View Poll Results: How do you rate THOHXI?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 "Running for Jesus!"

17 14.17%
  • 4/5 "A compliment from an attractive co-worker"

54 45.00%
  • 3/5 "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention"

29 24.17%
  • 2/5 "Take the one who wronged you!"

17 14.17%
  • 1/5 "It tries to warn you itself with it's terrible taste"

3 2.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: THOHXI

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R: THOHXI

Hopefully, I got the number right that time.

Intro: Nice parody, quite funny.
    G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad: Quite fun, good jokes ('Do you have to speak like that?', 'I'm not running for Jesus', 'Well I'll be damned'). One thing that really annoys me about it is how Marge seems almost unaffected by Homer's death. No tears at all and only a few sad looks. And the pace is way too fast, but I know it can't really be helped
    Scary Tales Can Come True: Great concept, decent enough execution. A few good jokes, with Moe and of the course, the whole George Cauldron thing. Really average.
    Night Of The Dolphin: Hmm, it attempts to be a 'body count' movie, which it is so not that it seems really out of place. I think they piled on loads of gore and deaths for shock value, which worked on me when it first came out. The whole thing was a bit of a crap idea, they could of made some parts better. Lenny's death is meant to be a Jaws parody (according to Beyond Forever). They should've done the parody well, using identical shots to the movie and not seeing the dolphins, as in Jaws, would've made it a lot scarier. I also hate Homer offering Lisa to the dolphins. *Sigh*, I prefer it when he tries to play hero, like in Dial 'Z' For Zombies. A pretty crappy segment.
    Overall: Average-ish, first of the 'not so great' THOH episodes, but by no means bad. It's between this and XIII for the best post-THOHX THOH episode. I don't normally give grades, but what the hell, B-
    Last edited by Adam R; 06-08-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

Copied & Pasted from Channel 4 thread:

Well this is the first time I have seen any season 12 episodes in absolutely ages, so going into tonights ep I was kinda excited... well as excited as you can be for the premiere of a Scully produced season. Just as horrible as I remembered, this was easily on par with some of the worst of season 11. While the first two segments were simply mediocre with cheap jokes and lazy, uninspired scenes, the Dolphin act was horrific. The act contained no laughs and simply told the story in the way of dreadful slapstick from the gruesome death of the townspeople. Oh yeah, and dolphins speaking was really, really cringeworthy. D

Stonecutter

Very, very good. One of the Seasons best. A-/B+.

Stonecutter

This is my favourite post-classic THOH, mainly because it seems much more violent than any other newer ones, yet the humour is still very much there. The Witch and Snorky are brilliant characters and the beginning is a really novel and original way to start a THOH. I laughed from start to finish. 5/5 A

First segment is excellent. I'm not much of a fan of the second. The third is really strange, but it's not bad overall. I'd probably say a B-

When I think about it, it really doesn't seem so bad, but as I recall, it really just didn't make me laugh. 2/5.
    deuces on the ride

Mad without power

Like every Treehouse here on out, it's one good segment (Night of the Dolphin) ruined by two crappy ones.
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Back but still forgotten

Not the best, but its really hilarious, lots of solid jokes all the way through. 4/5
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

4/5 I actually think this is better than any of Jean's THOHs.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad 4/5
    Scary Tales Can Come True 4/5
    Night Of The Dolphin 5/5 (I'm not kidding)

Overall,4/5

Ghost Dad was mediocre but scrapes OK I guess. Unfortunately, Dolphin and Scary Tales both lower the grade a bit.
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

3/5 C+

Ok, not that great.

I'm suprised how many people like Night Of The Dolphin. It just feels as if it's only there to see how many characters they could kill in as many ways as possible. I don't think THOH episodes have to be really violent to be entertaining.

