View Poll Results: How would you rate "Smoke on the Daughter"?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

27 12.33%
  • 4/5

87 39.73%
  • 3/5

59 26.94%
  • 2/5

28 12.79%
  • 1/5

18 8.22%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Smoke on the Daughter" (KABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Smoke on the Daughter" (KABF08)

WATCH THE EPISODE ONLINE

When Lisa convinces Marge to pursue her childhood dream of becoming a ballerina by auditioning for the Chazz Busby Ballet Academy, Chazz discovers Lisa’s natural talent and enrolls her in the academy instead. During a break from practice, Lisa inhales her fellow ballerinas’ cigarette smoke and attributes her improvement in ballet to smoking. Lisa soon becomes addicted to secondhand smoke, with no chance of quitting in sight. Meanwhile, Homer shows Bart his secret room where he manufactures beef jerky. When Homer realizes that a family of raccoons have made off with his beef, he decides to confront the animals.

Discuss!

... As for me:

Pleasantly surprised! That wasn’t anywhere close to the total trainwreck I thought it would be. The whole smoking thing didn’t come off as OBSCENELY ridiculous, and it was really great to see Homer actually concerned for his daughter. Very nice to have seen the beef jerky bit kept short and sweet (can that even count as a sub”plot” though? And was it necessary for Homer to point out how the raccoons were obviously the family?) and the ballet bit given the proper attention it deserved. Some bits were actually funny, too (I liked the second act break and my dad completely cracked up at it).

But yeah. I loved seeing Homer actually concerned for Lisa, and even though there were quite a number of lame jokes (what the hell was that ending?) it was pretty okay. 4/5.
    Last edited by arii; 04-01-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Water on that Damn Shit! Ezekiel 25:17's Avatar

i liked how the two plots converged

actually an OK episode

4/5

thats a line of three kick-ass episodes in a row!
    For christ's sake, just wank. Everyone wanks.
    Your dad wanks. Your grandad wanks. The priests wank. I bet the pope has a good tug on his todger once in a while.

I thought this was pretty good actually. Early descriptions had me worried, but despite the fact that the plot was rather ridiculous, the writing was solid. 4/5

Junior Camper

Where is everybody? Anyway I liked it especially the beginning and Bart knowing the tv spoilers. Another good episode to make 3 in a row!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

good but not great, I liked both stories and like iceiwynd already stated, it was nice to see homer looking out for Lisa
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Homer to Bart: ..Make the whole world hate you!

Not me,.. I liked this from start to finish. I laughed out loud so much. Every part struck the right note. This was Simpsons at it best and I consider myself well entertained!
    Project "Crazy Plan" was a success! Homer rules! ..Loved all the little details, such as homer tying a mask on a raccoon that already was a natural face mask. that one inpaticular made me laugh out loud
    5/5 Viva los Simpsons!

season 19 has arguably been the most hit-or-miss season so far

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I am very surprised by how well this episode is being received. It was just really boring to me, the only parts I liked were at the beginning and the part with Apu and thats it, everything else was pretty boring and jumbled up. Why the heck did the racoons help him out and how? it was just really confusing and stupid to me.

2/5
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Junior Camper

Great show. I laughed hard at the whole part with Marge's box of shattered dreams.

It didn't suck. 3/5

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

The second act break killed me. I laughed until it came back from the break. Not going to rate it yet, I'll have to watch it again on FOD tomorrow. But, as Chuckles said, it didn't suck.

Pleasantly surprised! I particularly liked Homer shooting the cigarette and the line that followed. Also, I liked the little touch where Homer pokes the knife near Bart's face when he talks to him at the one part. Ned's super conservatism seems to be a must every time he makes an appearance, however, which makes me sad since the original joke with him was funny.

4/5

EDIT: I also really liked the mask gag, even if it's probably been done a lot.
    Last edited by HappyPalooza; 03-30-2008 at 05:18 PM.

