View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

20 7.87%
  • 4/5

59 23.23%
  • 3/5

85 33.46%
  • 2/5

57 22.44%
  • 1/5

33 12.99%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Rome-old and Juli-eh" (JABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate & Review "Rome-old and Juli-eh" (JABF08)

The court appoints an accountant for Homer when he incorrectly files for bankruptcy, which results in his cutting back on all of his expenses, including Grampas nursing home. In an unexpected turn of events, Grampa and Selma fall in love and move in together, and Homer and Patty plot to break up their love connection. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa con a delivery man into giving them the most sought-after commodity in the neighborhood cardboard boxes. Their alliance is put to the test when the delivery man realizes he was duped.

Uhh... I dunno what to make of all that just yet.

?/5

(Although I think it'll get panned here from most)

PS: Did the animation get really weird at points, or was it my imagination?
    Signature.

awful awful awful main plot, hilarious side plot, and homer stayed pretty funny, although his character changed views quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by chagopian
    awful awful awful main plot, hilarious side plot, and homer stayed pretty funny, although his character changed views quickly.
    I think, if anything, this episode could have done without the subplot. The main plot needed more attention IMO. I can't wait to hear everyone complain about the dragon though. Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    I think, if anything, this episode could have done without the subplot. The main plot needed more attention IMO.
    to be fair, i never said the subplot was needed, I said it was hilarious. I agree, it doesn't really fit in with the episode, but the Helm's Deep seqeunce I thought was brilliant, it was great, hilarious, and for the first time in a while, it had Bart and Lisa doing something together.

A huge nod to Calvin and Hobbes for me.

Nascar delayed this for most people. Reviews should be pouring in riiiight abboooooout.....now.

The subplot was amazing.

What epic movie was the battle a parody of specifically? Too wacky of an episode for my tastes. Hank did a great job with his side characters, my only laugh at loud moment was the fall down the stairs at the beginning (cheap I know). I did like the implied joke that Selma married Bob twice and Homer's images of Marge when trying to excite himself. 2/5 Too disconjointed and random, poor premises to start with. Cheers.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

What was up with the animation??? anyone else notice its inconsistency and odd nature?

Anyway..terrible, terrible main story. I'm talking kill the alligator and run terrible. The Bart/Lisa story was very very entertaining. I loved the whole battle scene. The main story was so bad I can't even imagine how this episodes even came about.

Side plot was excellent, main plot was pretty dull with a few good jokes thrown in. The birds swelling and exploding was a groaner and felt Family Guyish, but Homer's reaction and response was excellent and saved the joke. Overall, the episode was kind of all over the place. After writing this, I wish I could change my vote to a 3.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

4/5
    Wow, that was really different. I think overall it was great and I can't wait for a re-watch. Anywhom, that plot was dealt with fabulously.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 03-24-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

People I was watching with directly connected it with Helm's Deep, but I can see it being a parody of many different epic films.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I can't wait to hear everyone complain about the dragon though. Hahah
    Are you kidding me? The Dragon was hilarious! The moment when they cut to it was well timed and was the first time I laughed out loud at a Simpsons episode in quite some time.

The battle was EASILY the best part of the episode, I love the Lord of the Rings and it was great to finally see a visual reference to it.

The main plot on the other hand... When I saw Moe, I was praying he would have a cell phone. The part where Homer was imagining Patty as Marge was decent.

And is it just me, or was Wiseguy's voice off, and I don't mean in the part where it was intentional?

The subplot saved the episode from getting a 1/5. In the end, I give it a 2/5. It's too bad that such a great subplot was attached to such a crappy episode.

A pleasant surprise. I really liked it. Hilarious ending.

4.5/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Subplot: 4/5
    Main Plot: 2/5

I pretended the subplot was the main plot and all was more enjoyable.

Overall: 3/5

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

The moan homer makes towards the beginning in the court scene was awful. An unbearable sound like nails on a chalk board.

Semlas lips looked longer and the scene where Homer was walking and Patti came to him with her idea looked different with respect to background color.

i wish that the subplot was the main plot cause the main plot sucked and the subplot was one of the funniest in this season. The animation seemed wierd at times i think they should have paid more time on it.The last part with homer was really funny though all in all id give this one a 3.5/5

I liked the subplot a lot more than the plot. I think it could have been better developed but the real problem was the plot itself. There were some nice scenes at the beginning and Grandpa was sympathetic and funny, but the plot didn’t really do anything for me. I would have preferred the episode if they had done a little more with the subplot, the ending petered out more than I liked. But I loved the flying Nazgul creature even though it was out of place on the Simpsons. C

The main plot could have been far worse; definitely not as bad as what was expected, in my opinion. It still had problems, however, but given how ridiculous the idea was to begin with, I doubt they could have been avoided. The subplot was excellent, however I thought the battle sequence was overdone (they really didn't need that dragon). There were quite a few good jokes (most notably the ending), but in the grand scheme of things, this was just a typical season 17-18 Jean episode. And there definitely were animation issues.

