View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 "DAMMIT!!"

23 9.91%
  • 4/5 "DAMMIT!!"

62 26.72%
  • 3/5 "DAMMIT!!"

73 31.47%
  • 2/5 "DAMMIT!!"

42 18.10%
  • 1/5 "I'm gonna need a hacksaw."

32 13.79%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "G. I. (Annoyed Grunt)" (HABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "G. I. (Annoyed Grunt)" (HABF21)

After Bart gets out of a commitment to join the Army at 18, Homer falls prey to a couple of Army recruiters and lands himself in basic training. Homer, of course, treats this like summer camp and infuriates his hard-nosed colonel (Kiefer Sutherland) when he is unfazed by the constant hazing and humiliation. Homer is assigned as the enemy of the Armys war games, but when the war games get out of hand and Springfield becomes the battlefield, Homer and the Springfield community must join forces before the city goes up in smoke.

2/5
    Disappointing. Although, I had expected Cletus to be horrible, but he was good. And the other thing I liked was that one army recuiter, who had several good lines. But everything else was dumb. Marge's voice sounded very stressed/forced and annoying. To summarize, there was good humour and great potential, but the plot fell apart.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 11-13-2006 at 05:36 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

it was ok, but not really as great as it could have been, and the whole hellicopter thing got old fast

oh yeah and why was canada robbed of the trailer, i hope its online soon

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Good:

"Even the Army have Hum-Vees!"
    "Not that Clinton!"

The bad:

Pretty much everything else.

Grade: D+

As for the movie trailer: Wuzzle-Wozzle....?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Virgin Colada! *No Rum breadharrity's Avatar

meh, great opening, somewhat funny story, good segues, crappy ending,

3/5, stay tuned for an all new episode of American Dad

Galalimit

Global didn't air the movie trailer, can someone explain it or post it?

That was pretty bad. I honestly think that whole chopper chase through the house was one of the worse sequences I've ever seen in the Simpsons.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

The Galaxy of Terror (Dont worry, its just a name)

true- very meh

3/5
    Drink Happy Family Brand Bourbon!!!

formerly shutupa yo face moneychair2003's Avatar

3/5. first 2 acts were pretty good, but the 3rd was awful. the helicopter chase was awful.
    Check out my NFL blog. I write articles about every upcoming match, my predictions for those matches, what games are worth watching, and about everything else happening in the NFL. http://backbayfuturesportsmanagers.com/

http://www.reddit.com/user/ac519/

Previously promoted helicopter scene was the best part of the episode, by far. I can't really remember any other jokes from the episode really, which is sad because it just ended 3 minutes ago. I think there were some okay parts.

One thing I did notice was that this episode had the worst case of "pointing out the joke/obvious" I might have ever seen.
    Signature.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

first impressions review - Hoping this doesn't turn out to be a vapid gag fest. Here goes nothing...

couch - clever one, once again. Sad to say the most memorable thing about the season 17 production s the couch gags. They're really god.

--------------------

act one - haha, Squeeky voiced teen should be known as Mr. Freedman for now on.
    hahaha, the marines knight!

Ok so far. Sometimes they take gags too far (rock and roll marines, monkey heads). Other than that, good stuff. I wonder what the deal with the headstones was....

---------------------

act two - "even the army has humvees now!"
    "AGH! AMERICANS!"
    (great lines so far)

....oh god, here comes the sanctioned "wacky part".....

----------------------

movie trailer - Great of them to slam at CGI movies again, but crap from there. Oh wow, a out-of-context Homer pain gag. That should win over the hardcore fans...

-----------------------

act three - ok. gag fest, but not exactly vapid. While it was a crazy chain-of-events, it stayed within the logic established at the top of the episode. The gags were good. Smart ending. And I love book endings that take you back to the starting point of the plot.

I AM PLEASED!

FOUR OUT OF FIVE

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

i actually thought it was the best episode of this season so far... 3.5/5

the trailer was a major let down though
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueguy
    That was pretty bad. I honestly think that whole chopper chase through the house was one of the worse sequences I've ever seen in the Simpsons.
    It was pretty...cringeworthy, yet it was a parody of the Loony Toons cartoon. Not that it was a bad idea to parody LTs, but it went on much too long.

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    One thing I did notice was that this episode had the worst case of "pointing out the joke/obvious" I might have ever seen.
    Yeah, I definitely noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    It was pretty...cringeworthy, yet it was a parody of the Loony Toons cartoon. Not that it was a bad idea to parody LTs, but it went on much too long.
    I thought that was the best part of the episode.

formerly shutupa yo face moneychair2003's Avatar

the helicopter chase just went on for too long. it should've been alot shorter.

The Chunnel's gonna blow!

Wow, I'm surprised that this episode is getting mostly lukewarm reviews. I thought it was definitely the best of the season so far. Although a couple jokes went on a little too long, such as Krusty's fur accessories, this was a really enjoyable episode for me, and actually made me laugh out loud a couple times. I give it a 4/5.
    Season 18 Grades
    The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer: C+
    Jazzy and the Pussycats: D-
    Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em...: F
    Treehouse of Horror XVII: C-
    G.I. D'oh: B-
    Moe 'N' A Lisa: B
    Ice Cream of Margie (With the Light Blue Hair): B
    The Haw-Hawed Couple: B
    Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2: C
    The Wife Aquatic: N/A
    Revenge is a Dish Best Served Three Times: C
    Little Big Girl: A-
    Springfield Up: A-
    Yokel Chords: B
    Rome-old and Juli-eh: C-
    Homerazzi: B
    Marge Gamer: B-
    The Boys of Bummer: B
    Crook and Ladder: C-
    Stop Or My Dog Will Shoot!: C-
    24 Minutes: A-
    You Kent Always Say What You Want: C

Season Rankings
    4>7>3>8>6>5>2>9>1>10>15>13>14>12>18>11>17>16

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Looney Toons gag was much better than the awful awful fur gag at the beginning.

