View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
939. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

298 31.74%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

188 20.02%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

159 16.93%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

90 9.58%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

106 11.29%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

31 3.30%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

25 2.66%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

10 1.06%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.28%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.75%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

13 1.38%
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

For awhile I thought my very tepid response to the movie was due to having watched Marge vs. the Monorail right before seeing it in the theatre.

When I finally got around to watching it on DVD last year, I realized that the movie sucks even if you don't compare it to anything.

RATING: 1.5/5

Get 'im, Sheba! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never reviewed this? Wow.

An amazing movie that shows the writers still have it. Loads of jokes, emotion, animation, and everything else. Perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    Don't tell what to do fuck face, and I'm not changing it I do what I want so fuck you bitch
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Homer's Triple Bypass Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I never reviewed this? Wow.
    and you still haven't either

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Granto

Blog Entries

I'm not good at reviewing, OK? Give me a break.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I'm not good at reviewing, OK? Give me a break.
    At least try.
    Tell us about...
    Tell us about the mediocre first part that felt like an early Jean-episode and the wacky Alaska-part that felt like a typical Scully-episode, mixed with the videotape-scene and 'close to you' which broke you into 1000 pieces.

Blog Entries

All right. For you, cinco.

The Itchy & Scratchy in itself was great (Though there was no blood) and so was the concert. I don't know anything about Green Day, though. Then it plunges right into the plot, with the hilarious Grampa scene, and Marge trying to decipher it. I liked Colin, though I thought that they could go a bit deeper into his personality. The Flanders/Bart relationship...Well, it just seemed a bit like filler to me, but the hot cocoa scene was funny. Then, later in Alaska, it really picks up, with the sadness and the humor. I have to go now. Bye!

I know I'm really late for this thread, bit I DID see the movie when it came out, and loved it. However, after recently seeing it again on DVD, I only give it four stars, because IMO it should have been a little longer.

But other than that small complaint, it remains one of the best animated features from last decade.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

Although I am so late for this thread (I saw the movie at 7PM on July 27th, 2007 - nearly three years ago) and shouldn't even bother with a review, I decided I should post my review anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was a special event for a major Simpson fan (this was when I would hate the people that said the show was bad and I would deny all the facts) like myself, and I still am glad about how I excited I was for the movie.

Okay, it wasn't the best movie in the world (the best movie in the world goes to The Wizard of Oz), but I enjoyed it and I think it was worth the hype...especially the "Kwik-E-Mart" publicity stunt.

The beginning was okay, I loved Lisa and her feisty attitude toward the pollution in the lake (I know D'ohmer will hate me for this). Marge was a little under-featured, but I liked her short appearances in the beginning; she was the only one that believed Grampa's religious epiphany and tried to figure out what it was.

At this time, I was still an avid Homer fan, so I really didn't pay attention to Marge. I loved Plopper, I consider the moments with Plopper were the funniest moments of the movie (besides the "So Long, Suckers!" joke). Although some say that they didn't enjoy Plopper and he was a complete waste to the movie, I disagree and say that he was one of the best things about the movie.

I think that the appearance (and subsequent death) by Green Day was pointless, as they could have just flashed to the family arriving to the church; but I digress.

Seeing Bart's penis instantly made me feel like I was a pedophile - even if it was just a cartoon. I'm not so sure what others felt, but I sure felt weird after I saw it - I laughed for a portion, but then I started to frown and think over if I should have laughed - I'm a nervous, worry-always person...

The best scenes in the movie were definitely the climax - Homer trying to get to Springfield after his family leaves him - this really touched me. I just loved the scene by Marge, I even started to tear up a bit. A wonderful performance by Julie Kavner, I completely applaud her for her performance.

I liked the ending, it was an okay ending to a great movie. I know that my opinions may be met with debate - many saying the movie was terrible - but I'll disagree and get on my way. I think the movie was great, it's surely not the best movie in the entire world (once again, this goes to The Wizard of Oz) but it was a great movie to a great series.

A+ - 5/5

I love this movie. I absolutely love it. If only the show could be as consistantly good as this movie was. 5/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Har!

Blog Entries

I loved the movie. A+ in my book. The concept was fresh, the comedy was good, and it was just an overall great movie. I cried when Marge decides to leave Homer, and when they played Close to You...it was sad. Awesome movie!

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

I hate the argument 'it was just a long episode'...what were you expecting? What else could it have been?

