101 45.29%
  • 3/5: Narc

40 17.94%
  • 2/5: Snitch

11 4.93%
  • 1/5: Tattletale

1 0.45%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RATE AND REVIEW: "The Debarted" (KABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

"Running away ruuuules!"

"It was a rat within a rat, just like Willie's dinner!"

"Too Siamese. Too Siamese."

"SKINNER! SKINNER!? Don't scare me like that!"

"Kick mediocre study habits"

This episode had some of the funniest moments of the season, and the gags coupled with a focused and well-paced story made for a solid episode. I've never seen The Departed, so a few of my complaints about the show may be premature (the predictable nature of Donny saving the day, Ralph's final line, which everyone who's seen the movie seems to love), but there were some gags that fell rather flat either way. Specifically, Lisa kicking Bart in the face with cleats was odd, and some of the car lot scenes dragged. One gag in particular strikes me as particularly gross--were the hillbillies who planned to buy Homer's car really going to do what I think they were?

On the plus side, good one-time character, good story, good gags. The breach of trust reminded me of Three Men and a Comic Book, and we even got a nice screw-the-audience joke as well ("Donny...grab Milhouse's legs"). All in all, very well done down-to-earth episode, with good music and art direction to boot.

Nice to see a good showing that doesn't bend the rules of The Simpsons. 4/5 B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

At the end of the departed they showed a rat in an apartment to symbolize the rat or "rats" in the movie. I guess the joke was that they were just explaining how obvious the reference was.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A few comments.

One of the best things this episode did was execute a parody within the context of the series. The premise of the episode was related to "The Departed" obviously, but they found a way to do it without messing up the characters too badly. This kind of storyline feels organic, with all the characters acting like they normally do. This is in stark contrast with the other recent parody, "24 Minutes," which suffered from an extremely forced Bart characterization. This one struck a great balance between the series' hallmarks and the parody. It didn't hit you over the head with it. Someone who hadn't seen "The Departed" would still get the story... They wouldn't feel like they were missing something. That's what a good parody does. This one did it well.

The main plot was constructed pretty well. The callback to the Blue Vines worked pretty well. In addition, all of the pranks of Skinner (and their failures) were realistic and amusing. The magnets one was particularly inspired.

The B-plot wasn't too bad... It reminded me of the Swear Jar one or the Sugar B-plots from classic seasons. You know, it was just kind of there. It wasn't really related to the main plot, but it was a nice little story. I really enjoyed the scene in the car with Homer and Marge in particular.

Jokes-wise, it was all right. A couple cringeworthy moments (Homer laughing, in-car tornado), but nothing really terrible. The Willie diary-tattoo joke almost got really awkward, but they cut away from the scene just in time. I could definitely see that scene taking a bit longer. There were a couple gems in there too, the relish joke in particular. It's nothing special, considering it's a pun. But it was done so subtly... It just kinda passed by, like it wasn't a joke. Marge didn't place some hokey emphasis on the word and they didn't pause two second for laughter. They just made the joke and moved along. Nicely done.

It was kinda nice to see them nab a guest star that isn't a major celebrity. Topher Grace isn't a nobody, but he's not exactly Matt Damon or somebody. It wasn't a "Look, it's the Britney Spears!" episode. He just did a good job on the voice, just like one of the regulars on the show.

4.5/5. Some joke problems, but carried by a remarkably strong plot and parody. Best of the season so far.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by son of a wiggum
    P.S. Didn't really get Ralph's line. Somebody explain it?
    In the movie The Departed, there is a rat in the movie, just like the episode. After everyone kills each other at the end, I think it's Mark Walburg's character that is seen by a window, and a rat passes by the window. It is so damn obvious, it's stupid. When I saw The Departed, I thought it was an okay movie, but the ending was terrible, and the rat was the clincher. It was so obvious and corny. And the film won an Academy Award for Best Picture. And all the while I've been saying how dumb that rat was at the end of the film.

That being said, that one line "The rat symbolizes obviousness!" made me laugh the hardest I have in the past few seasons.

The episode itself was great, the characterizations of Bart and especially Skinner were spot on. Homer's subplot was pretty good too, and it ended well with those hicks trying to buy his car for $99. The episode jumped right into the plot, which was excellent, and everything flowed well from one event to the next, and the entire episode had a outright confidence in it that reminded me of 24 Minutes.

There were some things I didn't like, mostly in the first act, as some people already mentioned. But even the first act I still liked, and it only got better.

What the hey, I'll give it a 5/5 and an A.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHomersClub
    I guess the joke was that they were just explaining how obvious the reference was.
    Like they always do.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this episode. Very well-written stories that led to a terrific climax.

4.0/5

Get eurass back to Eurasia

i liked it when hank was tricked into buying it at sticker price

oh wait

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Like they always do.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this episode. Very well-written stories that led to a terrific climax.

