92 32.28%
  • 3/5

88 30.88%
  • 2/5

61 21.40%
  • 1/5

33 11.58%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: R & R "He Loves To Fly and He D'ohs" (JABF20)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

R & R "He Loves To Fly and He D'ohs" (JABF20)

"After Homer saves Mr. Burns from drowning in a mall fountain, Burns thanks him by taking him on a whirlwind trip to Chicago on his private plane. Homer is smitten with the luxury jet and all the perks that come with it, including flying with song legend Lionel Richie, who serenades him with a customized version of "Say You, Say Me." After returning home, Homer makes it his mission to find a job that offers him the chance to fly on a corporate jet and enlists a life coach, guest star Stephen Colbert, to help fulfill this dream."

It was a pretty decent. A little annoyed that there was no reference of Plopper in the actual episode, and I thought the episode was a little fast paced too, but overall, it wasn't so bad. I guess it just barely gets a 7/10 in my books.

Colbert was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

I think we can all agree that the Voice acting was Great.

ESPECIALLY Marge!

Junior Camper

I thought the episode was hilarious, it ended a little too quick, but all in all... I'd say it was a step up from most episodes from season 18. I gave it a 4/5, the pilot who was on heroine was hilarious haha I'm still laughing at that joke.
    Hooray for The Simpsons

3/5. Some good laughs, but no plopper and the extremely short format of all current era Simpsons episodes detract from it.

The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar

I thought it was very good. I enjoyed Colbert in the episode and there was some actual good emotion in the episode. Some of the gags fell a tad short but I thought the characterizations were real good and all and all it was a solid episode.

Edit: Loved the pilot on heroin joke

4/5 even though I voted 5/5..er

Great Couch gag

Yeah Ralph

great gag with burns and fountian

Cookie

"Hey baby"

Beer Me Beer me for always

Extracter

Ferris Bueller was great

Commerical is for losers and terrorists ( for some reason this was funny

WE WROTE IT

Lost Sandwich

Ballet Bowling

lenny

Second act was a little werid it better payoff if it doesn't ( Sticks fist in air)

Duffman reported this the FAA

Lional ritchie is crazy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAaronB
    I think we can all agree that the Voice acting was Great.

ESPECIALLY Marge!
    Bart and Lisa sounded a little off at times.

3/5 for me. Some good jokes here and there (Wherever The White Sox Play, "My summer love") but nothing special. Colbert was a decent guest star.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Ugh...a couple funny moments, but tons of strange lines that are so awkward it's hard to tell that they're jokes. The dialogue has just gotten worse and worse since season 14, and now it's even worse than painful. It's confusing. D-
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Pin Pal

3.5 rounded up too 4/5

i liked the 1st act a lot

a lot of okay jokes in this episode.
    it shows hope for season 19

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

I can't remember hearing lisa speaking. Bart sounded a little girly, but it sounded more natural, and less forced.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I'll wait until I see it for a second time before voting in the poll, but right now I'm sitting at about a 3/5 or a C.

I'm happy it got right to the point and the pacing wasn't bad, and I really loved the animation on the plane. A lot of the jokes failed for me though, and I know there were some good ones in there, but I can't remember them. The emotion wasn't too bad though, I liked it. All of Lisa's appearances bugged me for some reason, though, she felt thrust in there to me. Voice acting didn't sound too bad to me. Oh yeah, and I loved the opening, except for the couch gag, which was... okay.

So yeah, my opinion on it is average at the moment. I'm disappointed Colbert's character didn't have any freak-outs, though.

Junior Camper

4/5.

Mostly because of Colbert, Lionel Ritchie, Intro was great. Some good belly laughs I got out of this episode. It was a decent premier.

Tonite on Rock Bottom

I loved the opening, but i was really disappointed that they had no reference to the movie in the episode itself. I guess they made the movie as a stand-alone.

Overall, Some Funny things, especially the pilot on heroin

4/5

Oh YEAH NO PLOPPER!!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guh...I didn't like this one. It felt like I was watching a series of lame jokes with bad filler in between (along with some semblance of a plot). IMO, this ranks down there with the greats.

2/5

EDIT: Wow, it refferenced the movie in the opening credits, so that makes it at least a "4"! ;-/
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 09-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Well, I would have to say that I was quite impressed with this episode. The voice acting, as mentioned, was superb (finally!) and the episode felt long for once (which is a good thing). I can see some others not liking it particularly because it really is not laugh out loud funny, but there was genuine emotion there. Seeing Homer in his normal daily activities (e.g.- bowling) was very refreshing. Also, the montage was good by recent season standards. I laughed quite a bit at Lenny's line and Colby's line about America later in the episode.

There was something very different about this episode, I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it was the animation. At one moment, superb, at others, a little off model (a scene with Homer in front of the house comes to mind).

As for the negative, Mr. Burns' appearance was pretty dumb (the cell phone and fountain jokes were the low-light of the episode), but I did like the comments about the penny in the fountain. Colbert's appearance was good, but it was not as memorable as it could have been. Lionel Richie had a decent line at the end, but was pretty pointless. Lisa was almost non-existent, but it was fine since this was a very Homer focused episode.