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
    I hate the argument 'it was just a long episode'...what were you expecting? What else could it have been?
    I completely agree; what was it supposed to be? A short film?
    Last edited by Little Nellie Kelly; 07-24-2010 at 01:44 PM.

it was a long shitty episode

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
    Thank you SO much for saying this. I couldn't agree more. It felt, to me, like a 5/5 episode extended.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

The fact is that this movie could never have lived up to everyone's expectations. Sure, after that first viewing, it felt a bit like there was something missing, something that was not delivered, but overall, it was still more than TV would have given us.
    I think the story was very well written, but went off in some weird directions. I guess the departure from the standard storylines was a bit jarring, and maybe lessened the enjoyment of the movie for some. The comedy was great, although a few gags didn't work. For the most part, they were brilliant, however. A few things were clearly done just because Fox wouldn't allow it on TV, but the nude Bart scene was still hilarious.
    Emotionally, it's probaly one of the greatest character pieces The Simpsons has ever produced. If you didn't feel anything after seeing Marge's video and the 'Close To You' musical sequence, then you're dead inside.
    Of course this movie could never equal what the show has given us over so many years, but simply judged on its own merits, it was a very good film.
    Another quick note: I worked in the local movie theatre at the time The Simpsons Movie came out. We had a part of the lobby decorated as the Simpsons living room. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    it sucked fucking shit bananas.

Stonecutter

I re watched this the other week for the first time in two years. When I first watched it I gave it 4.5/5. Since rewatching it I'd knock it down a bit. I think people are right about much of the stories being under developed or/and done before. The Bart/Ned relationship was good - but it was hardly cleared up. Homer needed to win him over more. The way he went out of his way for Marge took up a lot of film time. Why not for Bart? The Lisa subplot was possibly the worst. What was the point of it? The Homer/Marge plot was good (if not overdone) the Bart and Ned plot was good and fresh (if not unresolved) but the Lisa subplot felt like it was a Lisa subplot for the sake of needing to have Lisa time. Another problem with the film was that it didn't feel natural. Spiderpig and other gags and moments were clearly aimed around appealing to a wide audience. The Simpsons doesn't need to do that. It does that naturally - Spiderpig felt forced. The plot itself was hardly unique - it felt like a worse and dragged out version of Bart's Comet. The humour was another problem. It was rarely bad (a few pain jokes) but the problem was that was never as funny as the golden years. There were a good handful of excellent laugh out loud jokes - but they came too infrequently.

Having said it all this (!) - the movie had more plusses than faults. Characterizations were just as good the golden years. For me the Simpsons is built on character - not humour. You may say the two go hand in hand - but for me OFF can get away with weak humour as long as its characters are on form and it has a half decent plot. Homer was in good form. Ignorant, rude and selfish but he showed that deep down he did care. Marge was perfect. The wedding video scene was something straight out of the best episodes of the glory years. She was faultless. Bart was his great mischievous self – while again showing his soft side with Ned. Lisa was perhaps slightly off – but I think it was more of the fact she wasn’t centre stage and that we saw her with a boyfriend. I think we needed to see a more actively intelligent Lisa. Perhaps she could of helped Homer save Springfield. Instead we saw her punch Bart in the face! That said – she wasn’t at all bad and was genuinely fairly solid. Maggie was cute – but her saving Homer at the last minute was cheap writing. The plot – despite its under development and lack of freshness – was entertaining. I was never bored during the movie – it was tense, exciting and the animation was beautiful. And this alone somewhat crushes my main criticisms. Yes it was hardly unique – but it did entertain. Albert Brooks was also a highlight – both in character and in humour.

All in all – the movie was a success. Characterizations were near spot on, humour was somewhere between classic and modern episodes and the plot had the excitement of the classic episodes and the underdevelopment of the modern episodes. So I think in a nutshell this movie certaintly didn’t feel like a Season 10+ episode – but felt as though it had the trademarks of both classic and new episodes. I think it scrapes

4 STARS.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't rewatched it in years mainly cause I was waiting for a collector edition dvd or blu-ray that never came. I'm sure they'll finally release it the next day I decide to buy this version.

Anyway I kind of agree with your review, but I would say Homer's characterisation wasn't that perfect. It actually fluctuates during the movie. I really liked the part when he's trying to help but he instead activates the bomb. That's Homer for me.

In the first part of the movie he acts really strange. Like a combination of jerkass Homer with some odd side of him we don't see often. His conflict with Bart felt unnatural. The roof scenes were a little labored, as was Homer defeating Bart to skate naked. This leads to a very funny scene but Homer acts a little like Bart's teenager brother more than his father. When he forgets Bart's trousers I can't tell if he's being a jerk on purpose or that he just forgets. Either way it seems that he's quite conscious of Bart's embarrassment but he just doesn't care.

