• 2/5

4 3.51%
  • 1/5

2 1.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Like Father, Like Clown

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: Like Father, Like Clown

I don't consider Season 3 a classic because of three (ha ha) mediocre episodes. "The Otto Show," "Dog of Death" and this. My problem with it, is that it takes so long for the plot about Krusty and his father to develop, that all the remaining time is spent trying to help Krusty's father reconnect with him. The problem is, that there's really no conflict or plot turn that makes it interesting. Basically throughout the 2nd act, Bart is saying to Rabbi Krusofski over and over again "You know (insert Jewish law thingy) says (insert something that makes him have to make up). On one hand though, I have to give them some credit for developing Krusty as a character, and his voice as a kid is funny too.

3/5

3/5 - I'm not a huge fan of it either. I've always found this episode really dull. Too much plot and not enough humor. The key to the Simpsons is a balance of both

Stupid sexy Flanders. MashColoringBook's Avatar

I gave it a 4. I remember loving this episode as a kid. Especially the Bart playing chess joke.

5/5 A-

Probably shoulda gave it a 4/5, but It's still a great episode.

4/5. I don't think it is mediocre, just a bit average. It was funny, but not as funny as it should be. It was emotional, but not as emotional as it could be. The only strong aspect was its plot, which wasn't bad at all.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

4/5 - I agree that there wasn't enough humor. Still good,though.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I actually think this is a brilliant episode, and very funny too – though perhaps it’s because I’m Jewish and got virtually all the references there. I find it funnier than Lisa’s Substitute and Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish. Jackie Mason made a good Rabbi Krustofski, compare this to how he was woefully underused in Today, I Am A Clown. Another aspect of this episode that I liked was that it was meticulously researched, right down to the Talmud quotes. If you look at the end credits you can see a couple of Rabbis listed under the ‘researcher’ credit somewhere. Nowadays, it seems like the writers are less bothered with factual accuracy. If I have to make a single complaint about this episode, and I’m struggling a little here, it might be that the ending is just a teeny-weeny bit rushed, with the “We haven’t seen each other in thirty years!” and a pie being thrown in his face. It’s a definite 5/5 for me and nothing less.

Back but still forgotten

I watched it just a few days ago, its a total classic. I mean....in this episode we learnt that Krusty the clown's name is Hershall Krustofsky. That alone is worth enough to warrant alot of points.

5/5, my favorite joke being "ohhh the concert from Bangladesh" *ravi shanker music comes on*
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

Blog Entries

I re-watched this yesterday, and I have to say that I liked it a lot less than I used to. I like the character development of Krusty - this episode proves that he's definitely one of the most dramatic characters in The Simpsons. I also really like some of the camera angles: a toilet is in the foreground of the scene where Krusty is cleaning his shower; the camera focuses on Lisa while Homer chokes Bart off-screen, with a small part of his head dipping back and forth into the frame. There's a few good Brad Bird-esque Krusty drawings in here, but not as much as I would have liked. I'm not Jewish, so some of the jokes probably went over my head, but now having actually seen "The Jazz Singer," I can appreciate some of the allusions a little bit more. The main problem for me is that the third act, consisting mostly of Bart trying to convince Rabbi Krustofski, is pretty boring and repetitive. Along with "Krusty Gets Busted", this episode helped jumpstart the "Bart and Lisa save the day by using the public library" plot point trend which is done many times throughout the series despite rarely, if ever, being funny. Finally, the pacing, when compared to "Homer Defined," is pretty slow and plodding. Final score: 2.5-3 out of 5

Other notes: whatever happened to Ms. Pennycandy? And am I correct in saying that this was the first appearance of Mr. Teeny?

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I like this episode a lot because of Jackie Mason as Krusty's dad, not the funniest joke wise, but it had a great story and really built up Krusty to be much funnier in future episodes, so I'll give it an A-
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Junior Camper

I couldn't get into this episode unfourtuantely 2/5 something about Krusty being depressed all of the episode doesn't work..i only look at Krusty as being funny and always on the bright side.
    How Do You Feel About 45 Year Old Virgins That Still Live With Their Parents?

For me a very nice episode. One of the more memorable 'Bart and Lisa help someone' type episodes. Sometimes when an episode focuses on the background of one the side characters it can get a little tedious, but this one keeps the true-to-life jokes coming. Touching finale. 4/5.

Hypertechnometalfiend
    Under a big 'T', Southampton, Englandville

I really enjoyed seeing this again as it hasn't been on for ages, I didn't realise it was so early in the series. There were definitely enough funny moments for me, and I think they got the balance between the jokes and the story just about perfect.

I enjoyed the third act with Bart & Lisa trying to convince Rabbi Krustovsky as well, it struck me as an ending that was well thought out and nicely executed. I guess there are naturally going to be less jokes in the final part where they are resolving the story, quite a few other episodes have a similar structure.

I want to give it a 4.5, so am going to go for 4/5 to be fair to the eps I think deserve 5/5. Uh oh, I'm starting to take this far too seriously...

Favourite bit:
    Krusty's "Didn't Itchy Junior look happy playing with his father? And didn't Scratchy Junior look happy playing with his dad until they got run over by that thresher?" cruel but v funny
    Stealing, stealing, stealing a car for Moe
    Da da da dah da da da dah, insurance fraud today!

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

4/5

A good episode, the best Krusty-centric one in my opinion, but still, Krusty is not one of my favorite characters, so it didn't really do much for me. Well-written though and good plot.

Roger Waters Orthopedic Shoes Fat Psychopathic Wife's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of Krusty having his own episode. 3/5.

3/5, not my favourite episode but still a good one.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not one of season 3's greatest, but still generally good.
    4/5

i like this episode even when its not one of my favourites. Like the story around Krusty and his father. 4/5

the original Sex Pistol

Jackie Mason did a brilliant job, good story, everything perfect. A-

An O.K. episode with Krusty as the focus. We get to see his father as well. 3/5

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

i enjoyed learning of hershel's jewish upbringing. 5/5

One of Hershel's lowest episodes.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i dislike this particular Krusty episode, but still found it somewhat entertaining

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

I'll give it a 4/5.

One of the weaker season three episodes. It's not that it's bad at all. By classic era standards, it's just not very dynamic and is little dry in patches. 3/5

Blog Entries

If a criticism can be leveled against Seasons 2-3 (and that's a pretty fucking huge if right there), it's that sometimes the plot gets in the way of the humor/emotion. Now, a developed plot is always a great thing, and there are definitely humor and emotion in this episode, but the problem is the plot is just takes so long to develop there isn't much time for jokes. Granted, what's there is good, and the plot itself is fantastic, but for me there isn't enough humor there for me to count it among the classic greats.

That being said, the Rabbi is a good character, and the fact that they made Krusty Jewish was an important character development for him. I don't dislike the episode at all, I just think it gets bogged down (Lisa searches-Bart talks to rabbi can seem interminable at times). 12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

I didn't care too much for this episode. It was funny, in some parts, but Krusty really isn't one of my favorite characters. I'll give it a 3/5.

Cool avatar and sig made by the awesome merzitar!

farmer's market enthusiast Dylan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not that great, but a pioneer krusty episode. 3/5

One of the worst of Season 3 and not a memorable episode by any means. Although it lacks in gags compared to others in the classic era, it still has enough for me to be happy to watch it now and then

2.5/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Half decent episode. Krusty in the Simpson household was a good scene, as well as his depressed night out in the city (I can relate), but the ending on how the kids get Krusty's father to reconcile with his son is not very rewatchable. 2.5/5

Thread Information