101 44.69%
  • 3/5: Narc

41 18.14%
  • 2/5: Snitch

11 4.87%
  • 1/5: Tattletale

1 0.44%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RATE AND REVIEW: "The Debarted" (KABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RATE AND REVIEW: "The Debarted" (KABF06)

RATE AND REVIEW: "The Debarted" (KABF06)

SUMMARY:
    When a new, tough-looking kid at school named Donny (Topher Grace) teams up with Bart to help him carry out his pranks, Bart thinks he has found his ultimate partner in crime. However, when Bart’s seemingly foolproof pranks begin to backfire, Groundskeeper Willie warns Bart that he smells a rat in Bart’s group of friends. With Principal Skinner on his case and the possibility of expulsion on the horizon, Bart must figure out who he can trust and who he must get rid of before it is too late. Meanwhile, Homer receives a fancy loaner car after Marge damages their old car in an accident, and he grows extremely attached to his new set of luxury wheels.

(MODS: Please open this after the episode airs.)
    Last edited by Tomacco; 03-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Great episode! This worked extremely well both as a parody and as a solid character-driven story in itself. The specific elements from The Departed used (the soundtrack, Donny's appearance, and especially the hilarious "the rat symbolizes obviousness" line at the end) were all hilariously implemented. Great to see Bart as his bad-boy self, with some good lines from the secondary characters of Springfield Elementary (Skinner, Chalmers, Milhouse, and Nelson). The Homer subplot had a few good laughs (Homer nudging Bart, Homer and Marge's romantic drive), but had sort of that filler feeling to it. It didn't really add much, but it didn't detract at all either. Gave the rest of the family something to do. Direction and voice acting was swell as well (direction most notably in the chase scene and the montage of Bart's pranks being foiled in funny ways).

In the last few years, the Springfield Elementary episodes have time and time again proven to be the most consistently solid episodes ("President Wore Pearls", "24 Minutes", "Girls Just Wanna Have Sums"), and this one continued that tradition.

5/5
    Signature.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Some notes from the episode

Not bad couch gag, hasn't there been one similar to it before?

First act
    Wow, Lisa's voice sounded really off in the opening scene in the car
    Lisa kicking Bart in the face went on far too long
    The bit with Moleman and the aitbag was decent
    Ms. Krabappel's voice sounds a little off, it's deeper than normal
    Wiseguy's voice also sounds off
    Homer's dialogue in the car was pretty good
    Nice to see Bart back to his old bratty self
    The bit with Skinner's feet being pulled by magnets also went on too long. It wasn't very funny to begin with and having it go on several sections was overkill.
    I don't really like Donny's voice, it's a little too deep, it would be better suited for a teenager. However, Topher Grace hasn't been doing that bad of a job
    First act was pretty good, nice set up for the plot although some of the gags went on too long. Haven't been a lot of obvious Departed references yet. 3/5.

Second act
    Now we're starting to see some Departed stuff
    Lisa's voice is starting to sound more normal now
    Wiseguy's reaction to the sounds of Homer and Marge bit was the best part of the episode
    "This bag labelled crickets" - good line
    The montage set to "Shipping off to Boston" was very well done, one of the best montages in a while - "Bronson's View Blockers" was a nice addition and the direction in it was fantastic
    Wow, the second bit set to "Shipping off to Boston" was also extremely well done
    There was a character who looked similar to Lunchlady Doris, but sounded nothing like him
    I loved the line about "my best friend, my other best friend or the guy I just met", that was also one of my complaints about The Departed and it was a nice observation
    Cletus using Milhouse as a toilet... Terrible. This act had been going so well until that.
    Overall a great act with some great Departed jokes, and it was nice to hear some Dropkick Murphys in the show. 4/5.

Third act
    Lisa's voice sounds weird again.
    The thing with Terry Gross was tacked on and really not that funny
    Nelson's voice now sounds a little off too
    Kind of a weak ending, which is disappointing because the second act was done so well. The ending to the subplot was kind of weak. The final line was pretty good. I'll give the last act a 3/5

Overall, not a bad episode, better than the last few. 3.5/5
    Last edited by McClure; 03-02-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Water on that Damn Shit! Ezekiel 25:17's Avatar

5/5!!! great episode!!! possibly the best episode since "funeral for a fiend"

Pin Pal

Not bad, the music was a cool and i liked the twist at the end.

4.5/5

2.5/5 - don't know if I'll round up or down yet.

The first act was pretty terrible. It picked up the second two acts with a parody of The Departed, but the good plot was plagued by a lot of weak dialogue.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Blog Entries

A terrifically fun episode with some of the dumbest gags ever. 'Twas a great story and it was fun with Topher Grace being a great guest star, albeit with a voice a little too low for a 10yr old, but he did great nonetheless.