I love this episode, I don't know why but I can just somehow forgive all it's flaws because it's evil and funny and entertaining...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

4/5 ..I liked the first seg and the last seg. but this tasty sandwich of an episode had mayo in the middle, ..and I dont like mayo!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

3/5, nearly ruined by the last act. I love Ghost Dad, that whole segment is hilarious. I think there was an R&R thread for this eppy about 3 weeks ago.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Is the weakest Treehouse of Horror since VII, and I mean that in a bad way. C-

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad B
    Scary Tales Can Come True C
    The Night of the Dolphin C+

overall only an average halloween episode for me C+

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad B-
    Scary Tales Can Come True A
    The Night of the Dolphin B+

Overall an A

This is a very funny THOH and has three very interesting and enjoyable segments. Loved the intro as well.
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

the first sessionis hilarious.. i give the whole episode a 4.8/5 nearly perfect.

coonerisms are spool dapper dan's Avatar

The hitchcock parody of The Birds (dolphins) makes this awesome

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

4/5, Skully knew how to at least make enjoyable THOH episodes and I enjoyed the Kang and Kodos cameo at the end in particular.

What's with the sterothypical devil design in the first segment? Why didn't they use the good, ol' one from episodes like "Bart Gets Hit By A Car"?

Anyhow, pretty dull episode. The only thing I liked was Goldylock's death cause it was so over-the-top gruesome. The dolphin tale confused me, I kept trying to figure out what the hell it was meant to be a parody of. I wish they had devoted a whole segment to spoofing Jaws instead of parodying an extremely obscure movie no one today remembers.

coonerisms are spool dapper dan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    instead of parodying an extremely obscure movie no one today remembers.
    I remember. That makes me better than you. Have fun with your modern pop-culture.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad: A weak segment with a pretty jerkass Homer at the first minutes. After that, the plot developes better, but some jokes are not enough for me to be interested by this story. 6/10, because it's not crap.

Scary Tales Can Come True: This was one of my favorite segments, but it doesn't bear well the reviews. Anyway, it's funny and pretty enjoyable, but it's considerably worse than the best Halloweens. 8/10.

The Night Of The Dolphin:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamm R))) View Post
    I'm suprised how many people like Night Of The Dolphin. It just feels as if it's only there to see how many characters they could kill in as many ways as possible. I don't think THOH episodes have to be really violent to be entertaining.
    I give it a 5.5/10.

The whole Halloween is 6.5/10. Good for its season, but very weak for a Halloween episode.

Quote Originally Posted by globalhypermeganet View Post
    I remember. That makes me better than you. Have fun with your modern pop-culture.
    No it dosen't. Having a knowledge about crappy b-movies doesn't make you better than anyone. And I was suggesting they could use Jaws instead, that "modern pop-culture" film is over 30 years old.

It's alright.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

last time i saw it was about a year or two ago, duh! for halloween. But it seemed really bland. I'll wait and post another review after season 12 is on DVD, but right now, a 2/5.

The first act is quite good, even if I don't like the end. In contrast, the rest is very very average.

10/20, which is low for a THOH. The worst, until the arrival of XVII.
    Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

Blog Entries

There's something wrong with this THOH. The premise seem interesting and fresh, but the whole thing comes off as being unremarkable.

The "Ghost Dad" segment featured some nice gags, particularly the broccoli stuff and the scene where he kills Agnes Skinner. The rest of it is kinda there. I thought the ending in Hell was kinda stupid, Homer getting a noogie from Satan. I kinda wish they would've just ended the segment with Homer falling through the clouds toward flames. Overall, probably a 2.5/5. Nothing too horrible.

The Hansel & Gretel parody that followed is probably the funniest segment of the three, featuring some funny jibes at fairy tales. I didn't enjoy it as much as I should because I'm kinda worn-out from fairy tale parodies now, between "Shrek" and other shows doing it all the time. It's not the episode's fault, since it predated a lot of it, but it makes the segment feel kinda tired. There's some unsubtle writing too that bugged me, like Lisa to tell Bart to stop basting himself right after we see him basting himself. Thanks for ruining the joke, Lisa. Overall, 3/5.

"Night of the Dolphin" had the strongest story overall. The idea of killer dolphins is the kind of quirky switch-up The Simpsons does well. I really don't have any complaints about how the plot came together, especially with the town revolt against the dolphins at the end and the smashcut to them sitting in the ocean. Lisa delivers another super-obvious line at the end where she feels stupid for dooming humanity, which we all already get, which kind of makes me want to reach through the screen and slap her. The rest of the jokes were okay. I don't remember that many of them now, but there was nothing too horrible overall. 4/5.

Final Score - 3/5

Thread Information