View Poll Results: How would you rate HABF10?

Voters
539. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

162 30.06%
  • 4/5

178 33.02%
  • 3/5

75 13.91%
  • 2/5

39 7.24%
  • 1/5

85 15.77%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (HABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

So do they treat Castellaneta as a freelancer on the writing staff? Makes you wonder how much is left from the first draft.

And Lacusta is his wife, correct?
    I'd kill to get a Nobel Peace Prize . . .

I can't help but wonder if Richard Dean Anderson gave Dan some ideas when Dan showed up on SG-1.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Wow, you must have not seen too many episodes then. Bart vs. Australia and Blame it On Lisa open up quite a few cans of woop ass on this episode.
    he said "in awhile". He didn't say it was the best vacation episode ever, just that it was very good.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Junior Camper

Great episode. 6 out of 5....think about it..
    Apocalypse now parody was fantastic. Patty and Selma & MacGyver was a good B story. I agree with whomever said it was a lot like Mark Hamils appearance, but that was another good use of a guest star. Apu's cousin was funny and the phone answering scene was great voice acting by Hank. Everyone was funny including burns, Smithers, Lenny& Carl, too bad they didn't throw in Barney and Moe for the Homer God scene.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhat
    And Lacusta is his wife, correct?
    yep.

i suppose we'll see another episode by them in S19...
    Season 25 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

the only funny thing in the whole show was moe's shotgun gag. other than that...unwatchable.
    "sweet merciful crap!!!"

I watched this again to make sure I wasn't insane. Sorry but this was a terrible, terrible excuse for an episode. I can't believe how empty it was; there was nothing at the centre of it at all. One of the emptiest, messiest, badly written episodes you could hope to see. I find it astonishing this could get higher poll ratings than a solid episode like My Fair Laddy.

If the subplot had not been in this then the episode would be totally unwatchable. As it is, the writers made a good choice in deciding to devote a reasonable chunk of time to it - it was far better developed than anything in the A-Story and felt like much more care and attention had been lavished upon it. The convention, the initial scene where they locked him in their apartment and his first escape were amongst the best moments of the season. It went a bit flat after that but was still worthwhile and it's refreshing to see a meaty subplot after recent poor excuses for a B-Story.

But back to the real core of the episode. Again I cannot stress how badly written I thought it was. No real satire (although the outsourcing video at the beginning of the episode was ok) and absolutely no conflict. I didn't think it was actually possible to write an episode more pointless than some at the beginning of the season but they somehow managed it. There was no conflict about moving the SNPP just a stupid scene about a bouquet. No conflict between Homer and the Indians, some blink and you'll miss it absurdity about Godlike delusions. It was like someone just vomited up a load of half-baked ideas about outsourcing, Homer thinking he's a God for some reason, idiotic Burns lines (who while not senile was still not acceptably characterised), a couple of India jokes and then served it up as a sorry excuse for a new Simpsons episode. The amount of stupid jokes was off the scale, coming off as a lobotomised Season 5 episode, so off the mark and poorly executed were the majority of these kerazy scenes. And if they want to end the episode on a Bollywood parody then fine, but actually parody the damn things instead of having acres of dead space where OFF are dancing...to Bollywood music! Wow what a sensational, merciless parody! There was a much better take-off in 10 seconds in a deleted scene in Homer and Apu for Christ's sake. I ended up settling on a D+ for the grade, but that is purely because of the subplot. Because this episode was trash. To think this show used to be intelligent....
    Last edited by Veryjammy; 04-10-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I find it astonishing this could get higher poll ratings than a solid episode like My Fair Laddy.
    Most of the 5/5 votes came from unregistered voters. Last night, there were already 20+ votes for it (all from non-members) after 5 minutes, so some person out there keeps on trying to fix the results. Still, the majority of registered votes went to 4/5 which I also don't understand.

And if they want to end the episode on a Bollywood parody then fine, but actually parody the damn things instead of having acres of dead space where OFF are dancing...to Bollywood music! Wow what a sensational, merciless parody!
    FINALLY! Somebody agrees with me that the ending was horrible. Maybe a 10 second dance, or something over the credits would have been find, but the ending was just too long and pointless. ALL the guys I watched it with completely agreed with me about it.

Please Do Not Feed The Ego

I liked it. It was good fun, the script was fairly well structured, and there were some pretty decent jokes. The A story was pretty weak and underdeveloped, but it was still enjoyable. And I have to say I liked Apu's brothers Lard Lad style hair. Very cool.

I have to say I didn't think Richard Dean Anderson was playing himself to begin with because it just didn't sound like him.

