View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

22 8.73%
  • 4/5

78 30.95%
  • 3/5

89 35.32%
  • 2/5

35 13.89%
  • 1/5

28 11.11%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Homer of Seville" (JABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate & Review "Homer of Seville" (JABF18)

"Homer injures himself in a fall, and while in the hospital he develops the ability to sing in a beautiful, operatic voice whenever he is lying on his back. Mr. Burns overhears Homer during one of his singing sessions at the hospital and immediately hires him to sing the lead in his production of "La Bohme." Although Homer has to lie down during the performance, he wows the crowd at the Springfield Opera House. Homer becomes an enormous celebrity, especially with the ladies much to Marge's chagrin. While running from a mob of crazed fans, Homer is saved by a mysterious woman named Julia (Maya Rudolph), who turns out to be a little too concerned for Homer's wellbeing."

The episode guest stars Maya Rudolph and Placido Domingo and was written by Carolyn Omine.

Promo:

Galalimit

Abit better than last week but still below average. 2/5

I think it really picked up steam as it went along. Homer's assistant was the mvp of the episode, providing the best jokes of the episode. I'd put it in the B/B+ range. 4/5
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

The episode just blew me away. I was expecting complete trash. The episode was very fast paced, constantly hilarious, and I can't imagine anyone claiming it was dull. I'll write more later, but for now I'd just like to express how impressed I am. It makes me wish I rated the premiere lower, as this towers over it. A great episode, definately comparing to 24 Minutes and The Seemingly Never Ending Story.

5/5

EDIT; Marge and Homer's little argument was done wonderfully, and provided some realism in the somewhat wacky episode, as did a couple other moments. This balancing was a key point for me, and I just thought I'd mention how I enjoyed it. It was quick and seemed very real, not like things seen in season 17 and 18 where it feels rehashed and dull. That's what disagreements look like kids, get used to 'em!
    DOUBLE EDIT; Last edit here, great animation. Very fluid and cartoony.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 09-30-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Pin Pal

The first act: C+

The second act: A

The third act: B-

overall: 4/5

EDIT: I decided this episode deserves 4/5
    Last edited by homer2121; 09-30-2007 at 04:56 PM.

4/5

Bias: I’ve had season tickets to the opera for the last 12 years, and I’ve seen La Boheme at least three times.

The first act started out very “meh”, but as soon as the opera plot took over I was laughing my arse off. Especially with Homer’s operatic “D’oh” when Dr. Hibbert was prodding him. 5/5

Second act started out well, but then went downhill for me. Marge getting mad at Homer kind of annoyed me, especially since he wasn’t being much of a jerkass. The opera stalker was a weird turn. They spoiled an opportunity to parody more operas this act. 3/5

Third act continued with the odd stalker plot, but they packed it with more musical reference jokes that I’m sure very few people got (kinda like the poetry episode from last season). I enjoyed most of the act, and we had the second French Horn used as a weapon in an episode this evening. The ending was a bit WTF?, but I was laughing at it. 4/5

Did Marge say “Chief Wiggums”? If so, why?
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Junior Camper

should've been the season premiere, it was very funny and actually had a focused story instead of the usual obvious dumb jokes coming up... very funny and Dan has a great singing voice!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Before stalker: 2/5
    After Stalker: 4/5

Bottom line: Homer needs more stalkers, and the episode gets a 3/5.

Funniest bit: Homer vs the Cobra and Maggie's reaction.

Question: What ever happened to the B-stories?
    My Music (feel free to send a friend request):

Junior Camper

i gave it a 4/5 btw

This episode made no sense at all. The first act started out fine, but the rest was just a giant mess. As much as I hate Marge/Homer marital troubles, a episode that culminated in that crisis probably would have turned out better than this train wreck. The show should really end with this season. Pull of a great finale, and have people remembering it as a great show before it becomes a self parody.

Edit: Apparently, I'm on the outs for this one. Did anyone else not feel the episode couldn't stay focused? Homer becomes an opera singer, then He is stalked by crazy fans only to be saved by a woman motorcycle driver who Marge thinks is perfect, but she blackmails Homer into letting him see her naked, saying she will tell Marge he attacked her, but he finally fires her anyway and she gets angry, so she tries to kill him in the final half of the third act.

Don't get me wrong, the jokes were very good, which is a definate improvement on previous episodes, but the story was not centered at all, and it felt horribly clumsy as a result.
    Last edited by Snack Related Mishap; 09-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

This episode was surprisingly entertaining. Very funny episode and a vast improvement over last week.

