View Poll Results: How would you rate HABF10?

Voters
565. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

164 29.03%
  • 4/5

190 33.63%
  • 3/5

82 14.51%
  • 2/5

44 7.79%
  • 1/5

85 15.04%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (HABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (HABF10)

Homer learns that the nuclear power plant is being shut down and outsourced to India. After Homer is sent to train the new employees, he becomes power hungry in his new position of authority. Meanwhile, Selma and Patty meet their Hollywood heartthrob, MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson), and kidnap him for their own obsessive worship. When Anderson discovers how exciting real-life drama can be, he refuses to leave until Selma and Patty devise their own plan to get him out.

Or from snpp

When Burns decides to replace Springfield Nuclear Power Plant with one in India, Homer is sent overseas to train the new employees, but he lets his new power go to his head; Patty & Selma kidnap Richard Dean Anderson, only to have to develop a MacGyver-style scheme in order to get him to leave.

Preview/Speculation thread

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

5/5

The end was a parody of Indian movies, much like what we saw in the deleted scene from Homer & Apu, though it did go on for too long.

Patty & Selma were funny, and it was nice to see continuity with Ling, despite her presence only being for continuity.

Homer was good, particularly in Act II.

Burns & Smithers were good, except for Burns' snake entrance.
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

wow...that episode was....diffrent...but in a good way...4/5

Great episode, lots of funny. But that ending drags my vote down from a 5 to a 4.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Taking my talents to S. Beach Curtis's Avatar

The Episode was pretty good. I was suprised by how funny the MacGyver bits were. The plot was solid. However, I did not like the ending at all. 3/5
    ¡Lee mi blog!
    Reinventing Revolution

Junior Camper

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Richard Dean Anderson was a well-used guest star, and the main story was good, with some decent commentary on outsourcing.

Good Apocalypse Now parody too.

The mooing cow at the Indian plant was a nice joke, and Anderson's wig/mullet was funny.

Junior Camper

I was somewhat dissapointed in this episide. I didnt find a lot of the jokes while Homer was in India too funny.

The video that they showed at the power plant at the start of the episode was funny.
    The segment when MacGyver descirbed how he broke out of Patty/Selma's apparment was good too.
    It was all down hill from there.

It was still an OK episode, but it had the potential to be much better.

3/5

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

It was a pretty weak episode with plenty of flat jokes, and a subplot that tended to drag halfway in; but then that smashing third act started. Just awesome. 4/5

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I've gotta admit, after the second act, I was thinking that this could be the episode of the season, but as soon as we came back to an unexplained "The End" by The Doors, I knew it was probably marking the end of the possibility of best of the season.

The ending seemed anti-climatic. They hyped Homer up as being a god and it turns out he didn't think he was, then he gladly gave it up. It made little sense. The end song was VERY bad too. If they were going to do a song, they at least could have done an original one sung by the family. IS it just me, or did the scene at the Stargate convention seem like something Conan O'Brian would do?

The animation was very nice though.

The Good:
    The first two acts
    The fight over the bouquet
    "A girl? We Must find her!"
    The Nerds assuming Willie was a girl
    "A Stargate must be in here! We must find it!"
    The first minute or so of Homer in India
    Homer searching for Apu's cousin
    Homer talking about the Indian gods (and comparing one to a smurf)
    Smither's arranged bride
    Baby Lyng returns!
    MacGyver jumping into snake basket

The Bad:
    The third act
    All of the mentions of Star Gate... Seemed a little weird to me
    The act break with Burns floating down the river
    Homer's phone call to Bart & The Bully joke
    That horrible Wiggum joke in the end

And, it coul have been a classic if it had ended with Patty and Selma doing a get rid of MacGyver scheme, but instead... Nice to see baby Lyng back though.

BTW, who wrote this episode?

