Thread: Jokes that are only funny once

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Jokes that are only funny once

Post jokes that are funny the first time you see it, but get less funny when you what's going to happen.

From Homer The Heretic:
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called wicked guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...I forget. But the point is...I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"

Haha...I still laugh at that one.

For me, when Comic Book Guy does that "make like my pants and split" thing when Bart uses the phony credit card. Laughed my ass off when it first happened. Can't laugh now.

Stonecutter

"The Be Sharps"

Too obvious?
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

err... never really come across a joke that was only funny once. i think if a joke was funny the first time, it's always going to be funny. naturally though, over time, you're probably not going to have the same reaction to it as you did initially. i mean its like with... let's say chocolate. the first time you had that you were probably all like "aw hell yeahs, chocolate's da bomb" but now you just like eating it, you recognize that it's great, but you'd be kinda weird if you made a big deal about it every time

to define a good joke by a laugh in a show so tightly packed with humor is absurd anyway. there are jokes that i think are fantastic but never make me laugh, simply due to the rythm of the plot and the material surrounding them

im kinda raving because this is an issue that annoys me, both with writers changing jokes cos they "cant tell theyre funny anymore" or with people trying to claim that a joke in a scripted comedy isnt good if it doesnt get a laugh. not every joke needs to be laugh out loud funny

with all of that said, there are quite a few jokes that i absolutely adored as a kid, but don't really enjoy anymore. homer playing lisa's sax by saying "saxamaphone" into it was fall on the floor funny to me when i was 10. maggie's "ban the bottle" dance from "mother simpson" is another one that i loved a lot (actually quite a lot more before i got the references to "laugh-in" and "ban the bomb"). i just found it funny that they cut to maggie dancing, and the music was amusing. and while these two jokes don't get any type of reaction from me now, i still fully recognize that theyre funny, and more importantly, perfect for their respective scenes... which is maybe something the writers should be considering more

Quote Originally Posted by HOMR
    From Homer The Heretic:
    "Kids, let me tell you about another so-called wicked guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...I forget. But the point is...I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?"
    this one has always been laugh out loud funny to me. just the way bart and lisa lean in every time you think homer's about to make a point is great. the "blue car" line is simply the icing on the cake
    signature

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It makes me sad to think there's probably been some brilliant jokes cut just because the writers stopped laughing out loud at after seeing it for the 37th time.
    Although oddly Mirkin claims he was often trying to go against that and argue to the writers that people that haven't seen it yet will still laugh out loud. And Greg Daniels says to Oakley & Weinstein that he thought they didn't cut jokes just because they were getting old so much.

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone ever laugh at jokes they don't find funny, like an invonlutary reaction to a punchline. Because I remember laughing at that "watching the orange bowl" gag in christmas stories. Even though I was thinking "but that's terrible"

There really aren't any jokes that I only laughed at once, actually most jokes that I thought were really funny get funnier everytime I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    It makes me sad to think there's probably been some brilliant jokes cut just because the writers stopped laughing out loud at after seeing it for the 37th time.
    Agreed. I know that was why the Rover Hendrix joke was in Homerpalooza, I don't know what it originally was, but that one was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone ever laugh at jokes they don't find funny, like an invonlutary reaction to a punchline. Because I remember laughing at that "watching the orange bowl" gag in christmas stories. Even though I was thinking "but that's terrible"
    "They put us on the Waiting To Exhale waiting list, but they said don't hold your breath"
    And one from Futurama
    "Deliver the scissors quickly. But don't run with them!"
    I still really like these jokes, even though they're awful.

Back but still forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    "They put us on the Waiting To Exhale waiting list, but they said don't hold your breath"
    I still really like these jokes, even though they're awful.
    Oh, come one, thats a brilliant joke and I love it.
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

Ugh that's a terrible terrible joke. It could have come straight out of a big book of corny sitcom zingers.

One of my favorite jokes was the introduction of Disco Stu. While I still find it funny, the joke's really been dulled with Disco Stu being a regular character now. It makes me wish he'd never become a regular, just to preserve that joke.

You know what I'm talking about.

Edit:fixed.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 06-07-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Back but still forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Ugh that's a terrible terrible joke. It could have come straight out of a big book of corny sitcom zingers.
    Right, and I think Homer saying this was a subtle jab at sitcomy jokes, maybe im wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki

Yep, the rake reprises in Day Of The Jackanapes and The Italian Bob.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sithjester
    One of my favorite jokes was the introduction of Disco Stu. While I still find it funny, the joke's really been dulled with Disco Stu being a regular character now. It makes me wish he'd never become a regular, just to preserve that joke.

That's how I feel about all secondary characters who become recurring too much. *coughcomicbookguycough*

But seriously, "Worst _____ Ever" has run its course in my book.

Conversely, I'll always laugh at the rake provided they don't reference it everytime Sideshow Bob is on the show.

