View Poll Results: What would you rate JABF03?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

31 12.40%
  • 4/5

73 29.20%
  • 3/5

76 30.40%
  • 2/5

50 20.00%
  • 1/5

20 8.00%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review The Wife Aquatic

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review The Wife Aquatic

While watching a home movie, Marge becomes depressed as she is reminded of memorable childhood vacations spent at Barnacle Bay. Hating to see Marge sad, Homer and the kids take her on a surprise trip to the bay, only to discover that it has turned into a rundown mess due to the absence of fish. Meanwhile, Homer is forced to work on a fishing vessel that's threatened by a huge storm. Homer and the kids lovingly give the boardwalk a whole new makeover for Marge. But when Homer accidentally lights the renovated carousal on fire, stirring up an angry mob of townspeople, more than just waves come crashing down...

Preview/Speculation Thread

Thread opens as always after the episode airs.

5/5
    I was utterly shocked on viewing this. Fantastic! I liked it more than The Haw-Hawed Couple. One of the things that made this episode so good for me was the balance between characters in the family being almost perfect (excluding Maggie, for obvious reasons). Another thing I should point out is that it seemed very fresh. Let's keep more of this coming! JABF might just turn out better than expected. The animation was great, especially on the third act. The episode felt special, and different. The overall feeling was really good. BTW some nice things were; cutaway to Moe, all of the new characters, only one gag going on too long (down from almost all), SNBII waving bye, little bodies floating up in global warming simulation, music.
    There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on this episode.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 01-07-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Meh, it was something. Not something very good, but I was expecting nothing.

3/5

4/5

This episode really felt different, somehow. Not a whole lot of jokes, but there was some good ones there. I think the only one I didn't like was Homer jumping back into the water.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

It's like swallowing Draino

Uh..the animation was nice.

The rest of the episode? Lame sporadically with an explosion of lame at the end. I'm feeling too bummed out to post a long review.

2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Junior Camper

i was not a fan, aside from jimbo's description of radishes

Banned

That was a damn good episode.

5/5

I have a list of great jokes, but when Homer was clubbing the Yum Yum Fish, I about lost it.

I loved Homer's explanation of how he was rescued, that made the episode for me.

3/5

This was a good episode up until the last line of the episode. The whole episode was rather punchy, but Lisa's line was a big downer.

What's the name of the man? Gorilla's Choice's Avatar

I liked it. They could have added a few more jokes though. They used A LOT of cgi animation, more than usual. 4/5
    "Only it's not coins or peppermints they find...it's your willy, Bruce!"

4/5 I liked this episode. The ending was ok.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, this episode wasn't funny, but it was interesting enough that it didn't need too many jokes to pad it along. And the animation during the storm was some of the best I've seen on the series. The only downer was the atmosphere of dullness in some of the slower bits, but it wasn't S17 bad.

Anyway, I'd say 3/5 is fair. (C+)

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Who did Maurice La Marche play?

Anyway, not a good episode, but certainly not a bad episode. Too many gags that ran on too long, ie. the fireworks thing, the old videos, Flanders' monologue sounded so NON-Flanders that it was annoying. The last act was pretty good, and the part where fisherman were posing next to Homer was the highlight.

3/5.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

The thing is... just too much "beat you over the head" writing. I mean. "yum yum" fish? Are you serious? Lisa - "This is not what I wanted" Worst, most drawn out ending since the directors cut of Army of Darkness. Also, I didn't like how Homer included fantasy digressions within his flashback. It just didn't feel right. They should have just shown the scene as it was.

Too bad though, because there were some great classic fakeout gags in the first two acts, and the plot moved along quite well. Homer and Bart were pretty great through the whole ep...

- So are the Van Houten's back together or not?
    - Was a bit confused about the state of the island. First it was a total dump, then they had rather presentable patrons, then they had a nice church...

Nice..........sorta

See, I just can't criticize 'The Simpsons' very well. But, none the less, 'twas slightly less awesome than most. Pretty sweet with the art, how it was 3D............ish. There should have been more of Atlantis. And more Flanders.
    4/5

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

1/5

candidate for my personal worst episode ever list.
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by the 'house always wins
    1/5

candidate for my personal worst episode ever list.
    Huh. Candidate for my best ever list... seriously. Well, not really, but it was GOOD!
    Do you have an explanation for this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    Huh. Candidate for my best ever list... seriously. Well, not really, but it was GOOD!

QFT

But what is the Question?

I'd give it 3/5

I liked the island's theme music, the animation, and a few of the jokes. Marge discovering Bart's death by seeing his picture at the funeral was hilarious. But the episode seemed to be unable to decide if it was going to be an emotionally-based episode centered on Marge, or a Homer-has-a-wacky-adventure episode.

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    just didn't find it funny. i personally don't like the computer animation...they just used too much of it. i don't think there was a single joke that prompted a laugh from me.

yum yum fish? weak.

comic book guy's jokes are so stale i just expect him to say something lame now as soon as i see him.

the only joke that was at all funny was the global warming display at the museum.

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

The only thing that, to me, looked like it might have been CG animation was the boat rocking.

Can we add explosions? DDshoeshowz's Avatar

I've never been on the first page for an episode review so I'll give a short thought on it now and expand it later.

Episode for me was a 4/5.

..I know, it's annoying when people do that but what the hey.

Not the fisherman telling Lisa she should marry Milhouse?

There were a few jokes that fell flat, and Homer burning down the carousel leading to him going on the fishing boat felt a little arbitrary. Still, there was a lot to like here. Everyone was in character, there were a number of laugh-out-loud moments, and the direction was some of the best we've seen in years. 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    - So are the Van Houten's back together or not?
    Looks like that's going to be along the lines of Barney's sobriety.

Blog Entries

3/5. Very middle-of-the-road for me. Good jokes, good story... No real complaints. My favorite joke was the "Yes, I know about Milhouse!" one. I like it when they throw a little bit of absurdity into the characters.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

3/5.

The story was executed a lot better than expected. But still, I didn't like how the Marge story was completely dropped for the Homer plot. It felt like 2 seperate episodes. Also, that ending felt so tacked on, and the funeral was unneccessary.

Humor-wise, with the exception of Homer hitting the fish, nothing really stood out as being horrible. The joke ratio in the episode was extremely low, but still most of them were pretty good.

Good things: The animation was spectacular. Also, the dialogue was a lot better in some spots. There were still a good number of Jean-style lines like Flanders at the beginning and Yum-Yum Fish, but they seem to be getting a little better. Also, Marge wasn't nearly as annoying as she has been lately. Even her voice has gotten better.

5/5 despite having a no-joke environmental message at the end, The sobering reminder of our fragile planet and our constant abuse of it resources is still a good idea for a entertaining Simpson episode.
    No sea capt McAllister's? Anything nautical and I expect to see him make a cameo, but out of all Springfield's denizens we got Moe instead,..

1/5

Fucking horrendous. Really. This was embarrassingly bad. There were about 2 good jokes in the whole thing, and the plot was a series of stupid coincidences. Characterizations sucked. Homer murdering fish is not funny. Lisa's moral issues with the fishing was stupid and the resolution was lazy and uninspired. Worst piece of shit to be churned out in a long time.

I'll say more when I re-watch at 11:00. Can't wait for RMIII's post!

Pretty good story, sloppy execution. I didn't like how bart just showed up, they could have at least showed hime sneaking on the boat or somthing. The part with moe and the guys at the bar was realy funny. This episode had a real nostalgic feel to it, wich is great.
    i gave it a 3

Thread Information