View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

13 5.42%
  • 4/5

57 23.75%
  • 3/5

73 30.42%
  • 2/5

56 23.33%
  • 1/5 - enough with the marriage episodes!

41 17.08%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play" (HABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play" (HABF16)

The Springfield Isotopes's star second baseman is having marital problems, so when he sees Homer and Marge kissing on the Jumbotron, he asks them for advice, but when Homer is later caught giving a neck massage to the player's wife, it's a twin bill of marital ill

Raggin' On Your Cord

Another awful episode, just end the show already.

Enjoyable episode throughout. It had a very coherent story and focus, and didn't really veer down the Homer/Marge marital trouble path much at all, luckily. A lot of fresh clever gags, but a couple lousy ones too, unfortunately (Marge's "wha?" sequence at the door, for example).

4/5

More thoughts later.
    Signature.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: extra

4/5
    The baseball not hitting the billboard target, but the man
    Marge's "what's" at the door
    Moe and Duffman were both funny throughout
    Tabetha's two performances
    Grandpa's story of how he was a woman to avoid going to war
    Homer's "3 O'clock" during the first counsilling meeting
    Homer trying to pry open Marge's crossed arms
    Tabetha "cleaning" the lamp
    Bart on the cell phone, "Cancel all my appointments"
    NOTE: Has Bart ever said anything nice on the chalkboard like he did in tonight's opening scene? "Have a great summer, everyone!"
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-23-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Duffman was about the only laughs the episode got from me.

that wasn't really funny, i liked the story, but i didn't laugh hard once

3/5
    Last edited by Randy Marsh; 05-21-2006 at 04:40 PM.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Surprisingly even worse than Bonfire. While it wasn't the "marriage in trouble" episode we imagined, there was nothing at all interesting about the plot and only a few gags were even good. 1/5

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

It was pretty good. The Monkey Suit would have made a better, more memorable finale, whereas this was more of a standard episode.

A few more lines and Moe would have had a subplot.

4/5

Edit: I love when some retard screws with the poll. Thanks, ass.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Shave those sideburns!

this was the worst of the season in my opinion. there weren't any great jokes, only a few that made me smile (lenny and carl joke and moe calling out). did anyone notice the animation of homer and marge getting in the little cart at the end? it may have just been my tv or was that really glitchy looking. i hoped that the season would end better than this. 1/5
    Carnies built this country, the carnival part of it, anyway. And though they may be ratlike in appearance, they are truly kings among men. -Homer Simpson

"Oh, Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me" -Comic Book Guy

I'm the luckiest man in the world...now that Lou Gehrig's dead. -Homer Simpson

"Here's my advice on women: don't give them nicknames like 'Jumbo' or 'Boxcar' and always get receipts. Makes you look like a business guy." -Homer Simpson

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Just kind of a tepid episode overall. On the plus side, it didn't really consist Homer and Marge arguing (just a couple minutes of that in the third act) like so many "marriage problem" episodes...but the plot was flawed in that it revolved around two uninteresting one-timers. Their affections for each other came and went on a whim, and didn't seem to conclude in a very logical way.

The gags were more scattered than some recent episodes, but there were still some quality ones. I loved the "bulls-eye" fakeout gag, "Remember when we used to kiss like that...with our respective girlfriends?", "This is the worst blimp crash ever." "Too soon!", and the multiple Duffmen. But a lot of Homer's antics weren't all that great this time around, and the rest of the family wasn't particularly interesting (although Marge was decent enough).

EDIT: The animation seemed less-than-great tonight as well. The proportions looked off at times, particularly when Bart was sitting in front of the TV at the beginning (his legs looked very small).

Not too much more to say, not a bad episode, but a very average one, and a strange choice for a season finale.

C+/C 3/5
    My Nintendo webcomic,

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Er, the episode was rather hit and miss and the ending was bit...odd. However I'm glad this wasn't a 100% marrige on the rocks episode around Homer and Marge. Also, this episode had the best "run on" gag in a long time with Homer trying to pry Marge's arms apart.

Rate: 3/5 (B-)

Jake

(Tabitha can polish my pole anytime! )

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, pretty enjoyable. 5/5.

Wow, I see this is extremely mixed. Actually, it was way better than I expected. I voted 5/5 but I change it to 4/5. I liked that it mostly focused on Tabitha and the baseball player's marriage instead. Huge laugh from the argument between Marge and Homer with Homer screaming "I say, a monkey CAN mow our lawn!" I liked Marge saying "Crossed arms mean 'no'" and then Homer trying to separate her arms (the first time only though, the second and third time weren't needed), Homer's "protection" being a bib, Marge pointing out that Duffman was just tied up on a blimp earlier when he was in the control room. What was with them saying the Isotopes were winning the game and then when the Simpsons got there Tabitha sang the pledge? Damn Fox for cutting off that techno-jazz credits. It really sounded like "Toxic" but obviously wasn't due to rights and all that.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Horrible. It felt like a Scully era episode. Stripper jokes, sports analogies, jokes that went on way too long, and a whole lotta jerkass Homer. That's all it was about. But at least they used the guest this time.

The only good thing was the Duffman jokes, but they were not enough to hold this episode together.

Pray for better episodes for season 18.

1/5. I will not rewatch.

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe
    Huge laugh from the argument between Marge and Homer with Homer screaming "I say, a monkey CAN mow our lawn!"
    These Homer jokes do absolutely nothing for me. They actually detract from the episode for me. I feel like anyone who knows anything about Homer could write a line like that. :-$

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Thumbs Down

An average episode -- not what I was hoping for to conclude the season.