4.0/5
    The ending would've been better if the writers didn't bring out Captain Autism to point out the theme of the episode. It made me sad.

The rat just running Al Jean's name in the credits would've been subtle and a nice "nod" to the Departed, but alas we had another pop-culture ref beat over our heads.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    The ending would've been better if the writers didn't bring out Captain Autism to point out the theme of the episode. It made me sad.

The rat just running Al Jean's name in the credits would've been subtle and a nice "nod" to the Departed, but alas we had another pop-culture ref beat over our heads.
    I disagree, I saw it as a shot at how the rat at the end of The Departed is so incredibly obvious that even Ralph could figure it out.
    Signature.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I have been waiting for someone to point out the obviousness of that though.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

Excellent episode, easily my favorite of the season so far. Everything worked for the most part...good characterizations (it's good to see Bart back to normal), good gags, a solid story that moved along at a natural pace, a b-story that was actually funny, and some good pop-culture stuff that didn't feel forced or over done. 4.5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I disagree, I saw it as a shot at how the rat at the end of The Departed is so incredibly obvious that even Ralph could figure it out.
    Bingo. So so good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I doubt the rat at the end of the Departed was SUPPOSED to be serious. IMO, it was more of a tounge'n cheek allusion. The only way Ralph's line would've been funny is if it was an original joke within the Simpsons episode, not a Volume 11, reimagined joke making fun of a subtle joke.

I doubt the rat at the end of the Departed was SUPPOSED to be serious. IMO, it was more of a tounge'n cheek allusion.
    If by tongue-in-cheek, you mean stupid, then yes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    If by tongue-in-cheek, you mean stupid, then yes.
    Well, then "Debarted" is no better. The joke screamed of: "Look! They're being SOOOO obvious, and if we point it out, that makes us CLEVER!".

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, then "Debarted" is no better. The joke screamed of: "Look! They're being SOOOO obvious, and if we point it out, that makes us CLEVER!".
    calm down, I doubt the writers thought they were hot-shots for pointing out the obviousness of the end of the departed, you are looking too much into it for it was just a simple line. The episode was very well done as a whole and that is satisfying enough for me.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I really liked the bit where Bart wondered if the rat was "my best friend, my other best friend or the guy I just met." One of the parts of the Departed that really bugged me was that these hardened criminals never seemed the suspect that the new guy that they knew was a former cop was the rat.

I agree that the line at the end seemed somewhat tacked on and unnecessary but on the whole I thought the parody was done pretty well.

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

best new episode in a long time! i generally don't care for direct parody episodes of movies but this was the best since the Haw Hawked Couple! great wiggum lines all around. 5/5

This was a great episode. Bart on a mission to pull pranks every day was definitely the Bart from the early seasons. Everything in the episode just seemed sharp, no dull moments at all. Even the subplot with Homer and the rent-a-car was a-okay! It wasn't overdone, and the majority of the episode focused on Bart. I don't get why Marge would be driving Homer's car at the start of the episode, but I guess we needed to get the story going.

Also, I know people hate musical montages, but the one in this episode was just fantastic! I'm from Boston myself, and obviously love the song that was used ("I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys - the official band of the Boston Red Sox). The only regret was that it was used three times. I guess Al Jean is officially back running the show.

5/5 is what I voted, though it's more like a 4.5/5 since the Homer subplot was a bit stupid, although we needed to have Homer in the episode. And what's with Lunchlady Doris speaking again? Still, this is the 2nd best episode of the season behind Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123
    calm down, I doubt the writers thought they were hot-shots for pointing out the obviousness of the end of the departed, you are looking too much into it for it was just a simple line. The episode was very well done as a whole and that is satisfying enough for me.
    Well, they've been doing this so frequently for some time that it seems like they're sticking it to those who already know better.

Best episode of the season. Bart was in character and rocked. Skinner was in character too and was funny. I loved that "Skinner!!!" Than he gets all scared and says "Don't ever do that to me agian!" LOL. All of Barts pranks were genius this episode and he had a reason for doing them. I liked the new guy, first I didn't but than he grew on me at the end. The animation was great. I loved the Homer/Marge semi romance moment. The subplot was not needed, it was funny at times though. Ralphs line at the end meh it really wasn't needed either but I gave a laugh. Over all I give it a 5/5
    Hopefully now Bart will be in character. He's been pretty much in character ever since the movie kind of.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

I'll be honest; it wasn't that great.

OK, it was cleanly-plotted and had a logical beginning and end. Have a cookie. But what about humor? Quality animation? Voice acting? All of it seemed off to me tonight.

1. "These movements are involuntary" was one of the most blandly delivered lines I've ever heard on this show. He didn't even sound like he cared that he was being dragged around involuntarily. Epic fail.

2. The Catholic rulebook joke was OK. But why in the hell do you have to set the book there for an hour so everyone has a chance to read it (or, rather, stare at it)? The timing was atrocious.

