View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

13 5.68%
  • 4/5

71 31.00%
  • 3/5

70 30.57%
  • 2/5

33 14.41%
  • 1/5

42 18.34%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "The Boys of Bummer" (JABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "The Boys of Bummer" (JABF11)

Bart is the city's hero when he makes the game-winning catch for the Springfield Isotots in the youth league semi-finals, only to become the goat when he makes the game-losing error in the final;
    When Homer is caught sleeping on a department store bed, his excuses help sell it, so he becomes a bed salesman.

4/5

The story was ok, but quite a few of the jokes were excellent. The kinds we haven't seen in years.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

OK, there was NO way that was Rough Draft. It had the look and feel of an Akom episode all the way.

Stunk, The Ending raised it to a 3/5

I really enjoyed this episode. It wasn't overly focused, but I still liked it a lot. There were some great funny parts; Ned's "oil-based" bit, Marge and her glasses, Burns' little "I'm missing the fun" bit, the cut-joke where it turns out Lovejoy had sawed the mattress sideways, Lisa telling Bart about how Homer burried it, and Wiggum yelling "jump," just to name a few. And Marge was really likeable (some have commented in recent R&R threads they found her annoying).

EDIT: Forgot to post grade, which is 4/5.

EDIT #2: I also forgot to mention they dealt with the subject matter wonderfully.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 04-29-2007 at 05:34 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Not too many laugh-out-loud moments really, but a really cohesive episode as a whole. No real tangeants, both stories in swing before the end of act 1. Good characterizations across the board, very solid idea for a third act (I thought the dragging out of the re-staged game was a nice touch). So, solid episode overall.
    Signature.

In Sane We Trust

3/5

Some pretty good jokes here amd there.

But the matress side story wasn't great.

HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY TO THE SIMPSONS!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

This was about at the terrible level of the early season 18 episodes. Very lame throughout; the only good joke I can remember is the instantly-revised protest sign.

D
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I can't remember the name, but I think it was directed by a new guy.

Not that great. The mattress subplot was pretty bad and the main plot was decent with some okay jokes, but overall it was nothing spectacular.

Overall: 2.5/5

spells Yale with a 6

the steve bartman references and homage was quite good, and it's nice to see harry actually vocing an episode he likes

mostly solid, some jokes went a little much but it was good
    about a 3.5 rounded up

Junior Camper

No great jokes but I sort of felt for Bart.
    3/5

Galalimit

First great episode of the season. I liked this one. B+

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    This was about at the terrible level of the early season 18 episodes. Very lame throughout; the only good joke I can remember is the instantly-revised protest sign.

D
    Yeah, that's the best joke, iMO, too.

This is a the 'typical' bland Jean episode. Nothing really bad, but nothing really good, or memorable either. The only other good scene was the baseball card signing event where Bart visits what's his name.

Too bad they didn't get Bill Buckner to guest star.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Virgin Colada! *No Rum breadharrity's Avatar

I would rate this a 4/5, not as great as the exceptional episodes this season, but very funny nonetheless.

Full Review coming later.

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    I can't remember the name, but I think it was directed by a new guy.
    Rob Oliver. He was previously a layout artist on the show.

3/5

The Steve Bartman reference was good and I laughed out loud at the grilled cheese sandwich line.

4/5

The Reverend Lovejoy subplot was much better. Once they decided to hold a "fake rematch" for Bart, it went downhill. Being a Red Sox fan and watching them suddenly slump at the end of last season, I felt pity for Bart. But the story lost its steam, like I said, once the fake rematch idea came into play.

"He died. Dad buried him in the backyard. But not in that order."

Michael Price writes another winner. 4/5

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

I guess it looks like I'm in the minority so far in the opinion, because I liked it for the most part. The humor was pretty decent throughout, with no real groan-worthy gags, just a few forgettable ones. I noticed that Chief Wiggum had a few decent gags going, and even Moe exposing himself worked well in context of the episode.

Story-wise, the A story worked despite being a little disappointing. I was hoping that it would play a tad more real, but they went for the overly jokey way of doing it, and that kind of undercut the emotion. The ending with the do-overs was fun.

The B-story with Homer and the Lovejoys was better than I expected, but still pretty dull. The worst thing in the episode had to be the Lovejoys suddenly making out on Homer and Marge's bed, which was exactly what I was hoping we wouldn't see in the episode.

Overall, I guess I'd have to go with 3.5/5.

best joke

he died. dad buried him in the backyard...but not in that order

funniest quote

I keep telling you ghost sex means nothing!
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

Pretty bland 3/5.

On the other hand, the first act of the re-run, "Jazzy..." is fantastic. It's a pity that episode didn't shape up too well in the end.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

What was the bit with Helen Lovejoy moving the mattress around a parody of? That was pretty decent. I think the first 2 acts were pretty good, but the third act really pulled it down

I loved this one. Weird that I couldn't stand last weeks and everyone else thought it was great. Much of this one made me laugh. The funniest scene for me was Helen picking up Rev Lovejoy and putting him on top of the car/ mattress. I didn't feel that any of the jokes were too bad at all. The only thing I really disliked was the ending with Milhouse and Bart as old folks and Marge and Homer as ghosts. That came off pretty lame to me.

Approves this Message The Space Pope's Avatar

Not very engaging. Not many great jokes and too far between. The Lovejoy subplot was the highlight of the episode. My fear was that this plot would be too explicit but they handled it nicely. Overall, I just didn't feel very entertained. 2.5/5
    Crocodylus Pontifex

If our actions dictate the quality of the Simpson's episode we watch, then I was entertained as well as I deserved to be. Willie kept his naughty hands busy with knitting and Homer wanted ghost sex. Karma works once again.
    I gives it a 5/5

I'd just like to say how it's stupid that they can't actually show Bart's butt anymore. But the direction was good enough that you didn't really notice it was intentionally being avoided at that part.

Analytically Distressed

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. There were a bunch of jokes I found quite humorous, my favorites being the Burns in the crowd bit and the buried bunny. I also enjoyed Helen's mattress-carrying escapade and the stretched-out segment of Bart trying to catch the ball (the Charlie Brown reference made me chuckle).
    I thought both plots were pretty entertaining as a whole. 4/5
    You call this a signature? I'm trading mine in.

Raggin' On Your Cord

I liked the idea for the A story and it was well done, (even though, as always I didn't laugh once) but the B story was the stupidest thing I ever saw. I also thought it was cute when Marge put her glasses on.

I actually didn't find this episode to be absolutely horrible just not great, which makes it one of the best episodes this season.

D+
    2/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    I'd just like to say how it's stupid that they can't actually show Bart's butt anymore. But the direction was good enough that you didn't really notice it was intentionally being avoided at that part.
    I'm sure we'll get both cheeky barrels on 7/27/07.

If I say I'm excited to see 'it', I'm a pedophile.

If i say I'm not excited, I'm not a "true fan!".

I'm conflicted.

^^moeistheirleader, a 2/5 is an F, just so you know. It is not a D+.

^No need to specify, we all know you're a true fan Jake... filthy pedophile, Jake. :silly:

Thread Information