Stupid sexy Flanders. MashColoringBook's Avatar

The rake gag is the oldest in the book, but I still love it.

The original rake gag is absolutely hilarious no matter how many times I watch it. I thought the reference in Day of the Jackanapes was good for a laugh too. Didn't like the reference in Italian Bob at all

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    That's how I feel about all secondary characters who become recurring too much. *coughcomicbookguycough*

But seriously, "Worst _____ Ever" has run its course in my book.

Conversely, I'll always laugh at the rake provided they don't reference it everytime Sideshow Bob is on the show.
    I agree with you about Disco Stu, but not necessarilly CBG. I think it comes down to the character itself...some characters by design just have more potential than others do. Like I can't imagine the show without CBG being a semi regular now, he was just a very fun character and not necessarilly limited to just one routine...where as characters like Stu and Cat Lady are pretty limited in use.

Pin Pal

There are some jokes which were dulled after I found out they were parodying something, I liked them more when I just assumed the writers decided to include something that was just really surreal and didn't make any sense. Like Barney escaping from the hospital in the first clip show.

Some jokes I find funnier *after* I've seen them once. Like Homer's "Ha ha! I am invincible!" in Homer Loves Flanders, because you know exactly what comes next.

"The quality of the program is already slightly dying" - alt.tv.simpsons post, November 1990
    Endut! Hoch Hech!

The original rake scene will always be hilarious, it's so absurd.

Bart gets an Elephant: "If you can read this, you scrubbed too hard" - I think I went "heh" the first time. Since that, it sucks.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I agree with you about Disco Stu, but not necessarilly CBG. I think it comes down to the character itself...some characters by design just have more potential than others do. Like I can't imagine the show without CBG being a semi regular now, he was just a very fun character and not necessarilly limited to just one routine...where as characters like Stu and Cat Lady are pretty limited in use.
    I'm not sure, but I think it's partially that I never felt comfortable when they actually call him "Comic Book Guy." To me, it seems if you are going to have a character as a semi-regular to at least give him a decent sounding name.

CBG is funnier in his pop-up moments rather than when he is the focus. He was the guy who, every time I hear the "Are you the creator of Hi and Lois..." line, I can't stop laughing. He is also the guy when I see him seriously trying to marry Edna Krabappel wearing a Klingon uniform, I just cringe.

I agree about Cat Lady. That wasn't even funny the second time they used it in the same episode when they introduced her. But there are a lot of people I know personally who like her. Go figure. I don't mind Stu as much when used sparingly and appropriately. I kinda like seeing him on screen, but not talking.

I'm not sure, but I think it's partially that I never felt comfortable when they actually call him "Comic Book Guy." To me, it seems if you are going to have a character as a semi-regular to at least give him a decent sounding name.

CBG is funnier in his pop-up moments rather than when he is the focus. He was the guy who, every time I hear the "Are you the creator of Hi and Lois..." line, I can't stop laughing. He is also the guy when I see him seriously trying to marry Edna Krabappel wearing a Klingon uniform, I just cringe.

I agree about Cat Lady. That wasn't even funny the second time they used it in the same episode when they introduced her. But there are a lot of people I know personally who like her. Go figure. I don't mind Stu as much when used sparingly and appropriately. I kinda like seeing him on screen, but not talking.
    Its like when you think about the broad, overall description of the characters.

Comic Book Guy is "the surly, sarcastic uber-geek". That alone is broad enough to have a lot of uses for satire and great comedy.

Where as Cat Lady is well..."crazy cat woman". She was brought on for a very specific gag and every other time she's been used its been basically an off shoot of the same thing. Same with Disco Stu although even he has a bit more to work with than Cat Lady.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Yes!!! Someone agrees with me about CBG at last!

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

Banned

LOL Brad Goodman

Its not tricky its just a simple trick.

Junior Camper

There definetely are jokes that you only laugh at once. Not because they aren't funny. Quite the opposite they could be the funniest of the episode. But what happens is that that joke stays with you and you keep thinking about it so much that it wears out on you. That is why I try not to over dose on the DVD's so I can still enjoy the episodes. Although The Simpsons is the type of show where you can see an episode ten times and it is just as funny as the first time. The only difference between the tenth viewing and the first viewing is that you know what will happen.
    That is the thing about laughter. You laugh at what your subconciense automatically thinks is funny not what you have time to analyze and criticize. Plus on The Simpsons the thing is that if there is a "B" joke that is in the episode the actors are so good that there performance can make you laugh hysterically at that joke.
    There were a lot of very funny jokes that were deleted in the past. But the DVD's have them. One of the funniest jokes in my opinion that got cut was in A Star is Burns where they show Lisa and Maggies movie and Lisa says "Homer Eatin Muin Hagen Dasz" and then Lisa and Maggie turn upside down and there hair interlocks like gears.

Thread Information