View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - "Dad, what's the point of this story?" "I like stories."

120 46.88%
  • 4/5 - "Oh, I know this story! The year was nineteen-ought-six. The President is the divine Miss Sarah Bernhardt. And all over America, people were doin' a dance called the "Funky Grandpa!"

85 33.20%
  • 3/5 - "Anyway, the moral is, the lion was so happy, he gave Hercules this big... thing... of riches."

36 14.06%
  • 2/5 - "I wonder why stories of degradation and humiliation make you more popular?" "I dunno. They just do."

9 3.52%
  • 1/5 - "Great story, Grandpa. Could have used a vampire, though."

6 2.34%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "The Seemingly Neverending Story" (HABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Please Do Not Feed The Ego

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel L Bronkowitz
    I watched it again last night with some friends who are casual fans.. My original grade was a 3.5/5, but I gotta upgrade it to a 4.5/5. The "1,2,3,4" gag KILLED, each & every time.....in fact, probably got the biggest laughs in the room.
    I just rewatched the episode and actually laughed every time the 1,2,3,4 joke came up. It's strange how quickly our minds can change.
    My All-Time Top 100 TV Shows

My DVDs

If I were a stutterer, I'd live in Antarctica

i really enjoyed this episode, near flawless but not perfect. 4.5

Not an Al Jean butt-kisser TerrorK's Avatar

Okay, as requested, I've downloaded this episode to give it a go, having been told that I'd likely enjoy it. But after viewing it, to be honest, I'm not that impressed. In fact, I can't see what all the fuss is about really.

Things get off to a shaky start, first trivialising Bart with the lame "nikel in a water bottle" gag, and then with Homer calling to the Indian god (I'm not even going to attempt to spell that name) for help just seeming like a rehash of "Save me Jebus!" and other similar moments where Homer doesn't believe in something and then immediately calls for help from it.

Okay, there was a couple of bits I did like early on. Homer's line of "I'm stuck and I have to pee. Okay, now I'm just stuck" did produce a chuckle, as did the control panel on Burns' panic room, and Homer getting the toupee exactly like his normal hair. However, a lot of the gags were pretty laughless. And any episode that has gross Burns body humour like the Rich Texan (who is incredibly annoying, and here is no exception) slapping his back and protruding Burns' ribs will never get an A-range grade from me.

Burns' voice seemed off here too, btw. Later on so did Moe's as well. Mrs Krabappel's younger voice on the other hand actually seemed closer to her normal one than Marcia's take on Edna has been recently.

I liked the gag with Barney getting into Moe's somehow, though where were Sam and Larry? But the gag with Snake being turned to crime just because of his coins being stolen was pretty far-fetched and lazily written... the justification barely made any sense. I mean him actually just saying that he'll "take it out on convenience stores" WTF? Also, Bart being a distraction for Nelson is one thing, but him actually helping Nelson steal things from the school... that's a bit far for Bart, IMO. I didn't really get Marge giving absolutely no reaction to him admitting that either.

There were also jokes that just went on too long and became annoying, like Homer's dancing, and then The Rich Texan's "1,2,3,4!" joke.

The horned sheep's early actions also made absolutely no sense at all if it was simply returning Lisa's necklace, and there was never a necklace on its horns until there needed to be. I know in cartoons this can be a normal thing, with things like watches and pockets and the like, but this time it's really stretching it here. Also, the animal acted far too anthropomorphic as well.

Another gag that I did like though was Moe pretending he had a gun by stepping into the darkness. But I have to say, the writers really missed an opportunity with Snake: he was dressed like Indiana Jones in the flashback story, yet he rappels into the cave just in his normal gear. Hello!

Marge trying to reason with the gold-wanters with morality, but then just not agreeing was a nice gag I have to say, but after she actually dropped it, I find it card to believe the others would just accept it like that (except for Burns of course). Seems like a rather cheap way to end things on. In fact, the whole ending from there on seemed rather rushed and strange. It was a bit like "Ooops! We're out of time! Better wrap this up" or something. It was just a very odd ending.

While I've covered the jokes for the most part, I haven't really commented on the overall story and style. I find this to be somewhat like "Trilogy of Error" in a way: it was a good idea, but it wasn't really executed to its full potential. It's not bad, but I feel is overall let down by a few iffy bits here and there (Krabappel with Moe for instance never struck me as being right, then there's the Snake aspect and the sheep's actions making no sense.), as well as a lot of poor jokes. Seriously, that's what lets this episode down the most for me... it just wasn't that funny.

I have to admit, I find this one hard to grade. When it wasn't bad or poor, storywise, it was actually fairly decent. If you take away the Edna, sheep and Snake aspect, the rest of the connections were pretty solid actually. Still, it's another recent case of a good idea being let down by rather sub-par humour, iffy characterisations, and some lazy and/or iffy writing here and there. Not a huge failure, but more of a miss than a hit really. To sum up, a novel idea, with questionable execution. With some more work and thought put into it, as well as some better jokes, it could have been something.

