View Poll Results: How would you rate HABF12?

Voters
501. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

246 49.10%
  • 4/5

146 29.14%
  • 3/5

74 14.77%
  • 2/5

20 3.99%
  • 1/5

15 2.99%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Girls Just Want To Have Sums (HABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review Girls Just Want To Have Sums (HABF12)

Springfield is in an uproar after Principal Skinner makes a sexist comment at the end of an Itchy and Scratchy musical. Principal Skinner is replaced by Melanie Upfoot (Frances McDormand), a women's educational expert, who decides to divide the school into two different schools: one for boys, and one for girls. Studious Lisa soon becomes frustrated when she isn't learning anything from "girls' school." When the Principal refuses to allow her to take math at the boys' school, Lisa decides to dress up as a boy. While Bart teaches her the ropes of boyhood, Lisa wins the math award at the Student Achievement Awards and learns what it's really like to be a part of the "boys' club.

Preview/Speculation thread

Stonecutter

Excellent episode! 5/5

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

It wasn't without it's charms...

Some slight problems, but nothing major. The I&S musical went on too long and wasn't very funny, nor were the songs sung within memorable.

There wasn't any resolution on the Homer/Marge subplot. I would have liked to see something, but it probably would have been "You're even smarter than the day I married you" type stuff, so perhaps it's better that it was left with him in the literal doghouse.

But yeah, really good. 5/5
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

wow.....super funny...and super great episode 5/5

(loved the lion king spoof...especially since i saw the play)

The Good Lookin' Guy

The Itchy & Scratchy Musical was awesome.

Raggin' On Your Cord

Great plot, but no laugh out loud jokes. Still one of the better episodes this season.

Junior Camper

5/5 One of the best Simpsons episodes I've seen in a loooong time. I laughed at every joke.

My favorite is when Marge talked about her inability to do calculus related problems in everyday life, lmao!
    Lost Airs Wed. 10/9c on ABC!

Lisa is a nut, she has a rubber butt, every time she turns around it goes putt-putt!

Great episode, besides the penis joke. Woulda been much more funny without the subtitles.

4/5. Needed a few more laughs.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

This was a nice episode that felt like it could've been sitcommy, but avoided being predictable. About half of the gags worked, and the half that didn't mostly didn't work because the pacing was too fast. I think this episode noticeably suffered from time constraints. Overall, pretty enjoyable, and the animation seems to keep getting better.

B+
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

5/5 I thouroughly enjoyed watching. Skinner was very funny. Itchy and Scratchy musical parodying Lion King and Jesus Christ Super Star was awesome. The penis joke I found funny, and Ralph was great (as good as he was in 'I Love Lisa').
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-23-2006 at 05:05 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Junior Camper

Pretty good. Some nice jokes and social commentary.

Junior Camper

It was an OK episode. It had a couple funny moments (squirl poison, Marge's inability to do the calculus in her daily life, "chair fight").
    One things in particular I didnt like was the opening Ichy and Scratchy play which was not funny and went on way too long I think.

3/5

Wow, what a great episode! This is deffinitely one of the top ones of season 17. A terrific new idea that The Simpsons hasn't done before, and it had some of the best humor this season. I seriously don't recall a single part where a joke just fell flat. The Itchy & Scratch movie was hilarious, as was Lisa trying to be a boy. Ralph also had the best line he's has in a long long time (itchy dots), since most of the writing for him lately is just lame. Terrific episode, terrific direction, and great voicework by Yeardley Smith.
    5/5
    [SIZE=1]

Great episode. I loved the first act with the Lion King parody, although it would have been a little better if they had just focused on the parody and not had as much with the Simpsons in the audience. I loved the girls school, and the boys school was even better. The ending was ok, although Lisa's speech was a little preachy. I loved the ending with Martin. A-

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Oh yeah, I thought Marge being desperate to not get chosen in the play was great writing for her.

Everything in this episode worked, except the unresolved ending, but I guess we should be use to "things go back to normal next time anyways" endings. The emotional aspects of the episode worked well too. I loved Marge's reaction when the animals went down the aisle, because I felt EXACTLY the same way when I saw The Lion King (and any time audience crap like that happens - although they didn't actually end up doing anything with the crowd at the Lion King). The first act probably had the most laughs, but there were laughs to be had throughout. Very good episode.

Fuck Global for cutting off "Thick as a Brick" in the end credits.
    Signature.

Shave those sideburns!

5/5. My favorite episode this season. The musical references to the Lion King were great (notice the way the puppets were done). And my favorite joke of this season was in this episode-"27". This is the first 5/5 i have given this season and i think this was a very well done episode. the joke with marge talking about calculus was funny. in the second act i was tetering between a 4 and a 5 but the end with the chairs pushed it to a 5. Marge's reaction to the lion king characters walking through the isles was exactly how i feel. I DONT WANT TO INTERACT WITH THESE PEOPLE!!
    Carnies built this country, the carnival part of it, anyway. And though they may be ratlike in appearance, they are truly kings among men. -Homer Simpson

"Oh, Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me" -Comic Book Guy

I'm the luckiest man in the world...now that Lou Gehrig's dead. -Homer Simpson

"Here's my advice on women: don't give them nicknames like 'Jumbo' or 'Boxcar' and always get receipts. Makes you look like a business guy." -Homer Simpson

Was that music, that kept being played when Lisa went over to the boys' side, from somewhere?

