View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Jessica Lovejoy

64 26.34%
  • 4/5 - Laura Powers

101 41.56%
  • 3/5 - Gina Vendetti

43 17.70%
  • 2/5 - Greta Wolfcastle

21 8.64%
  • 1/5 - Sherri + Terri

14 5.76%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Little Big Girl" (JABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Little Big Girl" (JABF04)

When Lisa struggles to find excitement and intrigue in her family heritage for a school presentation, she decides to take creative license in crafting her heritage as a Native American, since its only for a school project. What begins as an innocent embellishment quickly turns into a web of lies when Lisa is chosen to represent the school, and her people, at City Hall, and then as a keynote speaker for the National Native American Tribal Council. As a reward for his heroic act, Bart is granted a drivers license, and in an attempt to escape endless family errands and chauffeuring he flees to a faraway town where he is romanced by an older teenage girl, Darcy (guest voice Natalie Portman) whose expectations may prove to be too much for Bart.

pretty good really

carl and lenny brothers?

that one was incredible...

finally, a decent episode from S18

5/5
    Heckling a Puppet show.

5/5
    It had a very original feel to it, and seemed classic. A trophy for season eighteen! Now we know the "Now Leaving Springfield" signs are going to be seen in the future. First there was Milhouse, now Nelson... who's next? A lot of jokes hit, and the pace was pretty good.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 07-22-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Banned

Great episode! 5.

Loved the whole start of the fire with CLetus....

Oh, and did anyone notice the animation of Lisa running through the door?

Galalimit

FINALLY! A decent episode. The first good episode of the season. C+

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Just as overly complicated as Blunder Years, and almost as entertaining. The first act was very dry and "off" but by the third act it was fun in a weird way. Huge laugh: Bart trying to kick the girl's dad. B/B-
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Barts story was pretty effed up, Lisa's story was realy good though, they should have focused more on Lisas story and went into more detail with it. The whole thing with bart being issued a lisnece realy seemed like they were digging deep for story ideas, and it was way to out there for my tastes.
    Mediocre episode 3/5

The Great Frisco Freak-Out Good-Time Slim's Avatar

2/5. It sucked. The writing was all over the place. It would be good if it was an episode of an improv sitcom, but this crap was actually written by someone. The episode had terrible structure with a stupid and unfunny ending

I gave it a 2 because the Mr. Burns looking at the camera gag was hilarious, as was the "Pfft, what are you - gay?" delivery by the Mormon preacher. That's it

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

I thought this was a pretty good episode. It moved too fast from event to event but had alot of classic references and the scene with Bart driving the car through the opening sequence was very entertaining. They packed alot of show into that episode and Homer played a very good secondary role in this episode.

Junior Camper

I'm surprised at all the 5/5's so far. I thought it was terrible. Especially the first act. I hated the Burns joke.

5/5 Very funny episode.

The Chunnel's gonna blow!

Wow, I'm impressed. Don Payne usually writes pretty good episodes, so I was expecting it to be above average. Even though it kind of seemed like the plot was all over the place it times, the good writing and entertaining jokes more than made up for it.

4/5 - B+/A-
    Season 18 Grades
    The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer: C+
    Jazzy and the Pussycats: D-
    Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em...: F
    Treehouse of Horror XVII: C-
    G.I. D'oh: B-
    Moe 'N' A Lisa: B
    Ice Cream of Margie (With the Light Blue Hair): B
    The Haw-Hawed Couple: B
    Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2: C
    The Wife Aquatic: N/A
    Revenge is a Dish Best Served Three Times: C
    Little Big Girl: A-
    Springfield Up: A-
    Yokel Chords: B
    Rome-old and Juli-eh: C-
    Homerazzi: B
    Marge Gamer: B-
    The Boys of Bummer: B
    Crook and Ladder: C-
    Stop Or My Dog Will Shoot!: C-
    24 Minutes: A-
    You Kent Always Say What You Want: C

Season Rankings
    4>7>3>8>6>5>2>9>1>10>15>13>14>12>18>11>17>16

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

I was geniuely surprised. Bart's insanely innapropriate storyline was delt with with a very original childlike viewpoint. It had this Calvin & Hobbes sort of inaccurate vision of how adults act. Lisa's subplot was basically filler, but didn't get stupid, so that'll do for a pass these days. A couple groaners (the first scene had some foreced sitcomy staging. Burns' vaudeville reaction to Smithers' line was pretty dumb too.), but nothing that detracted from the plot.

