56 25.45%
  • 3/5

75 34.09%
  • 2/5

54 24.55%
  • 1/5

19 8.64%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Treehouse Of Horror XVIII" (JABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review "Treehouse Of Horror XVIII" (JABF16)

Written by Marc Wilmore, directed by Chuck Sheetz

The frightfest begins in “Mr. and Mrs. Simpson” as Homer and Marge leave for what appears to be an ordinary day. But Homer is living a double life as a secret agent, and he is assigned to eliminate Kent Brockman. When a mysterious woman blocks Homer’s shot and tries to kill Brockman herself, Homer finds that his competition “hits” a little too close to home. In “E.T. Go Home,” Bart and Lisa come to the aid of Kodos the space alien, who’s hiding from the government. Kodos asks them to help him obtain a long list of devices so he can reconnect with his home planet, but his intentions prove to be anything but friendly. In the final Halloween scare, “Heck House,” Bart, Lisa and their friends spend Halloween night pulling pranks on unsuspecting people in Springfield. But when they go too far, Flanders decides he’s going to spook them straight. Transforming the church into the “Heck House,” Flanders is filled with supernatural power and subjects the children to his wrath of seven deadly sins.

Preview/Speculation Thread

Pin Pal

E.T. Go Home: C+

Mr. and Mrs. Simpson: B+

Heck House: A-

Over all: 3.5/5

This one was little a bit better than last years THOH

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this place is a madhouse. ;-/

IMO, this was probably the worst THoH to date, and the only joke I really laughed at was the "More bread please" after Homer turned to Spagetti.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Huh....so they got rid of FG, in the beginning, and replaced it with Prison Break (sorry if this old news....I didn't know about it until tonight). Whatever, for the most part I enjoyed it. The shortness in length of episodes these days is really showing when the Halloween episodes air. Mr. And Mrs. Simpson was probably my favourite.
    Last edited by The J Man; 11-04-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Junior Camper

Better than the past few but thats saying very little.

C+
    Season 19 Grades
    He loves to fly and he d'ohs-D, The Homer of Seville C+, Midnight Towboy B IDWKWTCBSB+

First segment was pretty solid. Second one was a stupid choice for a Halloween show, and was really uninteresting aside from a few decent lines. Third one was kind of all over the place. C- or so overall.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

That was kinda disappointing, actually.

The opening wasn't too bad, it worked and I liked Marge addressing the audience directly again. It wasn't anything special but it wasn't bad, either. It was entertaining.

First segment was okay. Some pretty funny stuff, but it felt rushed and really, really incomplete. I did like Kodos' role, and it's the best use of the aliens we've gotten in a long time. I do wish Bart had taken the shot at the end, though, and not Homer. I dunno, a quick cut from Bart looking sympathetic to totally menacing could've been funny, plus it's a THOH, so I'd like to see the characters act a little crueler than usual, anyway. The ending was odd, though. I guess 3.5/5 for that one.

Mr. and Mrs. Simpson was actually my favourite - I'd give it a 4.5/5. It worked really, really well, even if it was just a bunch of violence and shooting and whatnot. It was funny, it was kind of Halloweeny, it seemed a little menacing and it worked really well. Plus, I thought Bart and Lisa's appearance was hilarious - "Whatever we did we're sorry!" just getting them freaked out like that. It was nice. But yeah, it was really fun to watch and the violence worked perfectly. The ending was funny as well (until Skinner's "remember me" or whatever it was). Yeah, I liked this one.

Heck House was a disappointment. I looked at the clock as it was starting and saw so little time left - and while the reasoning and pranks were kind of funny, and Lisa's characterization was good (along with Lenny's remark), it just felt... lame and stupid. I liked Flanders' attempt at scaring the kids, but there simply wasn't enough time to actually get the thing to be a little, um, scary. This one would have benefited from maybe an extra two minutes. Right from when Flanders got turned into his devil persona the whole thing just got stupid and lame. 3/5 for the parts before that, I guess. But... it really could've used a bit more time.

So overall... about 3.5/5 or so, rounded up to 4/5, and I guess, a weak B-, for now, until my second viewing. It was okay but overall a disappointment - the biggest laugh for me was "Health Care in This Country."

Junior Camper

So far Season 19 has been great! I'm not a huge fan of the Halloween episodes to be honest so for me, this wasn't terribly exciting. I did enjoy the Mr. & Mrs. Smith spoof. I could have watched a full episode just based on that premise.