I guess the key word in "Homer-focused" should be placed on "focused." By and large, I felt the episode was focused, which is something that comes as a surprise in the past two seasons. The writers seemed like they wanted to keep continuity, actually mentioning that he'll have to beg for his job back. Kudos to them for recognizing the audience wants closure and is not that dumb.

So, I'd give this episode a B+ if it weren't for those speedbumps. So a solid B should suffice, AKA 4/5.

P.S.- Definitely the best premiere in a long time.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I thought it was pretty bad. Very unoriginal plot and not many good jokes. Al Jean has really drove this show into the ground. 2/5

I'm giving it an extra point for the opening with movie references.

The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hobbesup
    I loved the opening, but i was really disappointed that they had no reference to the movie in the episode itself. I guess they made the movie as a stand-alone.

Overall, Some Funny things, especially the pilot on heroin

4/5

Oh YEAH NO PLOPPER!!
    I figure the movie will fit in as a reference. It happened but all is well in Springfield again.

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

I thought this one was pretty good over all. I did think it moved too fast granted i do understand that there is less time to tell a story as there was in the more classic seasons.

Absolutely loved the movie opening. I thought the guest stars did a great job especially Colbert. Loved the Homer bowling animation (in your face Fred Flintstone )

Overall i guess i would rate it as a sort of middle of the road episode, Ok but not great. It just seemed as though there was something missing. I think the break neck pace of the episode would have been more suited for straight comedy instead of trying to slow down and show Homer's sadness and dissapointment about the plane and not getting the job.

rating : 3/5

*also loved the staple gun joke. anytime anyone is shot with a staple gun you'll get a laugh from me. (if you must know why ask me)

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the fact that the plane animation was done in CGI(ala futurama-esque). I found it to be a fresh, nice touch.

Overall a good season premire. I agree with most people on the fact that it does show hope for this season.
    My Music (feel free to send a friend request):

4/5- It was good not great. I loved the couch gag and Colbert was great.

The Good
    "The Iphone is now 60 cents" -so true
    Where ever the White Sox play
    "I didn't think I'd be flying so I took some Heroin"
    Homer's life coach speech about how Homer is like America.

The best season premiere I've seen in a while. Homer's interest-of-the-day is more motivated, to put it one way, and the jokes were on target, no real misses.

4.0/5

Elephant Fresh Lobster Harmonica's Avatar

Decent episode. The references to the movie in the opening were good. The only very memorable parts otherwise are Homer doing the mazes on the place mats while drinking coffee and Duffman reporting to the FFA. The animation was quite good. 3/5

The animation and voice acting (surprisingly) were fantastic. The plot, however, wasn't. A few good jokes in between. I really enjoyed the bowling ally scene, when was the last time that place was used?

3.5/5, not sure where to round yet.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Excellent episode -- 4/5.

The movie-spin-off intro was awesome, loved the chalkboard bit "We won't wait another 20 years to make a movie."

Lots of great gags and jokes too.

Like when Homer says he can't take the time off work to drive to Chicago because of his boss (and he was talking to Mr. Burns.)

When Mr. Burns says the flight attendant will do anything, but sex and then repeats she'll do anything and Homer says "I'm slightly aroused and confused."

Was hoping to see more Spider Pig -- that was cute at the intro. Also was hoping to see continuation of Lisa's boyfriend from the movie -- but maybe that will be in another episode.

The pacing, animation and voices were all bang on.

Good start to another season.
    OfficerWriter

First time poster, long time Simpsons fan, have seasons 1-7 on DVD. After seeing tonight's lackluster season premiere all I can say is, C'mon guys, give it a rest. It's just getting sad.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Pretty lame episode, the plot kinda went nowhere. Some sorta decent jokes, but overall not the best episode.

I liked tonights King of the Hill a LOT more.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrakAttack
    First time poster, long time Simpsons fan, have seasons 1-7 on DVD. After seeing tonight's lackluster season premiere all I can say is, C'mon guys, give it a rest. It's just getting sad.
    Sure, we'll listen to a guy who makes his first post. Especially a guy who denounces one of the best premieres in recent years.

i think it's a pretty standard 3.5-4.0 episode. it had a nice mixture of serviceable and inspired gags. I gave it a 4
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

I thought this episode was terrible, it just felt like a string of bad jokes. I wouldn't go as far as calling it plotless, but the overall plot felt really weak...

I'm worried, if this episode was suppose to be strong enough to be the season opener, then what's the rest of S19 going to be like?

And I didn't like the CGI that was used for the planes, but I'm stubborn and I never really like it when a 2D animation uses CGI. It feels like a lazy shortcut, it never really seems to fit with the rest of the show. I liked how the Simpsons never did that... but... argh, I guess that was ruined too now? I hope they don't use CGI *EVERY CHANCE THEY GET*

But I really loved Bart and Homer's little exchange before Homer left... "he's not my boyfriend!" Lol. =D So cute!

Thread Information