96 32.43%
  • I'm a gulch. (3/5)

71 23.99%
  • Funny but not "ha-ha" funny. (2/5)

54 18.24%
  • That's unpossible! (1/5)

36 12.16%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "E. Pluribus Wiggum" (KABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: "E. Pluribus Wiggum" (KABF03)

WATCH EPISODE ONLINE

In tonight's episode, Homer predictably causes a fire which burns down the fast-food area of Springfield. In order to rebuild it Mayor Quimby moves up election day to the upcoming weekend, making Springfield's mayoral election the first in the nation but the candidates in the election are not compelling. In protest, many vote for write in "Ralph Wiggum" as a joke but it turns out that he recieves the most votes because of this. What misadventure has the eccentric boy been pulled into?

Well, let's see if his first episode in ten years is worthy, or tastes like burning.

Last edited by Kiyosuki; 01-06-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Junior Camper

I forsee... A crappy episode. I'll give it an early D-, for a 2/5.

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

I'm so excited. I LOVE RALPH. Comic Book Guy deserves his own episode too, though. And what about Kang and Kodos? They've already been classified as canon after Gump Roast.
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

Canon in this series is as loose as it can get.

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

These first three replies are relevant

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

Can someone tell me what the Chalkboard gag was?

Worst. Signature. Ever.

IMO, they wasted a shitload of time in the first two acts. They're just now getting to Ralph's plot.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty funny! That Ralph ad at the end was fantastic!

B+ (4/5)

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

4/5 Funny episode

Intro: I HATE extended couch jokes. It was a neat idea, but ultimately a waste of time in what the creators refer to as episodes with shortened running time. -1
    Act 1: Felt rushed. I laughed at the dancing mail room guy. The rest was kind of ‘eh.
    Act 2: Still kind of ‘eh. I don’t think the Simpsons ever really addresses political issues very well, which is odd since I tend to agree with their more liberal stance. Though I don’t often like South Park’s message, they’re better in that arena. Simpsons is better with social issues. I did laughed at the Fred Thompson joke.
    Act 3: Good Ralph bits, but ultimately unsatisfying. Ended a little flat. I liked that Helen Lovejoy is a member of the sinister Republican Council. +1
    2/5

Aside: “In the Name of the King” and “Meet the Spartans” look like utter shite. Also, why are they calling it the “The Sarah Conner Chronicals” if all the commercials feature John Conner.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Horrible, HORRIBLE pacing, but pretty damn funny.

7/10

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

Great great great. They called it down the middle politically, which was great. LOVE the Republican and Democratic committees (Limbaugh, Burns, Fat Tony, Ms. Lovejoy and Dracula for the Republicans and a bunch of freaks for the Dems... glad I'm a Libertarian).

The Bill / Hillary stuff was great. Slamming the Patriot Act was amazing...

Bart: "I think that the Patriot Act killed the Constitution to preserve our liberties."

I give it 5/5 for great gags, a timely premise and awesome jokes.

I predict that some others will give it bad reviews, because some of you can't be pleased no matter what, you know who you are... ha.

I dig the wig!

Junior Camper

I actually thought that was really funny, much funnier than a lot of the more recent stuff. The only thing I noticed is that they seem to have finally acknowledged that they can't really pull a plot together anymore (notice that recently?,) and just opted for 22 minutes of jokes, but I'm not really complaining. It definitely entertained. 3.5/5 => 4/5

Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed the couch gag. Would be nicer if they had jumped to it to shorten the credits and make the episode longer, but meh.

Really funny. Good episode, sans the incomplete ending.

4/5

3/5 - Decent but not that great

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Who was that blond haired Democrat supposed to be a parody of?

Is anyone else getting sick of the "Homer does something stupid, so that sets up something ridiculous" setup. Can't they be more creative than that?

The episode had a terrible, terrible ending. They were building to something good and then just wasted it with a stupid advertisement. The Clinton appearances were okay, but a lot of the references to politicians were pretty bad.

2/5. Nice build up, terrible execution.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

The first act felt really... underdeveloped? Rushed? And did I misread or were those Jerkass Homer cigars? Cute. But... yeah... first act was kinda not that great.

It picked up from there though. The satire wasn't half-bad, I guess. And I liked Chief Wiggum nominating himself so enthusiastically - that was probably the funniest moment.

Ralph had quite a bit of cute bits and was used in a decent enough manner, but uh... there was hardly any of him and at times he seemed to be too smart and immediately reflect back to normal Ralph. It was kinda... odd.

I'm really not sure right now. It was okay and kinda funny, but... nothing all that great? B- -ish maybe?

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Good episode. Liked the Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich and Hillary jokes. An all-out entertaining episode. I didn't change the channel once in disgust.

5/5.

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Who was that blond haired Democrat supposed to be a parody of?
    Arianna Huffington, I think. Kind of odd, since since she isn't really a democrat. She was a hardcore republican. After W. Bush's presidency, she switched to being an independent who mostly supports democrats.

BTW, to get one of the jokes it helps to know that Ariana's ex-husband was a right wing republican who slept around with a lot of men.

I can already tell this is going to be a pretty mixed poll.