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

first act didn't wow me too much, but I really liked the second & third acts. And right when I thought it'd end with a whimper, Lisa's chair-whacking saved the day. I laughed my ass off when the squirrels attacked Skinner, in spite of anticipating the gag to be criticized here.

3.5/5 overall

Good episode, one of the best of the season. 4/5

drugdealer keeper awayer Hapablap's Avatar

This one gets my first 5/5 of the season so far. Musical I&S was good stuff and the second and third acts actually did make me laugh out loud. Bart eating the fries with toppings, and lisa hitting Ralph with the award, all the violence was hilariously blown out of proportion.
    Also a great job by Yeardly with the fake boy-Lisa voice. Season favorite.

3.5/5, rounding up to a 4/5. There were some truly awful jokes in this episode: the penis joke, Homer's 'doing it with a dude' comment, etc. The best part was great though: the musical, the women getting angry at being called unequal to men, and then getting angry at being called equal to men. I also didn't like that the ending didn't return the episode back to square 1. I was expecting the school to return to normal, but it was never concluded. I was also expecting Lisa to feel bad for hitting Ralph, but this didn't exactly happen either. The good jokes in this episode made up for most of the bad, though.

Also known as ametur_poet. lisalover1's Avatar

Without a doubt, this was one of by favoites! "Now I have been used as every ball on the playground!" And when Lisa hit Martain over the head with a chair! [It was just irresistible, even if she was just pretending!] A+!
    Greatest Episode Ever: Summer of the 4"2! 1st Runner-up: 'Round Springfield, 2nd Runner-up: Homer's Triple Bypass

I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

5/5- Great episode. I liked the part with the math numbers and signs talking to Lisa. I loved the part with Homer having to sleep on the couch then in the dog house.

Also did anyone else think Lisa shouting out hell and the frog saying "I thought he meant his penis" feel like it wasn't a joke that would be in The Simpsons . But I did laugh at both of those jokes.

Wow, I'm shocked at all the good reviews. I thought that was pretty bad. The Itchy and Scratchy musical wasn't funny, and neither was anything else. There were maybe 3 jokes that I actually laughed at. Full review tomorrow

Also known as ametur_poet. lisalover1's Avatar

So, NOW what's the next new episode going to be?

Blog Entries

Very strong showing tonight. I absolutely loved the Lion King parody at the beginning. That segment is probably the best thing about Season 17 so far, in my opinion. I feel the exact same way as Tomacco, regarding that audience interaction stuff. Just leave me alone, you crazy thespian.

I also really enjoyed seeing Homer end up on the couch. Twice. And then in the dog house.

The story was pretty good. I thought the two sides of the school were a bit overexaggerated at times, but it's better than a half-assed bland comparison, I suppose. The huge contrast did make for a better episode, I think. They had some interesting social commentary in there as well, especially the scene where Skinner fights off the angry crowd. Funny way to address the equality/inequality issue. I did find Skinner's characterization off, however. Since when did Skinner get that sexist? The whole plot kinda came out of nowhere.

And what was up with that random 27?

Overall, a 4.75/5. Best of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183495.stm

not as quick as south park, but they're at least keeping up with current events

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Very reminiscent of Little Girl in the Big Ten, and in a good way.

The Itchy and Scratchy musical went on perhaps a tad too long, but the Lion King (and Jesus Christ Superstar) homages kept it interesting and very funny. As someone who's seen the actual Lion King play, I thought the animators did an outstanding job with the costume designs and animation during this segment (as well as the humor). And while the main plot started a bit abruptly, at least there wasn't much wasted time, and it remain focused throughout. The school being split into two led to tons of memorable scenes and fresh jokes, although I would've liked to see a bit more of the girls' side--and perhaps a little more of Lisa being frustrated with the lack of challenge (she simply left after one class). Everything involving Lisa as "Toilet" was fantastic. Everything. There was a slight hiccup at the end, since the main problem wasn't really resolved (Skinner? The school being split?), but I think most of it was implied, so it wasn't as bad an issue as it could've been.

On top of that, this episode was actually very, very funny. There were tons of great lines and scenes, and every character had some excellent jokes. Itchy and Scratchy was fantastic--I really liked Marge's fear of interacting with one of the actors--that's something I get nervous about as well. The "subplot" with Homer sleeping on the couch (and then the doghouse) had a nice payoff, and actually involved a Homer/Marge conflict that I didn't mind at all (since it was merely played for laughs). Bart was in top form, and Lisa was excellent and believable throughout. Nelson had some great moments (my favorite being his plane made out of guns), and it was great seeing what effects an all-boy school had (complete with sight gags like a crashed helicopter and chalk outline). Even Ralph, who's been very hit-or-miss, fit in perfectly and had two very funny lines.

There was one point around the beginning of the third act where I was laughing for about a minute straight, simply from a string of really good jokes, one after another. Lisa's number thought bubble ("TWENTY-SEVEN!"), the design of the girls' side, the way nothing Skinner said could please anyone...all very funny. The only jokes I thought didn't work so well was the frog's subtitle (a bit overkill), and Chalmers randomly planting one on the new principal. And finally, there was some solid satire mixed in there for good measure.

Oh yeah, excellent animation too. This might be the best episode of the season--the story wasn't on the same level of Neverending, but the humor and writing were much better. 4.5/5 A-
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Was that music, that kept being played when Lisa went over to the boys' side, from somewhere?
    It sounded like A Clockwork Orange. Im not sure why it was used, though.

Thread Information