101 44.69%
  • 3/5: Narc

41 18.14%
  • 2/5: Snitch

11 4.87%
  • 1/5: Tattletale

1 0.44%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: RATE AND REVIEW: "The Debarted" (KABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

niemand wollte schlagerstars Zenmiester's Avatar

Well-executed but relies too much on Bart being one-dimensional. 4/5.

Personally I think this episode is overrated, much like 24 Minutes. It's not a horrible episode by any means, but it would have a long way to go to be considered a great episode. I'm torn between a 2/5 and 3/5, but I'll be nice and go with the latter.

i think it's a good solid episode and one of my favorites from this season. Story around Bart is funny and entertaining, but in the end not great or something special.

B

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

meh nothing with much substance. It was executed really well, with the Irish music, stylistic storyboarding and a not really distracting subplot.

I didn't like the heater vs. airconditioning joke, and then the tornado that followed.
    I didn't like Donny's character either, especially because of his deep voice.

I liked the joke: "is it because of your stupid accent?"

Very overrated. Feels just like Little Big Girl

3/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

NHC's fly on the wall treehouse of hutz I, II, & III's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode just doesn't sit well with me anymore and perhaps never really did. I think it's good for the season it came from (not saying much), but I find Bart's character as unsettling. It's not shit terrible like his moments from "Million Dollar Maybe", "How Munched", or "Love Is A Many Strangled Thing" but it still feels odd. I don't like how he's smug and acts extra cool in front of Donny. Donny is an annoying character as well. The scenes between him and Bart feel so awkward and forced. It doesn't help that Topher Grace is just reading his lines into the mic with his regular voice as if he's got a plane to catch.

The whole "prank organization" premise feels contrived and tacky. I understand the joke of it is that it's supposed to be cute that these kids are running mischief throughout the school with meetings in their treehouse but it just feels so serious as if it's an obligation to pull pranks. I like it better when it's free, occasional fun without worrying about a chess match with Skinner/Chalmers. I mean Skinner and Chalmers getting a kid to get on the "inside" of the Bart Simpson organization? It's a good idea on paper, but it doesn't feel subtle at all. I know Skinner has always served as an antagonist to Bart, but this was just creepy how secretive and successful he was almost like he has nothing else going for him. The fact that he went to all this trouble just to mess with Bart felt too cartoon cat and mouse.

I mean, I don't mind when you take a small feature from a character and build a plot to focus on that one feature, but you need to still establish that there's more to the character than that one feature. This episode acts like Bart Simpson = prankster and otherwise this would have worked, but they had to make him come off like a smug master who gets fooled, where all his other qualities are ignored for the sake of the plot. It's not believable to me that he couldn't figure out why his pranks were being foiled.

I don't mind that they were backfiring, but how the Departed parody forced him to not realize what was going on, because they were trying to work the commentary of how obvious the movie was to the audience or whatever. By doing this, it just made everything come off as unlikable. It's another example of another notion of unnecessary commentary being forced into an episode. If it wasn't for them trying to write around that premise I feel like he would have made the connection easily and not mistake Milhouse for the initial rat or at least they could set it up where even we wouldn't know what was going on. He may not exactly be book smart, but he was always known as a very quick kid when it came to mysteries or "on the spot" situations.

As for the subplot, it's alright, but I could do without those lame jokes like the mini-tornado "father/son" moment, or Lisa kicking Bart for like a full minute being the thing that causes the car to crash. The music also bugged me too. "Shipping Up To Boston" again makes the Bart plot seem cooler than it really is. The music when Homer and Marge are sharing a romantic moment feels out of place as well. They should have just used a stock score. Now I'm just getting nitpicky but it's little things like this that inevitably takes a toll too. I can enjoy this episode for what it is somewhat, but honestly it's been bugging me for a while that for some reason I don't care for it and I needed to analyze it in order to discover WHY. Other than that, it has it's moments. It's not terrible, but is definitely more flawed than people care to realize IMO.
    Last edited by treehouse of hutz I, II, & III; 07-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that this is a very strong episode in most parts. Donny is a unique character, and the main plot is nice with a great twist at the end. The thing that I don't like much is the subplot, particularly the end. Homer gets really annoying when calling the salesman an idiot and all that, but what really bothers me is the end when he sees his car being put up for sale for $99, and he immediately buys it back. Think about that. He's been ranting and raving about how great this new car is, and wants to keep it so badly. So when he sees his old car is for sale, he should be happy, right? After all, this means he gets to keep the new car. But no, he stupidly buys his old car back, even though he has a much better one. The Canine Mutiny did something similar to this, but a dog and a car are quite different.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Blog Entries

