Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Galalimit

Joel H Cohen: No new episodes past 2007 due to strike(and even more bad news)

Here in Canada, on a Canadian channel called NewsWorld, Joel Cohen appeared live via satelitte to discuss the current strike. In it, he said there's only enough new episodes lined up for the rest of the year, after that, that's it.

He also said that when the writers do eventually return, there will be such a backlog that there won't be any new episodes until this time next year which is November 2008.

this is a joke thread right? RIGHT?!?!?!

Galalimit

No, I just watched it, it was live too. He was being serious. He and the interviewer were talking about various things related to the strike and when he was asked about his own show The Simpsons, he said that.

It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Wow...really? So we're going to get four or so more episodes, then an entire year without OFF? That's...going to be a strange feeling.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Vote Quimby!

Now the show will go on forever...
    I'm one sad ape-like dude.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    Wow...really? So we're going to get four or so more episodes, then an entire year without OFF? That's...going to be a strange feeling.
    don't worry, we'll create 50 Scully vs. Jean threads, 500 overrated threads and a "Lisa The Skeptic" lounge for continuous survival of the forum.

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

You forgot about the obligatory 30 "These Forums Suck Now" threads. Plus, we could make rate and review threads for episodes we make up.

so this is really true huh? no new eps after december? for a year!?!? that sounds scary and deppressing. hopefully the strike will end and it wont have to go that far. but if it does, hopefully it will give the writers time to come with alot of new jokes and ideals, and when they do go back to writing, they wont just write whatever comes to mind. i'm not saying new eps are bad, it just seems they aren't as witty as they could be if the writers put a little more thought into them.

Stonecutter

Is this going to be the case even if they resolve the strike in the next few weeks? (I know it's not likely, but we can hope).

This will be very weird indeed. Very weird. So, when it comes back, will we still be in Season 19, or will Fox call it Season 20? We know they've already recorded all 22 episodes of Season 19, so surely there can't be that much of a backlog to get through once they do come back? On the positive side, though, at least Cohen is anticipating a long future for this show - it doesn't look as if it will be brought down by the strike. Well, I hope that they come to some agreement soon - and release an extra season on DVD next year to make up for this! :angry:

While it will feel weird not having new episodes for a year, the show needs this. Especially Al Jean, that meathead.

Well this is weird, but it makes you think how lucky The Simpsons have been to have aired for all these years and for this to have never happened to it before...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

Does this mean we will get to see Husbands and Knives and Funeral for a Fiend, and than we'll have to wait till November 2008?

despite the fact that the show is barely worth watching anymore, this still sort of sucks.

What a downer.

Sunday nights are going to be terribly boring.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Though I haven't watched any new Simpsons episodes for a while, I'm feeling a bit conflicted about this. Still, I supported the recent postal strikes, so I'll support the writers' strike. The most positive thing to potentially come out of this is the possibility of fresher storylines and fresher scripts.

ain't no half steppin Son of Bomber's Avatar

awesome

I Talk To The Wind You Bent My Wookiee's Avatar

Oh great.... I guess I'll just have to wait until 2008 before seeing episodes after the ones that are ready to go... I bet the show is going to lose some money, not very good for the show.

Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god. Oh man. Oh god.

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

That just doesn't make any sense. There are many episodes right now in mid-production. Whenever the strike ends, they can pick up where they left off. They won't be starting a new season from scratch -- the partially completed episodes aren't going anywhere. If anything, more animation will be done by then.

The January episodes were going to be ready to air in two months from now. Unless there's some fine point I'm missing, they can be ready two months from when the strike ends instead.
    Last edited by Jerry P.; 11-12-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Junior Camper

This is going to suck. Not only for the Simpsons, but for TV in general. As if there isn't enough reality tv shows, thats all thats going to be on the air thats new.

Hopefully the strike will be resolved and TV will be back to normal by January or February.
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

Wait....what happened to 22 of the 23 episodes being completed?

Wait, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Didn't Jean say they'd almost finished the KABF production code? And look at the past couple of seasons. Every year, the first eight or so episodes are from the previous years production code. So with this in mind, how do we not have 14 or so KABFs ready to go? How much does an episode need to be rewritten before airing?
    groin-grabbingly transcendent!

What if they start recruiting NHC members to be writers? :silly:

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

When he said the rest of the year, are you sure he didn't mean the rest of the season and then next season won't start until mid november?

Stonecutter

Bad news, of course. Atleast we'll be able to see a couple of KAB's. My guess is that Season 19 will continue at the end of next year, with the chance of a 25 episode Season or so.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Yeah, I don't get it. Aren't the scripts really, essentially, completed and just need to be reworked? But that's absolutely no reason animation can't be carried through, and after hearing about what rewriting can do to episodes (namely the ending for THOH XVIII), I'd kind of like to see an episode that hasn't been worked to death - it could go either way but I don't totally get how it can't be worked out that way.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Maybe it's some sort of legal issue, like they aren't allowed to show the episodes until the matter is resolved...? Then again, why would we be seeing ANY more episodes this year?

We need some official clarification.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    This is going to suck. Not only for the Simpsons, but for TV in general. As if there isn't enough reality tv shows, thats all thats going to be on the air thats new.

Hopefully the strike will be resolved and TV will be back to normal by January or February.
    Fox's new reality show: "Scabs", where writers who didn't get 'big' in the WGA, but now have chancel!

Maybe it's some sort of legal issue, like they aren't allowed to show the episodes until the matter is resolved...? Then again, why would we be seeing ANY more episodes this year?

We need some official clarification
    Maybe these episodes are "done enough' and don't need anymore rewriting and the rest will just sit until Nov'08.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

They can't finish the episodes because showrunners have now decided to strike with the writers, meaning that production work will cease as well.

Oy. I'd have to say I have a bit of a mixed reaction to this too. No question it sucks that we're not gonna get any new episodes for a year, but as some have said, it is possible or even probable that this will equate to better scripts once the show is finally back on (one can only hope).

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd
    But that's absolutely no reason animation can't be carried through, and after hearing about what rewriting can do to episodes (namely the ending for THOH XVIII), I'd kind of like to see an episode that hasn't been worked to death
    That's an interesting point, but at the same time, it would seem that the endless rewriting of the episodes is what made the classic era so fantastic. Perhaps that's turned against them now after doing it for such a long period of time, but I dunno, I generally get the feeling that it's more the episodes aren't getting enough time put into them as oppose to them getting too much time. Or maybe the THOH thing (and any other situations like it) is just about having the wrong guys making the wrong final decisions.

Still, I'd be kinda intrigued to see the result of an episode done that way too, if not just for a change of pace, to see what, if any, difference it makes.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim."

Thread Information