View Poll Results: Go ahead! Throw your vote away! AHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - This is a pretzel town, pretty boy.

32 11.76%
  • 4/5 - We're only letting the bet ride bcause you crack us so consistently...up.

103 37.87%
  • 3/5 - I guess I'll go back to smuggling heroin.

87 31.99%
  • 2/5 - I am not so much disappointed as blinded with rage.

41 15.07%
  • 1/5 - I haven't cried like this since I paid to see Godfather 3.

9 3.31%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

I guess I am one of the few who enjoyed Bart joining Homer in the mob. Especially when he had on the wifebeater when he drove up in the trucks on a truck full of trucks.

From a lot of the comments I've read here about problems people have with the characterization of the Michael character...you have seen The Godfather, haven't you?

I don't think people have a problem with the characterisation of Michael. However I do think that

1) Why should I give a toss whether some one-off character who I don't know and will never appear again becomes a chef?

2) One's enjoyment of the character shouldn't be dependent on whether you've seen a certain movie anyway. You seem to be implying that people who would have a problem with him would do so because they haven't seen the Godfather. Seeing any movie shouldn't be a prerequisite for enjoying any episode.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have watched about eight minutes of the episode (as usually I have had problems with the download). I have to say I don't like Otto's characterization here, not because of him punisihing Bart, which is actually justified, but more because he seems quite irritated from the beginning and he doesn't listen to Lisa, while Otto is obviously dumb and a dangerous driver, he's always been shown as rather calm and a good friend of the kids. I am not against of this set-up in theory, but I think it's not very well developed (it would probably need better animation too, to show Otto progressively getting more upset, it needed some of the slow burn thing they have done pretty well before with other characters in classic episodes). I say all that cause I actually think Otto is a great character and they are not doing very interesting things with him today. In fact the whole set up seems like a poor excuse to get rid of the bus, rather than developing Otto as a character. Stealing the bus is not something I think Bart would do either (at least not without a good reason) and the Hans Moleman scene is quite forced too. I would have liked the little dragon thing if not for the abundance of drugs related jokes involving Otto in previous episodes.

Out of the rest I've seen I like Michael's introduction, Lisa befriending with him and the Finding Nemo line. So it seems to get better, but I can't say yet.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 09-11-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

About characterizations, I find it odd that people give points to this episode for the characterizations being "right." I think the only thing that seems to mean is that they don't act way over the top or say anything that irritates you. But characters who don't have any lines that resemble what real humans would say are not good characters if you ask me. Lisa was the only one who was decently characterized here imo.

By the way, I forgot about the Moe/Homer gag. That was a chuckle. But I did the math in my head...this episode had what, 200 - 300 gags total? And three were decent? I think my D- stays ;-/
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Purple Monkey Dishwasher Cyclone's Avatar

4/5

I really enjoyed it as I usually enjoy any episode that involves Fat Tony,funny episode indeed.

Milhouse For President

I was on the fence between 3/5 and 4/5 - but ultimately, the Godfather-parody at the end bumped it up for me. That was pure genius.

As many others have stated, the first act was a total mis-step. I kept thinking, "wow, they had all this great stuff to work with/explore, why waste so much time with the set-up?" I mean, the carpool was a great device for everyone to meet Michael (and for the Finding Nemo joke -- which again, I thought was pure genius), but they could have gotten there much faster. In fact, in Homerpalooza (sp), they did get there MUCH faster. Metallica was a pretty shitty plot-device -- though Moleman's line about Lars' grandmother *almost* made up for it.

As another poster said (Kiyosuki, I think), I could really see this as an extended character arc. While watching it, I kept thinking, "you know, this could be a really solid hour-long episode" because of how briefly some of the funniest aspects were explored, due to time constraints. An entire episode could have revolved around Bart and Homer running the mafia -- instead we just got a peek at what they do. Likewise, an entire episode could have revolved just around Michael and his father, without even getting into Homer/Bart running the mob.

That being said, the twist at the end with Michael poisoning his fathers enemies -- and the look on Lisa's face/Godfather music and last-scene set-up was just great. It made me smile and go "hell, yeah!" That's why I ultimately gave this episode a B.

I think the reason this episode probably frustrated viewers more than others was that it so CLEARLY had the potential to be really, really fantastic. The third act is proof enough -- they just didn't get it quite right. It's almost easier to accept a mediocre episode that will always be mediocre than it is to accept a pretty decent episode that has the potential to be classic.

