View Poll Results: How would you rate HABF12?

Voters
477. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

228 47.80%
  • 4/5

145 30.40%
  • 3/5

72 15.09%
  • 2/5

18 3.77%
  • 1/5

14 2.94%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Girls Just Want To Have Sums (HABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

5/5!! Cool Ep! The Itchy & Scratchy Musical was funny *cant wait to see the movie version* ..My best Laff was when Homer ended up in the Dog house.

4/5. I'm going to give it that score. Fairly strong episode, some good jokes. I liked the Homer-doghouse joke, the "27!" joke, and Bart's "heehehe.... Toilet.".

However, it was not without it's flaws. I really hated Skinner being poisened by squirrels, that scene could have ended right when Willie ordered him to poison THEM. There was other lame things in the show too. Not much was laugh-out-loud funny too.

I have to give them credit though, for at the very least trying to write a story. They did a pretty nice job with the structure and pacing.

Jean: "Hmm.... Everything looks in order..... OH! WAIT!! WE FORGOT TO ADD A MUSIC MONTAGE!!! *sigh* Ah, there we go. "

Junior Camper

"Even though you're just 8, your possibilities are infinite!"
    "TWENTY-SEVEN!"

LOL

5/5 I laughed a lot When homer gets put out in the doghouse.....perfect

Galalimit

Forget it
    Last edited by Galalimit; 04-30-2006 at 04:54 PM.

I'm not sure HOW Skinner could've believed that women were inferior in math. You'd think after comparing Bart and Lisa's grades for so many years, he would know better.

It was basically that inconsistency, and a few bad jokes that brings the episode down a bit. This episode had its laughs, particularly with Homer getting in trouble with Marge (something they haven't been able to pull off in a long time), but there were just a lot of things about the differences between male and female ethics that were totally confusing; the boys lived in an unstructred environment, yet they were taught real math, and vice-versa for the girls. But the ambiguous ending may very well have been the whole point of the story.

3.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    I really hated Skinner being poisened by squirrels, that scene could have ended right when Willy ordered him to poison THEM.
    That's been their problem, habit rather, with jokes for quite a while. They diminish it by stretching it too far.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Jean: "Hmm.... Everything looks in order..... OH! WAIT!! WE FORGOT TO ADD A MUSIC MONTAGE!!! *sigh* Ah, there we go. "
    Yes
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Since when did Skinner get that sexist? The whole plot kinda came out of nowhere.

And what was up with that random 27?
    Maybe these are rhetorical questions, but oh well . I thought this worked for Skinner because he doesn't hate girls. In fact he didn't know he was sexist until they pointed it out. This might've been the first chance for this to "come out"

The 27 thing was a joke and probably the biggest laugh in the episode for me, but explaining the joke would ruin it.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

I had no real expectations for this episode, and was pleasantly surprised by how good every part was. The writing team did a fantastic job with it, as did the animators, since this was a beautiful episode as well as a funny one. Once I saw how perfect the Lion King parody opening was, I knew I was in for something special. I was impressed by the beautiful girls' side design, and the music throughout the show was chosen well, too. 4/5.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04-30-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Homer Mad Homer Smash

I really liked the Disney-type Lion King spoof they did with the I&S play. The songs weren't the greatest, but they were perfectly created to spoof the Lion King and other Disney musicals.

The way Skinner kept digging himself into a hole with his sexist comments was somewhat typical and expected. Though the rest of the plot line was really well done -- even though it was steriotypical (boys being aggressive and girls not).

There was no resolution between Marge and Homer. And we never learned if Skinner gets to go back as principle.

Overal good -- not great -- just good. 3/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The "Itchy/King" parody was one of the best musical numbers in a very long time, possibly only being topped with "Streetcar" and "Planet of the Apes". Anyway, like a few other posters said, this was the best episode of the season, but the half-assed, After School Special ending landed it a mostly-well-earned 4/5.

Jake

EDIT: Hey Admins! Turn off the damn guest voting! Otherwise, it's making me think GatorGod's ilk are rigging the numbers!
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 04-30-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Yeah? 82 5/5?! Come on, people.