Inbetween fan and freak panterafan06's Avatar

1st - 4/5
    2nd - 4.5/5
    3rd - 3/5

Overall - 4/5
    Top 20 Episodes
    20. Homer's Enemy 19. Homie the Clown 18.Trilogy of Error 17. Das Bus 16. RoseBud 15. Bart Sells His Soul14. Summer of 4'2 13. Marge vs. the Monorail 12. Cape Feare 11. Homer at the Bat 10. Mother Simpson 9. Treehouse of Horrer V 8. Homer the Heretic 7. Lisa's Substitute 6. Lisa the Vegetarian 5. Who Shot Mr. Burns? 4. Bart's Comet 3. Lemon of Troy 2. You Only Move Twice 1. Last Exit To Springfield
    Snubs: Duffless, Mountain of Madness, In Marge We Trust, Any Other season 3-9 episode.

4>7>8>6>5>3>2>9>19>15>10>1>13>14>16>12>17>11>18

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quite possibly the worst THOH ever. The only one that really had any resemblance to a plot was the ET parody and that one started out good but fizzled out in the end.

The Mr. & Mrs. Smith one was an absolute disaster with no real plot, terrible jokes and a bad ending. Basically it was just Homer and Marge trying to kill eachother and there was nothing really humourous about it.

The Heck House segment had a tonne of potential, but it was executed very poorly and when Flanders entered the episode, it became kind of pointless.

I'm as optimistic as anyone about these new episodes, but overall, a terrible episode and without a doubt the worst of the season so far. It was executed very poorly. 1/5.

Banned

When does this air in Australia? It's so annoying. I'm going to have to download it.

Highly entertaining. Marge opened well, Bart ruled with his E.T. parody teaming with Kodos. I never saw the movie the second one was based on, but I liked it lots! and the final one was a decent dead-on homage to all those stupid Church sponsored haunted houses, (If you ever actually been to one, you'll know what I mean). A great belated Halloween treat.

I gives it 4.95/5

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

Segment 1:

No jokes were really groanworthy, but none were really that funny either. Just kind of so-so. It wasn't too bad. 3.5/5.

Segment 2:

While not as bad as I anticipated, it was still a little iffy. The verbal humor was great, but the overuse of pointless violence was pretty lame. 2/5.

Segment 3:

I liked it. It was a bit all over the place, but the bottom line was that it was funny, and I felt it was one of the funniest THOH segments as of recently. 4/5.

3/5 Decent episode but not really excellent.

Very disappointing episode. The direction was poor all around, the animation was stiff, and most importantly, the episode just wasn't that funny for the most part. The first segment was intensely dull and pointless. It had the feeling of a regular Simpsons episode featuring an alien.

The second clip was a huge surprise. Had it not been for this segment this episode would have flopped completely. Homer's brain converstation was one of the funniest gags in recent memory. 4.5/5.

The third segment was extremely rushed. It would have worked great without the extremely annoying montages, and potentially be a classic, but instead it was a mess with a weak moral message at the end. 3/5

It's like swallowing Draino

1/5

Turns out, I could've done something more creative like studying one of my law textbooks or balancing my checkbook. Instead, I decided to tune into one of the worst, if not the worst THoH I have ever seen. The segments were poorly thought-out, the characterization was bland, and almost every joke flatlined. I'm in a foul mood as it is, so I won't explain why I thought this one bombed as much as it did, not when some members are able to explain it so much more skillfully.

Oh, but golly-gee-whiz! Homer had his head shoved up Spider-Pig's rear! Wasn't that a larf? ;-/

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I didn't really like ET Go Home, didn't really laugh except when Homer realized it was Kodos rubbing him and he covered his chest. worse than i expected

Mr. & Mrs. Simpson was ok at first when he was sniping all the people, espesially the guy on the ladder doing the wine glass trick and them filling with blood. better than i expected

Now Heck House, idky but i loved it. I liked how it was actually halloween related. Nelson jumping out of the sack and hitting Moleman with a bat was great, and Agnes spitting in Milhouse's candy thing was pretty good. idk i gotta see it again but it really saved the episode for me. Just about what i expected

O and how can i forget Plopper, alittle strange for a first appearance on the show but we'll see how they use him in the future (hopefully not to often)

4/5 mainly because of Heck House

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Wow, I must be in the minority who felt that this one was pretty strong. First two segments were good, last segment was pretty weak. I found the first segment to be the strongest humor wise, and the second the strongest plot wise, even if it was just Marge and Homer shooting each other. I felt Heck House, though at times funny, was pretty bland and pointless.