Hey -- it was better than "American Dad" -- and at least as good as "Family Guy" -- so it was still a highlight of the night, Fox-wise.
    "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage...when pigs fly!"

[laughing as a pig flies past the window]

"Will you be donating that million dollars now, Sir?"

"Nooo - I'd still prefer not."

slack jawed gawker the 'house always wins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by film_girl
    I was on the fence between 3/5 and 4/5 - but ultimately, the Godfather-parody at the end bumped it up for me. That was pure genius.
    agreed..

"Lisa, never ask me about my business."
    Give the great Unwashed a pair of oversized breasts and a happy ending,
    and they'll 'oink' for more every time.
    - C.M. Burns

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    2) One's enjoyment of the character shouldn't be dependent on whether you've seen a certain movie anyway. You seem to be implying that people who would have a problem with him would do so because they haven't seen the Godfather. Seeing any movie shouldn't be a prerequisite for enjoying any episode.
    I disagree.
    To me, Sherry Bobbins was a great episode. And Citizen Burns. And most of the Halloween episodes. And 22 Short Films. And the list goes on. It isn't a prerequisite to have seen Mary Poppins, Citizen Kane, The Twilight Zone, or Pulp Fiction to appreciate these episodes; but if you haven't seen them, then you are not going to get the jokes.

Look at the scene from Godfather II in Homer The Vigilante. I remember watching that scene with my roommates when it first aired. The ones who hadn't seen Godfather II thought it was just some quirky Homer fantasy when he walks through the street as the Don, and didn't really get it. Those of us in the room who had seen the movie were rolling on the floor with laughter. The end of that same episode, with the tribute to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World left almost everyone confused...but in a good way. Having seen the film, I now find it much funnier.

One of the only episodes I laughed at in the past few seasons was the one where Lisa remade Willie by way of My Fair Lady/Pygmalion.

That kind of humor has been a tool that The Simpsons has used for a long time. Hell, Family Guy seems to be basing almost their entire show on that type of humor (damn, those are talented manitees ).

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I really don't want to echo anyone's sentiments, as a lot of the problems I have with the plot have already been pointed out. I didn't mind the first act too much, but it really was way too much setup for the story. I also felt that this would've been funnier if I had seen the first Godfather in its entirety. I did like the latent sinisterness of Michael, though they could've yanked Metallica (as much as I liked their appearance), put them in another episode, and spent more time on building Michael up as a cream puff. It would've made his actions in the end seem even more sinister.

There were a few really good jokes, many which have been mentioned. One that I thought was great that no one else seems to like was the Fat Tony Palm Pilot joke. Having owned a Palm Pilot at one point, the scene seemed all too common for me not to laugh, especially when Legs didn't understand what he meant and shot it. The line after "everything means to kill for us" or whatever reminded me of Don Vittorio's classic "you have brought great joy to this old Italian stereotype."

I was thinking about the flashback when Homer thinks of himself as Don Homer and he is able to speak Italian. Yet, in this episode, he thinks Fat Tony talks like Fat Albert (I just realized they are both surnamed "Fat," haha). Not that the Simpsons are big on continuity, but it seemed like a really out of place discontinuity. It seemed a little strange, but I think it was better than the promos showed it to be, especially the follow-up part after Marge steps on his foot and he still maintains the voice. Nice touch.
    Overall, I gave it a 3/5. Maybe since it was hyped up, I probably dissected too much to fully enjoy it.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Mmm... Free Goo

I went 3/5 on this one. I liked it. A very nice parody of the Godfather (though it is a good movie, I haven't really gotten it; need to watch it more).
    There needed to be, I thought more of a connection between Lisa and the kid. The episode seemed a little rushed to me.
    "Hey Guys, Look What I Smuggled Aboard!"

8 glasses of gravy a day Jeffster's Avatar

I gave it a 4. A lot of funny parts.

4/5, I liked it. I'm not into the whole reviewing crap anymore, even when I do give plenty of reasons why I liked a new episode that everyone else didn't think was great, I still have to defend it like I'm crazy.

My favorite part was the Homer/ Moe scene.