Btw, I think that the Planet of the Apes was the best musical they've EVER done on the Simpsons. It's so good that in the commentary they even say that it could actually be a musical.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    Maybe these are rhetorical questions, but oh well . I thought this worked for Skinner because he doesn't hate girls. In fact he didn't know he was sexist until they pointed it out. This might've been the first chance for this to "come out"
    Well, yeah, he doesn't hate girls... I just didn't see where this bias came from exactly, especially with outspoken Lisa at his school. We'd never seen any real precursor to it, so it must've been his "coming out" episode. In more ways than one.

The 27 thing was a joke and probably the biggest laugh in the episode for me, but explaining the joke would ruin it.
    Now that question was rhetorical. I enjoyed it immensely.

27!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Turn off the damn guest voting! Otherwise, it's making me think GatorGod's ilk are rigging the numbers!
    Leave it ON! ...I like Elk and their Numbers!

The Triple G Man

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerWriter
    Though the rest of the plot line was really well done -- even though it was steriotypical (boys being aggressive and girls not).
    Wasn't that the point?

Quote Originally Posted by barfly
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183495.stm

not as quick as south park, but they're at least keeping up with current events
    Nothing's as fast as South Park. They churn out episodes in under a week.

He's still alive / Romero

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man
    Was that music, that kept being played when Lisa went over to the boys' side, from somewhere?
    I think the music might have been from Escape From New York. The sample of track five sounds like it could be it. It would explain all the flaming wreckage, anyway. I am a pathetic loser for wasting my time to figure that out. If I'm wrong, that makes it all the worse.

Schweeet cakes!

Excellent episode! 5/5

I really liked the scene with the talking numbers / math signs ("infinite" and "27") and Lisa hitting Martin with a chair at the end.

Since these haven't been resolved, I'm just left to wonder...
    1) Will Springfield Elementary ever become coed again?
    2) Will Skinner ever become principal again, or stay Assistant Groundskeeper?

Also, was happened during the end credits? Looked like something was gonna happen (voiceover or song) but then Global (in Canada) cut that out! Stupid Global!

Here's a wild guess, but was the joke "27" supposed to be in reference to The Simpsons Movie coming out on July 27th, 2007? Maybe they put that in there to remind us...

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I think 27 just sounded right.

Greek Townee

5/5. The best episode of season 17..or 16 for that matter.
    I was looking at the ceiling and then I saw the sky.

One of the better episodes this season I'd say. I did think that in some ways the topic could have been handled better, and Skinner's blurting out sexist comments at the play seemed a little awkward in a way I don't think they intended; it just seemed like they were forcing these things into his mouth instead of having them be more natural (though with that said, the scene at the school shortly after where he struggles to say the right thing was very funny and well observed). Still, there were a lot of good observations about the debate and the story was fairly interesting, if maybe a little too brief. In particular the extremeness of the seperation was well handled and funny (I loved the "hall monitor" guards), and that the plotline wasn't too heavy handed in either direction, showing the hypocrisy and ridiculousness that comes from people on all sides of the issue. And Marge's line about how "now I can't do all the calculus I've encountered in my daily life" was particularly hilarious to me since it describes my feelings perfectly (I've always felt that algebra and calculus and such are the kind of things that should be made available, but shouldn't have have to be part of everyone's educational path in order to be successful). There were some groaners here and there, but for the most part the episode was funny with some great moments (loved the Itchy and Scratchy play), and basically the plot was interesting if just a little abrupt and underdeveloped in some ways. The music montages and "Homer and Marge make cheesy sexual innuendo" jokes really need to stop though. Having them in every episode is making them get old faster than "Oh my god! They've killed Kenny!". B+

DYN:

-Marge's old femist high school friend (from "The Way We Was") appears at the protesting and the diversity seminar? She appeared protesting Homer in "Homer: Badman" as well, so they probably repeated a lot of the models from those scenes.
    -One of the original "weasel" henchmen from "Bart the General" appears to give Nelson a hand before he beats up Lisa?
    -The "Albanians enter in back" sign at the school? (I guess they're wary to repeat an Adil situation)
    Last edited by DotheBartman; 04-30-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

27 was just meant to be a random number, although carefully random.

