View Poll Results: What would you rank "Homer To The Max" as?

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Pure classic

41 22.40%
  • 4/5: A strong offering

62 33.88%
  • 3/5: Good, but still meh-ish

50 27.32%
  • 2/5: Seemed a bit stale

19 10.38%
  • 1/5: My eyes! My eyes!

11 6.01%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Homer To The Max"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review "Homer To The Max"

I recently saw this on the "Dark Secrets of the Simpsons" DVD. I had seen it on it's first airing but not since. Seeing it again, I realized it is one of the better episodes of Season 10 (IMO on par with "Mayored To The Mob"). It's not as good as "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" but was still very enjoyable. I liked the whole opening scene, as well as the line "Thai good. You like shirt?". Acts 2 and 3 were also very strong.

EDIT: I just rewatched it, and I would now grade it an A-. I can also remember parts that are really good: "And if there's room lots of exclamation points and a pirate flag". Also, as Joel Duffman pointed out, "Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and feel the G's!". I also like Marge after Homer says that, because she is petrified and yells "OH LORD!"
    Last edited by Charlie; 05-16-2006 at 03:19 PM.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Vogue_Queen

i have not yet seen it, sad as it may seem. I have not seem much of the famous tenth series. I don't think so, anyway.

Actually, the tenth series cant be that famous or I would have seen it.

Thrusting in the Direction Joel Duffman's Avatar

Homer To The Max was a very strong episode. The jokes started right from the beginning and carried all the way until the closing credits (Hootie McBoob?). The scene in the beginning with the TV executives deciding on what kind of show to green-light was hilarious (Badge Patrol?). Homer was decisive and seemed like a "business guy" and that was funny for so many reasons. First of all Mr. Burns can't remember one thing about Homer but when he changed his name Burns wants to be chums with Max Power. Also Max Power doesnt snuggle, you strap yourself and feel the G's! These traits are so out of character for Homer but he was able to change his personality so easily as soon as he changed his name. A classic! A

"My Mom says I'm cool."

very overrated.

C-
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Back but still forgotten

5/5: Pure classic
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

Quote Originally Posted by I_love_potatoes
    i have not yet seen it, sad as it may seem. I have not seem much of the famous tenth series. I don't think so, anyway.

Actually, the tenth series cant be that famous or I would have seen it
    This one's pretty worth seeing. I didn't remember seeing it until I got The Simpsons Forever book four months ago, and even then I only remembered a guy called Homer Simpson as a cop on TV, and also the part of Homer wearing the scarf with the '$' tag in Moe's. (oh, yeah that was also a good bit)

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Over and Underated C+/B-. It's got some really great jokes in it - "A go-kart powerd by my own sense of self-satisfaction" but there not all that good. But at the same time I don't see what's so offensive about the plot or even some of the jokes people complain about.
    Even the clinton has sex with pigs thing doesn't bother me, it doesn't make me laugh but it doesn't bother me.

who's jeremy piven?

Thrusting in the Direction Joel Duffman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mike_donnelly
    who's jeremy piven?

Look Familiar?

Nope.

A somewhat umcomplicated episode. Most of the jokes work well, because of Mike Scully's excellent comedic timing.

4.25/5

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

4/5,but I made a mistake - I gave it 3/5.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

i liked the whole episode except for the ending

One of the best Season 10 episodes 4/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

An episode that feels entirely Scully, but in the good way. The first two acts take a simple premise and manage to squeeze a lot of solid, mindless gags out of it, so kudos to that. Unfortunately, the third act is typical nonsensical tangent. B
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Mmmm, I voted for this but never said why.

I guess it was an okay episode. It sorta never went anywhere but I still enjoyed it a bit.

Actually another good Season 10 episode. Homer to the Max is, save for the very beginning and the very end, a great episode with a substantial amount of humour. Sure, it is a bit of a one-trick pony, but the one-trick works well enough for me really not to care too much. Max Power! Great name, Homer. Also, the go-kart powered by "my own sense of self-satisfaction" thing was good, along with the Bill Clinton parody. Homer's parading of his own name was good too. Also, all of the characters were in good touch.