New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    One's enjoyment of the character shouldn't be dependent on whether you've seen a certain movie anyway. You seem to be implying that people who would have a problem with him would do so because they haven't seen the Godfather. Seeing any movie shouldn't be a prerequisite for enjoying any episode.
    I think the problem with Michael's character is that his arc is lifted directly from the Godfather without any attempt to translate it into the logic of the show. There's no justification in the Simpsons universe for his decision at the end -- we never see him wrestle with the issue of avenging his father...we don't even see that much of him. He just decides to kill the other mobsters because...well, because that's what he has to do. He's a parody of Michael from the Godfather, you know.

Compare that to other movie parodies the show has done -- the Simpsons has always taken the essential idea of a movie and then run with it, making it their own. Take "Rosebud," for example: Mr. Burns' longing for his bear Bobo is so effective because it works as its own distinct story, one inspired by Citizen Kane (and littered with fun references) but not dependent on the viewer's knowledge of the movie for it to make sense as a story.
    "Moe, you loveable loser -- you just made five dollars!"

Blog Entries

I appreciated the Godfather parody but the whole idea was just incredibly lazy. I mean if youre going to do a parody that takes up a sizable chunk of the episode then at least do a twist on it or something. First act was really lame (especially the worthless metallica appearance) but the episode picked up a little as it went on but then fell flat again. I got kind of a bad simpsons comics vibe when the three minute "homer becomes mobster" story started. Lunchlady Doris talking was kind of surprising but I don't really have a problem with bringing her back. The few decent jokes went on too long, something really has to be done about the timing.

Also Bart joining the mafia, ain't never seen that before

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

I think this episode neatly demonstrated what is wrong with the show today. The first problem was the same as 'Couple Play' - trying to make us care about a character we've never seen before and has no interesting or funny character traits.

The second problem is that basically every joke went on for longer than it should have.
    - Nelson's appeasing of Michael near the beginning ("Fun is so fun" etc).
    - The whole baking soda/vinegar/tnt thing. Whatever happened to exploding milk tankers and the like?
    - "Dirt Nap". In the promo I thought it wasn't that bad, but they totally destroyed it. How the hell can Homer imagine leaving his kids in a burning house?
    - the "truck-truck-truck" was great up to Bart's line. We didn't need to see the truck-truck-truck. And it certainly didn't need to drive up and stop in front of the Simpsons' house, could have just come past in the background.
    - Homer and Bart laughing and bringing out bigger and bigger weapons. again, good at first but went too long.
    - the final joke with Lisa outside Michael's room just seemed like more padding until the credits. Plus the fact I didn't "get" it due to not seeing the Godfather.
    Last edited by Disgruntled Goat; 09-12-2006 at 06:45 AM.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

well scottvivian basically just listed every joke that i liked in this episode. i guess i'll never read his posts again. now onto my review, which these days lets face it is just complaining about things

the beginning of the episode i found very typical of the jean era, with the first issue starting within seconds. bart being rebelious without a single line of dialogue is just incredibly lazy characterization. im so sick of the writers cutting corners with him. like making him a lifeless eating machine as they did in "heartbroke kid", or (from the looks of it) a shallow drumming machine in next week's episode. him stopping lisa from sitting down by putting his skateboard on the seat isnt interesting in the least. its shit and boring nowhere writing and i hate it

then there was otto rockin out to a song for like 30 seconds straight which was annoying and pointless and shit and makes me wonder why im watching otto rocking out to a song for 30 seconds. the only joke was he pulled off the handbrake to use as a mic. and it sucked. bart calling out "dont worry dude, we'll provide some tunes" was also possibly the worst reading nancy has ever done. it literally sounded like bart was on life support with only seconds to live (but with such cliche dialogue who can blame her)

and what was the deal with marge threatening bart with the baby photo? i mean the threat itself made sense but the photograph wasnt remotely funny at ALL. couldnt the writers have spent like, 5 minutes writing a joke there? we've all seen bart potty training and it was funnier the first time because, not only was it animated, but it also had context (bart wanting to take a home movie into class, then seeing himself on the potty and not being able to). im convinced the writers are trying to retell old jokes badly. i mean theyre just too consistently good at it for it to be anything else

