112 30.43%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "That 90's Show"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "That 90's Show"

Rate it here!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

1/5.

Normally, I'm fairly lenient with reviews, as I usually tend to at least find some good in episodes that even a lot of people hate. But this one was pretty bad. The self-referential "screw-continuity" jokes that the writers used to get out of that situation just weren't funny, the plot was aimless and dull, and the jokes about 90's culture were forced and predictable. The only joke in the whole episode I laughed at was Wiggum crowd surfing with his cruiser.

5/5

I really liked that. I sat back and enjoyed the episode, and it was really fun. There were a ton of jokes that hit home and it was an all-around fun story. Great ending. I'll elaborate more later.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

The only thing I laughed out loud at was the Insulin joke. I thought it was pretty good though! Very, very fun episode. Yeah, there was only one real LOL joke, but the rest of the episode kept me entertained and smiling.

Blog Entries

I tried to make a poll but I kept being returned to the main screen, so can a mod of this section please add one? :angry:

3/5. It felt pretty natural as far as flow but none of the jokes were too great.

"the 1990's? never heard of it." at least they said that.
    "and maybe I'm talking this way because I can't stop. Help me, Lisa! I have serious mental problems!"

Pin Pal

A pretty bad episode

2.5/5
    Last edited by homer2121; 01-27-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

Wow, I was fully expecting to hate this episode...and I loved it. Great jokes throughout, great Homer and Marge characterization...the ending left a little to be desired (I wish we found out what happened to the professor), but still, I give it a 5/5, and it's officially my favorite of the season so far.

I thought I was going to hate this episode. I was suprised that it didn't piss me off as much as I thought it would.

B
    8<4<7<6<5<3<14<20<15<21<16<9<13<2<22<17<19<18<10<1<12<11

5/5

you are all idoits

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Oh-- oh my god! I don’t know if I’m just overly giddy or something but I’d say that’s the best episode of the season thus far… I loved it! I came in not really expecting much but was generally delighted throughout the whole thing. I can’t recall a single point where I felt frustrated with a joke or anything – I actually laughed quite a few times, even if some of them were cheap laughs… still laughs. I mean, I’m not familiar with everything from the ‘90s so I don’t know if some stuff was horribly butchered or anything but… Yeah. I still loved it. Very solid story that worked very well, actually leaping into it right away. And I liked the designs and everything and… yeah.

Flashback episodes continue to be awesome… I absolutely adored this one. First one this season I’ve REALLY loved. I might be a little ahead of myself here so I'll see how it holds up on the rewatch buuuut... 5/5, A+. Just a wonderfully entertaining episode.

3/5

Better than the total trainwreck I thought it would be.

Made of real gorilla chest!

1/5 Worst episode ever. It was completely out of character everyone. Just awful.
    Well, if it isn't my good friend Mr. McGreg! With a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg!

I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by NoHomers.net

3/5
    Meh. The plot was pretty far-fetched, but the humor was decent. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Pin Pal

4/5
    I LOLed at the Seinfeld joke and the Insulin joke but this episode kept me thoroughly entertained.

Junior Camper

1st act was alright, 2nd one sucked, but the third act was good.

Once again, I like the episode everyone hates, and I hate the episodes everyone likes.
    5/5

3/5 funny episode best parts were Seinfeld and insulin.

Blog Entries

Ugh....I one hand it's so nice to see the characters "out of the timeline" and in a different setting, but the story itself and the painful "Glycerene" parody was about as fun as nails down a blackboard, and no, I don't mean that in a "Good Grungy 90s" way.

Grade: C- (2/5) if the poll worked. :angry:

In the hammock district

That was the worst episode i have ever seen. Nothing was in character, and they threw out 19 years worth of continuity. Total garbage. The writer should be fired, along with anyone who approved that steaming pile of corkscrew excrement.
    Your Haiku insults don't effect me

5/5 It was a really great one. I really love episodes about college, because I'm going there soon. I love the Student Union thing.
    Kelsey

[

3/5

It wasn't very gag-heavy, but I liked the pacing and characterization.

[and keeping continuity? That's unpossible]

Last edited by altoids30; 05-25-2010 at 04:54 PM.

and they threw out 19 years worth of continuity
    what?

Tonite on Rock Bottom

4/5
    It wasn't perfect but a whole lot better than I thought it would be. I love the parody of 90's music videos, Homer did. It was spot on. The Wierd Al cameo was good too. That "Closing Time" gets me every time.
    Last edited by hobbesup; 01-27-2008 at 06:21 PM.

It was Animated, and It was the Simpsons, So I liked it by default no matter what. ..I sure hope they never make an episode telling me to throw myself over a bridge, cause you never know?
    I was about to give this episode a perfect score, but seeing Homer tear a tentacle off of "Cuteypuss" makes me give it a 4/5

Associate Prof. Jerk: This isn't entertainment! ..Its Genocide!
    Homer: He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life

Loved the Back to the Future reference, but beyond that I didn't much care for it.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

1/5. Weird premise, weak jokes. Very little in this episode that the show hasn't already covered in a more effective manner. I mean, weren't the first 10 seasons a parody of the 1990s?

Barely a 3/5. 2 and and 1/2, if that was an option.
    There were some good jokes/gags/etc. . They were funny enough to not make this episode a complete disaster. A bunch of the 90's references were funny.

Writers, stop recycling old episode plots please. Stop. How Homer met Marge has already been done a couple of times. This story was horrible, as a whole. If the intent was to do a 90's episode, there would have been a lot more original ways to pull it off.

("real time" review)
    Short intro and a brief couch gag. +1

Act 1: Pretty good. This is an episode where continuity was going to be thrown out the window, so may as well sit back and enjoy it for what it is. I liked Homer burning Matt Groening’s much hated sailboat picture. Another Marge falling for someone else episode. Hopefully it won’t be an Artie Ziff retread.

Act 2: That was pretty good. Marge reading Howard Zinn was awesome (it’s a great book, BTW). Homer as Kurt was classic. The Back to the Future reference was a little out of place, but whatever. I got a few chuckles. Also, I have known too many professor douchebags, so quite enjoyed the portrayal.

Act 3: O.k., I lol’ed quite a bit this act. The "romantic" scene with the whale songs had me cracking up. Homer’s words of wisdom about Weird Al. And most of all the syringe pay-off was hilarious.

4.5/5 rounding up.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Thread Information