4/5
    My All-Time Top 100 TV Shows

My DVDs

If I were a stutterer, I'd live in Antarctica

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

things started getting "out there" as the episode progressed, but it was still solid enough for a 3.5/5 (upon first viewing). "You can write 'Help Me' on my breasts all you want, but no one will ever see it" (or something like that) got some of the biggest laughs in the room.....

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Once again a good if not amazing episode. There were a lot of things I liked about this one: The subplot was the best use of a guest star I've seen for a long time. Richard Dean Anderson was hilarious and was written in perfectly. Patty's characterisation thankfully felt classic again, as all her appearances from Goo Goo Gai Pan onwards felt really off-character. The subplot as a whole, in fact, was classic.

The main plot seemed to take a while to get going. I would have liked to have seen more interaction between Mr Burns and Homer, as once Homer finally got to india the plot was drifting around a lot of forgettable plot points and I'm finding it tough to remember what Homer actually did when he was there. I thought the god stuff was well done though, and Burns and Smithers had the best voice acting I'd heard in a long time, making their lines just so much funnier. Well done, Harry.

Overall I think this episode will stand out this season because it did feel above par, however there were a few too many forgettable scenes and 'Homer trying hard to be funny' moments that I've found are common these past few seasons. No jokes failed though and there was a lot of funny stuff and excellent guest star to boot. I'd like to see more of Burns and Smithers in future episodes, too. Oh and before I forget -- EXCELLENT animation!
    B

EDIT: I thought the dance number at the end was fine. One scene that did go on too long, and this hasn't been mentioned yet, was Homer's "Uhh.....umm.....ahh.....did I say um?" scene. If anyone saw the FOX promo, they cut it down to the perfect length. But it went on way too long in the episode and wasn't so funny as a result.
    Last edited by simplysimpsons; 04-10-2006 at 08:53 AM.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Tyrant: bought iPhone 6! D DEBBS's Avatar

Disappointed: I had high hopes for this ep.

First part was great, but went downhill.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bangalore-5/5

Some good jokes
    • The outsourcing video
    • The whole B-plot with Selma and Patty
    • The Stargate convention
    • Homer confusing India with Indiana
    • Apu's brothers jobs
    • The Apocolypse Now parody

Other things
    It was nice to see Ling again.
    Also the song at the end did go on for a little to long but it was okay.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I should actually see the episode before I comment, but remember Jammy, this happens once in a while, where a really poor episode gets bafflingly good grades. It certainly happend last year with Futur-drama where you wonder if the people that compare it to the classics actually remember what they were like.

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    but remember Jammy, this happens once in a while, where a really poor episode gets bafflingly good grades.
    Uh, more like every week.

I hated this episode, the only funny part was the thing with the nerds convention which saves this episode from getting an F. Everything was dreadfully boring. I was happy when this episode was finished because this was easily one of the worst of the season. D-

Oh and i'm very happy Matt Selman wasn't the writer for this, he would've completely destroyed his track record as a writer if he did.

Mad without power

Then sometimes, you're the only one, and wonder if you were watching the same episode as everybody else. I felt that way about "Don't Fear the Roofer", which I couldn't bear to give higher than a C. (And that was after a rewatch. Originally, I gave it a C-.)

On a rewatch, I'll probably pay more attention to the structure which could possibly lower my grade to a B, but I seriously doubt it will go any lower than that. I forgot about that awful Lenny/Carl tiger joke, but other than that, I still didn't have any real problems with the gags.
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Well there are some episodes I hate a lot more than others and some I like way more than the majority and this just may be one of those occasions. Or it may become like a Regina Monologues where it gets a decent initial R&R thread and then people realise it was actually crap

To clarify about the dancing at the end, it wasn't so much the length, although it did go on too long. It was just pointless, much like the rest of the episode. They just danced to Bollywood music for ages. No joke, no real parody, just dancing.. Yawn. A non-ending if you will.

^ And yeah that Lenny and Carl tiger joke has me baffled. I don't understand what the joke was even meant to be, it was just a stupid scene.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

My take on this episode went kinda backwards than most people here. I thought the show started off ok, bottomed into dead-jokes and a dragging plot in the second act, then became brilliant at the end.

The MacGyver thing started out pretty bad "*GASP* RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON!" I thought we were past these kind of plotlines. The stuff with RDA role reversing with P&S was pretty sluggish. All the gags were great though in every scene, and P&S were spot on, so it was distracting enough to enjoy. I was just rather bored by the twists and turns of the subplot.

Homer's plot was amazing though. It almost crashed and burned when Homer got to India and started doing Jerkass Homer stuff; once he got to the plant though, all that was dashed away.