after the so-so first act the bad stuff became more sporadic, but the writing also became blander. im not gonna bother going over how pointless it is to try and involve the viewer in the plight of a one-off character. if youre going to write an emotional story with a one-timer, do it so that the empathy is for one of the main characters. lisa wouldve been the obvious candidate here since she was the only family member to interact with michael. but she disappeared almost right after befriending him. how do the writers expect us to care about a story focused on a character we have no emotional investment in (unlike lisa)? the reason you care at all when watching an episode like say, colonel homer, is not because of poor lonely lurleen lumpkin, but rather how it affects homer and his marriage. so, this episode failed big time in making me care what was going on

in fact i can barely give a shit enough to finish this post. simply put, this was a jean era episode. it had a few things i liked (metallica, finding nemo blanket, everything scottvivian hated), but nothing made me laugh, and quite a few things i found very frustrating (god that willy joke...god, marge wishing she was dead, god homer is so unfunny). overall, i'd give it a C+. it wasnt bad to watch, but i have no compulsion to see it again. ever. we already have enough episodes like this. its filler in the grand scheme, and im getting sick of it
    Last edited by Sloppy Jimbo XOX; 09-12-2006 at 05:38 AM.
    signature

this seasons premier was way more disappointing than last years because it actually had the potential to turn out great. overall it was an episode that had a few decent jokes here and there but those jokes were outweighed by a number of crappy pointless ones which most members have already listed. the biggest disappointment to me was the fact that the storyline of homer becoming a member of the mob is something which sounds great on paper so why was there such a long unfunny build up towards it? overall id give this one a C, so its really on par with last seasons finale.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by Sugartits McJimbo
    well scottvivian basically just listed every joke that i liked in this episode. i guess i'll never read his posts again.
    I never said I hated those jokes (except the extension of the dirt nap one; that was bad). I just thought that they would have been better if shorter, or didn't have Homer leaving his children to die. They started funny, but got tiresome quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowbs
    When did he leave the show?
    He didn't, Otto's voice just sounded different so I thought it was another voice actor.
    Season 24: Moonshine River: C | Treehouse of Horror XXIII: B- | Adventures in Baby-Getting: B+ | Gone Abie Gone: C+ | Penny-Wiseguys: D+ | A Tree Grows in Springfield: C- | The Day the Earth Stood Cool: B+ | To Cur With Love: B+ | Homer Goes to Prep School: C | A Test Before Trying: B- | The Changing of the Guardian: C+ | Love is a Many-Splintered Thing: C | Hardly Kirk-ing: B- | Gorgeous Grampa: B+ | Black-Eyed, Please: B- | Dark Knight Court: B- | What Animated Women Want: C | Pulpit Friction: B- | Whiskey Business: C | The Fabulous Faker Boy: C | The Saga of Carl: B- | Dangers on a Train: B+

My Season Rankings: 4, 7, 5, 6, 8, 3, 2, 9, 1, 15, 14, 16, 10, 13, 21, 20, 19, 17, 25, 24, 23, 22, 12, 18, 11

Blog Entries

Finally I watched it all. Overall I think it was a good episode that somehow felt a little too short.

Lisa was well characterized and, though Michael wasn't a superb character, he was good enough. I could relate to his problems more than to the characters in HAMTACP, for sure. I think it's not so much about us wanting him to become a chef, but more about us thinking he's a nice and shy boy and then it is revealed that he's not so naive. It was a good ending, funny and not forced. However his character could have been developed quite a little more.

I haven't watched The Godfather yet (I know I should) but I liked this part.

I also think the first act went a little too long. I wish they'd stop doing this not so related first acts for a while because they usually spent too much time in them and they don't develop the ocasionally ambitious plots to their full potential. Like Veryjammy I wasn't exactly mad about seeing Homer as a mobster, but if this plot point is going to be covered it should probably have taken more time.

The animation and the direction were a little meh, maybe I spent too much time in John K's blog or maybe it's just that I rewatched Curse Of The Flying Hellfish the other day, but I couldn't help but noticing the characters didn't move too much. The very last scene looked ok, though, and Lisa's faces were funny.

The gags, as usual, were hit and miss, but the worst ones weren't too bad, just a little meh. The "truck truck truck" joke was a little silly, but it was ok, I guess. Homer and Bart laughing with different weapons was kind of lame.