UPDATE (29/6/2007): I saw this episode recently; it wasn't as great as I thought it was. Most of the third act wasn't as good as I recalled while writing this review, as others have noted. So a B+ then. It is still an above-average episode. Please disregard my vote on the above poll.
    Last edited by DaRick; 06-29-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Banned

3/5 not that great. alright though!

4/5 - One of the better episodes of season 10. Not a classic, but good.

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Some good jokes in the first two acts, but the third act is so abysmally stupid that it ruins the whole affair for me.

P.S. I think you should've had only two options here - "Excellent Show" or "Very Good Show."
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

get confident, stupid!

i gave it a 4, it was pretty enjoyable for me and some parts did make me laugh..
    homer: "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way!"
    bart: "isn't that the wrong way?"
    homer: "yes but... faster."

Saxomaphone!

This is an above average episode of S10, if only because of the Max Power jokes. The go-kart gag was clever and Homer running away from the cop who's trying to mace him is funny, but the ending is indeed stupid. No more stupid than most of the other Scully endings, though. I'll give it a generous 3/5, or C+.

My favorite line:
    "Max Power doesn't abbreviate. Each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe more important! No, as important."
    Homer's Brain: "Oh glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty that is God's creation."
    Homer: "Holy macaroni!"
    My DVD Collection
    TOP 25:
    1. Homer the Heretic
    2. Marge vs. the Monorail
    3. Last Exit to Springfield
    4. Treehouse of Horror V
    5. Cape Feare
    6. Home-Sweet-Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
    7. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    8. Lisa’s First Word
    9. Simpson and Delilah
    10. Lisa’s Sax
    11. $pringfield
    12. 22 Short Films About Springfield
    13. Mr. Plow
    14. Mother Simpson
    15. I Love Lisa
    16. El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    17. Bart of Darkness
    18. A Streetcar Named Marge
    19. You Only Move Twice
    20. Treehouse of Horror VI
    21. Homer’s Enemy
    22. Rosebud
    23. Krusty Gets Kancelled
    24. Bart the Lover
    25. A Fish Called Selma

back in black

It started as a relatively enjoyable episode with some good meta-references to Homer Simpson, but as soon as Judge Snyder declares "Court fines in favour of 'Police Cops'", the episode takes a downfall. The plot of Homer changing his name is as dumb as just about any other of Homer's crazy schemes, even for season 10 - and I don't blame Homer for his reaction when the plot switches to saving the trees. From this point on, the episode was so bad that that "Hootie McBoob" joke at the end was actually an improvement. The balance of some of the best 11 minutes of Season 10 and some of the worst 11 averages to about a 2/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

3/5

Until rewatching it recently, I had no memory whatsoever of the lame, disconnected environmentalism angle. My mental summary went "Police Cops - name change - garden party - ??? - Profit! - Hootie McBoob."

Yep, awful ending (which I'll have to rant about at length sometime), but at least the "Police Cops" stuff was golden.
    Simpsons music unavailable on CD:

Burns Verkaufen... - The Land of Chocolate (no overlapping dialogue) - 0.9 MB
    Lisa's Sax - Baker Street - 0.9 MB
    Trash of the Titans - The Garbageman Can (including U2 cameo) - 1.8 MB
    Springfield Up - Satan You're My Lady - 1.4 MB
    That '90s Show - Margerine - 1 MB

Bump.

I recently saw this episode, and, having seen no Scully eps (save a few) up to that point, I was thinking, 'So this is why people hate the Scully era.' So I'm pretty baffled to find how many people find it enjoyable. I guess I'm going to be pretty let down when I get a chance to view s11 episodes.