All these things felt very different to classic era or even the best episodes of Jean era. In his best characterisations Homer fails to be a good parent cause he doesn't know better but not because he's acting over the top and wacky in an almost deliberated way.This isn't like Brother From Another Planet at all, in which Homer is uncapable of remember his compromise to pick up Bart, but he doesn't intentionally force him to do wacky antics.

Another scene I found a little off is the one before the 'big emotional sequence', when he has that discussion with the family and then he came back expecting Marge is going to forgive him. I don't think I've seen him taking advantage of Marge's patience in such a deliberated way. Of course he tries to get away with little things, but he is not normally abusing of her understanding after a discussion.

In few words, I just didn't find Homer very likeable -or at all- in the first half of the movie. That may be intentional in order to understand Marge's POV, but I think they overdo it. We should sort of understand Homer's POV to some extent. Or if not, we should at least find him likeable, even when he's doing everything wrong.

The crowd scenes were also a little over the top, if we consider the crowd as a character. Like, they were really going to kill the whole family including Maggie? That's a bit too much. I can take Mr. Teeny attacking Maggie or even the crowd attacking the whole family , but actually trying to hang then all seems a little too much.

Finally the thing I less like about the movie is -like Veryjammy mentioned back in the day- how cookie cuter Hollywood is in some scenes. Homer having an epiphany and becoming 'good'...this feels more like Shrek to me. Normally Homer is a good guy who takes bad decissions and when he realises he has done wrong he doesn't magically become a better guy, he just tries to fix things the best way he can. The movie is very conservative in this aspect. First he does everything wrong and then he fixes everything. There are those little scenes when he activates the bomb, but other than that he basically does what an action hero would do. There is very little irony in that department. There is not a parade for an inanimated carbon bar, they don't end watching the FOX like zombies, the planes don't fly over the poors' houses, the Simpsons doesn't have money problems in Xmas even though they got the dog...everything just ends up almost perfectly for anybody, except Mr Burns. Even Lisa gets a boyfriend. The only line that feels ironic is when one of Flanders sons says "I wish Homer Simpson were my father". That feels like a parody of an action movie to have a kid saying something like that about the hero and it sounds ironic and jokey. Some scattered jokes aside, everything else in that climax look and sound like any other blockbuster movie.

I actually think Lisa is totally in character, even when she punches Bart. She had a good reason to do it, I think. It was some sort of reflect. She won't normally do that but I can't see her doing it in a moment of anger. Plus it makes for a pretty good joke.

They just gave her a completely pointless subplot. But the few times she talks or does something she's usually in character and she delivers some decent lines.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 07-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Banned

The Simpsons is one of the best TV shows of all times. It is a perfect mirror of the American culture and has many memorable moments that will always be remembered.

I don't know anybody who doesn't like this show, it's impossible not to be a fan of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookstone View Post
    The Simpsons is one of the best TV shows of all times. It is a perfect mirror of the American culture and has many memorable moments that will always be remembered.

I don't know anybody who doesn't like this show, it's impossible not to be a fan of it.
    Before someone else comes along and tells you this in a much ruder way; this particular topic is meant to be about the Simpsons movie.

Stonecutter

Fair points CN.

However - the crowd were not going to kill anybody apart from Homer. Remember the line "no we don't, we just want Homer". I forget the exact line before that.

As for Homer being out of character somewhat - you have a point - but I'd still argue he was good. I think what the film highlighted was that Homer had a lot of problems understanding common sense problems - E.G - the forgetting shorts. Homer has a lack of emotional awareness sometimes - but the scene where he offers Bart to hold the bomb showed that he did care. Remember, even if we go back to Saturday's of Thunder, Homer has a very selfish side. I agree that perhaps there could of been even more good Homer in the second half to balance out the first half - but that still doesn't mean he was out of character. I take your points though and accept that they wasn't 'perfect'.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney View Post
    Fair points CN.

However - the crowd were not going to kill anybody apart from Homer. Remember the line "no we don't, we just want Homer". I forget the exact line before that.
    Yeah, but we later see five ropes to hang them, including a baby size one. Not that the mob hadn't been pretty violent before, but I think they would usually retract in the last minute before killing a whole family and their children. Then again they wanted to kill Bart in The Tell-Tale Head.

And Homer can be selfish, but in the classic era I never wanted to punch him in the face. At least not several times during the same episode, with the possible exception of A Streetcar Called Marge. And sometimes he could be VERY selfish, but I found it relatable. His behaviour was more similar to when you are watching tv and your mom tells you to help with the dishes and you don't want to do it. Homer wouldn't give money to poor people cause he doesn't find any immediate reward in it, he'd even laugh at the people who gives them money. But probably if he knew the guy who's asking for money he would help him.