Junior Camper

Good episode lots of jokes. Wish I have seen the Lion King but the first act was still funny. Homer ending up on the couch and then the dog house later on was also very funny.

5/5 Very funny episode

9/10
    This is the first new episode I've watched in a while and I must say I really enjoyed it. I've always liked the episodes that focused on the kids of Springfield and this was no exception. The jokes were great. Although I've never seen the lion king play, i got the parody and thought it was pretty good. Also, Yeardley Smith did a great job with Lisa's "boy" voice too. I thought this was the best episode i've seen a while (but like said before, I haven't seen a new episodes lately)
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

It's 4 am in the morning so I'll write a proper review tomorrow, but for now....well there was a 5 minute period, somewhere around the end of act 1 and the beginning of act 2, where I thought it was going to be great. But the beginning was only ok, and once the plot started getting bogged down in Lisa proving herself to be a boy I pretty much lost interest, I thought there was very little of value in that whole plot strand. Bad bad ending too, her speech was horrible. Some better jokes than I've become accustomed to this season, and it was pleasing that they tried to write a coherent episode, but still really too problematic for me to be entirely happy.

C+

One more thing, did anyone notice how bad Homer's tears were at the beginning? It was like a lake streaming out of his eyes. Otherwise the direction was generally very good.

87.44% gave this episode a 4 or 5 out of 5?

Really?!

i couldn't stop laughing during the last act. solid episode. 27!

4/5

Wow! It definitely lived up to my expectations. I'd say 9/10 instead of 10/10 because it did have a few clunkers. I really didn't like the penis joke. It was bad enough without the frog saying "I thought he was talking about his penis". Also, the Marge/Homer subplot was never resolved, and Skinner was never reinstated as principal.

But all of these problems were nominal, compared to all the great jokes in the episode. So it gets a 9/10. or 4.5/5, or 5/5 on the poll.

And will someone please explain the 27 joke?

EDIT: never mind, I get that it was just supposed to be random. that's what I thought when I first saw it, but I thought from the way people were talking about it that it had some deeper meaning...oh well.
    Last edited by bluemoose; 04-30-2006 at 08:57 PM.
    deuces on the ride

I liked this one, 5/5. Full review after I download it.

27!!!

Junior Camper

Solid episode. It's my favorite of the season so far, though I still only gave it a 3/5. That's cause I think it's unfair to grade the classics and the moderns on a different scale. Still 3/5 is pretty good and quite enjoyable. The only thing I really didn't like was the penis joke. Do people actually think penis jokes are funny?

Bring Back Oakley and Weinstein!

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I didn't think much of it when I first heard about it, and while it's not my favorite of the year so far, it was quite good. The first act was probably the best. I was afraid that the musical would be a pointless throw-away plot, but the music, lyrics, and jokes were executed very well, and the direction made things a treat to look at. It was nice that it didn't overstay it's welcome and found a way to tie in with the actual plot. Skinner was pretty funny as well for the most part, though the poison gag was pretty predictable and unnecessary. Frances McDormand did a nice job with her performance, though her role was a bit thin. The second act seemed to falter a little bit since I was hoping to get more development on how different the female classes and the male classes were different, but it moved too quickly. I liked that Marge got involved with Lisa's decision, but I was disappointed that she didn't do a whole lot else afterwards, and that most of her support was turned over to Bart. The humor wasn't bad overall, with the exception of Homer sleeping on the couch being repeated (in fact, the entire conversation he had with Marge in bed seemed very out-of-place and gratuitously thrown in), and yet again we got another pop music montage moment. The resolution failed to impress me, since it seemed to lack feeling or drama, and very little seems resolved by the end. I liked Lisa interacting with the other boys and Bart, but it too seemed to be developed too quickly. This episode wasn't without it's flaws, and maybe I am being too generous, but the humor and direction really impressed me overall, so I'm giving this a 4/5.

Thread Information