ONCE AGAIN, Tons of gags that went on too long. Moe's darting eyes was funny, but they didn't need to put all of those excuses in there.

I thought the ending was good, some laughs sprinkled in there as well. But overall, I thought the episode was poorly paced. It also didn't seem to know what angle it wanted to take on the Army. There seemed to be about five different commentaries, none of which came to the fore, except possibly in the 3rd act with the town fighting back.

Probably around a 3/5. I probably rated this around the same level as THoH, so about tied for second of the season (Please Homer... being the season's top ep, SIGH).
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Junior Camper

Nice use of Martika's "Toy Soldiers" during the training sequence.

Why did the "That's All Folks!" bit use the Three Stooges music at the end?

Not bad overall, but a couple of jokes went on too long.

I thought the chase scene was very well paced. It was like a sort of joke where you tell a crowd and the people who are smart get it early and start laughing, and soon enough it sinks in to the rest of the crowd and gets everyone into it. Also it kept upping the ante with each gag, so the people who got it straight off the bat had new material to laugh at.

The first act was hilarious, but it all went downhill from there. The third act especially was just a complete mess. It had a couple good jokes spread throughout acts 2 and 3 but the plot just completely collapsed under its own weight, what with the focus shifting every ten seconds and all.
    I'm sad to say I was very unimpressed with tonight's episode. It was one of the worst ones I've seen in a long time.
    D+

And the movie trailer for me was a letdown. The way they were hyping it, I thought it was actually going to be a more full-length trailer with some great cinematic music and a lot of small shots of the film. Instead, like the last teaser "announcement" trailer, it was basically just Homer. But I do admit the opening with the 3D animation was really cool and a nice touch. It's not that it was a bad trailer, it was just that I got my hopes up too much for it.
    [SIZE=1]

I enjoyed it, probably the best episode of the season, even though that's not saying much.

Longer review later

Oh, and the fur joke? Fucking awful.

B-

At some point during the second half of the episode I kind of lost track of what was even going on. The characters were all so rash, which made for really sudden and kind of weakly motivated plot turns (Homer's joining the army in the first place).

Pin Pal

Ok. But not that good.

The military school video where the fighter plane chased and blew-up the Iraqi and Jason was pretty funny.

The looney toon-esqe chase with Homer and the plane was sorta humorous at first, but when on a tad bit long, which then became annoying.

Superintendent Chalmers bit about "Balding" was funny.

Other than those scenes, it stunk. (3/5 overall).

Oh yeah... the movie trailer was better than I expected. Moe killing the rabbit was Hilarious! Pretty much anything involving Moe is almost a guaranteed laugh. Hope the movie turns out well.
    Last edited by Simpsonite; 11-12-2006 at 05:59 PM.

The first two acts were fun. Fell apart in the third act. I enjoyed the Full Metal Jacket parody as well as the recruitment video at the school. And as I recall, there were a few funny lines here and there. The helicopter chase felt like Family Guy, not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

C+/B- or "3 out of 5"

EDIT

Anyone else notice that was the "Communication Breakdown" riff the band was playing in the recruitment video? Er, um, yeah.
    Last edited by altoids30; 11-12-2006 at 06:00 PM.

4/5

B

I'll have to see it again but I liked the episode. Lots of funny jokes, and more importantly, this episode felt ALIVE, it was breathing.

Itchy/Hillary in '08

4/5

Very funny, interesting plot, and alot of good stuff.

So far, the beginning of this season has been horrible(besides the THOH), and this was no exception. First let me say, I was totally digging the plot. I didn't think it was too out there, it felt epic and adventurous, I guess in the same way Lemon of Troy did. However, the whole reason the episode was so bad was how horrible the gags were. Many of the gags went on way too long. For Example:

- Lenny getting crushed by the tank: It was funny up until after Lenny was crushed by the tank. They could have just ended it with him getting crushed by the tank. It was funny, and no more was needed.

- Darting Eyes: This was lame to begin with, but it felt incredible stretched out, and it started to really irritate me.

-Bubble Guns: It would have been funny if they just ended with the bubbles coming out of the guns.

- Looney Toons scene: Could've been shorter. Also, I think it would have worked much better had it been animated in a more looney tunish style.

There was other stuff, but these overly long gags were what stood out as the problem. This definately was one of the worst episodes I have seen in a while. 3/10. Not liking the season so far
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattG_Fan
    -Bubble Guns: It would have been funny if they just ended with the bubbles coming out of the guns.
    Funny, I thought that was possibly the best line in the whole episode. The whole scene when they were hiding at Moe's was probably the best scene, with the exception of the schoolchildren watching the recuiting film.

I liked the meta-gags involved in the phone-tree montoge.

If it weren't for the insane plot point that the military was hunting down people in the suburbs with live ammo... I would have loved this episode. Maybe the military should be issued paintballs instead, and Homer's gang was fleeing because paintballs "really really sting"

Thread Information