Most season finales usually have some amazing big name guest star, or a wild and crazy plot twist to get you to come back for more when the season starts again in the fall. I guess the Simpsons has too dedicated an audience, as the producers don't need to -- or don't give a rats ass -- if we come back in the fall to watch -- just look at the lame season finale we were shown tonight.

Mandy Moore as her teeny-bopper slutty self isn't really a great guest star. Though Stacey Keach is a big name, he didn't really get many good lines. The plot didn't leave us wanting more, didn't make us wonder what would happen in the next episode, didn't really do a hell of a lot of anything actually.

There were some good laughs:

1. Intro to the 'season end' with Bart's blackboard reading "Have a great summer"

2. The Lenny/Carl bit about how we used to kiss like that

3. Many of Moe's appearances throughout

4. The baseball taking out the blimp (though I saw that coming)

5. The baseball announcer during a home run -- "Much as America's reputation.. . this one is long gone

6. Homer running from the blimp

7. Bart saying "why do I suddenly have the urge to give her five dollars"

8. Bart saying "cancel all my calls."

I was saw teeny-bopper Mandy Moore was a featured guest star and thought this episode might bomb. It didn't bomb, though I suppose my biggest beef is this should have been something different -- something spectacular -- or at least an attempt at something different. This was the season finale, yet it wasn't any different than any run of the mill episode.

3/5
    OfficerWriter

Eh, it certainly wasn't a good finale. Had some funny gags, but way too many jokes missed their mark. A lot of the dialouge sounded so lame and I had to cringe quite a bit after some of that episode's joke attempts.
    3.5/5
    [SIZE=1]

Pray for better episodes for season 18
    We could do that, but 5 seasons of knowledge has told us that better episodes won't happen. Sorry, folks.

Anyway, 2/5 C

Yeah, kinda sucky for the most part. The long line of mediocre 17th season episodes continues with this one. Some pretty good jokes here and there, a LOT of clunkers. Lame, life less storyline. Cheap animation. Long ass opening. Goofy sight gags. Homer was annoying. The list goes on.

*sigh* Season 17 comes to an end in crappy fashion. I need some time to think where this ranks amongst the various seasons.... but right now it's not looking good. I'd say there were about 2 or 3 great episodes, 2 or 3 good episodes, the rest were mediocre or shit. Off the top of my head I'd rank (from best to worst): 13, 14, 17, 16, 15. I probably enjoyed it more than last season, now that I think a little about it. I'll be more certain with my stance in a little while..

I missed the first half (it wasn't my fault) but I liked what I saw.

I won't rate it until I've seen the whole thing.

While it had hardly any cringe worthy jokes and a lot of funny gags, it never felt engaging enough for me. C+

Schweeet cakes!

3/5

I thought the episode was okay.

I was expecting it to be better after some site gags in the beginning seen in the end credits of "Hutch" (will need to re-watch this episode just for that coz I missed a few) but it just wasn't that funny / interesting enough for me to give it more than a 3.

I'm kinda glad that it didn't turn into a Homer/Marge marriage problem, but 'marriage-on-the-rocks' episodes are now stale, after seeing a lot of those kinds of episodes this season.

Also, I found the episode a little short (coz of the long couch gag...Killer Couches! which I still find funny) and there were too many run-on gags (Homer emptying bag of baseballs, Marge's "Wha...?", Homer prying open Marge's arms)

I did like the Lenny/Carl joke about them kissing...their girlfriends! That was probably my LOL moment from this episode.

I think "The Monkey Suit" would've made a better season 17 finale, but I wish it was "Girls Just Want To Have Sums" (I think that was the best episode from this season)

Hoping for the best for Season 18!
    "You mean it's not Maggaggie's birthday?" -Homer

Legend of the Skating Fish

I liked it. I think it could have been a little bit better with the plot, but the humor was some of the best I thougt.

Junior Camper

Judging from the poll results (which really cannot be counted on any more), it looks like a very decisive 4/5, I would have to agree.

It was a pretty decent episode. There were few, if any, really stand out, laugh out loud moments, but still I found it enjoyable.
    I really liked how deep Homer got into his role as a marriage counselor.

I finally got to see the [really long] couch gag I missed earlier in the season.

4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrjeffy321
    Judging from the poll results (which really cannot be counted on any more), it looks like a very decisive 4/5, I would have to agree.

4/5
    Guest voting dicks with the polling.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Better than Bonfire, and slightly better than Mobile Homer, but no, not a good way to go out. Story was weak, Marge got on my nerves with lines like the one about "baseball-playing man" and his "costume," and the songs that tried to be Britney parodies just came off as lame imitations, unlike, say, the Toby Keith knockoff in Simple Simpson. And the ending with the exploding blimp was awful and telegraphed, very reminiscent of Scully.

I liked some of Harry's baseball announcer lines though.

2/5

3/5 ..I was hoping for a Home run to end the season, but We got a Lame celebrity Ep. Still got some good laffs tho,....

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

We're still on the first page of replies?

Don't expect a good episode anymore, harsh but true. I actually think they're keeping the good stuff for the movie. I hope! If they don't, they can kiss my Mexican butt goodbye.
    Last edited by Alex perez; 05-21-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Quote Originally Posted by Alex perez
    Don't expect a good episode anymore. Harsh but true, I actually think they're keeping the good stuff for the movie. I hope!

I hope they have some better episodes safely tucked away in the vault -- otherwise they probably won't have anything good to offer in the movie.

Maybe they need to clean house and bring in some new writers and get rid of some of the old stale writers. Like the writers of tonights episode -- what were they think?

No Pretense

What's with the re-use of couch gags?

Thread Information