All I can say is at least this one felt very "Halloweeny." I'd say C+/B-.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Mehhhhhhh...so dull. While I consider some of the Scully episodes to be the worst THOHs due to the overuse of go-nowhere violence, this episode was pretty lousy in a whole new way: neo-Jean lameness. I did miss the first few minutes, but the first act felt very pointless and aimless. I can't remember a single gag from it outside of the rather fun Fantasia nod.

The second act was okay, mainly for the action, but the story and gag-writing were once again tired (big surprise seeing Homer and Marge get turned on again. Didn't this just happen in the Dangerous Game parody two years ago?).

The third act was probably the best of the bunch, but had its share of problems too (ANOTHER music montage!? Some strange pacing, etc). Flanders was a bit over-the-top, but it's forgivable since it's a THOH. I liked Killy and the other deadly sins (the sloth and gluttony gags were pretty fun, as was the depiction of Hell...anyone else notice the Cerebrus crotch-liking joke was already in a Venture Bros ep?). Nice to see Spider-Pig briefly, even if it was a rather odd joke.

Eh, I dunno about this one. All three of the stories had a very pointless feel, not even attempting to develop an interesting visual style or atmosphere in the least. And they had the perfect opportunity to place walkie-talkies in those soldiers' hands in the first act!

I dunno, C- or somethin'...
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Not very good, but not completely unwatchable either. Mr. & Mrs. Simpson wasn't even based on a horror or sci-fi movie (though it was one of the more brutal segments). Eeeerm, I guess 3/5.
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 11-04-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Too fast, I didn't think there was enough time for the three stories. There were a couple of jokes I liked, the E.T. one was my favorite, but I felt it could have been better. I know it's tradition to do three Halloween segments, but I'd rather see more time spent on one or two stories and abandon the three story format. Beautiful art and animation.

The Mr. & Mrs. Smith one was the best. Homer flying threw the cealing after Marge throwing a grenade was halarious. The animation reminded me of season 7. Chuck Sheetz did a great job one this one.

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

Well there was quite a bit i really liked in this one. True its not up to the par of the classic THOH (IV, V, and VI).

E.T. Go Home: I thought this was a really good ET parody (albeit 20 years too late but good none the less) Loved the scene where Bart was showing all his toys to Kodos and going through things from the series history like Funzo and Linguo. The shower scene was hillarious with Kodos' disgust at massaging naked Homer. Also loved the detail of the policemens heads exploding as well as all the different costumed aliens coming out of the portal. Really just taking everything about ET and turning it on it's end was just a thrill for me. The ending was a bit of a let down cause well I love Kang and Kodos i dont want them to die 4/5

Mr and Mrs Simpson: Now I know that i complained about it not being halloween themed and i stand by that but damn if it wasnt good. I havent seen the movie it's a parody of so I dont know how accurate a parody it was but I still enjoyed it. The funniest parts for me here were Homer sliding down the stairs with a chain gun and the fact that the kissing scene caused similar damage as the fight scene did. 3/5

Heck House: It was a good premise but it seemed super rushed in the pacing. I liked how many more balloons were thrown at Agnes after she reminded the kids that she was their principle's mother. I also loved the re-appearance of Plopper. But the pacing and excecution were really off and it really killed this one. I think if they had the extra 2 minutes in the show that they used to have that this would have been much better 1/5

Over all i'd give it a 3/5

Homer Mad Homer Smash

My rating: 3/5.

Not a really great THOH -- it wasn't really -- well FUNNY. It was like watching just any old television show -- and hey we're talking The Simpson's here!

The intro was cute, I liked the way they brought in the intro credits in the meatloaf with people in it.

The ET spoof was awful. I loved the movie ET and if the writer's were doing something other than writing when they wrote this -- it showed. They could have done so much more with one of the most famous Spielberg movies of all time, but instead they got lost in whatever else was occupying their minds.

Just as I thought they were going to get into something which really spoofed ET well, it was as if the idea was here, and then poof -- gone.

Funniest ET bit was when Homer is in the shower with Codos and he starts talking about how the tenticles are so soft. And it wasn't even that he was getting a massage by tenticles that caused him to turn, it was that he was being able to talk in the first place.

Did any notice the contintuity error in this scene? At first both Homer and Codos are wearing towels, but after they switch to Marge and then back to Homer and Codos, only Homer is wearing a towel.

