View Poll Results: No matter what, its not the Italian Bob.

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

66 26.94%
  • 4/5

95 38.78%
  • 3/5

49 20.00%
  • 2/5

25 10.20%
  • I'll take marriage to Lillith over this episode

10 4.08%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "Funeral for a Fiend" (KABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I have a major gripe about the episode's plot: why did Bob apparently stage this entire, elaborate scheme when he could've easily killed OFF in the restaurant (via the TNT) and bypass the trial/fake-death risky business entirely?
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Banned

While I wouldn't say this is the best episode of Season 19 so far, I'd say it is definitely on par with I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. In some ways however, this episode is miles better than all it's predecessors.

It just had this...style, and and overall feeling that's been missing since Season 16. The animation is slightly different from every Season 19 episode preceding it, and it looks very good. It's an animation style I haven't seen on The Simpsons for a while, and I was pleasantly surprised with it.

Kelsey Grammar was excellent, as usual. I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with his voice-acting at all in this episode. David Hyde Pearce was also very great, but he could've had just a slightly bigger speaking part, and I felt his character wasn't used to the fullest of it's potential in this episode.

While it was not a bad episode at all, some parts were a little disjointed, and I frankly expected a little more from the first episode of Season 19's true production. If I had to choose between Season 17's 'The Italian Bob' and this, I'd probably go with The Italian Bob, as it was generally more exciting, funny, and had a much thicker plot.

8.5/10.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    I have a major gripe about the episode's plot: why did Bob apparently stage this entire, elaborate scheme when he could've easily killed OFF in the restaurant (via the TNT) and bypass the trial/fake-death risky business entirely?
    Thats like asking why doesn't he just drive by and shoot them, or stab them in their sleep. It has to be a cartoony villian plot.

One joke I seriously hated was at the beginning where Moe was unable to get any movies at a store, so he decides to sneak peeks off cars' DVD players.

As soon as he said this, I knew they were going to follow this up with an unfunny add-on. They need to cut this crap out! It's not funny, and all it does is waste valuable screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    Because if he's "dead", he'd never have to worry about being locked up again. (Though Springfield's Finest probably wouldn't bother to look very hard... ) Thats all that makes sense anyway. It's just supposed to be a grand cartoony over the top evil plot.

Wow, this is sad. You guys really are brainwashed. I don't know why my curiosity compels me to check the polls every week, but oh well.

If you thought this episode was worthy of a decent score, well, I don't know what it is that you liked about The Simpsons in the first place.

I guess I must be the Frank Grimes of NoHomers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Wow, this is sad. You guys really are brainwashed. I don't know why my curiosity compels me to check the polls every week, but oh well.

If you thought this episode was worthy of a decent score, well, I don't know what it is that you liked about The Simpsons in the first place.

I guess I must be the Frank Grimes of NoHomers.
    I don't think its 5 or 4 material but I don't think its "brainwashed" exactly to say it wasn't a bad episode. It was well structured.

Flandersman you're more than entitled to hate the episode, and even argue about it, but try to lay off the pointless insult flame-bait please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut
    Abstaining from going off-model in EVERY frame is a terrible rule to go by in animation. Didn't know it was an ideology held by the staff of the show.
    I definitely have to back this up too. Its not as talked about as the stuff in writing but another really big but quiet gripe I've had is that I think a lot of the character of this show got a bit flat appearance wise just because it seems like the models are stuck to too much. Like every shot of the character has to be absolutely perfect and completely on model. The problem with that though is that if you stick too close to the model of a character then they end up looking a lot less well, animated. It ends up looking very staticky. There have even been a number of moments I can think of as well where it looks like they're drawing so closely to the model sheet that there's been trouble having a character simply turn around without it looking awkward.

Its simple squash and stretch basics, if something isn't stretched a little or made to move in a more fluid fashion its just not as much fun to look at. And you miss out on some great things like characters being shown in a crazier or more unusual perspective shot. I noticed this episode used perspective a lot more than recent episodes have.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 11-29-2007 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    I don't think its 5 or 4 material but I don't think its "brainwashed" exactly to say it wasn't a bad episode. It was well structured.

Flandersman you're more than entitled to hate the episode, and even argue about it, but try to lay off the pointless insult flame-bait please.
    Hmm... yeah, I suppose you're right. My bad.

Knivey Spooney

can someone get a picture of bobs mum

Knivey Spooney

finally saw it liked homer in the restraunt should of had a bit of action at the end

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

It was decent. Direction was fantastic, Cecil was brought back completely in form with hilarious results (loved his last line), the Bob/Lisa interaction was great, and Kent mentioning Jesus as a remembered criminal made me laugh. Really, plenty of gags and one-liners felt more akin to the olden days.

Unfortunately, the mystery element at the end was embarrassingly lame and tacked on; it felt like a fanfic writer trying to imitate Black Widower. Most of the clues were so obscure (Bob's dad being a doctor, an actual medical doctor, which wasn't even clarified) that you never get the sense that you could have solved it on your own. Or maybe it was an intentionally contrived sendup of past mystery episodes. Either way, it sucked.