What I really loved about this episode wa sthe attention to detail. As well as all the things mentioned by other members, one of my favorite gags was Lenny sittting in that back to avoid hurting his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    And if they want to end the episode on a Bollywood parody then fine, but actually parody the damn things instead of having acres of dead space where OFF are dancing...to Bollywood music! Wow what a sensational, merciless parody! There was a much better take-off in 10 seconds in a deleted scene in Homer and Apu for Christ's sake.
    You know, parody doesn't need to be scathing or critical for it to work. Could it be that the animators were just having fun with the material? Calling all that "dead space" is a bit much since it's obvious that they worked hard on it. I thought it was a lively, fun little piece, even on the third time watching it.
    Last edited by That Jerk; 04-10-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Well there are some episodes I hate a lot more than others and some I like way more than the majority and this just may be one of those occasions.

i can see thinking this is a harmless enough episode, but the fact that people thought this was a funny episode has me completely baffled. i mean, i had pretty much no problems with it structurally, or any real beef with either story (in fact, i thought the MacGyver one had real potential). but the jokes were just so god-awful bad! i mean, that Lenny joke with the nuclear waste in the beginning was terrible*. the set-up was awkward and unrealistic and the pay-off was obvious and stupid. and i think that was kind of a microcosm for the episode’s humor as a whole. i really didn't find a single thing about it funny in the least, and a couple things (like the Burns snake-charming part) were particularly bad.

*i wrote this before your post, That Jerk. it's not meant as a personal affront.

It's A Box Social!

I thought this episode was better than last week. It just felt very rushed to me though, like it should have been two separate episodes. A whole episode around the MacGyver kidnapping could have been great. Neither plotline was given enough time to develop fully and I think that is the difference between recent seasons and earlier seasons. They seem so afraid that people will get bored that they don't take the time to tell a story fully. They could have explained why the family came to India and showed Homer slowly developing into a God. So many missed opportunities here. With all that said, I did think there were some funny jokes like Moe's shotgun backfiring and I thought what there was of the MacGyver B story was pretty good.

Shave those sideburns!

Quote Originally Posted by I can see your Doodle
    Most of the 5/5 votes came from unregistered voters. Last night, there were already 20+ votes for it (all from non-members) after 5 minutes, so some person out there keeps on trying to fix the results. Still, the majority of registered votes went to 4/5 which I also don't understand.

FINALLY! Somebody agrees with me that the ending was horrible. Maybe a 10 second dance, or something over the credits would have been find, but the ending was just too long and pointless. ALL the guys I watched it with completely agreed with me about it.
    i gave the episode a 4/5. it may seem like a high rating to you but i rate episodes in this season keeping in mind that the show's quality has gone down. i tend to compare these episodes to episodes seen in the last couple of seasons. if i compared episodes to the "golden years" i would seldom give S17 episodes above a 2
    Carnies built this country, the carnival part of it, anyway. And though they may be ratlike in appearance, they are truly kings among men. -Homer Simpson

"Oh, Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me" -Comic Book Guy

I'm the luckiest man in the world...now that Lou Gehrig's dead. -Homer Simpson

"Here's my advice on women: don't give them nicknames like 'Jumbo' or 'Boxcar' and always get receipts. Makes you look like a business guy." -Homer Simpson

^ And yeah that Lenny and Carl tiger joke has me baffled. I don't understand what the joke was even meant to be, it was just a stupid scene.
    Have you read "The Lady or the Tiger" by chance? It's kind of a take off on that. Though even then, it's not like the joke (two tigers) is any better or less predictable, or the twist that one tiger is named Homer Simpson any cleverer.

I have my qualms with this season, more than any other Jean season, but I'm reluctant to make any grand claims of loss of intelligence from this episode. Mainly because every vacation episode or similar idea of the "Simpsons" going around the world such as this since Scully (if not longer with "Bart vs. Australia") have pretty much had all the same problems. Pointless sketch comedy show where stuff seems to happen without rhyme or reason, cultural stereotypes, half-assed characterizations, it's as much a problem here as it was with "Goo Goo Gai Pan", or "The Regina Monologues", or "Blame it on Lisa", or "Simpsons Safari", or "Kill the Alligator and Run", or "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo". It's structured differently perhaps, for what it is worth this actually didn't seem to run on the same formula some of those episodes did. But same basic problems nevertheless, nothing new, if not exactly good.

And clearly plot or character logic was not a priority for the episode, but getting in whatever jokes or references the writers wanted, A and B plot structure be damned. "The Lady and the Tiger" bit suggests Homer has gone crazy if he's willing to kill his friends. But in framing the "Apocalypse Now" bit, he really didn't go as crazy with delusions of godhood as he and everyone appeared, because...he wanted to help workers or, um...well whatever, it needed to end. Basically, same problems and same response to all other vacation episodes, meh, ranking somewhere between "Goo Goo Gai Pan" and "Blame it on Lisa", with the biggest highlight being the Outsourcing video, the other Apu, and the moo at the plant.