Rating:
    First act - 4/5
    Second act - 4/5
    Third act - 1/5

Overall - 2/5. It had Best of Season written all over it until the family arrived in India.
    Last edited by McClure; 04-09-2006 at 04:55 PM.

entertaining at the least. Sort of a strange feel to this episode but i think it worked. at least, a different feel then most of this season. and was that ling? B

just to note, this was a dan castelleneta/deb lacosta episode

Junior Camper

Really good. Some joke sucked, but a lot of other ones really worked. I thought Burns was hilarious in this one! The MacGyver subplot was really funny, and actually very clever. Really good stuff there. Homer was good, and I think the last line with him asking about Chief Wiggum was hilarious. It was so random and stupid. "He's funny."
    The ending with all of the foreign employers taking what Homer taught them about working was great, and I felt was a smart ending.

Great episode overall. Very original.
    10/10

Banned

Up until this episode, MacGyer was still a running show in the world of The Simpsons. Now even in The Simpsons, MacGyer is cancelled. Also, was MacGyer always played by Richard Dean Anderson or was he ever played by MacBain?

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Doodle, "the end", as well as the whole riverboat scene was an Apocalypse Now parody. Hardly unexplained. And the song at the end was pure Bahliwood. Very well done.

Two jokes that really pissed me off were Homer and the cow (that was a pretty tasteless, and not funny at all really), and that ultra grim scene with Bart and his bully, and Homer not caring.

Shave those sideburns!

i really enjoyed the Apocolypse Now reference. i also like the scene where macgyver explained how he escaped the first time. the SG1 convention jokes with the girl was funny (often a Conan O'Brien joke for those who watch it regularly) I couldnt give it a 5 though cause it had some low moments. the bollywood ending was just ok. nice to see castalanetta (spelling?) co-write the episode.
    Carnies built this country, the carnival part of it, anyway. And though they may be ratlike in appearance, they are truly kings among men. -Homer Simpson

"Oh, Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me" -Comic Book Guy

I'm the luckiest man in the world...now that Lou Gehrig's dead. -Homer Simpson

"Here's my advice on women: don't give them nicknames like 'Jumbo' or 'Boxcar' and always get receipts. Makes you look like a business guy." -Homer Simpson

Virgin Colada! *No Rum breadharrity's Avatar

Great Episode, but not as good as last weeks'. Like Mostly everyone else the ending really robbed this episode 5/5 status

4/5

Funkalicious Diva Queen Hooray For Everything!'s Avatar

The Bollywood ending was kinda funny, but entirely too long. The MacGuyer burgers were hilarious.

5/5 We saw Selma's baby! Apocalypse now parody was hilarious. The animation blew me away, holy crap!
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-23-2006 at 05:04 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

Not a terrible episode, it had it's moments, but it was not up to parr with the last two episodes. I thought the main plot, was well done, but the Macgyver secondary plot was really dissapointing. Although, I loved the scene Stargate SG-1 scene when they all crowd around willie and say that he's the closest thing that he'll ever get to an actual woman.(Both of my roomates are huge Stargate fans). Anyway it was for me, it was just an average run of the mill episode, with a few good laughs but no real extrodinary jokes. 3/5

Shave those sideburns!

oh yeah, anyone catch that they had patty and selma's new baby in there. anyone else get the reference that burns made when he said "untouchables" someone else had to tell me but it is a reference to the caste system and the untouchables were the lowest in society.

Quote Originally Posted by moed'oh
    oh yeah, anyone catch that they had patty and selma's new baby in there. anyone else get the reference that burns made when he said "untouchables" someone else had to tell me but it is a reference to the caste system and the untouchables were the lowest in society.
    Saw 'em both!

Blog Entries

Very strong showing tonight, in my opinion. I didn't think it would be that great, based on the episode description, but it was pretty solid. Best episode of the season thus far. I'm quite impressed.