I didn't care for it. The main plot and subplot didn't click for me. They felt really jumbled and messily tied together. I felt the ballet plot was pretty dull and as I expected, the secondhand smoke thing with Lisa wasn't at all funny. I never liked subplots with Bart acting as the straight man to Homer, so unsuprisingly, I didn't like the subplot either. I liked the beginning with the Angelica Buttons callback, but even that felt out-of-place. And the episode didn't wrap up too well; the joke at the end with Bart as a wrestler was really bad IMO. All in all, I wasn't impressed and just didn't find much to laugh at. I'm suprised that it's getting such a good reception so far. But to each their own.

2/5, rounded up from a 1.5.
    Last edited by Chou; 03-30-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    "Alright, alright, if it will make you happy, I'll overthrow society."

Junior Camper

I dug the second act break quite a bit, and I enjoyed watching Maggie beat Bart up for some reason.

But other than that, this episode wasn't for me. I just wasn't buying Lisa's story-line whatsoever, and frankly, they shouldn't have been selling it. The whole second-hand smoke thing was poorly executed and painfully unfunny.

The various girls' reactions to withdrawals (and after such a brief period of time? C'mon!) were especially cringeworthy. The "smoking" of the 'No Smoking' sign or the hair, the chewing on Sideshow Mel's bone - It was all so awkward.

2/5. And that's being way generous. I just don't like giving out 1's so much.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I actually forgot to watch this ep... D'oh!

Anyway, Wikipedia says that Homer and Marge watch Mary Hart on ET. Is it actually her in a guest spot, or an impersonation?

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Surprisingly good.

The positives:
    Some really good laugh out loud stuff in this episode, especially the misleading second act break, which simply was confusingly hysterical. I also have to say the dance instructor was quite an interesting one-time character who was good for some laughs, though he kinda wore thin by the end. Lisa's commentary in the end about ballet was similar to the guns joke, not as funny, but definitely good for a "screw the audience" type laugh.

Homer being appalled by his daughter possibly smoking was definitely very redeeming and made him seem like less of a jerkass the rest of the episode. I'm glad they didn't have Lisa actually smoke, which she has been tempted by peer pressure to do before (Separate Vocations), but never went through with. Marge's influence on Lisa was creative rather than detrimental to the plot. I always feel that when they try to cram too much in for every character, it takes away from the show, but this time I felt Marge got the right amount of air time.

It was great to see Apu for what he was originally designed for, which is a Kwik-E-Mart clerk. It was refreshing to see him and he has been sorely underused in the past 7 seasons or so.

The negatives:
    Well, the plot was really thin on paper and while it was made very believable in practice, it still was a pretty poor plot. Also, the ending scene with the dancers felt silly and stupid at points, but I don't hold it against this episode since its plot wasn't exactly the most realistic one they've had. The final joke with Bart as a wrestler didn't work for me.

Overall, very good, despite the terrible sounding plot. I should learn to stop prejudging. 4/5 B/B+

Some good bits, primarily in the first half of the episode (box of shattered dreams, Apu visiting the jerky closet, the first scenes involving the ballet coach - including his ad), but as the episode went on, there were fewer laugh-out-loud gags and more strangely over-extended bits (such as all the kids flipping out in the recital scene which played more as awkward and bizarre than funny, and Marge really pumping up how happy Lisa's dancing is making her when asked by Homer). There were also four jokes where I saw the punchline coming a mile away, which was a bit much:

- Homer's line, "how easy is it to get cigarettes in America these days?"
    - Homer eating the sleeping pill jerky instead of the raccoon.
    - Homer blaming the invasion on Flanders instead of the raccoons.
    - Lisa's speech being about ballet, not cigs.

The Angelica Button scenes at the start had no place in this episode, but were definitely enjoyable. Despite some good gags and some lesser gags, the stories were both a bit on the weak uninteresting side, but they converged nicely. The animation direction was excellent and the voice acting was generally quite good too (except for Bart, who lately has sounded overly cartoony and girly, IMO). The humor so all over the place though, with too many jokes being way too in your face for my liking. Overall, the episode was really a mixed bag. 2.5/5
    Last edited by Tomacco; 03-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Signature.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My Rating: 3/5

This was an okay episode -- not great, but not terrible either. It had some funny bits, but for the most part it was just entertaining.

