View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - ANDY WILLIAMS!!

107 40.23%
  • 4/5 - There's, uh, niceness to it.

115 43.23%
  • 3/5 - I can think of at last 2 things wrong with that title

26 9.77%
  • 2/5 - It's Polly-Wolly crappy.

14 5.26%
  • 1/5 - You made me bleed my own blood

4 1.50%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "The Haw-Hawed Couple" (JABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "The Haw-Hawed Couple" (JABF02)

After Bart convinces all his friends not to go to Nelsons birthday party, Marge forces him to attend. After the party, Bart becomes Nelson's new best friend and under Nelson's protection no one dares to mess with Bart. There's only drawback to his newfound friend/bodyguard; he can no longer pal around with Milhouse. So when the bully catches him on an illicit rendezvous with Millhouse, Bart begins to fear for his safety." Meanwhile, Homer find a hobbie. It's reading Lisa's Fantasy books. Homer reads Lisa to sleep and debates on whether to reveal the book's sad ending to her.

5/5 There were some good parodies in there, and lots of great humour. Every character was done [relatively ]very well. I really enjoyed the writing for Homer, Marge, and (especially) Lisa. Overall a very enjoyable episode, with a sweet ending. --Chasfh reminded me (the post is on the next page) about the little b-word bit. That got a chuckle out of me, and I liked how they didn't make it overly obvious, but still let even the knumb-skulls know what was meant.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 06-28-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

That episode was excellent until the part where Skinner gave Bart CPR. Easily the best episode of the season.

Homer and Lisa's sub-plot was excellent. I was worried that they would get too silly or would waste too much time on trivial things, but it was executed perfectly.

4.5/5. The ending of the Bart/Nelson plot pulled it down.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

5/5 without a doubt. I have many good things to say about this ep.

It reminded me of something straight out of season 8. An easy relatable plot with very well done modern day influences. I still think tha this season will be dissipointing, though, just that they have their best stuff at the top of the line.

The introduction was clever and quite funny, but sort of pointless (It didn't even indirectly lead into the main plot, like most random introductions do.) Also, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing Homer and Marge go at it like horny teenagers.

I can't tell if it liked the faggot joke or if it "led us by the hand too much." I can't help but think in older eps they would have expected us to understand that Martin means the other kind of faggot. Still I laughed because it was classic Martin. Classic everyone! Lisa was actually acting like an 8 year old! Homer was being dopey and bi-polar. Marge was being lame even while strict.

I thought the awkwardness of Nelson's party was done much better than the devices used in the episode Gervais penned. It felt much more natural, and I loved how Bart and Nelson's relationship grew through bullying techniques.

There are still a few season 17 kinks in the ep, most notably "I AM GULLIBLY EXPLAINING THE CONFLICT!" dialogue. Lisa did it when Homer was faced with his conflict, Nelson did it a bit too with Bart.

I thought the Harry Potter thing was perfect. I never thought of how many hearts parents had to break when (you know the meme).

I don't think I need to say how awesome the Goodfellas scene was. I've never seen Brokeback, so I don't know how much was parody. But I did take notice on how "gay" their relationship appeared to be. I thought it was funny, givin Nelson's insane emotional state.

The author's dog made me laugh so loud, I didn't even hear what he spoke.

Was "blue and red - the colors of friendship." supposed to be a joke where the person is obviously wrong? When I think of blue and red I think of waring teams in Halo.

Great fakeout joke with Grandpa. I love how his voice waivers when he says "They're brave because they're strong."

Homer's ending was quite brilliant. They've somehow managed to combine retard Homer with sensible Homer.

I got Futurama flashbacks from Homer's cruddy dialogue, but it was really funny and in character.

Ralph with a starfish on his face! Great background gag. Also, scuba tank, Skinner's "never woke up" fakeout. The sequence was a bit contrived, but the gags were clever, and it wasn't a cop-out ending at all.

The layout on Bart's room changes with he goes over to the vest. The window moves to behind his back.

Horray for a great episode for once!
    Last edited by That Jerk; 12-11-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Galalimit

Deleted. Sorry.
    Last edited by Galalimit; 12-10-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Galalimit, why the 1/5? It'd be nice to hear why you feel this way instead of just guessing. Why did you feel it was so terrible? Why is it a pile of garbage that you have absolutely no interest in?
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 12-10-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Eh, 3.5/5. Will post full review if not feeling lazy.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Galalimit

Deleted. Sorry.
    Last edited by Galalimit; 12-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries

If you ask me, I'm giving this episode above-average grade because of very solid sub-plot. We may've not seen much of the new production line yet (wait, this is the first one), but it's off to a good start. (Only thing that I didn't like about the animation is that Nelson looks fatter than the classic era)
    Plot was good, but I didn't like octopus snatching the oxygen tank away from Bart and an idea of person almost dying from drowning has become familiar to me since 'Homer's Paternity Coot' (pure unrealistic. That pulled the episode down). That's the only flaw of the plot for me. Sub-plot was great (Homer/Lisa) as the writer did a good job on Homer's characterization on his loving child. There were some good lines ("Milk is from cow wang")

4.5/5
    calmer than you are

5/5 or A. A great way to enter the JABF series! I liked the opening and the subplot reminded me of Harry Potter. Although it didn't have a strong ending, I have a really good feeling about the new production line. Worthy of being called a classic.