Anyway, I thought the episode was terrible. This episode showed me what people mean by 'jerkass' Homer. I mean, I couldn't stand him. I mean, he was just so obnoxious, so proud of himself because of a stupid TV appearance, and then urged to change his name because of another stupid TV appearance. And I hate how the SNPP coworkers were even stupider than usual. I mean, I don't find it funny that people are dumb enough to think that Homer actually behaves like his TV counterpart. I find it stupid. And Homer's behavior was so ridiculous. So overly proud of his name, getting his scarf caught on a fan, repeatedly walking into a cactus (that's not funny, that's painful), and whining about helping the redwoods right after getting a chance to be a member of high society. And Bill Clinton was not funny at all. This episode is easily a 1/5, and has made its way into my bottom 5. Surely, that list will expand once I see more Scully episodes.

has a smack of ham to him. kid_presentable's Avatar

Wow. I can't believe so many of you hate this episode. I mean it's not the greatest episode ever, but it's a solid 4/5. Your reasoning also sort of makes me wonder how you can enjoy the show at all. It seems that if the unbelievability of Homer's actions causes you to dislike the show that much, you couldn't really like anything after like season 4 or 5. The show has been zany and Homer has been unrealistically stupid for longer than not, and personally I just don't understand how that can be such a factor in your disapproval. No offense to anyone, and I don't really want to argue about it, I just think maybe you're reading too much into things at the cost of your enjoyment of the show in general.

Choke on your lies!!!

^I just can't find Homer acting excessively like an obnoxious jerk while embarking on ridiculous nonsensical schemes funny. Homer isn't annoying in s5-8; he's just how Homer should be; a mix of jerkiness, innocence, stupidity, laziness, but subconsciously a nice person. Here, all we get is jerkiness and stupidity, abandoning the good side of Homer for obnoxious jerkassness. I never said I had a problem with Homer being unrealistically stupid. I have a problem with him being an annoying jerk for the sake of being an annoying jerk, with absolutely none of the cleverness or likability of the classic era. I mean, in Homer's Enemy, Homer's annoying, but at least he means well. In Lisa's Rival, Homer embarks on a crazy scheme, but it's more of a ridiculous fun moneymaking scheme born out of absurdity , whereas here, Homer embarks on a ridiculous scheme, because, out of his obnoxious nature, decides that he doesn't like being named after a similar TV character, so because of one minor overplayed scenario, he blows it to mass proportions and tramps around whining until getting his name changed. And then when things look up for Homer, he instantly amplifies his rudeness and keeps whining throughout the entire third act. He's just a whiny annoying jerk, whom I just can't bring myself to laugh at. Nowhere in s4-8, has Homer been so loud, obnoxious, rude, and whiny. It's like he loses his lovable ignorance and happiness, his stupidity even, just to turn into a hateful monster.

I don't see him as hateful, I think we probably could have done without the implication that he would leave Marge for Debbie Pinson, but other than that I didn't find him all that distasteful. I think it may just depend on what your definition of "lovable" is. I thought it was kind of cute and lovable that Homer was so excited to have made friends with Troy (I think...the guy who eats thai food) that he thought he had to eat nothing but Thai food. Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I enjoy this episode thoroughly.

I found it completely hateful that he interrupted a man who had the idea to help redwood trees because he found the idea boring, even though it was an incredible privilege of him to even be in such a man's presence. I found it selfish that he was so consumed with his name that he felt he needed to sing about it to let the world know how great he was. Etc. Etc. But yeah, we shouldn't argue. I respect your opinion as well.

See, and I find that totally in character for Homer. I think someone like that would find the idea of saving the redwoods boring. While it is a bit rude of him to interrupt, it is understandable in the context of the character. I don't think that Homer had any special privilege being there. What makes Troy so great? And the part where he sings, I view another way also, I see it as kind of lovable that he's so excited about it that he sings to himself he doesn't have an audience, remember. But yah. Just different philosophies we have about Homer I guess. I do see some of your points though, and I think his "jerkass-i-ness" could be cut back a bit too.

Thread Information