Some brilliant scenes. The entire fire scene was pretty damn classic. I also loved Bart's visit to the paradise that is North Havenbrook.

4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode remeinded me of Lisa trying to pass off her heritige--forced and grasping. And I know teens are 'stereotypically' stupid, but a 16yr old girl believing/liking a 10yr old boy is too far fetched.

Not really a 'bad' episode, just to unbelievable to get into.

Oddly, that ringtone Homer gave to Bart was the ringtone I had on my last phone (it creeped me out) and I know it's the first few bars to an actual classical song.

2/5

(on a side note, King of the Hill is already funnier than all of tonight's episode.)
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 02-11-2007 at 05:43 PM.

The first act was great, but the story sort of deteriorated after that. I liked Grandpa's meta joke and the entire fire sequence. The Flammable District and "that's where Ma works" was hilarious. I liked Bart's prank with the fire extinguishers and how he ended up stopping the fire. The whole sequence with the fire starting was funny, especially with the eagle who caught the other eagle. Despite being a really good first act, it did have a joke that made be groan: Smithers saying he was flaming and the look Mr. Burns gave to the camera. I'm also glad they had a dream sequence where Bart imagined the wishes, but Bart already had a drivers license once before. Using the corn curtains for the Indian grab and Hitachi as the name was clever, but I really had a lot of trouble caring for anything that was happening to Lisa. Her actions are usually a bit more justified.

The Hippie Hulk was funny in the second act, but I don't remember much else. The whole Darci storyline was a little weak. The whole pregnant and married thing was a bit out of no where. I think they should have tried to do something where Bart and Darci actually grew to love each other and Bart had trouble dealing with the fact that he was too young. It would have a lot more emotional value. Instead, it was just a bit wacky and Darci was annoying.

The best joke of the night was where Lisa revealed she was lying and we saw a split second of a man dressed in the same outfit. Harry's Indian voice didn't sound like an Indian at all, but the cheekbone joke was funny. The church scene was pretty funny. Passing the baby off as a twin, Bart trying to kick the dad and the "What, are you gay?" jokes were funny.

All around, there were a lot of funny jokes but what could have been two great emotional stories turned out to not work out as well as it could have. Both ideas could have been one episode, and they could've used time to make the emotion a bit better. I agree with Jake though, it was a bit hard to get into because of the unbelievability. Also, the voice acting was horrible to listen to, especially with so much Bart dialog. The voice Nancy is doing is really starting to annoying me. Homer's stupid whisper was also prominent again. The dialouge was either: cheesy/forced lines that weren't jokes used to further the story or you knew it was supposed to be a joke. And I think the episode may have had the stupidest beginning ever. They are all sitting in the room and Lisa explains that Multicultural Day is tomorrow. -_-
    Last edited by Desperado; 02-11-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    [RIGHT]

Junior Camper

I really liked the episode. The whole Bart with a license thing was funny, especially homer getting drunk and calling him to come and get him. Also the sign
    "Now Leaving Springfield : Birthplace of Nelson Muntz"

Lastly was nice to see North Haverbrook and Ogdonville (sp) brought back!

I give it a 4/5
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

very good! best homer in ages. funny throughout

blah blah hugga bugga

5/5 well done episode.

I think lately Yeardly had been the strongest voice actor, especialy in this episode

I really didn't like the first act whatsoever. It had way too many odd wacky gags that didn't really work and was all over the place. The entire Lisa subplot was also just flat out boring, nothing interesting happened. It got better and more focus after that though; the jokes finally calmed down.

I actually really liked The Smithers/Burns joke. The "I'm two midgets in a costume" was hilarious.

It's like swallowing Draino

Pretty good, I guess, but some aspects of Bart's plot were a little iffy. A 16 year old falling for a 10 year old? Give me a break. It was well-written, I guess (with the obligatory corny parts), but the "flaming" joke involving Mr. Burns and Smithers made me want to throttle the writers. But, enough of my characteristic defense of Burnsie, that's a non-issue. Overall, some decent entertainment for my Sunday, but nothing great.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

I didn't care for the way the Smithers "flaming" joke played out but I cant help but think it might be a reference to something (the way burns reacted).

