59 25.88%
  • 3/5

73 32.02%
  • 2/5

43 18.86%
  • 1/5

40 17.54%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Love, Springfieldian Style" (KABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "Love, Springfieldian Style" (KABF05)

WATCH EPISODE ONLINE

Review it here.

Personally, I don't usually like trio story episodes, but this one beat out my expectations. None of the stories were weak, they each offered a unique style and subject matter, the framing story had some good moments as well (including the annoying witch, the opening montage of love around Springfield, and more). The animation in this episode was top notch, mostly in the Lady & the Tramp story and the Sex Pistols story (the concert scenes were really well done). I thought it was a bit odd that only the second story had a title, but that's no big deal. Best segment was the 2nd one. Loved the sophisticated flees, the song, and everything involving the Moe dog and Bart and Lisa as puppies. Nice cameo by Chester J. Lampwick as a dog too. More thoughts later (once more people have seen it - it aired early on Global).

4/5

A better trilogy episode than "Revenge..", "Wettest Stories" and "Christmas Stories".
    Last edited by Tomacco; 02-17-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Signature.

Junior Camper

It'll suck. Trust me.

Junior Camper

First act finished.

What the hell was that? That sucked bad.

The setup was good imo. I didn't like the end of the first act but other wise I give it a 3.5/5
    EDIT: the ending of the first act makes more sense now, I temporarily forgot Homer was telling the story.

The animation in the second act was beautiful, puppy Bart and Lisa were adorable. All the caricatures of various townspeople were great. We also got the inevitable Disney joke.. 4.5/5

The final act was short but pretty good. I love music so I'm probably biased. Ending was meh though. 4/5

Overall, 4/5
    Last edited by dragonlink2; 02-17-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    I play music sometimes.
    you'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel

Pin Pal

The first part 3/5

The second part 3.5/5

The third part 2.5/5

overall: 3/5

Junior Camper

4/5... great episode... loved everything about it, and playing the buzzcocks in the 3rd story was awesome. The Bonnie & Clyde story felt very classic Simpsons-esque... nice job!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Opening
    Not bad beginning, the bit in the love tunnel was top notch, although I'm getting a little sick of the "Bart pulls a prank" setup of episodes. 4/5

First segment
    Marge with a southern accent... Not that great.
    It had some okay moments, like the stuff with Flanders, and the newsreel was pretty good, although I thought the narrating voice could have been better.
    The Woody Woodpecker cartoon was bad.
    Not a bad opening although the ending was terrible. It really wasn't given enough time to develop into anything good. 2.5/5

Second segment
    The bit with the Fleas was very Family Guy-esque and wasn't that funny. The dog designs were pretty good.
    This is the FOURTH episode that parodies the spaghetti eating scene and it was easily the least clever of them.
    The song was pretty bad. It kind of fell apart in the second half of the story.
    Sigh, another unsubtle knock at Disney. 2/5

Third Segment
    Interesting designs on the Sex Pistols, although Nelson with a British accent is kinda cringeworthy.
    Oh no, substituting chocolate for drugs... You've gotta be kidding me.
    I really don't like Lisa's design.
    "I wanna hear what else was Bollocks", not a bad Rich Texan line.
    CBGB standing for "Comic Book Guy's Bar" was kind of clever
    Wow, this ended terribly, they didn't even finish up the story? Easily the worst of the bunch. 1/5.

Overall nothing spectacular. It could have been better, but it could have been worse. It has some inspiring moments and the opening few minutes gave me hope, but they really don't have enough time to do these three parters and usually two of the segments end before they get to anything good. The animation was pretty good though.

2/5.

Needs more funny.

But I'll admit, the animation was an absolute pleasure to watch. Same ole same ole with the writing and jokes though.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Truly horrendous. I can't imagine a worse episode. Words...cannot...express...

This was easily the worst trilogy episode, and among the bottom ten episodes of the entire series.