3. WTF was that subplot for? It was completely unnecessary and only moderately funny. Homer calling Lisa Maggie? Sheer brilliance. ;-/

4. Cletus' outhouse joke was an embarrassment.

Beyond that, however, I really enjoyed watching the kids just be kids. It was really fun, and the pranks were inspired. Also, like I said before, the plotting was very good, and I thought Donnie was a good character, especially due to his childlike humanity. He was a character, a personality, rather than a caricature of something else.

A mess, but 6/10 or 3/5.

Oh by the way, although I've never seen The Departed, the Dropkick Murphys song (I'm Shipping Up to Boston) is heard in the movie. No wonder it was used in the episode.

LOL I forgot he called Lisa..Maggie, he hasn't done that since the classic area episodes.

Solid episode. In spite of being parody-based, it seemed at times that this episode was going back to basics with the school and the kids being the focus of the story. Now, I have not actually seen "The Departed" in spite of all the raving it gets, but it was pretty obvious which scenes were inspired by it, mainly the montages (which, since inspired by the movie, I'm actually not going to complain about like I usually do). Bart was the mischief-maker we fell in love with him as, with some entertaining pranks.

The sub-plot was pretty dry, so I'm glad they spent minimal time on it. I didn't laugh at too many of the gags, but the only ones that really made me wince were Homer laughing at Wiseguy forever and Cletus using Milhouse as a toilet. Best jokes of the episode were Willie's lines, the Catholic rulebook, and the end bit with Chalmers and Skinner. One thing I've noticed in the post-classic years is that Nelson of all characters seems to be handled much better than a lot of other characters.

Certainly superior to the previous episode, but then again, so is feces on a stick. Still not perfect, but it's possibly my favorite Joel H. Cohen episode so far, whose episodes I'm generally not too fond of. B
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    There was a character who looked similar to Lunchlady Doris, but sounded nothing like him
    That's "Nurse Doris", which is Lunch Lady Doris's second job. I have heard Tress MacNeille do a pretty good Doris in the past, so I am surprised she sounds completely different now.

(Him?)

-- Don

i liked being beaten over the head XD lets not forget its a cartoon ppl! the point of with is to satirize and point out life's many ironies
    i liked the episode it wasn't superb so i gave it 4 out of 5
    and he's not autistic, at worst its aspergers at best he's just weird.
    i hope n is for nerder is as good if not better i have highish hopes because it consintrates on chars we already know instead of some new guy
    -----

All right. It's nice to be able to enjoy the show again. After three duds in a row I am really happy to not only get an above average episode, but one of the best of the season. Despite being a parody of the Departed, the plot did manage to find ways to surprise me and keep me engaged, and I was constantly wanting to know what was going to happen next. Between the good characterizations, the intelligently used plot elements, and the flowing and interesting story, there was alot to be impressed with here. I do think Homer's subplot wasn't all that necessary and could have used a slower-paced conclusion (though I was afraid it would turn into a car war of some sort), but it wasn't bad either, and I got some good laughs out of Marge and Homer in the car.

The humor was really quite good here too, I was consistently entertained by all the different pranks the kids were coming up with as well as the ways they were getting foiled. I do think a few gags like Lisa kicking Bart and Homer in the dealership were a little long, but for the most part, the parody gags were great, and the friendship among the boys was very amusing. The direction had some pretty good moments also, between Bart tracking down Donnie, the dramatic cue when Skinner is about to "punish" Donnie, and the climax scene. Topher Grace fit perfectly into his character, he was unassuming down-to-Earth, just as the role required him to be. There were strong points all around here, and all in all this will be one of the highlights of the season I'm sure. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketeer
    One thing I've noticed in the post-classic years is that Nelson of all characters seems to be handled much better than a lot of other characters.

B
    i love that bart considers him his "other best friend" and more trustworthy than milhouse

Skinner was awesome in this ep. I loved this part:

Chalmers: SKINNER!...Skinner?
    Skinner: I'm alright sir.
    Chalmers. ...Don't scare me like that.

Lol. "I'm gonna be on you like a numerator on a denominator" was great, and all of his other dialogue was awesome. I like the idea of Bart and Nelson being best friends, rather than enemies. It's cute. The subplot sucked though.
    Jimbo: Hey baby, my shirt's chafing me. Mind if I take it off?

Bud Light Suck One pizzaanddibs's Avatar

I've seen the movie The Departed not my favorite not to memorable. Saw this episode not my favorite and not memorable.

What was with Lisa's voice in the car scene and why did she have cleats on I don't remember her being to athletic.

Since when do repair shops let you keep their nice car while they keep your shitty car hell I'd break my car right now if I knew I could keep a better car.

Overall didn't see what was so great about the episode only joke I really liked was the rat at the end I would have liked the whole mentos with soda thing if they would have done a few years ago when I thought it was still cool. 2/5

Thread Information