredictable to do.

Also, the problem with musical numbers these days is that when they're supposed to be touching sad ones, there is way too much an emphasis on packing in too many sight gags as possible. It's as if within 3 seconds of the beginning of the song, the camera just flies all over town, showing everyone responding to the emotion in the song in funny ways. Happened here with the pets hugging and Maggie calling Gerald, and it happened a few times in "A Star is Torn", "The President Wore Pearls", and other episodes. I think aside from the music fitting the heart of the story in "Colonel Homer", the songs were effective because they were concentrated on heightening the emotion of the song itself (through good camera work, staying focused on the singer and the response from people who matter, not just random onlookers, and just letting things breathe a bit). I bet if "Colonel Homer" were made now, there would be squirrels and birds hooking up outside the trailer when Lurleen sings "bunk with me tonight" to Homer (which, by the way, is one of the series' most touching musical moments ever - I can't imagine 1 full minute of episode time being treated with such seriousness and emotion these days). I feel like I'm rambling a bit, so I'll stop before this turns into total nonsense.

Overall, a good episode though, despite story flaws.
    3/5

PS: I agree, the suicide axe joke was totally unnecessary. Homer and Bart were entirely too cruel to one another (and themselves) in this episode. "Daddy's Special Pair" was easily the best joke of the episode.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 04-13-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Signature.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I came here to expect this one universally praised and prepared to say it was good, but probably not as great as you all thought it would be. Now, I am put in that other position, surprised by the low grades. There were plenty of laugh out loud moments, including Kermit's appearance, the bailiff with Judge Snyder, and practically all the songs. I despise country music, though I liked The Dixie Chicks' appearance, mainly because of their altered lyrics. Oh yeah, there was an actual story in this one, and in some ways, I enjoyed it more than the marriage crisis plot of the other Lurleen episode.

One thing that I really liked about the episode was that it felt slow, while moving along extremely quickly with the plot. It didn't feel like they lingered too much to hammer home anything or to drag out any emotion. The episode seemed chock full of 'stuff.' The pacing reminded me of season 6 style.

The moments I didn't like were the suicide axe joke, which seemed unnecessary and pretty stupid. Lurleen's voice was pretty off, as was Quimby's. Marge's comment about Lenny and Carl seemed pretty forced. The rest of the episode had some good stuff, so these moments I was able to brush aside. Both act breaks were good by the way, especially "You're a bigger woman than me."

And, while the opening sequence didn't have me laughing hysterically, I am laughing more hysterically over the nerdy obsessive fans in this thread who clamor about Homer's characterization over a dream sequence. "OMG, there goes Homer Griffin! Even in his dreams, Homer's characterization is off!" How dumb. I got more laughs out of those reactions than the initial scene. Thanks!

I give it a solid B, 4/5, it might become higher with rewatch.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

It's not without its charm. There were a few likable aspects of this episode, including Lurleen's somewhat sweet, sympathetic characterization, Marge agreeing to help her, and the surprisingly decent design and voice acting of the Dixie Chicks. The show also managed to throw in some solid gags as well, including Homer's butt on a T-shirt (with the kids laughing at it) and my personal favorite, Grampa with the otter. Kermit and the various Colonel Homer references were good (even if Homer himself didn't really do anything at all in the story), and even the songs weren't bad.

I think the biggest issue, then, (besides Homer's characterization) comes in the form of pacing. The episode aimed to be emotional, but it didn't quite come together the way it was intended, probably due to a lack of development in the father character and too much unrealistic/jokey dialogue. There're still way too many instances of characters verbally announcing how they feel to no one in particular, large chunks of exposition that make everything feel less genuine and relatable. Homer's characterization was way off at points--parody or not, having a pleasant dream about killing one's father is just mentally unstable. And suicide and abandonment jokes (especially when compared to the "You've got a beautiful family, Homer" scene from Colonel Homer) just show how far his character has gone since season 3.

That aside, there were more laughs than usual, and I have to give the episode credit for not devolving into a marriage crisis like some feared. Not a bad effort, but definitely needed some tweaking.

3/3.5 out of 5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

The story was very uninspired and boring but there were a fair number of funny moments, like the Sopranos parody, so 2.5/5.

And I don't see the Homer characterization issue in the opening. It was just a dream sequence. It's not like we haven't seen Simpsons family members dreaming of brutally killing each other before. "Impaled on my nobel peace prize. How ironic."

Thread Information