Most of the good gags were Fat Tony's lines, some of the effects of people being scared by Michael were amusing too, the very last ending and ...I can't remember right now, but there were a good amount of decent gags. About Homer's fantasy I think people is over-exagerating a little. First, it is not real. Secondly I don't think the gag is that Homer wanted to get rid of his family or he just didn't care about them, but more the fact that he's so distracted with his silly nap that he just don't know what's going on. I mean, he's happy because he doesn't have to listen to Marge, but the gag is that she's talking about something very important he SHOULD listen.

Overall I think it's a B. Quite better than the last four episodes in season 17 or so, but still not great.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 09-12-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by sophistiquated
    Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I am not one of those people who always talks about how the Simpsons is going downhill, even though I do believe that it is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I'm constantly defending this show though. And for what? For an episode like THIS? This episode makes "Bonfire of the Manatees" seem like a season 4 classic! This episode had me groaning and rolling my eyes quite a bit.

I liked the season 17 episode See Homer Run, but one thing I didn't like about it was that it took too long to get into the story. It was the same with this episode. I know most Simpsons episodes seem to start one way, and then go a completely different way, but still. The main plot was that Homer becomes the mob leader. So why didn't they get into that until like 15 minutes into the show? He was the mob leader for what...5 minutes?

This episode also had many jokes that were just not funny and went on too long, such as the truck-truck-truck thing, when Homer and Bart showed off their weapons, and what Fat Tony said (I can't remember the exact quote) which ended with the Finding Nemo blanket. There were some funny lines though - such as the "Shark Tale" line, and the thing about the dirt bath. The fart thing was sort of funny at first, but went on for too long.There was just too much filler. It was very slow and boring. Metallica guest starring was kind of pointless. I didn't care for the dragon/high thing either.

I don't mind the Godfather parodies/references, but it just gets old after like the 20th or so time. Seriously, how many episodes have they done where they reference The Godfather? They never get tired of referencing this movie, will they? (I remember hearing someone say their number 1 most referenced movie was Citizen Kang, and number two was The Godfather)

Totally unrelated, I thought Harry Shearer left the show at first because of Otto's voice. Is someone else doing Otto now? Skinner and Hibbert sounded ok.

1.5/5 - D- - A few funny moments, but overall, it's a slow-moving episode with too many lame gags and jokes.

I feel so evil giving The Simpsons a bad review. I still love and have faith in it!
    Harry Shearer didn't leave the show, just a change in the voice probably from getting older and not doing the voice much.

Yeah, Homer being the mob boss was only about five minutes because that was the B plot... The main story was about Michael. You know, the person that the episode focused on? It got to the focus fairly quickly, Michael came in a couple minutes before the end of the first act. It's pretty easy to think that the show isn't getting to and that the main story is thin when you don't understand what it is.

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

Just a question: How did all you people in the UK see this episode??
    I thought they were several seasons behind with new shows??

Download

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention Metallica's cameo. I think the guest star appearances are starting to get too brief and unrelated to the story. I mean, I don't want the guest stars to become the center of the story, but what's the point of inviting these people to do a couple of lines in a cameo that can be interchangeable for any episode? I am not sure, but I almost certain the majority of the cameos in the classic era had more sense in the plot or , when they didn't, like James Woods in Homer and Apu, at least the guest star had a bigger role. I'm not a fan of Metallica but I think it would have been nicer if they'd reappeared at some point in the plot or something, in other episodes brief guest star appearances had some purpose at some point of the episode and things kind of got full-circle, like Barry White's in The Wacking Day, for example.

Ah, and I just remembered another joke that I found funny , Homer calling Shark Tale a good gangster movie. It's curious that they mentioned Finding Nemo and Shark Tale in the same episode.

Junior Camper

I thought it was a good episode.

Homer and Bart laughing with the guns was hilarious. So funny.

B

Much much better than last year's disastrous premiere.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sophistiquated
    He didn't, Otto's voice just sounded different so I thought it was another voice actor.
    Harry has been on such shaky terms with the crew lately; I wouldn't be surprised if he was just phoning it in, and the directors are too afraid to push him to perfection.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    Harry has been on such shaky terms with the crew lately
    Is this just based on the one quote from a few years ago about the dvds showing how good the show used to be? Or is there other stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork
    I haven't watched The Godfather yet (I know I should) but I liked this part.

Anyone here who hasn't seen it should see really should #1 and #2.
    Then wait a couple of months and watch them again.

