View Poll Results: What grade would you give this episode?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

11 10.89%
  • A

20 19.80%
  • A-

32 31.68%
  • B+

16 15.84%
  • B

6 5.94%
  • B-

12 11.88%
  • C+

3 2.97%
  • C

1 0.99%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

0 0%
  • D

0 0%
  • D-

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Homer vs. Patty and Selma

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate and Review: Homer vs. Patty and Selma

Seeing as this one has never been done thought I'd start a thread.

Anyway, one word for this: Hilarious. Really good humour threw out, and whilst I understand the complaints about it being a bit soap operaish it didn't bother me at all. Infact I really enjoyed the plot, and it didn't push the line for me (unlike perhaps The Two Mrs Napaha....) The subplot was pretty good, but didn't seem to go anywhere. I would of liked to of seen a small and simple conclusion. But this didn't really let down the episode from being a classic. A

Hilarious for the most part and a good plot. A/A-
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

A- - I don't remember it too much to be honest, last time I watched it was when season 6 came out on DVD. But I've always considered it to be a pretty entertaining episode.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

The ending is probably one of the funniest ever. I love Bart's subplot also. Although Patty and Selma are irritating as always,it's still good! B+

Homer Vs. Patty and Selma

Nice down-to-earth character-based story with good characterisations of Homer, Marge and Bart. The episode is consistently hilarious and has a great subplot of Bart learning ballet which concludes well with another "screw the audience" jokes that were prevalent in the Mirkin Era. Unfortunately, the main conflict often borderlines on being sappy and sitcommish and ultimately doesnt involve the viewer in the story as much it wants to. It attempts to show what Marge likes about Homer to Patty and Selma, but the way it does comes off a little dry. As I said, it is a good character-based based story with a great subplot and decent jokes but ultimately suffers from certain blandness. B+
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

really great episode. A

A-. It was good, but it didn't stand out as excellent. Bart's subplot was pretty average, but the main plot was really great. The very beginning at Moe's and the end at the DMV stand out as the best parts.

Junior Camper

Funny i watched this episode last night, great episode loved the sub-plot about Bart having to do Ballet and the mel Brooks scene was great to "Howa about i play police chief wiggum and you play col reiner...I HATE COL REINER!!".
    How Do You Feel About 45 Year Old Virgins That Still Live With Their Parents?

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Really liked it, especially when Homer said "I failed you as a husband and a father and at best I was a B + dog" 4/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

*Spits out water from the glass he was drinking*

Sappy?! Sitcommish? Soap opera-ish? Why, this is probably one of the most down-to-Earth episodes of the show since Season Two. Almost everything out of this episode is completely relatable, which makes it highly engaging, and therefore easier to sympathise with Homer's plight. I can see why some might find it a little dull since it's a little more grounded in reality, but in my opinion, this is an underrated little beauty that needs more attention than it gets.

I've loved the Homer/sisters rivalry over the years and this episode brings it all together very nicely. However, this one loses a couple of points from me because of the Bart ballet subplot. I know it's classic 'fish out of water' stuff, but I just hate the idea of Bart giving in to the idea and not fighting back in some way. A- or 4/5. (oh and if you don't like my review, T.S.)

Yeah Um I'm Ah Wondering! Jimbo77's Avatar

A- funny episode some parts are kind of stupid but overall its good
    I like the "We need fertilizer and think two 300 pound bags will do it"
    and the part when with the tv when Homer is like "Lisa can you shut the TV off" Lisa: "It is off" *X-file-ish Music*

Dam You Vile Woman

I gave it a B+ because it was a funny episode but just wasnt the type i like in episodes.

Homer vs. Patty and Selma is a good episode; however, it is overrated and fails to exceed what I will call a 'typical' Simpons episode. This is partially due to a novel but somehow unengaging subplot, where Bart takes up ballet. This is a clear example of a good premise gone awry. The main plot, where Homer runs himself into debt and is sold out by Patty and Selma, is better, although there are still a few awkward moments. However, the good moments, for instance, the startlingly funny ending, allow me to overlook the main plot's major flaws. The guest appearance by Mel Brooks is also decent, if not laugh out loud funny. However, these factors do not allow me to overlook the relatively weak subplot; as such, I will give this episode a B.