Not a r-tard

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Talmidge
    B-stories were never necessary, and today, when they're trying to pack so much into one episode, it isn't wise to do so either.
    Season Grades...
    1 - B, 2 - A+, 3 - A, 4 - A+, 5 - A-, 6 - A+, 7 - A+, 8 - A, 9 - C+, 10 - D+, 11 - F, 12 - C-, 13 - B-, 14 - B, 15 - B+, 16 - B, 17 - C+, 18 - C-

Season 19
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - D+/D
    The Homer of Seville - C-
    Midnight Towboy - N/A
    I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - B-

Junior Camper

I wasn't expecting much of this episode, but boy I was actually laughing hard at some things. First act was great, running out of church with Lisa falling was great. Also the whole funeral crashing was good too. Second act wasn't as memberable but I liked the Entourage thing. Lastly the third act I loved the snipers thing when they kept missing. Stalker angle was great, but I don't really like Mya Rudolph. I'm glad there wasn't too much singing.

All in all I'd have to give this a 4/5. Much better than last weeks I felt.

"Young People are my Future"
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Galalimit
    Abit better than last week but still below average. 2/5
    cosign. Homer singing opera carried on for too long and I had to hit the mute button. Not really any good jokes but still better than last week and no cringeworthy moments like Homer falling down the stairs. 2/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    I don't really like Mya Rudolph.
    Agreed.

With the shorter episodes, I prefer when they leave out the B-story. They barely have enough time for one story as it is.

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

I thought this was better than last week but it was also really predictable where alot of the jokes were going to go.

There were some parts i thought were really funny like Burns shopping for organs, Bart tricking the kid into giving him $10 a week, Homer bashing the cobra against the fridge, and the fact that there is not an accurate sniper in springfield lol.

I really liked the animation in the third act especially with the french horn just thought it looked neat.

On a side note did anyone else find it interesting that the song sung by Homer in the hospital is the same song that Brian sings in the Family Guy episode "The King is Dead?" just thought it was an interesting choice.

over all it was a pretty solid episode but a little too predictable for my tastes 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Cheesesteak
    B-stories were never necessary, and today, when they're trying to pack so much into one episode, it isn't wise to do so either.
    I agree with you to a large extent. But you can't deny that the formula of using a B-story back in the good old days to break up the action and include some nice alternative storylines worked damn well.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Aside from Burns and the cobra, I don't remember anything that spectacular, aside from the entourage reference, I gave it a 3/5 but now thinking back, I should've given it a 4
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Homer's reaction to the stalker taking her clothes off was perfect.

5/5, hilarious. Started out with a plot not related to the main story, just like in classical times.

Luftwaffles earns at least a 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by shark_vs_gorilla
    On a side note did anyone else find it interesting that the song sung by Homer in the hospital is the same song that Brian sings in the Family Guy episode "The King is Dead?" just thought it was an interesting choice.
    Family Guy did use that song. BUT the simpsons used it first. It was in the episode where there is a huge town hall meeting and Marge points to Ralph and Ralph starts to sing the first line of the song homer was singing in the hospital("if ever i would leave you...") before getting booed by the crowd.

Sorry I can't recall the episodes name. but i remember that it involved Lindsey Nagel and her fighting for the rights of single people.

4/5- Very good better than the season preimere.I really liked the chalkboard gag. Did they change the couch gag?-after homer evolved and sat down Marge asked if Homer got the milk I think the original was-"what took so long".
    The stalker was great( I like Mya Rudolph). I also really liked the Entourage referance.

Junior Camper

Yeah they did change the coach gag from the What too you so long

Junior Camper

Family Guy did use that song. BUT the simpsons used it first. It was in the episode where there is a huge town hall meeting and Marge points to Ralph and Ralph starts to sing the first line of the song homer was singing in the hospital("if ever i would leave you...") before getting booed by the crowd.

Sorry I can't recall the episodes name. but i remember that it involved Lindsey Nagel and her fighting for the rights of single people.
    The FG ep is older than that Simpsons ep.

4.5/5

Why? It was funny, entertaining, tagged along with good voice acting. I found myself giggling to the dialogue because it was funny, and not plagued with self referential jokes (bad puns, meta jokes). Placido Domingo had a really decent guest performance, with a funny gag at the end. Wiggum was hysterical, as were the snipers. The entourage joke was damn good, but it wasn't so clever, a little predictable, still funny though. And a nod to Homer's reaction to the stalker stripping, that was a classic reaction. The pacing was also spectacular, this felt like an episode, not a couple of segments whipped together forming one episode. There was a clear beginning, a very fantastic middle, and a somewhat abrupt but satisfying ending. Animation was also kick ass.

Why not? Not a very original plot, characterizations were a little dull. Bart and Lisa did have some witty dialogue though. Burns still isn't Burns, and looks more and more like he'll never be Burns again. That's about it actually, I don't really have any complaints about this episode, it was fantastic.

I really enjoyed it. This season is looking pretty good.

4/5

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty good for a very recent episode but could've been better, close call but 3/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Once again, I'm reminded of why I don't voluntarily tune in anymore. Watched this because my roomates were... first new episode I've seen in almost a year.

Homer becomes an opera singer? YAWN. Year after year Al Jean and his crew continue to spew out 22 new episodes, 90% of which have the most un-inspired, half-assed, unfocused storylines imaginable.

2 or 3 good episodes a season is no reason to keep going on.

2/5

Thread Information