Subplot was interesting, and lifts the episode a bit. But, you know, the second half of it felt like it was written on autopilot to be honest. After Anderson escaped the first time with his rather ingenious explanation, it really didn't do a whole lot interesting with it, taking the route of least resistance with him just becoming obsessed with escaping. And the ending with Patty and Selma's slide show and him just jumping out the window in replacement of anything clever, I feel like I've seen this kind of lame for the sake of lame cop-out ending many other times before.

Some good jokes and ideas, a lot of missed stuff that Jammy's already covered. And if this review just reads like a bunch of thoughts incoherently spread across this post, uh think of it as a way of mimicking this episode's style.

Grade: C-

Well there are some episodes I hate a lot more than others and some I like way more than the majority and this just may be one of those occasions. Or it may become like a Regina Monologues where it gets a decent initial R&R thread and then people realise it was actually crap
    Seriously Very Jammy, you sound like this is the first time you've ever seen a horrible simpsons episode. IMO, this particular one wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of episodes of the past, it was okay overall. Sounds like you might not be having a good day. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bangalore is worse than Million Dollar Abie??!!

I'd give it a C+, I found myself laughing a few times, the flaws are obvious of course. The bottom line is that The Simpsons writers can't write comedy or a coherent plot.

I enjoyed it, it was nice to see ling again. 4/5

My cat's name is mittens

I thought it was good. I did like Burnsie's snake enterance thing...And the parody of Miss Cleo...I thought the shotgun made in the US was funny...
    Catch you on the flipside dudemeisters!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

This episode seems to be one of those love em or hate em eps, like The President wore Pearls or Future-Drama. Many posters consider those two (myself included) to be among the best of their respective seasons, but many others really hate both. This episode seems to be going the same way.

I kinda wish that the McGyver sub-plot had been it's own episode, though I'm not sure if it was strong enough to be a decent and engaging episode. But they could have had Patty & Selma realize they didn't like MacGyver any more, but in the end they realize they need it.

CheeseEatingSurrenderMonk ey Heub's Avatar

Ex-cellent !

In my opinion the MacGyver subplot was one of the best use of a guest star ever. His escape from Patty and Selma's was hilarious, too bad they didn't get the original music and had to go with an ersatz theme though. I guess it was even more enjoyable for the Stargate fans, which I am...NOT.

I can't believe no one noticed (or at least didn't mention it yet) the Indiana Jones and the temple of doom parody. Remember the bad guy in the movie ?

And kudos to the animators for the crowd scenes !

5/5 for me.

biennial playoff contender Rowdy's Avatar

4/5. More than enough laughs throughout, but the pacing was really off in some places, particularly when the Patty/Selma storyline was taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Seriously Very Jammy, you sound like this is the first time you've ever seen a horrible simpsons episode. IMO, this particular one wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of episodes of the past, it was okay overall. Sounds like you might not be having a good day. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bangalore is worse than Million Dollar Abie??!!
    Yes, yes I am actually. Million Dollar Abie I actually found rather interesting in a very flawed way. It was carried by a solid Grandpa characterisation and had several imaginative scenes and moments; it had ideas that it failed to execute effectively as opposed to virtually no ideas in this episode. It may have three different plots, but Bangalore struggled to muster one. Abie felt like an ambitious failure as opposed to a half assed muddle.

Yeah I''ve ripped on the episode, because it's probably the worst of the season imo, and I think blaming its problems on typical vacation flaws is letting it off the hook a little. There was no reason this should have fallen prey to vacation formula. There was the opportunity for a solid story, even if I have all but given up on incisive satire. But they couldn't even get that right and by the end it was one big mess, everything involving Homer so idiotic and barely explained before they just decide to have a Bollywood dance. Meh, you might think it was a nice sequence, I saw it as another perfunctory time wasting exercise.

The episode itself may be fairly harmless, but it is so amateurish in every department bar the direction. It deserves no less scorn than many other episodes. Everything from characterisation to story-telling to gags were subpar. People seem to think an episode not being outrageously horrible means it was ok; it doesn't.

Snakes in The Bus Station TransponderHut's Avatar

I actually liked this episode and stuck with it all the way through. This is something I haven't seen from the show in a long time.

I've been waiting for this MacGyver/Patty/Selma thing to happen for quite a while and it was very good. Made me think about the "Love me, love MacGyver" thing from 'Black Widower' and Jay Sherman being hung by his underwear on the rain gutter after dissing MacGyver in front of Patty and Selma from 'A Star is Burns'. 5/5

Thread Information