As for the dumb gags, the "Storm in the Car" and Homer laughing at the Sarcastic Guy almost made me change the channel. And the ending was almost perfect, but we had another "Explained!" joke.

Anyway, a 4/5.

Holy shit, that was actually a good episode. Loved all the Departed references, and Ralph's line at the end was the hardest I've laughed at anything from this show in a long time. Best of the season, no question.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Naw, THAT was the best of the season. It was fantastic! Loved it! It felt longer than it actually was, but in a good way – maybe part of that was due to that Nascar bullshit, but I dunno, the whole thing was just great to watch.

Some jokes went on too long – most didn’t and a fair amount actually did make me laugh. Great beginning. Even great ending. Laughed a little at both of those. Nelson was pretty funny too, “See-saw!” and “running away is cool!” or whatever it was he said there, something along those lines. The magnets bit did go on a little long but even that was pretty funny as well.

Loved how Bart completely missed out on Donny being a rat on the most obvious trait and then only caught it in a slightly deeper manner, with Skinner’s tongue being blue.

Also? A lot of it was fun to watch – including that magnets bit – and that recurring song gave it a perfect air. Haven’t actually seen The Departed so I don’t know if it’s from that or anything, but it worked out very nicely.

Ah… The first act did drag a little, the second really picked it back up, and the third slumped a little again, but dang. Still. Wonderful. 5/5 at this point and I doubt it’ll go down – I’m easy and Bart’s my absolute favourite, anyway. Springfield Elementary is such a fantastic place for episodes, definitely, and it was wonderful seeing Bart so well-written.

Blog Entries

I loved it! 5/5
    Great Sunday night animation entertainment,.. Thy name be SIMPSON!
    This episode was full of laughs & surprises. was better than i expected or deserved.
    4 more years! ...4 more years!

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Great, Great episode. I loved pretty much everything about it, the atmosphere, the characterization, nothing seemed too out there. The animation was superb as well, wow i really hope the rest of the season is drawn so well. Donny was a pretty good character and I like the way that we were in on it. At first is didn't like tha was he looked based on the promo but since the animation was so good i really liked him. I wonder if we will ever see him again, even just in schoolyard shots, or if the ending ment he was gone forever. I was sorta disapointed by Willie being a traiter but o well, his appearances were funny. Chalmer's "Skinner!......Skinner?!" " I'm fine sir" "O don't ever scare me like that again" was great. The Rat ending with Ralph was good too, I always thought the ending of "The Departed" was really obvious. I can't wait for "N is For Nerder".

My only two little problems were with Lunchlady Doris' voice (wtf that wasn't even an imitation of Grau) and the stupid wind and storms in the new car.

5/5, for the show's current standards

Although not the most original the idea (seeing as how it is basically the Bart version of [1F17] - Lisa's Rival), with the twist of Donnie (?) being an inside man. It turned out to be one of the better episodes this season (so far). It did feel a bit rushed, it hardly ever built up to joke or even a story point, it was just like bam here’s your joke, bam here’s your story point, which leads to the feeling like it is a very short episode. I think it is worth mentioning that the Cletus outhouse joke was just cringe worthy though, IMO for obvious reasons. I hate those gross Family Guyish jokes…. horrible. I love the fact that they used the Dropkick Murphy’s “I'm Shipping Up To Boston” I have been a fan of theirs long before the movie “The Departed.” This episode gets a star just for that in my book. The final Ralph line was the perfect toper for one of the better episodes this season. I think it deserves a 4.5 ( I don’t really have that option) but not a 5 so I guess I will have to settle (like a have choice) and give this one a 4/5

It doesn't seem like the simpsons knows how to parody movies anymore. A lot of scenes went on too long like the magnets and the parts with shipping up to boston playing. The ending was quite bad and the subplot was useless. The only part I laughed at was with ralph and the rat but people who haven't seen The Departed (great movie) may not fully understand the joke. 2.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    A terrifically fun episode with some of the dumbest gags ever.

As for the dumb gags, the "Storm in the Car" and Homer laughing at the Sarcastic Guy almost made me change the channel. And the ending was almost perfect, but we had another "Explained!" joke.
    Don't forget Cletus entering what he thought was an outhouse and thinking Milhouse is a toilet.

And is it just me, or did a lot of characters sound off this episode: Lisa, Nelson, Willie, Skinner, Wiseguy and Ms. Krabappel all sounded weird at times.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHomersClub
    It doesn't seem like the simpsons knows how to parody movies anymore. A lot of scenes went on too long like the magnets and the parts with shipping up to boston playing. The ending was quite bad and the subplot was useless. The only part I laughed at was with ralph and the rat but people who haven't seen The Departed (great movie) may not fully understand the joke. 2.5/5
    Now that is what I call hatin'! God, lets just nit-pick every little why don't we? Just so you know I am not just saying this to you NoHomersClub, this is directed a lot of people, you just happen to be the lucky candidate this time.