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

Well, being in my youth, I couldn't understand the political jokes. Seeing as this was a Ralph episode, and his humor is simple, I thought I could understand it. But I'm still confused on how the Springfield Fast Food area being destroyed caused the election to be early. Also, Ralph didn't come until the very end, and seeing as the advertisements kept saying that the episode would have Ralph running for president, they spoiled the ending. FOX SPOILED THE ENDING OF AN EPISODE OF THEIR OWN SHOW! What the heck? There were some REALLY good gags once Ralph came onto the scene, but other than that, this episode SUCKED. "The only boom booms will be in our pants." line was funny, but I don't like how it suggests that Ralph isn't toilet trained. He's not THAT stupid. I also found it funny how Ralph almost understands what a president does. Suggesting that Ralph may have intelligence is always funny. I give this episode a 0/5. The scenes featuring Ralph get a 5/5, but there were so few of them that the entire episode gets 0/5. This has been my insane rant. :angry:

4/5 A very good Episode The 1st act wasn't that good Except for the mailroom guy.The 2nd and 3rd act were much better I loved all the political stuff.The Republican Party Headquarters was funny as always but it was funny to see the Democrat Party Headquaters for once. Everything with Bill Clinton was great. I didn't care too much for the pacing and the end felt a little open ended-But other than that Good episode.

Vote Ralph 08

Junior Camper

Funny, funny stuff here. Off the wall and irreverent. A nice, fresh take on politics. Not too stuffy, not too serious with fair ribbing's on both sides of the isle. 5/5. Vote Ralph!

Junior Camper

I figured this episode would get some mixed reviews. The jokes, though hard to understand, were awesome. You kind of have to deconstruct this episode bit by bit. How it relates to what America is going through right now. I thought it was brilliantly written. The past few episodes of this show just keep amazing me. Though, I will agree that the first act was somewhat pointless. There could've been a better way to set up the whole "Primaries in Springfield."

5/5

I thought it was interesting that this episode was relevant to something going on RIGHT NOW (rather than 6 months ago) for once.

Tonite on Rock Bottom

5/5 (First 5/5, i gave in a long time) Unlike most episodes this season, this was the most simpson-y. Best of Season 19 so far. Jokes were flying out of this episode so fast, I probably have to watch it because of all the laughing I did the first. I love how this episode never took a side, it picked on both. I hate when a show comes out and tells their poltical views. I am a republican and I love they both mad fun of Repubs and Dems. Great Episode, even though Jon Stewart cameo was wasted.

thats was utter crap maybe if it was a hour it would have made any f'in sense

Average episode. Nothing out of the ordinary. But I did find the scene with Clinton speaking to Hilary and her reminding him of the incident that occured a bit humorous. I actually chuckled when the large log was brought to The Simpson door and gently tapped against it. And I love the fact that there was a callback made to "I Love Lisa", when Lisa mentions that Ralph and her were previously dating. There was a couple of other gags and bits I found humorous but I can't recall them at the moment.

On the other hand, the pacing was horrible. We didn't hear from Ralph until the third act, and most of the first act was Homer wasting his time performing ignorant antics. It didn't really address politics too well. It felt rushed and it was poorly executed. And the bit with the senior citizens from New Hampshire took up too much time and it got dull in a hurry. It's scenes like these that go on for so long that drive me so close to just turning off the TV.

Overall, Typical Season 19 episode, fairly decent, 3/5.
    Last edited by Simpsons_Fanboy; 01-06-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Junior Camper

I liked lowered expectations, than mediocre episodes like the one in question can seem pretty good. 3/5
    Season 19 Grades
    He loves to fly and he d'ohs-D, The Homer of Seville C+, Midnight Towboy B IDWKWTCBSB+

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 4/5.

Excellent episode, and for us Canadians that don't really follow American politics, it still made sense and had a lot of laughs. Might even explain a few things about your country. . . but that's another story. . .

The couch gag was slow to get going, but once they got to the stealing of the couch, it picked up, and ended on a very funny note -- they had Ned Flanders cut up and lying on the ground.

The first act was pretty good too -- with Homer going on his fast food binge, and then taking advantage of the waste receptical to eventually blow up the fast food district. Irony was cool too -- how it was Homer who stood up for the fast food district, seeing as he was the one who destroyed it. The crying Mayor Hamburger was very funny too.

Second and Third Acts were great and had a lot of well written jokes. I liked the way Dan Rather was used in this episode, he actually had some nice bits. Jon Stewart wasn't used enough, more as a cameo -- and I think they missed out on this one, because Jon Stewart is so very funny.

Some of my favorite bits:

The portrayal of the Democratic and Republican Parties -- Dem as gay and fringe wierdos, Rep as evil and corrupt. Though in a previous episode, didn't they have Count Chocula on the Rep party instead of Count Dracula?

Ralph for President -- The whole series of events, from when Chief Wiggum describes the parties, and asks Ralph to choose, to the television ad at the end were really funny. Ralph even showed some intelligence, in his descriptions of why he'd make a good president to Lisa.

Moe and the Politicians -- Loved the way Moe was milking the politicians and reporters in his bar.

Bill Clinton -- The use of Bill Clinton's portrayal was classically funny. "How many more signs do I have to put up? . . . "25? What'd I ever do to you to deserve this? . . . You'll never let that go will you?"

I think this was a great episode, with lots of laughs and wit.
    OfficerWriter

Thread Information