View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

57 19.19%
  • 4/5

96 32.32%
  • 3/5

74 24.92%
  • 2/5

46 15.49%
  • 1/5

24 8.08%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "You Kent Always Say What You Want" (JABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate & Review "You Kent Always Say What You Want" (JABF15)

On the way home from the dentist, the Simpsons stop for ice cream and when Homer purchases the 1-millionth ice cream cone, he is interviewed on Kent Brockman’s nightly news program "Smartline". However, the innocent interview turns into trouble when Brockman uses a shocking expletive, leading to Ned Flanders heading an anti-indecency campaign. Brockman moves in with the Simpson family and he and Lisa begin to devise a scheme for him to make his comeback.

wait... is that episode really over?

it was going to be a 4/5 and a great night for the simpsons.
    eh, still a 3/5 it was well written up until the abrupt ending. no closure, but funny

Hans McSplosion Zaphod Beeblebrox's Avatar

What a crazy ending.

gave it a 5/5. not as good as 24 minutes, but there were some great jokes in here that i really liked, and i'd easily put it after 24 minutes as the best of the season(although missed springfield up)

edit: i thought the end was really favorite, something different and it kept in theme with the episode's idea of censorship and fox bashing
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

Junior Camper

Bad News-More Fox jokes
    Good News:Actually funny Fox Jokes

The Apu sang a song line gets it a 3.5/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The 'stranger moves in with the family' plot, with slightly better jokes. Not very good overall because of too many run on jokes (like Krusty and Lindsey) and Kent's abrupt return was too quick.

Grade: 2/5.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

The second act was pretty terrible in terms of pacing and jokes, but it picked up okay in the third act. I'm split on the ending. Overall not bad.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

a very 'meh' follow up to 24 minutes...i was expecting something great for the 400th....they should have flipped the two around tonight.

2/5
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

Banned

Solid.

This conservative had a few good laughs.

5/5
    More later.

I know the episode made itself overly obvious, but I completely agree with the message. The pacing was very odd, though. Definately smelled of Tim Long. If the episode could have been more subtle and had better pacing, it probably would actually deserve the mark I'm giving it.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-07-2007 at 07:54 AM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

That was very odd. It felt like there should have been another act.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

3/5- The ending was fucking terrible but the rest was good.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

really good episode, if it wasn't for the ending, it might've been a 5/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Good points:
    I enjoyed the bizarre Raising Arizona tribute.
    Helen got the smack down two episodes in a row. Friggin’ hilarious.
    I wasn’t annoyed by the tooth cartoon, and thought they actually remembered to put in the irony (something they usually forget with those kinds of jokes).
    Having the cajones to make a very direct attack on the religious right.
    Directly ripping on Fox News.
    Actually tackling a real issue rather than taking a weak knee middle of the road position.

Meh points:
    Wow, Bart seemed especially sadistic to skinner. It seemed almost cruel.
    Dracula.

Bad points:
    Nelson qualified his “ha-ha!”.
    I laughed more at the Bruce Campbell Old Spice commercial than I did at most of the episode.
    Wasting an opportunity to bring back the sadistic (in a funny way) dentist from "Last Exit to Springfield".

This would normally be a 3/5, but the last act was somewhat daring and I liked that they actually had the guts to make a direct social/political statement; so I’ll up it to a 4/5.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

8/10. The ending was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show in years, and the rest was satisfactory.

Great job ending the season, Simpsons writers!

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Way too one-sided and blunt. Heavy-handed subject matter without any sort of subtlety. Hated the way they handled Ned. "Edited" ending was funny, but felt like it all wrapped up too soon.

Censorhip is a good subject for the show to tackle, but this one just didn't do it very well for me. I loved the beginning with Maggie's pictionary (and Marge's subsequent run home), but most of the other gags didn't work very well for me (Luda-crest vid was okay, "Apu sang us a song," and a few other lines made me smile).

Overall, I dunno...just way too bitter and non-subtle and totally unlike The Simpsons to me with the way they handled the subject matter. The intro Ullman short was easily the best part of the ep, IMO. Nevertheless, it had a decent premise and enough jokes to keep me entertained, and maybe I'm just on a 24 Minutes high right now (why wasn't THAT the 400th...?), but I'll be generous and give it a C-.

(edited to tweak the grade. The total lack of subtlety was cringeworthy to me...)
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 05-20-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Even though the ending was abrupt but I loved it. I thought it was highlarious. They took out a lot since the original cut. I don't know if you noticed but when Ludacris is yelling at the dentist he doesn't have a gun, but when he's walking away he's holding a gun. That's because he was waving a gun in the dentist's face in the original version and I guess they forgot to change that. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me, it's very subtle, but interesting.

The beginning was entirely different(theey weren't playing pictionary they were doing something else don't remember). They also took out some stuff on the tv and people burning an effegee of Kent. Lisa starts intelligently ranting about how people have done worse things and he should be forgiven. Mrs.Lovejoy replies with "the BAD MAN said a NAUGHTY". They took out a few other things too.

I loved this episode overall. My favorite jokes had to be the fox thing at the end and also the wall of casual aquaintences who came to stay for a while.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

Not bad at all. The 2nd act was poorly done pace-wise, but aside from that, I thought it worked pretty well. Humor-wise it was either jokes that worked or jokes that were ignorable, which was good. I know I'll probably be in the minority, but I enjoyed the ending quite a bit. It was a bit different, but I think that it worked.

