View Poll Results: How do you rate Crook and Ladder?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Four Alarm

26 12.56%
  • 4/5 - Three Alarm

93 44.93%
  • 3/5 - Two Alarm

59 28.50%
  • 2/5 - Single Alarm

24 11.59%
  • 1/5 - False Alarm

5 2.42%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: "Crook and Ladder" (JABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate/Review: "Crook and Ladder" (JABF13)

Plot: Marge, following the advice of a parenting magazine, throws away Maggie's pacifier, leading to Maggie destroying the inside of the Simpson home. Marge decides to get Maggie a new pacifier, but can't find the right brand. Maggie finds her own substitute - a squeaky toy that leads to Homer being unable to sleep. He takes sleeping pills and starts sleepwalking. One of Homer's escapades leads to the entire Springfield Fire Department being sent to the hospital. As a result, Homer and several other Springfieldianites become volunteer firefighters.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 05-06-2007 at 04:38 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Review:
    Meh. More in the league of "Silly, Homer get's a job episode" variety Nothing really good, IMO, except the Maggie on the rampage.

Best joke: the "Breakfast face"

Grade: C

DYN:
    - Dangers of Oxygen: Pure Oxygen was thought to be benefical to babies over 30 years ago. "Oxygen Tents" were used on some newborns, but the Oxygen caused the babies retinas to harden and cause permenant blindness.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

great premise and story but kinda boggled up 3.5/5

best episode of the last 10 years...good job!

This was a pretty good Homer gets a job episode. There was some genuine conflict, and the characterizations were solid. There were a few good jokes, but nothing that is particularly memorable. Not a bad episode at all. B-

Although I'm not going "oh my God, what a masterpiece" I couldn't find too much wrong with this episode. A wholesome 4/5 (because lack of cringe-worthy anything, among other things). Pretty decent overall, and again I found Marge to be likeable. Nice use of the kids, as well. The Homer-Marge interaction seemed realistic and funny, which was good. The characters were definately solid.

EDIT: Something that makes an episode like this better is when they end it nicely. It just leaves a good taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 05-06-2007 at 04:46 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Banned

Great Episode.

Way to bounce back from last weeks crap fest!

gave it 4 out of 5, just b/c a few joke executions knocked it down to a 4.5 and i didn't wanna round up. really funny episode, with great marge stuff, and great use of side characters teaming up with homer. the sad eyes montage was also really funny imo
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

Loved it. Probably means everyone else will hate it.

Anyway, I loved Maggie's tantrum. The only thing I didn't like was the way they destoryed the fire department. A little too wacky, kinda lame. I thought everything else was great. Loved Moe and Apu throughout the whole episode.

"You have just been Apu-ed!"

Junior Camper

3.5/5, personally a fan of the Moe hero, and Moe villain cards.

Too many montages, and not that funny. The ending was nice though. 3.5/5 rounded down to 3.

"It's not stealing if it's fast"
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

A nice gag fest with some genuine laughs and few cringe-worthy lines. It's strange to say, but the Homer gets a new job plots have made for some of the best episodes this season. B[

A very middle of the road episode for me. I liked a lot of it, and had a few chuckles, and a few cringes.

Some of the good:
    The Simpsons own a VHS copy of “C.H.U.D.” Friggin’ awesome.
    Maggie being a brat was hilarious.
    I laughed at Burns landing in the power lines.
    Cosington didn’t do the stupid/annoying shaky cheek thing.
    Apu wielding the puppy at Skinner.

Some of the not so good:
    WTF is up with not establishing main plots in the first act. Ten minutes until the first mention of the fireman plot.
    The Flanders in the museum seemed strange.
    Lisa yelling Larry Flint over and over again.
    Homer's mood swings.

Not too many complaints this week, but not an entirely solid episode either. I’ll give it a 3.5/5, rounding down.
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 05-06-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    DYN:
    - Dangers of Oxygen: Pure Oxygen was thought to be benefical to babies over 30 years ago. "Oxygen Tents" were used on some newborns, but the Oxygen caused the babies retinas to harden and cause permenant blindness.
    Oh man, how far medical knowledge has come in such a short time.

It had a number of funny moments, like the eggs and bacon faces, "you just got Apu'd", the sleeping pill commercial, and others, but I thought the story was pretty weak overall. The fireman aspect wasn't even really introduced until the end of the first act, which is the type of thing I wish the show would do away with. As a result, the rest of the episode felt rushed to me (and to the writers too I think, with the jokes about "the first four people to volunteer", no training, and a bit of a rushed ending. The meta-humor was a bit too front and center for me, with Matt Groening's signature under the domino Homer, and "he acted completely in character". The "describe then demonstrate" humor reared its ugly head with that awful "mood swings" sequence. Still, the story was just uninteresting for me, which is where the episode lost its points mainly.