I'm rating it 1/5, because there is no zero option.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

I'll go by each part.

Wraparounds- Not horrible, and better than the last 2 trilogies. I liked the Burns/Smithers scene, as well as the setup for the family being at the carnival. They didn't waste much time getting into the stories, aside from the obnoxious witch.

Part I- Pretty weak and typical of a non-THOH trilogy segment. Pretty dull and underdeveloped. The racist cartoon could have been hilarious, but it was written pretty poorly. It was a fun reference though, so it did win some points for that.

Part II- I loved it. Really unique, with fun animation, good jokes, and it actually felt fully developed. Easily my favorite trilogy segment from the Jean era.

Part III- Not great, but not horrible. The drug references with chocolate were pretty fun, and I'm glad they made reference to the actual Sid & Nancy drug use instead of just ignoring it and going in another direction. The ending, however, was really bad and completely deviated from the story.

3/5. Probably the highest rating I've given to a trilogy episode yet, mainly based on the strenght of the 2nd segment.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reviews:

"Bonnie and Clyde"
    Eh, the weakest of th three segments and the "Racist" cartoon just ran for far too long. It just seemed weak and had nothing going for it. 2/5

"Ladie and the Tramp"
    IMO, the best short and the three I liked everything except for the dumb Goofy joke.

"Sex Pistols"
    I'm not sure why the writers picked this, but it was pretty good, IMO.
    3/5

Overall, 3.5/5.

Junior Camper

Was anyone else slightly annoyed with the fact that the Tunnel of Love's river immediately turned red from the jello - including the water that was upstream from Bart?

Or was that just me?
    Last edited by Universal Polymath; 02-17-2008 at 07:07 PM.

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

Well, not much too say here... It was all a blur to me. It was so hazy and indistinct. The pacing was just too quick. It was all so peculiar. I was almost gonna give up on the episode and just walk away.

I'll elaborate on my thoughts after I rewatch it.

2/5

Worst. Signature. Ever.

Couch Gag: wtf? At least it was brief.

Act 1: The lead-in was really funny, but the actual Bonnie and Clyde story fell flat. Might have enjoyed it more if I had ever seen the movie. The animation was kind of choppy. 2/5

Act 2: Ugh. For the first time I almost turned The Simpsons off halfway through an episode. That was awful. The animation was better, but the story was stinky old man balls. 0/5

Act 3: Okay, I laughed at “Comic Book Guy’s Bar”. Anyway, as one of NHC’s few old-school punkers, I’d probably nit-pick at this more than most. For instance, Nancy Spungen wasn’t a good girl turned bad, she was a groupy/prostitute, and the Pistol’s final show was in San Francisco, and so on. Still, they did find creative ways to use chocolate as a drug reference. And they used a great Buzzcocks song (not that there's a bad Buzzcocks song) 3/5

Another Season 19 episode with no ending.

The mediocre last act can’t make up for the abysmal first two acts. 1.5/5 rounding down.

Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

That was, uh, bad. Really unfocused and poorly written. Only half decent segment was the last one, and even that had a shitty non-ending.

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

I'm not sure how to fairly reveiw this one, well specifically the third part, since I'm not really familiar with the behind the music if you will of the sex pistols.

I enjoyed the first two segments though

Pt 1 was set well in it's time period with good jokes (the japan ambassador, the racially offensive cartoon, and the newsreel as a whole)

Pt 2 was what i have come to expect from the simpsons whenever they parody a disney movie. They always put a somewhat dark twist to it as they did here again. I really liked seeing all the characters as animals and the twist at the end was cute.

Pt 3 was clear enough that i could understand what was going on (ie chocolate= drugs) but again i'm not too familiar with the whole sex pistols backstory so I assume some jokes were lost on me. But there were still many good visual gags and I'm always a fan of those. the ending was kind of abrupt though.

over all i'd give it a 4/5. I was a little gun shy about this one because i dont tend to like the non-halloween trilogies but i was both plesently suprised and entertained by this one.