4/5.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

That was the 400th? They really should've sticked with 24 Minutes for it...

It wasn't bad, but it felt really thrown-together and kinda dragging along to me... like, wow, it took a while to actually get to the main point of the plot, and gee, that wrapped up quickly. Liked Kent's last bits there, though.

Easily the best that were actually part of the episode (so not the Ullman intro) were "Apu sang us a song," and I liked Homer's freeze in mid-"Woohoo" as well. Really loved him in this one.

But yeah, it felt thrown together to me. The Fox stuff was generally awesome though (and yay! A House mention! That's the only dramatic show I watch!), so overall... I'm thinking 3.5/5, roudning up to a 4/5. I think it was just from coming off of 24 Minutes... I'll probably like this one more on my second viewing.

Analytically Distressed

I actually enjoyed the ending. True, I wasnt sure if it was actually over until I checked the clock, but it was definitely different, and sometimes different is good. Plus, the edited-over voices made me laugh.
    Overall, the episode was pretty humorous, and while I wouldn't say up to par with 24 minutes, still an above-average episode. My favorite gag was definitely the "Apu sang us a song" line, plus I also liked when Kent reported his own demotion.
    4/5
    You call this a signature? I'm trading mine in.

Oml i thought the episode was too short or at least that's how i felt it, haha, when the end joke was running i was oh ok, weird, there's still show to show, lol.

4/5
    "I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    Way too one-sided and blunt. Heavy-handed subject matter without any sort of subtlety. Hated the way they handled Ned.
    That was exactly what I liked about it. The actually took a stand instead of pussy-footing around the issue. I totally enjoyed the episode because of that. And I think they finally used the "new" Ned (post season 9 conservative Ned) in an effective way.

I suppose any episode that takes a stand like this will divide people.

On a personal note, I don't really think there are two sides to the issues brought up in the episode, so I don't think they were one-sided. :silly:

that was 22 minutes long?

C

Virgin Colada! *No Rum breadharrity's Avatar

I'm definitely going to be the only one here that has this opinion, but I like this one better than 24 Minutes slightly, but still both were great. I thought it didn't drag on and that the 1st act was just as good as the rest. 4/5

Junior Camper

This would've been so much better if they had somehow cut the first act, and added that time to the third act. I still liked it, but it definitely feels oddly unfinished.

Actually, this kind of sounds crazy, but since this episode didn't really have an ending, and there were rumors that the movie was going to continue a season 18 plot, and lead into season 19, could this have been their way of leading into the movie?

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

This was a somewhat okay episode. My only problems were that some of the jokes ran on, and the episode was too short, exactly the opposite of the previous episode. Otherwise it was good. I loved every member of the Flanders family, especially Ned's line when he was asked what he was doing. Every joke about Fox went over well. The scene at the dentist was done almost flawlessly, especially Ludicris (spelling?) showing up. I originally had it ranked higher than 24 Minutes, but now I'm reconsidering. 4 / 5

Quote Originally Posted by Timayd
    Bad News-More Fox jokes
    Good News:Actually funny Fox Jokes

The Apu sang a song line gets it a 3.5/5.
    Agreed.

There were some good moments, in particular the ending. I liked how they fleshed out Kent a bit, but there wasn't much to the plot and it should have been more even-handed, and the first act was totally wasted (it was a little funny, but the plot should have been developed more). There were enough jokes so that it wasn't a bad half hour, but it wasn't a particularly good one either. C+

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Pretty lame if you ask me. I was excited for the opportunity to develop Kent Brockman into a more three-dimensional character, but that wasn't really done at all; rather than add depth to Brockman, they instead just used him as a pawn in their usual brand of heavy-handed satire. The first act dragged and dragged, and the scene between Bart and Skinner was particularly weird and awkward; I like seeing Bart as his mischievous self, but only if he's going to be remotely clever instead of just slapping Skinner around and kicking him a few times. Also, we have so much build-up to the Republican party's big nefarious plan, and the best they come up with is... hiring Kent back? No wonder the Democrats took control of Congress. There was a lot of funny stuff here though; I loved the Wall of Acquaintaces joke, and Krusty doing the Itchy and Scratchy voices had me in hysterics. Sorry for the random mishmosh of thoughts, but if the writers can make their stories like this, why can't I make my reviews the same way? Grade: C-/D+
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

I was surprised to find this episode and 24 Minutes pretty equal quality-wise, and I loved the ending. I bet if I made a poll right now about everyone's favourite gag in the both episodes, the Sideshow Mel moments would win by a landslide. It was great to find out what everyone here has been complaining about regarding Sideshow Mel by watching these episodes. I also liked how they mentioned the ridiculousness of the fact that so many people had stayed with The Simpsons over the years...it was another moment that reminded me of NHC. Also, Dracula ruled.

P.S. In spite of its silliness, I couldn't help but find the opening bit from the Tracy Ullman shorts somehow poignant and touching. It had nothing to do with the episode, but I loved every second of it. This was just a lovely way of simultaneously showing us how far the show has come and how much simplistic, yet brilliant comedy its animation and writing contained from the start.
    Last edited by The Southern Dandy; 05-20-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Top Ten:
    1. "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"
    2. "Summer of 4 Ft. 2"
    3. "Lisa On Ice"
    4. "The Boy Who Knew Too Much"
    5. "Bart's Comet"
    6. "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song"
    7. "Bart Sells His Soul"
    8. "Homer at the Bat"
    9. "Krusty Gets Kancelled"
    10. "Lisa's Pony"

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.