View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

23 10.70%
  • 4/5

76 35.35%
  • 3/5

68 31.63%
  • 2/5

29 13.49%
  • 1/5

19 8.84%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Regarding Margie" (HABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Regarding Margie" (HABF13)

After a spring-cleaning frenzy and inhaling too many fumes, Marge suffers from retrograde amnesia. In an effort to bring back her memory, Homer takes her around town to re-familiarize her with her surroundings. Marge still has no recollection of who Homer is and puts herself back on the singles market. Not until she realizes that Homer is truly genuine at heart will she remember who he is and why she loves him.

Raggin' On Your Cord

Mediocre at best

Considering the fertility of the plot, they really only used about half its potential. More thoughts later.

3/5
    Signature.

4/5. As someone below me mentions "We were quintuplits, but three of us drowned", and "Chief, you said you weighed only 180 pounds" were great parts of the episode. Also, Marge's "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...aaaaa?" had me laughing. It was fabulous. The three photos from the album were nice, as was Duffman's appearance.
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-23-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, just like most of Season 17, it wasn't horrid, but it was interesting enough to keep my interest. The whole amnesia angle wasn't the most innovative idea, and the only real 'twist' was the guy's brothers who Marge almost fell for.

Overall, meh: 3/5, (C+)

BTW, best Patty and Selma line in a while:
    "Your brain is trying to save you from a backed-up toilet of a marrige!"

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    Also, after watching the re-run of ""We're On The Road To Doh'where" I'd like to change my grade from 5/5 to 3.5/5. I don't know what I was thinking.
    NOTE: I'll edit more thoughts in later.
    Heh-heh...overrated messes will do that...

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

This was a very enjoyable episode. Not one of the season's best, but a fair storyline and some really great jokes. The chalkboard gag was also awesome.
    4/5
    [SIZE=1]

I loved Homer's characterization in this episode. The prank that Bart and Nelson was playing was pretty good and was a more clever prank than Bart's pulled in a while. Outside of that, I didn't like the episode. The plot wasn't a very good idea to begin with, and the writers didn't do anything special with it. Marge's characterization wasn't that good either, I know she didn't know who Homer was, but I really doubt that she would have gone on dates before she was divorced, and she didn't think about the kids. There were some chuckles, but there really wasn't enough to compensate for the plot and Marge. Once again, I was puzzled as to where Maggie was when they were in the hospital. C-

I loved the joke about the 74 A's. That was also a perfect example of how to use cameos properly

Alright, here's what was lazy about the episode:

- Amnesia's effect on Marge: If Marge can't remember her family at all, I would have thought the best area to explore would have been her own personality alteration. Her amnesia-self was basically a boring version of herself, trying to figure out where she left off. That's all well and good, but at the same time, shouldn't she revert to a personality of herself closer to how she was when she was younger? Idealistic, smart, outgoing, etc.. I dunno, I just felt the episode had too much to do with other characters' interactions with her and not enough to do with her own self - personality and confusion.

- The set-up: Cleaning up as the cause is fine, but everything leading up to that was trivial (the stolen mail, spray-painting the curb) and forgotten once the amnesia bit started. Marge's notion that nannies are Irish bitches was a little confusing to me too.

- The cue to remember Homer: beer? I don't see why that's of much more importance than any of his other attributes. Kind of strange and sudden choice.

Still, there were some amusing moments, such as the speed dating scene and Moe frolicking in a fountain of waste, but the episode didn't have to wind up so bland.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

I remember someone freaking out about this episode because of this amnesia plot. It is a very bad tv cliche and i cringed when I found out that this would be that episode. But they seemed to take a more unique take on the plot. More than anything, the episode felt a lot like a Frank Grimes kinda "How would a stranger react to Springfield" episode.

I liked how it had such a realistic ending. The first act felt really fast paced, but nothing to cringe at. The gags could have been better throughout the episode, but I was constiantly amazed by how much of a fanservice it all was. Almost every line was digging deep into the Simpsons history. Excellent character work, and some amusing meta moments.

4/5

Now maybe a couple(at best) of you remember I used to post reviews(haha, pun intended), but recently I have been bogged down with a huge load of work, personal issues and such so finding time to watch Simpsons has been hard enough, but every night i have tuned in, but not had enough time to review an episode. However, I made sure to carve out sometime tonight to post a small review just because I miss sharing my opinion of the episode. So here it is:

My Two Cents:
    Wow, this episode was definately very dissapointing. As the plot was already one I'm not usually fond of seeing on tv shows, it made it even worse that they decided to blend in some crappy homer-marge marriage troubles*. I was hoping maybe the contrived, cliche plot would spawn, a sweet relationship episode, where Homer shows Marge what a great couple they were, and we would get a great character study for both of them. In act two(argueably the best act of the episode) it seemed like it was playing out that way, but by the end of it, it turned out to be another stupid, if she hates him this much, why don't they just fucking divorce episode.

