View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

124 46.79%
  • 4/5

85 32.08%
  • 3/5

31 11.70%
  • 2/5

21 7.92%
  • 1/5

4 1.51%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Springfield Up" (JABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Mad without power

I just did something I haven't done in over a year. No, it wasn't pirate an episode because I missed it earlier, because that's something I've done plenty of times in the past year. Rather, I actually clicked the 5/5 option on a Rate/Review thread for a new episode.

Season 18 has proven to be even more mediocre than Season 17, and the JABF run has thus far been the worst of it. Yet when I finished watching this episode, my exact thoughts were...HOT DAMN, that was actually fantastic. These types of "gimmick" episodes are often times very refreshing from the standard recycled garbage plots that plague many other episodes, as proven by episodes like TSNES and Behind the Laughter (Though I think BTL is overrated to hell and back, different as it was). Yet it wasn't just the fact that it was different that made this such a good episode.

The episode was able to transition from entirely documentaries to an actual plot relatively nicely. There were no pacing problems whatsoever. We got some nice insight on numerous characters. The origin of Disco Stu was a riot, considering how there's no way you could have seen it coming. In other words, it was the proper way to do a "screw-the-audience" joke. Also, while Declan Desmond's appearance in "Fat Man and Little Boy" felt entirely pointless, it was used well here. However, he's ran his run by this point. He went out with a nice bang, no use whoring him out further.

Most of the jokes were pretty good. Well above the Jean norm. For once I actually laughed at the Crazy Cat Lady. Loved the hounds gag, the entire Wiggum documentary, the gag with the knives, and again, Disco Stu. Only a few jokes were flat, and the only one that really made me cringe was Smithers in the clock. There were also some slight outburts reminiscent of jerkass Homer, but nothing episode-ruining. Really, the same minor types of drawbacks that TSNES had.

A-

Best of the season, first A-range ep since TSNES. Season 18, that's now TWO episodes so far that I would consider "really good". Get another one, and you won't wind up being worse than Season 11.
    Last edited by Corkus; 02-18-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Wow, not one single 1/5. I've never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man
    Thanks.
    And if you still wanna know what other episodes he wrote:

Three Gays of the Condo
    Co-Dependent's Day
    The Father, The Son and the Holy Guest Star
    Please Homer Don't Hammer 'Em
    Moe N'A'Lisa

I think theres a few others but I cannot remember them right now.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Yes, the link provided that information...

Get another one, and you won't wind up being worse than Season 11.
    Right on brother. 8-)
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

yay an episode that might actually be a classic.

A-
    Season 25 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Raggin' On Your Cord

Well, it was one of the better episodes of the season and there were very few objectionable jokes (except for the Smithers clock one)The plot was also very interesting and it was nice to look into the backgrounds of some of these characters, however it wasn't funny. Once again I didn't laugh once, the best joke was the "devastating edit", but it wasn't good enough to warrant a laugh.

3/5.

Stonecutter

Matt Warburton wrote it. Well I didn't expect I'd see his writing credit again this Season. That's 3 episodes now. Which means 1/4 of the Season so far, has been written by him! Not as much as Vitti and Swartzwelder however. They had 1/3rd of Season 13's writing credit's between them!

I can't wait to see this episode. And with Micheal Price and J. Stewert Burns writing credits to come, things are looking up!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Not as much as Vitti and Swartzwelder however. They had 1/3rd of Season 13's writing credit's between them!
    Actually Warburton has written more...Vitti and Swartzwelder each had 1/6 of the season 13 episodes.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Stonecutter

I'm talking about between them.

Well both of his previous episodes were holdovers so it wasn't unlikely he'd write another one soon.

What's your point then? "He wrote 1/4 of the episodes...though it should be noted that he hasn't been able to keep up with the number of episodes two prolific writers wrote combined per season."...?

Seems odd is all

Stonecutter

Oh no nothing like that. I was simply stating he's wrote a lot this Season. And whilst I was on the subject I thought I'd mention the Vitti/Swartzwelder record.

I mentioned Price/Burns just to add a positive contribution. I guess it was kind of a pointless and confusing post. I suppose it was aimed at being seen as a interesting fact and a postive read and that was it. Sorry for the confusion.

Pageant of the Transmundane Homerpalooza's Avatar

4/5 a good episode.

That's what I've been waiting for.
    It's about time. I thoroghly enjoyed the episode, and even laughed outloud at a few points.

One nit-pick (because I always have to say something bad), I wish they had not put Moe in with the rest of the subjects. Moe is of the generation between Homer and Grandpa. That's only a tiny nit-pick though. I enjoyed the rest of the episode so much, that it's not going to take from the final score.

I was worried. That last few "flash back" or "future look" episodes I did not like very much.

All in all, a good night for Faux.
    I enjoyed all 4 shows...even American Dad.

5/5
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Watched the episode for a 2nd time, and wow, I had forgotten how non-stop funny this episode actually was. There are a number of great lines and moments that I forgot about, like Homer running from Declan repeatedly, 8-year-old Homer trying to look at the camera, "I'll buy a basketball team and a football team and I'll get them to play baseball", and Homer's line, "you can put horse raddish on your dead grandmother for all I care".
    Signature.

Here's a question I have: So, did Homer actually invent the condiment pen? Because even if he was pretending to be rich, he could've marketed it and become rich.