There has always been a combination of immatureness and selfishness in his behaviour but once they made it a little more over the top they just can't get it right again. They didn't get it right in the Scully era, they only get it right sometimes in Jean era (in which maybe sometimes he's even TOO good) and they didn't get it quite perfectly in the movie IMO, though he has good moments.

One of the times I've been embarassed to be a simpsons fan. Firstly, the bart being tied to a lampost joke wasn't just crude and sick it was also unfunny and childish. You knew straight from the start that the movie was going to be full of childish jokes, the only people laughing in the theatre were kids and parents .

The spider pig thing was just.... I can't put it into words. Watch any episode from seasons 2 to 9 and compare it to that. Its just an unfunny parody that has no link to the actual plot.

And the whole end scene with Bart and Homer saving the town was both cheesy and unrealistic . I know it wasn't supposed to be realistic - but come on!

Oh and theres the Homer and Marge breakup thing. Thats both unoriginal and out of place. The average simpsons fan nowadays isn't going to enjoy that - and I sure as hell ain't !

Basically the film was chock full of stupid, childish jokes and slapstick gags. All in all it was a commercialised load of bollocks made just to get more money. D-

person who looks like a thing Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, my review's gonna look pretty tiny next to some of yours, but I'd just like to say that I loved the movie. It was far, far better than anything from Season 11 onward. 5/5, if I had a complaint, it would be that Lisa's sub-story didn't really go anywhere, it was just another one of her crushes. I think there was more they could do with that. Also, "Thank you, boob lady!" was cringeworthy at best.
    Favourite/least favourite by seasons that I own (somewhat stolen from Financial Panther):

3 - Bart the Lover/When Flanders Failed 4 - Homer's Triple Bypass/So it's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5 - Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadassssss Song/Bart's Inner Child 6 - And Maggie Makes Three/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7 - Bart Sells His Soul/Homerpalooza 8 - Homer's Enemy/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9 - King of the Hill/Trash of the Titans 10 - Wild Barts Can't Be Broken/Make Room for Lisa

i thought it was an ok movie, but i wanted it to be funnier. plus, you could have found more memorable quotes from an earlier season episode than the whole movie

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodfella View Post
    One of the times I've been embarassed to be a simpsons fan. Firstly, the bart being tied to a lampost joke wasn't just crude and sick it was also unfunny and childish. You knew straight from the start that the movie was going to be full of childish jokes, the only people laughing in the theatre were kids and parents .

The spider pig thing was just.... I can't put it into words. Watch any episode from seasons 2 to 9 and compare it to that. Its just an unfunny parody that has no link to the actual plot.

And the whole end scene with Bart and Homer saving the town was both cheesy and unrealistic . I know it wasn't supposed to be realistic - but come on!

Oh and theres the Homer and Marge breakup thing. Thats both unoriginal and out of place. The average simpsons fan nowadays isn't going to enjoy that - and I sure as hell ain't !

Basically the film was chock full of stupid, childish jokes and slapstick gags. All in all it was a commercialised load of bollocks made just to get more money. D-
    The movie was rewritten over 150 times to make it appealing to ma and pa walmart. Had the movie been dependent on wit and satire, it would've made a lot less. Sadly, this generation of Simpsons fans (and the mainstream public) thinks the soul of the Simpsons is Homer being a complete dumbshit and the movie had to reflect those sentiments. The writers were more concerned about making Homer a retard than keeping certain traditions on the show alive, like using Milhouse as Lisa's boyfriend, but since the writers felt the general public didn't watch the show, it was easier to 'replace' Milhouse with Collin.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

But Milhouse has never been Lisa's boyfriend, and she fell for Colin because he was fighting for a similar cause as her (which I can't really see Milhouse doing).

I have always wanted a "Lisa Loves Milhouse" type episode though, as the 'House's crush on Lisa is one of my favorite runners of the series.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't get why people think Millhouse should have been with Lisa, seriously that's such a depressing failure on Lisa's part, she could do so much better. I'm not saying Colin was a good character or anything, but really Lisa & Millhouse having awkward pity sex together once as teenagers is about as much as I can believe for their characters.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Milhouse isn't really a failure of a kid or anything, though. He's somewhat wimpy but otherwise fairly average for a fourth-grader. Granted, Lisa's sort of out of his league right now but who's to say he couldn't clean up his act in the near future?

Thread Information