OH BTW: Bart with non-Bart hair looks really out of place (this didnt effect the grade at all but it really struck me as "this is not right" every time I saw it)

I LOVED IT. O__O
    The first act was alright, the second act was the cutest thing ever and the third act was fun to watch considering they replaced drugs with chocolate.
    I thought this was a great episode.
    5/5

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

Meh, I didn't really like it.
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Opening
    Not bad beginning, the bit in the love tunnel was top notch, although I'm getting a little sick of the "Bart pulls a prank" setup of episodes. 4/5

First segment
    Marge with a southern accent... Not that great.
    It had some okay moments, like the stuff with Flanders, and the newsreel was pretty good, although I thought the narrating voice could have been better.
    The Woody Woodpecker cartoon was bad.
    Not a bad opening although the ending was terrible. It really wasn't given enough time to develop into anything good. 2.5/5

Second segment
    The bit with the Fleas was very Family Guy-esque and wasn't that funny. The dog designs were pretty good.
    This is the FOURTH episode that parodies the spaghetti eating scene and it was easily the least clever of them.
    The song was pretty bad. It kind of fell apart in the second half of the story.
    Sigh, another unsubtle knock at Disney. 2/5

Third Segment
    Interesting designs on the Sex Pistols, although Nelson with a British accent is kinda cringeworthy.
    Oh no, substituting chocolate for drugs... You've gotta be kidding me.
    I really don't like Lisa's design.
    "I wanna hear what else was Bollocks", not a bad Rich Texan line.
    CBGB standing for "Comic Book Guy's Bar" was kind of clever
    Wow, this ended terribly, they didn't even finish up the story? Easily the worst of the bunch. 1/5.

Overall nothing spectacular. It could have been better, but it could have been worse. It has some inspiring moments and the opening few minutes gave me hope, but they really don't have enough time to do these three parters and usually two of the segments end before they get to anything good. The animation was pretty good though.

2/5.
    I thought substituting chocalate for drugs was clever and interesting. Why would you wanna see Nelson and Lisa on drugs? I mean I understand it isnt exactly them, but their characters are playing Sid and Nancy, and that would still be weird and out of character if Lisa was on drugs. This isnt south park or family guy.

I think the animation was the best part of the episode. The colors in the first segment, beige and faded colors, really matched the old-time feel of Bonnie and Clyde. The designs of the dogs in the second looked great. Suprisingly, that was my favorite segment, it was pretty fun, despite the tired knocks at Disney and the song was cringeworthy. And that "upper-class bitch" joke was kind of funny, though of course, they had to explain the joke...*sighs*.

The concert scenes in the 3rd segment were well-animated and I loved the whole look of that "punk-era" London. The Sex Pistols' outfits were cool as well. Chocolate as a metaphor for Sid and Nancy's drug use wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And I loved Bart's cockney accent, now that was hilarious (Nelson's not so much). But the episode itself was oddly-paced and unfocused, with the first and third segments ending on abrupt notes. Plus, I didn't find too much of it funny.

2.5/5- The animation and designs were great, but meh to everything else.
    Last edited by Chou; 02-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    "Alright, alright, if it will make you happy, I'll overthrow society."

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

A disaster, just like I expected. And don't say that I would have enjoyed it if I wasn't expecting it to suck, because some new episodes occasionally suprise me. This had two things wrong from the beginning: 1. Its a season 19 Simpsons episode, and 2. Its a season 19 three part Simpsons episode.

Once again I'm reminded of why I HATE any new three part episode. Why do they even bother doing these anymore? Its obvious that there isn't enough allowed air time anymore to even allow them to fit in a complete story into one act.

That aside, it still seems as though they don't even try. ALL THREE STORIES had absolutely no point, no story structure, and just ended without resolving anything at all. And I'm not just throwing negative cliche' complaints here - think about it - all three segments were so blatantly rushed and pointless. They didn't even bother to show the family getting out of the tunnel of love - so really, what was the point of even having a setup story??