However, It was not a completely terrible episode. It did have one major thing going for it that is a nessecity to the comedy genre, it was funny. One of the first incredibly funny episode we have seen since march. This brings the episodes rating up enough to not be a horrible episode, but I still can't give it a high enough grade to deem it "good." I am frankly sick and tired of seeing this overused marriage troubles plot, and that made the third act irritate me. Oh and, just because I am anal, the show loses half a point for having that annoying Homer moan again(ruining the joke about knowing Flander's cat's birthday). Anyway, it was a funny episode, that just fell so short because it was so badly plotted.

FINAL SCORE: 5/10

P.S. May I just say, finally a good use of cheif wiggum. They actually made a funny appearance for once and the exchange was hilarious.

*Incidently, I have a theory on why Al Jean keeps doing this episodes. I think he has a stock pile of marriage on the rocks jokes to put into episodes in his office, literally a box full of scribbled one liners filling thousands of sheets of loose leaf, and everytime they get bogged down on a plot, Al Jean springs a light bulb over his head. If we do another episode with homer and marge marriage troubles, I can use more of my semi-relevant one liners, al thought. And so game the marriage troubles episodes. Either that, or he is purposely trying to alienate the internet community because he is tired of working on the Simpsons, but he made a secret contractual agreement that he would work on the show until it was over or he died, whichever came first. Either way, take your pick, I like both of my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I agree with what most of Tomacco said, and that the episode didn't live up to its potential. However, it was peppered with enough funny bits and scattered charming moments to not be a failure.

Homer's characterization was endearing, but I agree that Marge herself just seemed "along for the ride," rather than being truly actively involved in the story. Her remembering everyone in Springfield outside of Homer was an intriguing story choice, but the memory trigger (beer) was an underwhelming payoff. At least Homer's dialogue in the climax was satisfying (and his response to Marge having three kids).

There were enough good scenes to keep this one afloat (I dug Homer's "rationalizing" scene, as well as Patty and Selma's roles), but I was sadly underwhelmed after hoping they'd take this one running.

B-/C+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Another thing that the Bundys beat The Simpsons to.

The story they gave us was pretty solid. Not too many bad jokes, and they stayed on target most of the time. They probably could've made more out of Marge not remembering Homer, as they had more than enough material to go by.

Homer hasn't been saying "D'oh!" a lot these days. That, to me, would've been all it took for Marge to remember her husband.

Good episode, but they should've made a more climactic Act III. They should've returned to the mail fraud/house cleaning situation, which is what led up to Marge's amnesia in the first place.

4.25/5

Also known as ametur_poet. lisalover1's Avatar

Nowhere NEAR as good as Girls just want to have sums! This episode was better than so-so, but not great. Not good, just a teensy bit better than good. "Cheif, you said you only weighed 180 pounds!" Was my favorite line.
    Greatest Episode Ever: Summer of the 4"2! 1st Runner-up: 'Round Springfield, 2nd Runner-up: Homer's Triple Bypass

I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Homer Mad Homer Smash

Amnesia storylines in scripts typically are used as flashbacks to the past, as the character with the illness remembers bits and pieces of his or her life. By screenwriters, these types of storylines are usually considered puff and fluff filler pieces, because someone dropped the ball and didn't consider the episode's role in the overal schedule of the program. SO, these flashbacks are used as filler.

Tonight's episode wasn't fluff and puff piece, as no flashbacks were used. Instead of using flashbacks, Homer takes Marge on a tour around town, showing her where they have spent some of his memorable moments together. I thought that was a really nice, soft and warm touch. It was a rare and enjoyable look into Homer's character, showing us (and Marge) those special moments within Homer's heart.

The plot should have been developed deeper, to go into Homer's heart -- as this would have taken the storyline in a different and probably more intense route. But instead the focus was on Homer trying to woo back Marge.

Marge's recognizing of Homer in the end was cheesy and not one of Homer's most likely character traits. I kept expecting Homer to go "MMMmmm donuts. . ." or something else along those lines, or even "D'Oh!" and these key catch-phrases should have been the wakeup call to Marge's memory.

The funniest bit I thought was the tree -- where Lisa and Bart are up in a tree, then on the next branch is Homer, and then Wiggum and his cronies. This bit was the best. Honorable mention to the twin brothers as they also funny character spoofs.

Overal, I liked the episode, though found the plot really needed to be developed better and should have focused more on Homer's memories.