The whole fire starting scene was halarious. I enjoyed getting another look at North Havenbrook as well.

My only complaint was the speed of this episode. It just moved way to fast and didn't have good transitions. As I said early too much story into one show it seemed. But nonetheless it was a very good episode.

A- for now although I'd like to see it again as I was slightly busy with homework while watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie V. Scrivello
    Pretty good, I guess, but some aspects of Bart's plot were a little iffy. A 16 year old falling for a 10 year old? Give me a break. It was well-written, I guess (with the obligatory corny parts), but the "flaming" joke involving Mr. Burns and Smithers made me want to throttle the writers. But, enough of my characteristic defense of Burnsie, that's a non-issue. Overall, some decent entertainment for my Sunday, but nothing great.

3/5
    I don't think she really fell for Bart. She was more or less using him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie V. Scrivello
    A 16 year old falling for a 10 year old? Give me a break.
    A ten year old getting a pet elephant? Give me a break.

I am not someone who likes to criticize others' opinions, but aren't you guys all forgetting something? Sure, for once we got a funny episode, which has been very rare this season. But the plot of the episode was so horribly underdeveloped. The name of this episode was Little Big Girl, and Lisa had all of what, three scenes? This part of the story had no point, and when Lisa finally admitted she was making it all up, my reaction was, "yeah, and?" There have been subplots more developed than this in previous episode, and the title alludes to it being the main plot. I felt no empathy for Lisa because the story was not fleshed out at all. It didn't even wrap-around and serve a purpose in Bart's story, which made it effectively useless.

The problem with Bart's story is it was underdeveloped too because Lisa's story filled up extra time that could have been used fleshing out this story. The sudden decision to go to Utah was when they could have just said that North Haverbrook or Springfield had corrupt churchs that would let a 10 year old marry without parental consent. Then they pulled a typical Jean Era copout ending, which made it even worse. It seemed like there was absolutely no structure to this episode. The should have used of the stories and given itself an entire story instead of smashing them together.

On top of that, there was a rare occurance in that the direction was not top notch. Sure, there were some beautiful shots, but tons of characters looked off-model in this episode.

I am really losing all hope for this season. When an episode finally comes along that has funny gags, it has to have a poorly constructed, underdeveloped story to ruin it because Jean wants to set a new record for crappiest season ever. Humor can only take an episode so far.

Rating: 4.5/10

Edit: Afer a rewatch, i guess humor makes up for more of the grade, even though this wasn't really hysterical. All my points still stand, however I guess I was being a bit unreasonably harsh with 3.5.
    Last edited by Snack Related Mishap; 02-13-2007 at 03:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Blog Entries

A lot of people projected this episode to be B- material... but the writers begged to differ.

Let me talk about the flaws first-16 yrs old girl (I'm 16, and I can tell 17yrs olds and 16 yrs old guys) cannot tell Bart's 10 yrs old-which is very unrealistic. Other than that, it's the funniest episode of this season.

Unlike the most episodes of this season, the first act looked kind of off, but the third act was good compared to other episodes. Hell, this might be best one of this season. (I need to re-watch 'Haw-Hawed Couple' again) The parody of original intro involving Bart's new car. Homer calling Bart for 'matter of life and death' really got me laughing (and I've seen the clip in FOX.com). The plot wasn't as perfect (Lisa's plot was good, but Bart's plot was meh-ish), but great humor covered it. Natalie Portman did a good job on her voice for Darcy too.

4.5/5, B+

P.S.: I think Greta Wolfcastle > Gina Vendetti

Conclusion: Some girls can stay thin despite being pregnant!

P.S.S. I may need to re-watch it. If I change my mind, I might review it again
    calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by AcidLake
    Conclusion: Some girls can stay thin despite being pregnant!
    Conclusion: Some girls don't show at the beginning of their pregnancy! Wait... make that all girls.

Alot of people are complaining about the smithers Flaming Joke
    I loved it, it was like Burns is just first entertaining the idea that smithers might be gay. And I especialy liked that Burns was washing his car. Such and average guy type thing to do. I love that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    Conclusion: Some girls don't show at the beginning of their pregnancy! Wait... make that all girls.
    Well I know they are supposed to be thin at the beginning of their pregnancy though... just trying to be funny here, coltonwiggum :silly:

Thread Information