For someone who's ONLY interest is the simpsons, you barely have any grasp on what this show's themes or messages are. Just like "Seperate Vocations", you fail to understand or detect the deeper message that underlies within the plot. Who cares about the luxury of the new car? NOSTALGIA and the fact that the pink sedan is basically an ICONIC CHARACTER to the entire series itself is what appeals to Homer. The sight of seeing all of what that's worth, simply being sold for $99 so that some hillbillies can perform perverted actions towards it, is what appeals to him to regain interest in it. It's really not that hard to figure out especially when dissecting a season 19 episode is like popping a balloon.
    Last edited by treehouse of hutz I, II, & III; 07-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    For someone who's ONLY interest is the simpsons, you barely have any grasp on what this show's themes or messages are. Just like "Seperate Vocations", you fail to understand or detect the deeper message that underlies within the plot. Who cares about the luxury of the new car? NOSTALGIA and the fact that the pink sedan is basically an ICONIC CHARACTER to the entire series itself is what appeals to Homer. The sight of seeing all of what that's worth, simply being sold for $99 so that some hillbillies can perform perverted actions towards it, is what appeals to him to regain interest in it.
    First of all, he never said his ONLY interest is The Simpsons, just that he doesn't like other people being in control of his opinions. Second of all, it's not that he doesn't understand the deeper meanings, he just looks at them from a different point of view. I agree with both you and FP on this issue. Nostalgia is a powerful force, and it can cause people to do unpredictable things, but it was pretty sudden how Homer's mindset completely changed just as the sight of his old car.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Blog Entries

It's pretty hard for a person with Asperger's to understand the deeper meanings of things. However, I did understand the deeper meaning of this one; it just felt like he suddenly abandoned the car he so loves for his older one. You'd think that it would be at least a slight struggle for Homer to give up the car.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

S19 has no 'deeper' meaning, so what is the problem?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    It's pretty hard for a person with Asperger's to understand the deeper meanings of things.
    No it isn't. Not automatically.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    First of all, he never said his ONLY interest is The Simpsons, just that he doesn't like other people being in control of his opinions. Second of all, it's not that he doesn't understand the deeper meanings, he just looks at them from a different point of view. I agree with both you and FP on this issue. Nostalgia is a powerful force, and it can cause people to do unpredictable things, but it was pretty sudden how Homer's mindset completely changed just as the sight of his old car.
    His post in regards to liking anything else besides the simpsons: "I don't need any other interests. I'm happy just the way I am!"

And I don't mean "ONLY" literally^, but the point still stands.

I agree about how abrupt Homer changes his mind, but Financial Panther doesn't seem to even try to understand anything past what appears on the surface. If he had any perspective he would know that there is more than what meets the eye.

EDIT: Oh, aspergers.

Blog Entries

There's a reasonable likelihood I've read parts of that book before, although you should be aware that there's as much bullshit out there (from such literature) as there is actual legitimate information.

I mean, of course there's going to be varying levels of severity and symptoms and whatnot, which is partially what I'm getting at. The ability to understand specific things - metaphor, sarcasm, etc - can often be impaired, to varying degrees. But it doesn't literally mean that a person with Asperger's can't understand such things or make an effort to, and it certainly doesn't mean that we can't understand character motivations and themes in a cartoon that is specifically designed to make those things clear to the audience.

All I ask is that you don't stereotype yourself or us. We're stereotyped badly enough by news broadcasts and Boston Legal and Law and Order and fucking Grey's Anatomy. We don't need to make it worse by stereotyping ourselves, too.

Blog Entries

- Jerkass Bart
    - Absolutely stupid B-plot
    - Awful Departed parody

Overall: Second worst episode ever.
    F and I very kind.
    That deserve Z-...

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^ You're kidding?

Out of all the terrible episodes, this one is the second worst? Not that it's my business but yeah, second worst? Really?
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Blog Entries

Toby Hunter, Minneapolis Star. No really, is this a joke?
    No, Toby, and no more questions about whether this is a joke.

From Deep Space Homer

Great episode. Haven't seen it in a while. 4/5

Blog Entries

It wasn't good, it wasn't terrible. Topher Grace sounded way too old for his age and the snitch thing seemed really underdeveloped. 3/5 (C+)
    Last edited by Scarevine; 05-15-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great episode, did not quite get why they added the ending with Ralph. 5/5

A lot of the moments in this episode are the typical modern, reality-bending moments that leave me wondering what the hell that was (for example, the tornado in the car, the candles and champagne in the car, donating directly to NPR from the car, the diet coke and mentos reaction in the cup, Homer talking about when he and Bart first met, etc.). The number of such occurrences in this episode really cheapens it. And I don't usually notice the quality of the voice acting, but Topher Grace's performance was lacking something (I'm not sure what it was, though; maybe it just wasn't very good). On the other hand, I like the premise and, aside from what I mentioned, it wasn't done that badly. The subplot would have been much better if the car was actually something that existed. 4/10

Young Master Doflamingo The Heavenly Demon's Avatar

Fun and enjoyable through. 3.5/5
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Blog Entries

This is one of the best uses of a one-timer I've seen on this show. Donnie was a very interesting character with a back story that justifies his actions in the episode. The plot was deeper and darker than I would have expected, Bart was totally in character showing both his prankster side and his soft side. Of course, there were also many funny moments, like the montage of Bart's pranks failing, the storm in the car, and the sex noises. I originally voted 4/5 when this episode aired, but now I think it deserves a 5/5.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ofhf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    the sex noises.

Anyway, I agree. Great episode with a really cool plot. 5/5

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ofhf View Post

Anyway, I agree. Great episode with a really cool plot. 5/5
    Homer calls the car place and says to the guy on the phone that he'll have to listen to him and Marge making love. Then we hear a bunch of screeching noises over the phone and Homer says something like "that wasn't us that was the transmission".

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ofhf

Thread Information