Outsourcing is such a hot topic in today's business world that it was a great story concept. The concept could have gone bad in so many different ways... For example, the people of India could've been depicted as unskilled, lazy, and working for pennies. However, they made a nice twist by having Homer introduce flextime and other corporate perks. In the end, the people of India were the cleverest of them all. Nice story.

The MacGyver story was just wrong on numerous levels. But, again, it was a funny little twist that Richard Dean Anderson actually enjoyed staging those crazy escapes. And then Patty and Selma's subsequent boredom and annoyance. Richard Dean Anderson's role reminds me of Mark Hamill's in Mayored to the Mob. He comes off as really needy, which is pretty hilarious.

I liked the musical sequence at the ending. It was just something fun to watch. I wasn't bothered by its pointlessness at all. Sometimes, it's nice to watch a silly little Bollywood montage like that. In a sense, that's what the series loses at times: the sense of fun. The last minute of the episode was basically the characters hanging out, just having fun... Kinda like the "Jammin'" voiceovers in Season 8's The Canine Mutiny.

4.5/5 (rounded to 5)

Outsourcing has long been a serious problem for American workers. Almost every product we use, possibly even the keys I'm typing with, are made in ANOTHER country.

The way they covered subject here was fine. Parts of the episode reminded me of Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk. So it seemed a bit odd that Mr. Burns would pick Homer (of all people) to lead the overseas power plant. But it turns out that he's somehow more competent in his job than before; even when he seemingly got the ball rolling in Missionary Impossible, it eventually backfired.

The sub-plot shows Patty and Selma finally meeting their idol: McGyver. What I found more interesting than the sub-plot itself was that the writers actually remembered that Patty was mothering Ling.

Mr. Burns was much more expressive here than he has been in a long time. Either Harry Shearer is over his gripe against the show from two years ago, or he's channeling his emotions into Mr. Burns. Either way, excellent job!

"Kiss, Kiss Bang Bangalore" was one of the better economic satires seen in a while. Few jokes were a miss, but they were thankfully kept to a minimum. A lot of the Indian jabs were great, especially Homer referring to one god as "Papa Smurf". I'm probably one in a minority who actually ENJOYED the ending.

4.25/5

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    So it seemed a bit odd that Mr. Burns would pick Homer (of all people) to lead the overseas power plant.
    Burns didn't pick Homer. Homer just caught the boquet.

pee air true dough Larson Something's Avatar

Meh. The main plot was servicable but forgettable, and the Heart of Darkness bit kind of came out of nowhere. I enjoyed the Bollywood ending a lot, though.

MacGyver subplot was good, but it probably would have worked better as a THOH segment. Yes, I know it covers similar ground to Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl, but that's not exactly a sacred cow, so to speak.

2.5/5

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

I guess this is the best we can ask for nowadays. A handful of good jokes, a couple bad ones (Willie and his kilt, the Bengal tiger joke), good characterizations, and a plot that actually makes some semblance of sense. B
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

In the hammock district

4/5 and I'm gald I can say that honestly, the only thing that broke it down was a few of the indian jokes, but very funny episode that deals with a sad problem.
    Your Haiku insults don't effect me

Banned

Apu's cousin was the best part of the episode.

Junior Camper

Richard Dean Anderson will be in my dreams tonight. Oh how I miss Macgyver.

Bring Back Oakley and Weinstein!

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Doodle, "the end", as well as the whole riverboat scene was an Apocalypse Now parody. Hardly unexplained. And the song at the end was pure Bahliwood. Very well done.
    I realize that it was an Apocalypse Now parody, what I meant by unexplained was that they suddenly cut to it. They really didn't show anything leading up to Homer thinking he was a god, or the family being summoned over. It seems as though they cut a lot of that out to make room for the MacGyver plot.

And I realize it was a Bollywood parody, but that still doesn't make it a good ending. An original song is much preferable... Or cut out the ending and allow a little more time for the buildup.

Banned

Doodle has a good point. The family just all of a sudden ended up in India.

Thread Information