I haven't seen Bonnie and Clyde, but I doubt it would really have mattered. It was quick and rushed and ended randomly.

The Lady and the Tramp parody was perhaps the most complete story of the three, but still didn't really make much sense. Why was "Homer" delaying to give the gift to "Marge" ? If they're going to do such a close parody like this, at least get the story right, and make some sense of it. Oh, and of course there was the obligatory shot at Disney - "LOLLOLOLOLOL LETS GAS GOOFY AND THEN HAVE HIM SAY DISNEY SUX!!!! OMG, SUCH BITING SATIRE, WE ARE GENIUSES!!!" Yeah, too bad even Disney's crappy DVD sequals are now more respectable animation than your own show, writers.

They didn't even bother to tell the complete story of Sid Vicious! "Well, he is supposed to kill his girlfriend and commit suicide, (WHICH IS WHAT MAKES THE FUCKING STORY FAMOUS IN THE FIRST PLACE), buuut - we're out of time, so lets end here. Have Homer say something wacky. Yeah, thats good." I mean, I can understand not wanting to show that, especially since Nelson and Lisa were representing them, but they could have at least mentioned that that particular love story ended in complete tragedy... even if they just cut back to Bart quickly mentioning that at the end. Then, they could have at least quickly wrapped up the setup story from there, too.

And of course, aside from a few good lines and a couple of sight gags, there was the usual mess of awkward jokes that aren't even worth mentioning anymore, because they go without saying. As usual, the bad far outweighs the good.

So, I could blame it all on the shortened airtime, but I'm pretty confident the stories would still be a mess, even if they had the air time they did back in the mid '90s.

2/5
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 02-17-2008 at 06:01 PM.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Not all that terrible. Naturally each story felt rushed and underdeveloped, but it's a trilogy episode, so that's to be expected.

Intro/wraparounds weren't bad. Wiggum accidentally pulling a gun on Sarah and the witch popping in and out were pretty funny, along with Homer's favourite Christmas. So some decent bits to be found there.

Bonnie and Clyde... felt extremely hollow, though officially concluding it within the second act actually was kinda funny. The cartoon was terrible though, and stretched on far too long. I can't think of much I really liked from this one... fairly bland and just, ehh. 2/5

Shady and the Vamp (what?) was easily the best. Loved Marge and Homer's designs, the Moe dog was great, and easily the most fulfilling segment plot-wise, with an actual ending and all. Overall it was cute. And while that spaghetti segment didn't have a hope in hell as being as great as the one in Two Dozen and One Greyhounds, the suddenness of Marge getting sucked in was actually kinda funny. And the anti-Disney joke was so blatantly set up that actually made it funny. 4/5

Sex Pistols... Wow, who said Nelson with a British accident was terrible? It really was. Kind of odd that they're addicted to chocolate, and the ending... Well, I guess the whole murder thing wouldn't have pulled off so well, but, ah... Why do a story like this if you're going to cheap out on the ending? Not quite as empty as the first segment, but nowhere near as fulfilling at the second. 3/5

The animation overall was an absolute treat to watch though, and that bumps it up a fair amount for me - semi-solid 4/5, I'll have to watch it again to get a better feel for it, but not that bad overall.

I really liked this episod-E-O! It had everything I watch Tv for, plus everything I watch the Simpsons for,.. I'll watch it again & again, all 3 segments, running at the same time, on 3 different TV's! 5/5

Couch Gag: Meh, was that just like making them into like a puppet?
    Begining gag with Clancy Wiggum and Sarah was funny, the Burns and Smithers was pretty funny
    Bart with the jello in the tunnel of love was funny
    the jump out witches, zombies, ect were annoying not funny

I'm not really familiar with the story of Bonnie and Clide so yeah i'm not too excited for this part
    ok it's not very funny
    the animation when they were getting shot was weird, and I hate when there talking and getting shot

Wow the animation in this is AWESOME! I love the Disney esc style
    collar off, lol
    yey! Italian man!
    Homer eating Marge right there wasn't that funny...
    lol, upper class bitch.
    the health inspector part was funny
    Doggie sex? ewww
    that song seemed a bit out of the blue, not that funny, not that catchy either
    awww Bart and Lisa as dogs are cute :3
    The Goofy joke was unneeded and not funny, the "Goofy" that looks really barely like Goofy bugs me, his voice was bad too.