3.5/5

Junior Camper

good funny episode, and the character acting was great... the ending was too quick and kinda disappointing, but I thought it was overall pretty damn good... keep it up Simpsons writers!

this episode is awesome!
    I love it

Unfortunately this was pretty terrible. Bob episodes need to stop, since apparently they have no idea how to write those anymore either. 2/5

Stonecutter

I thought this was the best episode of the Season. A 10th Bob killing appearance was always going to be a little tedious, but I thought they pulled this one off. The humour was mostly good, and I agree about Homer being in particularly good form. But I do agree they played it a bit safe and wasn't the most memorable episode. However a current Jean episode, with a good yet simple plot, good characterizations and slightly above average jokes is never a bad thing. A very solid B+. (4/5)

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with jammy, 2 would be too harsh, 3 would be too high, since he went high, I'll go low.

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    One joke I seriously hated was at the beginning where Moe was unable to get any movies at a store, so he decides to sneak peeks off cars' DVD players.
    I could have sworn I've seen a joke similar to this one before in another episode with Springfielders looking into the Hibberts' car and watching something on their TV.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    I could have sworn I've seen a joke similar to this one before in another episode with Springfielders looking into the Hibberts' car and watching something on their TV.
    Yeah, I think it's Lenny and Carl trying to get Hibbert to change it to sports while his kids are watching a movie. I have no idea why, but I thought of "Moe Baby Blues", though it's more than likely not right.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I'm pretty sure it is Moe Baby Blues, actually - there's so much traffic from Springfield trying to get the hell away from the smelly flower that people just give up and gather around cars with TVs in them. I think.

Bud Light Suck One pizzaanddibs's Avatar

I actually just watched this episode on fox on demand and I just did not like I almost fell asleep watching this episode. 2/5

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

The best Bob episode by far since 'Jackanapes' which is definitely a good thing. I really enjoyed it overall. Bob was in top form, as was Homer who had several really hilarious lines. A couple things bugged me though. I wish there wasn't all that stupid unneeded and unrelated filler at the start. It seemed completely pointless and rambling- where Bob's plot could have been set up in a tenth of the time and we could have seen more of him and Cecil. Another damn Opal appearance too, but luckily it was short this time!

I also found the mystery a bit too rediculous. Lisa seemed to be explaining everything to the viewer way too much which sort of proved the point, but overall I liked it. The ending was hilarious and the animation was brilliant. Overall a B+

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Stonecutter

I liked the fact that SS Bob's whole family was involved in this scheme and the set-up was hilarious, especially the slideshow, but there didn't seem enough time for each member of the family. Cecil and Mr. Terwilliger didn't have many lines and the rest of the family was just along for the ride, it seemed. Also a shame was the fact that Bob was only introduced a quarter of the way through. The plot was great though and I like the fact the whole family's in prison now! A downside to Sideshow Bob episode's now and in the future, though, will be we'll probably have to see his whole family every time he returns, meaning less time given to him. Sideshow Bob episodes have now become Terwilliger vs. Simpson episodes, it seems. 4/5 B+

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was a fine episode but what really bugged me was how for once Bart was completely in character, and his performance was done so well, but his whining at the end right before Homer says "No Marge, he has got to get over his fear of coffins" was embarassing and hard to watch.
    I understand it was necessary so it could open up for Groenings "favorite" line, but it was just awkward and didnt feel like something Bart would do. What do you guys think, because other than that I feel the writing for Bart, and voice acting was done extremely well.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

So, let me get this straight, you felt Bart was out of character in his actions when he was about to get incinerated?

It's not right for a ten year old boy to start panicking when he thinks he's truly about to die? Um, if that's your point, then... strongly disagree.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No you obviously dont understand what I am trying to say. I know that Bart is supposed to be in fear for his life, but in past episodes where Bart was about to die (THOH, Sideshow Bob episodes) he has never sounded like a baby when he was in danger. He was scared but there was always something about his fear that felt executed perfectly to his character. In Funeral For A Fiend, I felt it wasnt executed very well.
    For example the "hot hot hot hot hot!!" line that Bart used was perfect, but the "Help me, I'm still in here, what are you doing?" (probably not exact quote but you know the scene before Homer says the "Fear of Coffins" line) felt tacked on and didnt roll well because of his whiny off-voice.
    Its hard to explain, but another thing that also made me not feel for the scene was the fact that the suspenseful music stops when Marge pulls the lever and all of a sudden there is this music that expresses that they accomplished what they were trying to do. Then it cuts to Bart still in fear and I guess pain, and after the coffin joke he finally gets taken out. I think they should of kept the suspenseful music and used the "accomplished" music right when he gets taken out of the coffin.
    I'm sorry if this makes no sense to you guys, but it does to me. Overall what I am basically saying is that I like the fact that Bart was scared, but I feel it was executed terribly and could have been better. Watch the episode again, and you might see what Im talking about.

This is definatly one of my favourite Sideshow Bob episodes, I enjoyed the fact he target the whole family and not just Bart; I liked his tiff with lisa, I also liked the recurring vocie of cecil.

Did anyone else kind of hope the episode would feature marge becoming adicted to TV, a roles reversed with homer. The electronics store scene was great too.

4/5

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Amazing Episode
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

the original Sex Pistol

Good episode, Sideshow Bob always scores.

B

Blog Entries

I watched it pretty recently and ... I gotta say that I am still bugged on just how the public commercial would only be able to lure the Simpsons with other people being able to watch it. Did Sideshow Bob play a little trick that would send that commercial to just to that specific Simpson TV?
    calmer than you are

a good Bob episode for me, but not one of my favorites with him, the story gets too bad in the end and is a little bit unsatisfying imo

B-/C+

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Thread Information