Those films are part of our Cultural Literacy.
    If anything, you'll enjoy watching the Simpson DVDs a lot more when you see how many times those movies are referenced.

(..and so I'm not a hypocrite, I guess I'll go out and rent Citizen Kane now)

As always, perennially and reliably, lurking in the boards revealed the exact same prejudices, misperceptions, and pitfalls that always swamp the board at season’s openings. No one seems to remember that the first batch of the season are production holdovers from the last. They are the ones that – usually – begin to exhibit burn-out from the staff, and have been worked over sometimes too much, and they’re typically not as fully-sharp and polished as the eps from the beginning of the run. The publicity and promos are not the department of the production staff – they have very little input – and they never, ever, can be relied upon to reflect the show’s emphasis, tone, plot, etc. It’s a fool’s errand to infer much from them. But no one ever seems to retain this.

As always, I wish that fans would see fit to watch the show twice before racing to register their complaints over the Internet. Whatever you gain in ‘street cred” for the speed of the response – you lose in hearing and comprehending the actual jokes. And in tring to catch all the jokes, you cane easily lose the ‘flow’ of the ep’s progression. Watching twice always seems to assist.

There actually were relatively few crucial “Godfather” references, despite all the commentary to the contrary above; I mean, in the ep: Michael was Tony’s son, and Tony wants him to follow in his footsteps and run the business, but Michael has other plans to be a chef, and he embarrasses his father with his plans – though he uses his chef skills to avenge his weakened-by-a-hit father – but allows Homer to run the business end - and eventually comes to appear to join the family business despite his professed chef goals. Whereas in GF, Tony had other sons and specifically never wanted Michael to be involved in the family business, and Michael, coming home from college and war-service, had already shown that he was not interested – but he also had no other interests or goals himself. When his father is weakened by a failed hit, he takes an active role in vengeance with his brothers – though his role involves deception at a dinner-meeting on a red-checkered tablecloth too. And he joins the family business. The episode’s arc is a little more generic, of immigrant kids choosing a different career than their parents. It owes a little to “Godfather III”, too, in that Michael’s son Anthony has rejected the family business in favor of a “soft” career too – singing opera. There is no requirement to have seen the film to ‘get’ the episode.

Otto sounded perfectly normally great (if anyone was “off”, it was Johnny Tightlips). And Bart’s prank topped his losing his tunes, and getting dissed by a band he loves in favor of Moleman – of course he’s uncharacteristically pissed! Great use of Metallica, too. What song were they beginning?

Don’t kid yourselves – there was a huge debate over having Tress do Doris, and it came down to a few strong arguments for: Doris Grau was not really, at heart, an actress, or voice-over actress. She was Jim Brooks’ longtime tv script supervisor on many shows. But everyone in the cast & crew – and her job brought her in close regular contact with both – loved her personality and bone-dry, heavily-smoked-out New York voice. She always played herself. Al was a friend, too – she played (herself, essentially) Doris the stylist in Al & Mike’s “The Critic”. He, and Matt, and JLB, all thought Tress captured her perfectly, and they felt Doris herself would have blessed it – so they did it. She’s been prominent already in the backrounds since, so she never “really” went anywhere. (This is, btw, not opening the door to serious discussions of “anyone else” being revived. But one never says’never’)