Mr. and Mrs. Simpson was another flop attempt at a movie spoof "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." It was more gruesome than funny. Though the gruesome bits were well done, there simply weren't any really good jokes in this story -- and isn't the show a comedy?

The last story was probably the best of the worst. I liked how the kids went on a trick rampage and how Lisa followed along to fit in -- but felt guilty doing so.

They could have done quite a bit more with this plot line too -- I think they brought in Ned as the Devil way to late. They should have played on the goody goody turned devil more.

The blatent use of corporate sponsorship at the end ruined an already weak show. Yes, everyone jokes about Fox's use of their airtime to promote their products, even doing it in the movie was funny. But doing it too many times isn't a joke anymore, it's just shameful self promotion.

The star of tonight's episode was Spider Pig/Mr. Plopper -- he was the best written part of the show. And that doesn't say much for the writing overall.
    OfficerWriter

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

Pretty good for a THOH episode. The opening segment was one of the best in a while; I almost went nuts when the body parts baked in the bread were used to spell out the title.
    First segment was pretty good. Plenty of good jokes, although most of them were pretty predictable. I would have liked to see Bart shoot Kodos. It would have been hilarious if he had blown that alien to bits with that pitiful look still on his face. Kodos's line at the end was brilliant.
    The second segment was decent. There was very little plot, but there was enough shooting to make it worthwhile. Some of the jokes where they attempted to make Marge and Homer look like an ordinary troubled married couple gave me the best laughs I've ever gotten from a THOH episode. Homer's thoughts while he ate the lasagna were predictable and overused, but they were timed well enough to make it good.
    The last segment was probably the worst. Aside from some of the tricks (Nelson coming out of the bag and clubbing Moleman), it was pretty pathetic. The Hell House was kind of pathetic. What the hell was Moe doing taking money out of a strippers underwear? That just wasn't right.
    Overall, pretty good however. 4 / 5

P.S. Three shows never works out anymore. Try doing just one show, then maybe you can fit some plot in with the gore.

YAY! PLOPPER!!! *ahem*

That was one of the few things I enjoyed about the episode tonight. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson was the best segment, but that's not saying much, this was a pretty bad THOH. And Ned as the Devil was just sad, because you know SO MUCH MORE could have been done with it, but instead it had to be cut short and was way underdeveloped. I did like the intro though.

Not gonna let it mar my hopes for this season, as its the only real clunker so far tho.... 2/5 (The second segment and the appearance of Spiderpig save it from a 1 )

My incoherent, unorganized thoughts;
    Animation was stellar. Very impressive. I'm undecided on the episode's score. I will say I thought the Mr. and Mrs. Smith parody was done wonderfully, and characterizations were great in the third act [something Halloween episodes don't usually have]. The first act was the weakest. I liked how each episode began the same. Decent intro. Overall, not bad. Not the greatest. Will probably end up being underrated. It is clear [like the last several years] that time is a huge issue. Why not just have two segments? It would be so much easier and better. If they had cut ET and developed Mr. & Mrs. Simpson and Heck House more they could have been much better.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Opening 5/5
    E.T. Go Home 3/5
    Mr. and Mrs. Simpson 5/5
    Heck House 5/5

The first segment had a slow start, it took me a while to figure out that Bart and Lisa thought Kodos (who apparently is male) is a friendly alien, when apparently he plans on causing destruction. Nice to see Funzo, Linguo, and Phonic Frog.

Mr. and Mrs. Simpson put the "horror" back in Treehouse of Horror, it's just that the murder was a bit overdone. I liked the twist ending though. Apparently Homer weighs 241 pounds now.

Heck House was my favorite of the three segments. It captured the spirit of Halloween and the hell scenes were perfectly executed. Also nice to see Spider-Pig. My only complaint is Flanders blabbing on about the Fox network.

Overall, B+, much better than Treehouse of Horrors 15, 16, and 17.

Side note- I didn't find Plopper funny at all. A disgusting Scully-esque moment. Someone above posted it was the best-written joke of the episode. They should either pay more attention, or get a better sense of humour.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

The first segment was the only segment with any significant redeeming value to it. None of the segments had more than about a 25% gag hit rate, but at least the first segment had a fun story and a new look at Kodos. I won't even go into acts two and three but I'll just say that it's pretty sad when they do a lamer version of a joke from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. D+

Worse than any disgusting Scully moment: Plopper. People didn't believe me when I said Homer's head goes into his rectum.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Thread Information