It was nice to see the roles reversed slightly -- Marge going crazy and getting Lisa to jump into her wants, instead of it being a Homer/Bart related thing.

And it was nice to see Homer really care for Lisa, enough to scheme a plot to remove the smokes from the dancers.

Most of the funny jokes were over-hammered into us. Like when Homer pulls out a gun, and shoots out the cigarette, only to reveal he's got a whole stash of guns in his coat, as he says it is too easy to get a cigarette in this town. Another example, is when Homer pointed out how the racoons resembled his family.

My biggest beef with tonight's episode wasn't to do with the episode, but to do with GlobalTV/CanWest up here in Canada. They usually carry the FOX feed, but as they were running something else, they switched to the FOX feed AFTER the couch gag had already played -- missing the whole intro!!!

If there is anyone on here from FOX, maybe you should consider another Canadian broadcaster for the Canadian carrying rights -- Global/CanWest always screws up your feeds. They either miss the openings, or often start carrying the show well into the show, so that dedicated Simpson's fans fume and fumble with what just happened.

Thankfully, I have time-shifting, so I can catch whatever Global messed up later. But not everyone is so lucky.

Anyway, back to the show. . .

I liked the bit between Apu, Homer and Bart, that probably was the funniest bit in the show. To think that Homer could use PowerPoint. . . remember when he was able to work from home: "Press any key to begin. Where's the any key?"

Overal, I think this episode was okay, but like I said already, nothing special.
    OfficerWriter

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Anyway, Wikipedia says that Homer and Marge watch Mary Hart on ET. Is it actually her in a guest spot, or an impersonation?
    Impersonation.

Tonight's episode made me realize how much the show's writing has gone down the shitter. Lines such as (paraphrase?) "I always stand this way when I'm telling adults how to behave" don't seem like anything the characters would naturally say. Lots of stilted sitcom style writing.

But the show picked up a little in the third act.

2/5

Pin Pal

I was disappointed with this episode. The ending was too wacky.

2/5

in a nightmare, i am falling vriskatime's Avatar

Originally posted by Chuckles Manson
    It didn't suck.
    Agreed. 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by homer2121
    The ending was too wacky.
    Al Jean has never been very good with endings IMO

Blog Entries

Pretty bad overall.

Probably the best part of the episode was the dance instructor's characterization. When I saw it was going to be ballet, I was worried they were going to have a prissy instructor like in "Homer vs Patty & Selma." But this guy was sarcastic and mean, which was funny.

Other than that, the episode didn't do much for me. Two fairly weak plots without many memorable jokes. 2/5.

EDIT: And what was up with the ending? Awwwwkwaaaard...

Quote Originally Posted by Jims
    Two fairly weak plots without many memorable jokes. 2/5.
    The "Wrong Number" joke had me in hysterics

same with the cigarette/gun joke

I liked it. There were a few poorly-timed gags, and I already saw that the raccoons resembled the Simpsons before Homer pointed that out.

I'm not sure. Seems like Bart would've taught Lisa some ballet since he did it himself.

3.5/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Quote Originally Posted by Jims
    Pretty bad overall.

And what was up with the ending? Awwwwkwaaaard...
    I also found the ending awkward. It looked like they forgot to write one when they originally created this episode, and so at the last minute, they decided to whip something together and just use it.

They could have had a much stronger ending, but when you leave things to the last minute, they tend to fall apart.

If the deadness of this thread is any indication of the episode's Nielsen ratings....

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the writers would've gone down the route of all the girls being "victims of parents living through their kids" instead of the "smoking makes us good", I would've enjoyed it more. Anyway, the first 2/3rds were fairly entertaining, but the kids freaking out and trying to smoke everything in sight was one of the worst things I've seen in the show's history. And the 'walk off' with the ballet instructor lasted two scenes too long, IMO.

3/5.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    If the deadness of this thread is any indication of the episode's Nielsen ratings....
    Might be -- then again, it took me a while to find this thread on here. Maybe others are having trouble locating it?

Usually the rate and review of tonight's episode is on the main page, but tonight I had to search for it.

Thread Information