5/5

I liked the "I shipping out to Boston" music montage. Along with the mentos/Diet pepsi combination.
    Last edited by Gaz; 03-18-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

Very fun, good plot, good music, some really good lines... see told ya the show doesn't suck. 4/5.
    Last edited by The Law-Talkin' Guy; 03-02-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Who wrote and directed the episode? I forgot to check.

Tonite on Rock Bottom

Really good episode, it may be the best of the season. 4/5

wow, what a great episode. i've never seen the departed before, but i really enjoyed this ep. the only gag i didn't like was the storms in the car, but oh well. i think we have all learned they just don't make em perfect anymore. "don't ever scare me like that again" had me dying. and i haven't laughed that hard at Ralph in ages. even the generic b plot was great(theres something hilarious about homer and marge listening to r&b). i can't wait to rewatch this one. lets hope the next ep holds up to this one's standards.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Who wrote and directed the episode? I forgot to check.
    Joel H. Cohen; Matthew Nastuk.

What's the name of the man? Gorilla's Choice's Avatar

It was much better than I had expected. I liked it. 4/5.

I should really start puttng more effort into my reviews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHero
    Very fun, good plot, good music, some really good lines... see told ya the show doesn't suck.
    Keep reaching for that rainbow.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Keep reaching for that rainbow.
    LMAO

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

My first opinion was how great the animation was. My second was how horrible the beginning was. Lisa kicking Bart and Homer laughing both went on way too long, and the storm in the car was the most stupid and unfunny joke they have ever done. Lucky it picked up after that. Loved Donnie and the elaborate settup by Skinner and Chalmers. Makes me think of Scotchtoberfest. Glad they didn't waste too much time on the second story. Laughed like crazy at Bart's unsuccessful pranks.

The beginning was all that took it down to a 4 / 5

P.S. Didn't really get Ralph's line. Somebody explain it?

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

3/5

I feel that the episode had great potential, but nevertheless, it didn't live up to it's expectations.

Some of the gags went on for too long, such as Homer guffawing at the Sarcastic Middle-Aged Man, Lisa striking Bart with her cleats. The plot was too character-driven. Cletus' appearance at the end of the second act was unnecessary and surplus. And Donny's introduction was a bit premature. Moving on from the bashing, the fact that Milhouse stood up to Nelson was a bit peculiar, yet awesome. Nelson's role in this episode was interesting. I always like the episode's in which he's used for good.

Overall, mediocre.

Worst. Signature. Ever.

I thought it was pretty good. School-themed episodes usually tend to at least be decent and Bart episodes are more or less consistent; this was no exception. I think the plot was pretty fun, but there was some bits of weak dialougue throughout that took away from my enjoyment. But nevertheless, it was decent.

I think the first act dragged on a bit, maybe it was because of the Nascar thing; I don't know. The cleets joke went onto long and wasn't funny. I was suprised with the one-time character Donny, I liked Topher Grace's performance as him even though he sounded more like a teenager than a kid. I liked the "Krabappel= Crab Apple" joke, mainly because it's such an obvious and lame joke to make and Ms. Krabappel was totally apathetic to it. It was also refreshing to see Bart act like a bad boy without being too extreme about it. He was just having fun for once without being too malicious. The prank with Skinner was nicely-animated, even though that went on a little longer than it should've too. I noticed Skinner sounded very generic throughout the episode, but that wasn't anything new.

The montage in the 2nd act were great and well-done. Not having seen The Departed, I think I missed some of the references but it didn't bother me. I loved how they showed Bart's pranks being foiled in different ways. I was fairly suprised they had Donny as the rat because I thought they were going to go down the route where Donny wasn't the rat and someone unexpected was. The "Best friend, my other best friend, or the guy I just met" line made me laugh, though I'm guessing that was a reference to The Departed too. I was suprised to see Lunchlady Doris again; I thought they had retired her character, but apparently not. The 3rd act slowed down again, and the ending was weak. But I liked the last line by Ralph, though again, I felt I was missing the reference.

3.5 out of 5
    "Alright, alright, if it will make you happy, I'll overthrow society."

Junior Camper

that was great. loved all bart's (foiled) pranks, although the magnet thing did go on a bit too long for my taste. most of the characters were well-written and felt really "true".

the subplot was a bit pointless, but still interesting.

anyone else find it interesting they kept the brand names for mentos and diet coke instead of using slightly modified names, or even diet buzz cola? and the car was obviously a cadillac CTS :P

anywho, 4.5/5.

5/5

I sooooooo loved this episode, it shows you that when they are in the mood they can give us something really good and something i will look forward to watching once the dvd comes out (2015 or something lol).

Loved the pranks, loved the music, loved the twist in the end, loved the mentos joke and i LOVED the rat joke in the end
    "I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming."
    Homer Simpson

5/5 Best episode this season. Excellent

Thread Information