The Chunnel's gonna blow!

A-

Not one of my favorite episodes, but a good one still. It really makes you hate Patty and Selma, which is good, because you're supposed to. It was also nice to see Homer worried about upsetting Marge instead of him not caring. The ending was great, with him saving Patty and Selma's jobs, not for them, but for Marge. The Bart subplot was pretty good, too, especially the bullies reactions to his dancing, and their reactions when he is revealed. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, "Why is she just leaving me here when I clearly need medical attention?" Overall, 3.5/5.
    Season 18 Grades
    The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer: C+
    Jazzy and the Pussycats: D-
    Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em...: F
    Treehouse of Horror XVII: C-
    G.I. D'oh: B-
    Moe 'N' A Lisa: B
    Ice Cream of Margie (With the Light Blue Hair): B
    The Haw-Hawed Couple: B
    Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2: C
    The Wife Aquatic: N/A
    Revenge is a Dish Best Served Three Times: C
    Little Big Girl: A-
    Springfield Up: A-
    Yokel Chords: B
    Rome-old and Juli-eh: C-
    Homerazzi: B
    Marge Gamer: B-
    The Boys of Bummer: B
    Crook and Ladder: C-
    Stop Or My Dog Will Shoot!: C-
    24 Minutes: A-
    You Kent Always Say What You Want: C

Season Rankings
    4>7>3>8>6>5>2>9>1>10>15>13>14>12>18>11>17>16

Junior Camper

A great episode with many funny parts. B+

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

The problem I have with this episode is the subplot took up so much time away from Homer's plot that it could have easily been the main story. Because of this, Homer's plot wasn't fleshed out enough at all. I really wish we could have seen a better setup to Homer going to Patty and Selma for the money and more of Patty & Selma ordering him around. The ending to the subplot also felt awkward. most of the gags were solid, however, and I liked the ending to Homer's plot. B/B-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Incredibly forgetabble. Sub-plot unoriginal. Really didn't offer anything new in the situation of Homer VS Patty and Selma. Homer becoming a chaffeur was one of my least favorite Homer jobs, so unfullfilled. I did love Patty and Selma in this episode, though. They were delightfully cruel but did show some humanity in the end.

So yeah, I don't like this episode too much. But in quality, it was good which is why I gave it a B-

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

A really good episode, down-to-earth, solid, and entertaining throughout. All the characterizations too were spot-on and engaging. Both plots were interesting, and the endings of both were well-done; however, both plots seemed a bit lacking though, as if they didn't have enough time to develop either fully.

A lot of jokes seemed very strange though; in fact, this is one of the strangest episodes in the classic era. However, strange is a good thing when it comes to this one. It makes what could be a forgettable episode pretty memorable. 4.5/5

a good solid episode for me.
    The story is entertaining and explains the relationship of Homer, Patty and Selma.
    Also some really funny moments, like when Homer accidentally throws Marge out of the house.

B-

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great season 6 episode, loved Mel Brooks' guest appearance.
    A

I just realized how much I hate how mean they are to Homer.
    nothing in moderation-Ernie Kovacs

Junior Camper

This is a very good episode with good characterization and a sound plot. It was good to see Patty and Selma in all their mean glory and Homer showed a noble side to his character that can all too be often be forgotten with the rise of Jerkass Homer. But I thought that Homer should have had the chance to get more of a payback against Patty and Selma because they were really cruel in this episode.

The sub-plot, while not bad, was slightly boring. But it was redeemd by watching the bullies at the ballet performance with all their unlikely references to high culture books and movies

Not perfect but very good
    A from me

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Fantastic Stuff, Great Jokes, Down-to-Earth yet fun plot and some great characterizations an A- from me!
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A-, funny, could have been better {i think they only had Bart do ballet because at the time some might find that hilarious}

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An extremely underrated gem that deserves more praise. I could never stop laughing throughout this masterpiece.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very overlooked even though it's a very solid episode with some great laughs and a nice plot. B+/A-

Banned

Fantastic episode. How I miss season 6... A-

Blog Entries

Excellent episode, the end of the 2 stories are both awesome. A-

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A good episode with some decent jokes and a good plot, but there are many episodes I like better. I'll give it a B+.

Thread Information