I gave this a 4/5.
    OfficerWriter

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    Homer hasn't been saying "D'oh!" a lot these days. That, to me, would've been all it took for Marge to remember her husband.
    Sorry, I would have found that to be eye-rollingly predictable. In fact I was keeping my fingers crossed that they wouldn't do that the whole episode.

I don't know why people complain "another marriage on the rocks ep!"
    People only started up on that on the season opener, and if the episode hadn't of sucked, no one would would have even thought of making such a big deal. Homer and Marge's marriage is a huge part of the show I've never had a problem with them adressing it. It keeps the show in a reality check, as oppsed to Peter Griffin laughing at his wife falling off the roof without any consequences.

Junior Camper

Sadly, I did not get to see Girls Just Want to Have Sums last week, the munchies and Krystal were calling. Anyway, it was kind of a bummer afterwords when I realized that it was the first time since 2001 that I missed a new episode.

I actually enjoyed this episode despite what people seem to be saying about it. I was in the right mood, and it was fun entertainment.
    Willie:
    I'm so drunk I can barely see
    But it helps me get through another day
    My stomach is filled with haggas and baght
    I've got to go puke in some hay

The President Wore Pearls
    Season 15

I didn't mind the fact that there was going to be an amnesia plot and I actually liked this episode. I wish, however, that a lot of things were changed. Homer was always a strange marriage choice for Marge as she could have anyone better. This episode could have been used as a way to somewhat explore that choice. Also, the using 'beer' for Marge to remember everything was immensely stupid. Homer's speech to her date at the end was excellent, and I was almost sure the episode would end well: Marge remembering Homer based on his speech. When that didn't happen and she decided to go with Homer, I would have chosen for them to return to the golf course, instead of doing this earlier in the episode. I think they handled the plot better than a typical amnesia plot, and the episode was very funny. Homer's characterization was great and I felt a lot of sympathy in this episode, but Marge's characterization and the ending nearly ruined it. B-/C+.

I thought this was really good especially for a new episode. I would rate it a 5/5 out of new episodes but as the whole series a 4/5.
    King of the Hill
    Beavis and Butthead
    The Artist Formally Known As Michael Bolton

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado
    Record List
    Best Simpsons Episode Ever = Lemon of Troy

Greek Townee

2.5/5
    Come on, amnesia. I'd rather see them reuse an old plot have a character with amnesia. It's cliched. Also have characters going 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaa' has lost its edge. A major step down from last week. Some decent jokes though. 'We were quintuplets but three of us drowned'
    I was looking at the ceiling and then I saw the sky.

Pretty dull, but it had its moments. 3/5. I'm glad the cliché plot wasn't handled in a cliché way.

And now for a slightly OT rant:
    What pisses me off about the new episodes the most is the voice acting. I really missed Homer's classic seasons voice. It just makes the show funnier as a whole.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    Sorry, I would have found that to be eye-rollingly predictable. In fact I was keeping my fingers crossed that they wouldn't do that the whole episode.

I don't know why people complain "another marriage on the rocks ep!"
    People only started up on that on the season opener, and if the episode hadn't of sucked, no one would would have even thought of making such a big deal. Homer and Marge's marriage is a huge part of the show I've never had a problem with them adressing it. It keeps the show in a reality check, as oppsed to Peter Griffin laughing at his wife falling off the roof without any consequences.
    I don't think this would be so much a problem with everyone if Homer wasn't thrown out of the house. Also it is retreding incredibly old ground. I don't know if it is just because my parents don't fight very much, but it just, after awhile, doesn't seem believable these two would stay together. Also, maybe once or twice, but I doubt many, if any, people's parents on this board have seperated more than five times. It is just getting old, and even if it was completely realistic, it is boring to see the same thing over and over again. I know this is an awful example, but if Jack Bauer had to torture a prisoner three times in one season, it would lose it's pizazz the third time around, and not be a very exciting episode. Also, I am pretty sure people were complaining before this season, but I can't be sure, I wasn't a very active member before this summer.

I liked this Episode. I'm so addicted to this show that it doesn't have to be Ha Ha funny. If I find a certain episode merely pleasant to watch. Then thats Ok also.
    As for the Amnesia scare amongst die hard critics, I remember Tony Millionaire of the comic strip "Maakies" said, stooping to doing "Lil" version of your main characters was a sure fire way to tell your running out of ideas. And I never mind those young Homer & Marge eps either 5/5
    Last edited by Gatorgod; 05-07-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Schweeet cakes!

I gave this episode a 4/5.