Milhouse and Lisa are together!
    Apple Juice? Is that supposed to be beer or piss?
    Lol! I like how Chocolate is drugs to them!
    I don't know if it bugs anyone else but Bart isn't really friends with Nelson and the other bullys, it seems weird that they are acting like there friends
    I like the falling rappers, the music could of been better for that part maybe an actual Sex Pistols songs

Over all the episode was ok, it got better as it went, starting with Bonnie and Clide that I didn't like, the Lady and the Trap was ok, some funny parts, but the Sex Pistols part was down right funny and great! It kinda bugs me that they never went back and resolved the stuck in the tunnel plot, but I rather the extra 30 seconds or so of Sex Pistols part instead of 30 seconds of explaining how they get out of the tunnel. Overall a 3/5

Junior Camper

What a craptastic episode. Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with Al Jean? STOP RUNNING THE SHOW DAMN IT!

1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    "Sex Pistols"
    I'm not sure why the writers picked this, but it was pretty good, IMO.
    This is purely my speculation, but the 1986 film "Sid and Nancy" was a HUGE underground hit back in the day. I could be entirely wrong, but I bet many of the current crop of writers on the show are probably the right age for that movie to have been somewhat influential on them.

It must be said, though, that Johnny Rotten considers that movie complete bollocks. That being said, Gary Oldman did a pretty great job in that movie. Still, the best Sex Pistols movie is probably "The Filth and The Fury".

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

Gah, I missed it. Aw well, doesn't sound like I missed something special. I'll watch it on FOD tomorrow, hopefully.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chou
    I think the animation was the best part of the episode. The colors in the first segment, beige and faded colors, really matched the old-time feel of Bonnie and Clyde. The designs of the dogs in the second looked great. Suprisingly, that was my favorite segment, it was pretty fun, despite the tired knocks at Disney and the song was cringeworthy. And that "upper-class bitch" joke was kind of funny, though of course, they had to explain the joke...*sighs*.

The concert scenes in the 3rd segment were well-animated and I loved the whole look of that "punk-era" London. The Sex Pistols' outfits were cool as well. Chocolate as a metaphor for Sid and Nancy's drug use wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And I loved Bart's cockney accent, now that was hilarious (Nelson's not so much). But the episode itself was oddly-paced and unfocused, with the first and third segments ending on abrupt notes. Plus, I didn't find too much of it funny.

2.5/5- The animation and designs were great, but meh to everything else.

I dont think they were thinking the audience was stupid when they explained the "upper-class bitch" joke because in "Behind The Laughter" FOX syndicated Marge's line "Bitch" to "Snitch", so I think the writers were trying to just get past the censors this time. Just like in "The Haw-Hawed Couple" when they explained that "faggot" is a bundle of sticks.

Water on that Damn Shit! Ezekiel 25:17's Avatar

omg i missed it! is there anywhere i can watch it on the internet?

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123
    I dont think they were thinking the audience was stupid when they explained the "upper-class bitch" joke because in "Behind The Laughter" FOX syndicated Marge's line "Bitch" to "Snitch", so I think the writers were trying to just get past the censors this time. Just like in "The Haw-Hawed Couple" when they explained that "faggot" is a bundle of sticks.
    This makes me think of a joke from "Arrested Development" - Which was done much, much better than the ones here. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

"Oh Buster! You're such a p***y!"

Thread Information