Great episode tonight. The faggot part was hilarious.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Will you please piss off already. It's bad enough you bugged me about this in PM's, now you're doing it here. Please fuck off. I don't have to answer to you or explain anything to you.
    Well, if your going to give an otherwise praised episode a 1/5, you should at least be ready to give a small explanation.

Unless, of course, you didn't see it...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Galalimit
    Will you please piss off already. It's bad enough you bugged me about this in PM's, now you're doing it here. Please fuck off. I don't have to answer to you or explain anything to you.

I really liked that a lot, best in recent memory. There were a few weak jokes in act 1, but eh. It felt sweet, without any cynicism.

A-

An alright episode. Few laugh-worthy jokes, but there wasn't any real bad ones either. Loved the Brokeback ending though. 3/5
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Dude, calm the fuck down, he was just curious.

Anyway, I don't really know what there was I didn't like about this episode. I guess it felt a little slow at points, but overall this was definately the best episode of the season. It really shows that it was written by Matt Selman as he seems like the most talented member on the staff these days. The last one I enjoyed as much as this was probably the seemingly neverending story, and that was have way through last season. If this production code shows the quality of this episode throughout(which I'm almost positive it won't), then I will be appeased. Here's hoping.

9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

2/5 C-

Bleh. I laughed geniunely only once the entire episode. New Production line? So what? This episode sucked balls. :angry: They are quite aways away from good. Not a whole lot of cringeworthy jokes but this was boring, uninspired and forced throughout. And who saw a little jerkass Marge?

They could have done without the stupid Homer B-plot and built on the Nelson A-plot. But that's Jean-era laziness for ya. ;-/

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Unless, of course, you didn't see it...
    Oh my.
    I always love when they end with something over the credits. Its nice because they can end with a gag yet still have a sweet ending because the over the credits stuff doesn't really count... if that makes any sense.

your name will be cosmos

Awesome episode. Had some great humor in it and well played parodies. the end credits with Homer crying over Graystache was the icing on the cake for a great episode. This season is getting a lot better and i think its one of the best in a long time.

"HAHA!! I touched your heart!"
    Season 18 Grades:

The Mook, The Chef, The Wife and her Homer: B
    Jazzy and the Pussycats: B-
    Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em: B+
    THOH XVII: A-
    G.I. (Do'h!): B-
    Moe'N'a Lisa: A
    Ice Cream of Margie: A
    Haw-Hawed Couple: A+

LOL Awesome!

I give this very high marks. The plots worked together nicely and they had clever and interesting endings. Nelson's last comment that he touched Bart's heart was a great combination of humor and emotion.

A new Classic episode! Funny and entertaining! I just added a Nelson Vest to my Santa's wish list. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to light a candle for Prof Graystache
    Last edited by Gatorgod; 12-10-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

One word: Awesome. It felt like nothing this season, which is what made it so great. Maybe it's too soon after, but I think this may be the best Nelson episode.

5/5
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I wonder if there will be any "(Whatever his name was) kills Greystash" YTMNDs tomorrow.

Galalimit

Deleted. Sorry, I was just angry. My bad.
    Last edited by Galalimit; 12-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

4/5...more milhouse and it could have been a 5.

best of the season...hands down.
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Looks like Carolyn Omine only a consultant now (only three exectutive producers in the beginning credits). And Chris Clements is the director. Looks like someone new, the only new name.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very good, but not quite uber classic.

4/5

Marge bonked the kids with a little bit of wood, even what you call "Jerkass Marge" was a character who showed a laughable amount of restraint. Not out of character at all.

Why is season 16 the example of "pro Jean bias"? If there were any at all, wouldn't it have been in seasons 13-14?

Agree completely with you man. Sadly though, it looks like were the only ones who see this though.

Unfortunately, it looks like the board is reverting back to the "Pro Jean Bias" bullshit that went on here in season 16. Oh man, here we go again
    At least he actually gave some sort of reasoning for his rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P.
    Looks like Carolyn Omine only a consultant now (only three exectutive producers in the beginning credits). And Chris Clements is the director. Looks like someone new, the only new name.
    Actually he also directed Season 14's "Dude, Where's My Ranch".
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Thread Information