It was a good episode, with a lot of funny bits like:
    - Bart's prank
    - Chief Wiggum and the other cops in the tree
    - the brothers at the speed dating place who resemble Patty & Selma

I particularly liked Homer's characterization. I found him very heartfelt and I was hoping throughout the episode that he'd get Marge back to her old self (which is what happened anyway, although predictable, coz let's face it: Homer and Marge are never gonna split!)

One part I didn't like was the ending. Marge associating Homer with beer right at the end seemed so abrupt. I wouldn't mind if she remembered him by a "D'oh," although that would be kinda predictable.

Bart's chalkboard gag at the beginning ('I will not leak the plot of the movie' or something like that) was a LOL moment for me.

Not as good as last week's "Girls Just Want To Have Sums" but still good!

Quote Originally Posted by MattG_Fan
    I don't think this would be so much a problem with everyone if Homer wasn't thrown out of the house. Also it is retreding incredibly old ground. I don't know if it is just because my parents don't fight very much, but it just, after awhile, doesn't seem believable these two would stay together. Also, maybe once or twice, but I doubt many, if any, people's parents on this board have seperated more than five times. It is just getting old, and even if it was completely realistic, it is boring to see the same thing over and over again. I know this is an awful example, but if Jack Bauer had to torture a prisoner three times in one season, it would lose it's pizazz the third time around, and not be a very exciting episode. Also, I am pretty sure people were complaining before this season, but I can't be sure, I wasn't a very active member before this summer.
    People complained before. It just sort of came to a head with "Bonfire" because it was especcially clear from that plotline just how cliche these plots had gotten. Not to mention "Milhouse of Sand and Fog" coming so soon after it, when people were already sick to death of these.

Anyway, I griped before about this show doing an amnesia plot at all, and I stand by what I said. That said, this was decent and better than it probably should have been. However, I'm going to have to repeat myself for the thousandth time this season and say that this was an episode that had better humor (including some really great moments like the "why did I have to kill her?" guy) than plot. Homer was endearing and really well written, but as has been said, it felt like Marge was just along for the ride, and there wasn't much introspection on her part regarding her situation. Considering she knew she was married to Homer, you think she'd take a more active role in trying to learn about who he is and why she married him. And it seemed like other characters sort of pushed her along from plot point to plot point, without anything being developed enough to be interesting. It wasn't as cliche as it could have been, and I thought some moments with Homer were sort of sweet and/or sad, but on the whole it felt like the plotline didn't really go anywhere or explore the relationship as well as it could have. It just felt like it was on autopilot.

In short, this is pretty much the same as most of season 17. C+/B

PS, anyone find it a little odd when it was revealed that the golf-course conception was their first time? I'd always assumed they were already....ya know...going at it, but just happened to be more reckless that night. That's not a complaint or anything though.
    Last edited by DotheBartman; 05-07-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Can I have a writer/director if anyone noticed?

marc wilmore wrote it, not sure about director

I will say two things that I really wish weren't in the ep were...

1) Marge being rather turned off by Homer at the hospital. I always thought she was physically attracted to him.

2) The driving drunk gag. I'm sorry. That's my one "no laughing matter" limit. Usually these gags lead to consequences, or are part of a bigger joke so they don't bother me; but I thought it was a tasteless gag to go out on.

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    I will say two things that I really wish weren't in the ep were...

1) Marge being rather turned off by Homer at the hospital. I always thought she was physically attracted to him.

2) The driving drunk gag. I'm sorry. That's my one "no laughing matter" limit. Usually these gags lead to consequences, or are part of a bigger joke so they don't bother me; but I thought it was a tasteless gag to go out on.
    Agreed.

Also, don't ask me why, because I have no idea, but for some reason, tonight when they had Homer strangling Bart it seemed very disturbing. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the fact is it is very absurd on a cartoon, and no one pointing it out, makes it even more absurd, but with Marge saying outright, "you strangle your children?" Followed by Bart saying, "it hurts to swallow," kind of disturbed me. Maybe it was just me, but this strangling seemed slightly, but only slightly, disturbing this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG_Fan
    Agreed.

Also, don't ask me why, because I have no idea, but for some reason, tonight when they had Homer strangling Bart it seemed very disturbing. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the fact is it is very absurd on a cartoon, and no one pointing it out, makes it even more absurd, but with Marge saying outright, "you strangle your children?" Followed by Bart saying, "it hurts to swallow," kind of disturbed me. Maybe it was just me, but this strangling seemed slightly, but only slightly, disturbing this time around.
    Double agreed on what "That jerk" said.
    I thought it is funny how Homer strangled Bart. What Marge said just adds to the hilarity of child abuse in the Simpson home.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

5/5 It kept me laughing. There's me beating up current president bush.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Thread Information