3/5
    Signature.

4.5/5

Was that a new sax solo in the somewhat full opening?

Anyways, excellent Act 1 with unruly Maggie. But once they started stealing, it went a bit downhill. But the ending was rather solid. So this episode gets a well-deserved B+.

Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings
    Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings! ...etc, etc. 5/5

Things were WAY too manic and random to me, and I agree with Tomacco in that the meta-humor is sort of dooming itself, like the writers use it as a block when they write something ridiculous, but it doesn't quite work when you do it many times in a row. It was odd to me that Apu went along with all of this. A lot of jokes were beaten into the ground (mood swings, Homer's stealing activites), the show had little focus, and ended on an odd note, with no lesson learned. This season's been very sparadic in quality; this is one of the worst this year.
    2/5

Certainly not a modern classic, but it was pretty decent anyway. Jokes were sort of hit or miss. There were a couple of extended jokes that got really old after a few seconds. The plot was sort of all over the place too. It was fairly enjoyable though. B-

Pin Pal

great story but not at all funny 3/5

I thought the first act was excellent, and that the episode had the potential to be an all-time classic. The commentary on the phenomenon of OTC drugs -- the advertising, the side effects, the addiction -- was as sharp as any I've ever seen on the show. I roared at the the "slip up" mention of Ambien in place of Nappien.

I was extremely disappointed that they abandoned this premise for the volunteer firefighter premise, because they could have done so much more with the OTC drug premise. It became a standard Homer Gets A Job episode, which I thought was a cop-out. Perhaps they originally wanted to get 22 minutes out of OTC and could only get seven? I don't know.

Some of the jokes in Acts 2 and 3 were good, such as the segway/segue joke and the "You've just been Apued!" line. I think there was too much self-referential humor (it's like too many sprinkles on an ice cream cone), although the "zombie montage" reference followed by the zombie montage (to Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein") was first-rate.

I give this episode a 4. The first act was enough to keep the overall grade high, and helped offset some audacious but convenient lapses of character (e.g., Homer mouthing the words "perpetrate my nocturnal mischief" without irony; Bart sending Homer on a guilt trip about stealing).

I forget what it was, but at one point I remember a character making a meta-reference. I believe it was Burns or Moe. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have I gone mad?

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    I forget what it was, but at one point I remember a character making a meta-reference. I believe it was Burns or Moe. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have I gone mad?
    Moe made that reference to Barny when they were all were saying they were going to volunteer for the fire department. Something like "I'll join, too". "Why did you say, 'too', Moe?"

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

There was also Moe referring to Burns - "How dare he act completely in character!" or something like that.

A few cringes, a bunch of grins, and a couple of laughs. I liked the episode overall, though as seems to be the norm, it slumped down a little in the third act. Though I felt that it had fairly nice progression, and it was nice seeing Homer being a hero again.

Moe and Apu were fantastic, though I was a little weirded out about Apu going along with the stealing thing so easily, and that Homer fell away from it before Apu did. And also the fact that none of them were caught as they were stealing in plain view until Marge and the kids came along...

It was still pretty good, though. Burns floating down and into the powerlines, the eggs on the faces as well as the nuclear power plant scene after that, and especially Maggie's tantrums. An enjoyable half-hour, 3.5/5 - rounding up to 4 'cause I still liked it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles Manson
    Moe made that reference to Barny when they were all were saying they were going to volunteer for the fire department. Something like "I'll join, too". "Why did you say, 'too', Moe?"
    I liked when Fireman Moe said Burns was acting in character :silly:

^
    ^
    Thanks, I didn't remember that one.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I have to admit, I really did not like the first act. The stuff with Maggie was pretty good and I really wish that it had been the focus of the entire plot, as opposed to just being in the first few minutes.

The worst joke was the mood swings bit, it seemed like a pointless waste of time.

However, the second and third act were a vast improvement and a lot of the fireman stuff was quite good.

Favourite part: the image of the Dominos forming Homer's head and Matt Groening at the bottom.

All in all: 3/5. Hopefully the next couple of episodes are better and we get a good end to the season.

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod
    Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings
    Mood Swings!
    Mood Swings! ...etc, etc. 5/5
    What would Gatorgod do without those smilies.

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

Everything the last two episodes did right, this one did wrong. The previous two got into the story quickly and gave you a well done subplot. This did neither. There were no run on jokes in the previous two like Homer's "mood swings." This episode seemed so short while the other two seemed so long.

Still, there were some good things. Moe's line about the clock that had been in his family for 40 seconds made me go nuts. Homer adjusting his work station so it would look like a smile was funny. Homer trying to have a conversation in the middle of a fire. They managed to throw in Mr. Costington without his horrible throat noise.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R
    What would Gatorgod do without those smilies.
    Use the "Standard Smilies"

Thread Information