Junior Camper

I really liked this episode, lots of funny parts, one of the best of the season.
    I liked the origins of the cat-lady and disco Stew; that was well done.

Also, the new Simpson’s movie trailer was the best so far…it actually got me excited about the movie (not that I wasn’t before of course).
    And the re-run right before the new episode (The Haw-Hawed Couple) was another excellent episode of the season.

All together, a very good night for The Simpsons.
    A+, 5/5

Wow, I have to say the Simpsons writers must be feeling pretty great right now. They just aired two new episodes in the last two weeks that almost everyone loved(even though I wasn't a big fan of Little Big Girl like everyone else), and they just revealed the first trailer, which very, very few people disliked. If I was a Simpsons writer right now, I would feel pretty damn good about myself. Keep it up, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Yeah mine was 19:50 too, I think there must be a minute or so missing somewhere because Tomacco said Homer's rock song went on too long but there was a callback to Carl in the time machine and the knives? I didn't have that in the version I downloaded.
    Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about either. I'm watching my download now and it's exactly the same as the one that aired last night. The only Homer rock song was young Homer's one man band in the first act, I never saw young Carl again, and the knives falling out of Homer only happened once, so I don't know what "callback" there was.

like kissin' a peanut

I liked last week's episode, but this one was a little disappointing. Not bad, but a little bland. SU was really a character-centered episode, but it seemed to be centered around the characters in a self-indulgent way. I'm a little sick of the "The Simpsons characters as children reflect what will happen to them later in life!" jokes, and the narration by Idle's character was surprisingly unfunny and forced at times. But so I don't piss all over SU, I have to say it featured the only funny use of the cat lady since her introduction, as well as some great interplay between Burns and Smithers that wasn't limited to gay jokes. I know Jean has his problems with Shearer, but Burns and Smithers should really be in more episodes.

I'll give it a 3/5 for being a little bland, but avoiding many of the pitfalls of the modern Simpsons. And was there not a single pop-montage to be seen?

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about either. I'm watching my download now and it's exactly the same as the one that aired last night. The only Homer rock song was young Homer's one man band in the first act, I never saw young Carl again, and the knives falling out of Homer only happened once, so I don't know what "callback" there was.
    Glad I'm not the only one confused. I read his post and then went back to my recording to see if I could find Carl, but no luck. What's the deal, Tomacco? Whereabouts in the episode is the stuff you mentioned supposed to happen?

Hey, wait... perhaps the episode was slightly shortened to make room for the trailer during the break and individual affiliates were given the option to use the full version of the ep or a teensy bit shorter one?

Hey, wait... perhaps the episode was slightly shortened to make room for the trailer during the break and individual affiliates were given the option to use the full version of the ep or a teensy bit shorter one?
    That makes sense. I downloaded a second version and it was 19:49

Galalimit

The full version Tomacco was talking about DID air on Global.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

^It looks like a couple minutes at the end got cut from the U.S version to make room for the trailer. Canada didn't get the trailer, and so that part aired here.

I'll spoiler it just in case people want to try and track it down for themselves:

After Homer and Marge hug, Homer says "Hey, is that a mixing board? I want to lay down a few tracks for my demo tape. When you see me in eight years, I'll be the world's richest rock star!" He then picks up a guitar and starts singing a song called "Satan, You're My Lady." While he's singing and jumping around, a knife falls out of his pocket. Then in the corner of the room, Carl briefly appears and disappears in the time machine. Then Declan starts singing backup "shoobie doobies", which Homer doesn't appreciate. He starts trying to sing the actual lyrics along with Homer, but in the end, Homer says "Don't quit your day job." 

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

1/5 from me. i don't know how i am so far off from everyone else...but i was just plain bored. the stories jumped around so fast in the first act they didn't have time to be funny. and the whole living in burns house? its been done, why do it again?

smithers in the clock was pretty funny. "the next thing we knew mr. smithers was tied up in a grandfather clock"

overall a real bleh...the movie trailer was way better than the episode in my eyes.
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

and the whole living in burns house? its been done, why do it again?
    That really bothered you? The context was completely different, don't you agree?

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the 'house always wins
    1/5 from me.
    Wow, someone brave enough to vote 1/5. Very impressive, but odd.

This was a really good episode, but just not fun enough to be the best of the season. But second best (behind Haw-Hawed Couple) isn't that bad.

I loved the whole plot premise of filming them every 8 years, and everyone's story, no matter how crazy or unbelievable, it was fun. The only part that made it less great than it could have been was the Simpsons pretending to be millionaries and living in Mr. Burns' summer house. Although, it was a set-up for a very good ending (story-wise). I give it B+ and 4/5.
    Notoriety for whatever reason, never seems to benefit the noted, only the 'notees'

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Thanks for clearing that up, Larson. That bit actually sounds quite good.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Yeah, I was wondering what people were talking about with the song at the end. I thought I had just missed it or had forgotten it. Now it makes sense because that trailer was pretty long and the first commercial break where I am was really long too. It seems strange that they shortened the episode to allow for more advertising, but I guess FOX wants to make as much money as possible.

And I'm actually sad to see someone vote 1/5. Almost 100 votes without one.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    Thanks for clearing that up, Larson. That bit actually sounds quite good.
    Although it seems to negate the positive comments people have had about the episode ending on a sweet note.

Thread Information