DYN
    In the couch gag, the fam plays ‘duck-duck-goose’ to the tune of “Pop Goes the Weasel”;
    Otto exclaims “fuuuunnnk” instead of the expected explitive;
    Kearny was Otto’s elementary school classmate;
    The fart variations of kids’ songs are only 90% as funny as you’d expect;
    The last rock-group encounter Hans had was with Phish;
    Otto was issued a gun?!
    Realistic kid-bullying by Nelson, and another reference to his Mom’s stripping career;
    A return to Fat Tony’s mansion, since “Clown Poppy”;
    Apparently Fat Tony’s bullet wounds required Wiggum to need a colostomy bag – that’s pretty bad;
    Willie isn’t just “lying in puke” – he acknowledges his lower rank to his social better, Michael, that he sacrifices his own body so his lord need not have contact with the vomit – and he even adds “God bless ye!”. It’s a Medieval knight/chivalry thing, right in particular for Willie;b
    Dewey Largo continues his streak of prominence – “I have to go jingle my bags!” (of tea, I hope);
    Inexplicably, Joey Scarface – one of Fat Tony’s longest-serving henchmen - is in the car with the Calabrese family;
    Baking soda & vinegar actually do have that chemical reaction – and TNT does in fact explode;
    We’ve heard of Fat Tony’s wife Anna Maria before (but not named) – in “Twisted World” – but she’s passed away since then. (And “whacked by natural causes” is a great oxymoronic joke;
    “I wish I was dead!” is hardly ooc humor for Marge – she’s just made an earnest statement that came out unself-consciously “wrong”. In-char.
    Tony boasts works of Italian art;
    While guests Imperioli and Pantaliano are now well-known for their roles on “The Sopranos” – MI’s breakout minor role was the (whacked by Pesci) “Spider” in Scorsese’s mafia classic “Goodfellas”, and JP’s breakout minor role was the lead thug who assaults Fanucci in “Godfather II”. Here, they play father and son; (I’ll remind here that Louie is modeled on mob-cast-regular actor Frank Sivero – whose own breakout minor role was Genco Abbandando, young Vito’s consigliere in “Godfather II”);
    Krusty’s schnozz, punim, and pupik are Yiddish for his nose, face, and prick. His ganektikazoink is fake Yiddish;
    “Fell off a truck” is a mafia euphemism for “stolen”;
    How they had to exaggerate the driveways and yards in perspective to make the “Truck truck truck” appearance work;

REF
    Otto listens to “We’re an American Band” by Grand Funk Railroad (previous guests), and refers to “Smoke on the Water” by Deep Purple;
    Otto’s search for music on the radio dial is a funny ref to the fact that in the last 2 years, strictly “classic rock” radio stations have almost entirely disappeared, in favor of far more “narrowcast” categories of more limited, but more faithful, appeal;
    Though Otto’s vision is cartoony and funny, it’s a ref to “chasing the dragon” – which is heroin use;
    Tony’s having a son named Michael was first cited in “Seven Beer Snitch” – also by Bill Odenkirk, not coincidentally, Michael was indeed modeled on Pacino in Godfather I at the beginning – “droopy kid”, as Hagen calls him;
    “Columbus Day is better than Christmas” is Nelson sucking up to Italian-Americans, who revere Columbus Day;
    The canned ghosts weren’t really “Raiders”, but more generic ghosts;
    “Waste Management” is a cover story/euphemism for Mafia business – but its also the one particularly used by Tony in “The Sopranos”;
    Tony drives the same Land Rover as T. Soprano, and he grooves to A3’s “Sopranos” title music as they drive carpool;
    Cartoon refs everywhere! To Finding Nemo, Shark Tale, Garfield, and “Love Is…”
    Homer is not doing “Fat Albert” – he’s doing “Mushmouth” from “Fat Albert”. And he’s doing it to ignorantly make fun of Italian;
    “Chef Boy-are-gay” refs Italian-food brand “Chef Boyardi”;
    The helicopter hit-attempt through the windows is from “Godfather III’s” hit on the mob bosses;
    “everthing means killed”, “talk with my hands”, and “exaggerated displays of affection” are great references to Mafia behavior standards; (“You’re my everything, over here”, “You color my world, over here,” “Over here, over here!” “Over here” and “Here he is!” are heard in practically every “Sopranos” ep, knowingly.)
    Homer-as-mob-boss wears full track-suits – a la Tony Soprano, often;
    The family is storing plasma televisions in Homer’s garage, a la Chris’crew’s operation (in Baccala Sr.’s garage,) in the 3rd (or 4th) season of the “Sopranos”; as well as Duff beer (which Tony controlled in “18th Amendment”) and cartons of Laramie cigarettes (which Fat Tony contolled in his debut “Bart the Murderer”);
    While the ep’s end strongly resembles the closing scene of “Godfather” – and the closing music is Nino Rota’s score for that film – it’s not exact. Kate never opens the door that’s been closed in her face by Al Neri as Lisa does when Kearney closes it; and when Lisa opens the door, Jimbo is at first seen kneeling over, in the same position that Clemenza is in, in the film – however, Clemenza is kissing Michael’s hand in showing loyalty – whereas Jimbo is playing wih cars. Kate was crushed. Lisa seems suspicious of the whole thing.

For goodness sake – now go watch it again.

Thread Information