Grade: C

Homer as Zorro was decent, but the ending was awesome. Got the second biggest laugh where I was, behind the LOTR sequence.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

3/5.

Better than expected, but still not amazing. Grandpa and Selma's relationship was a lot less forced than I figured it would be, but it was still forced a bit. Luckily, with one exception, they stayed away from sex jokes about old people and kept it in somewhat good taste.

Patty and Homer's scheme wasn't as interesting as expected, although I admit I chuckled at Patty thinking about Mrs. Krabbappal.

I loved Bart and Lisa's plot, though. Really fun and silly, and I loved the ending because it was so perfectly kidlike. As for the dragon, I thought it was funny, but I know everyone is going to hate it. It reminded me of the giant spider in "Duffless" in a way.

Humor wise, there weren't a whole lot of clunkers, but there weren't a whole lot of laugh-out-loud moments either. It was mediocre, which is better than I expected it to be with the plot it had. I know I'll be in the minority in thinking that, though.

Yeah the animation in this one wasn't its best. There were some moments when the character models got off-model, and going from frame-to-frame wasn't exactly the smoothest due to that. The weird thing is, this was a Rough Draft episode, right? Usually they're pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Are you kidding me? The Dragon was hilarious! The moment when they cut to it was well timed and was the first time I laughed out loud at a Simpsons episode in quite some time.

The battle was EASILY the best part of the episode, I love the Lord of the Rings and it was great to finally see a visual reference to it.
    I totally agree

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

BTW, who wrote and who directed?

I forgot about Homer's moan... Terrible. GOod to see Constance Harm back though.

The main plot sucked except for grandpa screwing up in the kitchen and the kid friendly war stories, but it's remarkable that they got any humor out of such a lame plot. The b-story was absurdly hilarious. 3.5/5, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    BTW, who wrote and who directed?

I forgot about Homer's moan... Terrible. GOod to see Constance Harm back though.
    Writer: Daniel Chun; Director: Nancy Kruse

Is it just me or does Daniel Chun like to do relationship episodes?

Approves this Message The Space Pope's Avatar

I really didn't care for the main plot very much. The Patty thing has been played out before. This is also the second time that grandpa tries to get it on with a Bouvier. The subplot was totally outlandish and I loved it. The shot at the end with the dragon impaled on a cardboard tube was great. Homer was also pretty funny. I thought that the episode may have been funnier if they followed the initial plot of fixing the Simpson's expenses. 1000 a month at the wishing well, and three subscriptions to vanity fair? 3/5
    Crocodylus Pontifex

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Huh...they pulled it off. I dunno how, but they pulled it off.

It wasn't without it's problems--I find it hard to believe that Homer would be that willing to kiss another woman (and Patty no less), regardless of the cause, and a lot of the time, I didn't feel that there was much chemistry between Abe and Selma (more of a "last chance" sort of thing).

But you know, I didn't mind too much. The story, surprisingly, lacked any cringeworthy gags or scenes (I was worried there'd be some sort of tacky old/ugly sexual innuendo throughout), and even had a small amount of heart throughout. To provide some examples, I really liked Abe's little relationship with Ling (side note to writers, thanks for not having Ling disappear completely. Some continuity is rather nice), and the way he treated Selma was rather charming--calling her young, saying he was "sweet on her," and sharing a little dance at the end. In fact, Abe was in fine form throughout the episode--a surprisingly gentle and funny, if senile, old guy that wanted one last chance at love.

I really enjoyed Bart and Lisa working together once again, in a rather inspired cardboard box adventure that had it's share of little touches (such as the worker yelping when the back of the truck closed on his hand, and the cardboard tube in the dragon's chest). And Homer had his moments as well, particularly his reaction to the whole ordeal and his sexy roleplaying at the end. Oh, and the "Flintstoning the car" was a big laugh for me.

Not too much to complain about here, surprisingly, considering how worried I was about the premise going in. Yeah, Selma marrying again is a bit of a tired concept, and the third act moved a tad quickly with some spotty pacing, but they handled a crazy wedding where something happens a doo doo do doo doo pretty well, overall.

Is it just me, or is S18 slowly improving? 4/5, B

EDIT: Reflecting a bit more on the showing, the main plot was still a bit too "out there" in many spots for me, and Grampa's on-the-spot proposal was way too quick (proposing to Patty was funny though). So yeah, back to a B. But still good.
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 03-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

3.5/5 Rounded down to a 3/5

Good but not great and definately above average for Jean-era episodes. It had some really good parts and some really aweful parts.

I do feel Season 18 is shaping up better than Season 17 though.

Thread Information