Grade: C
    - Kenneth White

"Even if The Simpsons is better than 95% of everything else on TV, that doesn't automatically make it good."

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^I have to say I agree with some of the thigs Terror K said, especially in the two last paragraphs. But I think there were great gags and Burn's characterization was the best one in years. I loved everything with Burns, and even the body humor wasn't too extreme and tolerable for me. Rich Texans' 1,2,3,4 doesn't really make me laugh but I didn't find it cringeworthy either and it was good during the credits. And aprt from that I think he was reasonably funny. The mountage of Burns and Rich Texan doing all that crazy proofs was one of the most dynamic, full-packed, enjoyable scenes I have seen lately in the show, and the repetition of Homer's toupe gag was great.

My main problem, apart from somehow not finding Moe-Edna K's part so enjoyable, was Bart. I think most of his gags were lame. And they were more lame in the execution, voice acting and the acting/animation of his character. I don't think the nickel in the bottle was so bad in theory but the animation of Bart and the length of the moment makes it sillier, he just seems more childish. If they have reduced it to Lisa saying "Here is a nickel in the bottle" and Bart saying something like "Cool" and playing with it only a second, it could have been a decent joke about how dumb he is but the longer the gag the more lame the joke seems and the more childish it became for Bart's character.

I think I could give this an A-/B+
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 03-19-2006 at 10:21 AM.

"The Seemingly Never-ending Story"

In a season that's been all over the place in terms of quality, an episode like this one truly stands out among the rest. I have to say, this was pretty damn close to flawless. Its plot was this episode's greatest strength. The story within a story within a story formula worked perfectly. The plots of the different stories weren't too overly complicated, which was one reason they worked so well within each other. And because the stories were relatively short, the characters weren't over-stretched. Certain supporting characters, like Moe, aren't supposed to have a lot of complex traits. Moe is funny in his own way, but if this entire episode was based around him, the desperate bartender jokes would've gotten really old after a while. But because he only starred in a piece of the episode, the jokes didn't become stale and the plot based around him didn't feel dragged out. After Lisa was finished telling all the stories, I really liked the way the episode wrapped up by linking all the plots back to the gold and having all the characters re-appearing. The only slight drawback to this episode was the mild lack of humor. There was the occasional good joke, but I think the writers decided to focus more on the story than the humor. Luckily there weren't many jokes that completely failed, the only one I can think of was Bart and the nickel in a water bottle thing. That's just bad characterization, since when has Bart ever been that stupid? I'm kind of on the fence about the Big Rich Texan's "1, 2, 3, 4" OCD joke, like a lot of other people. It was right on the line between funny and annoying/way too dragged out. Even if the humor wasn't quite perfect, the story definitely made up for it. This is probably my shortest review this season, but there isn't much else to say. This was just a great episode. I'd say best of season 17 so far. A

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by scottvivian
    I think you're right. Well spotted!
    I know this thread is redundant but I want to say thanks for the comments regarding my little observation.

Please ignore this though, I merely wanted to stick my reply in.

Who the hell is retarded enough to vote that many times on a poll?

Isn't there a way these retarded voting trolls posing as guests can be IP banned from this site ? I feel sorry for the moderators who are having to clean-up this mess : I can only imagine how frustrating it must feel.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

Another brilliant episode. A*

There wasn't one joke I didn't like, and I loved the twists in the stories.
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So yeah best of the season, nothing to add really but I'll say a couple of things anyway.
    Obviously it was the most creative plot wise and the pacing was all very good and I actually thought it was the best of the season humour wise. Which still isn't particulary funny, but just about every Jean episode suffers from lack of really funny jokes, So it's not like I'm not used to it.
    Most of the stuff before you got into the main plot, particulary Bart with with the bottle and a couple of other things in the episode weren't good, but only in the "meh that's not funny" not in the huge groan or painfully long drawn out gag kind of way, they all went by quickly, even the repetition of 1.2.3.4 wasn't that long in comparison to something like the car tipping in D'ohwhere.
    B+

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I quite enjoyed The Seemingly Neverending Story. It felt obviously a lot fresher than most stories this season, and it was creatively plotted. I would never have imagined a story-within-a-story-within-another-story-esque episode, and it worked surprisingly well. However, not all the jokes worked, and parts of it could definitely have been funnier. A few characterisation issues as well - was I the only one who disliked Snake's back story? I suppose he could have been a treasure digger who turned to crime after his gold was stolen but....nah...didn't wash with me.

Overall, cancelling out the good and the bad elements, the episode ranks around average in the grand scheme of things.

That was excellent. Not classic, but top of the league of the newer stuff. I loved the premise, very nicely done. I think my favourite gag was Snake's son asking Bart if he likes X-Box.

I suppose he could have been a treasure digger who turned to crime after his gold was stolen but....nah...didn't wash with me.
    Yeah, but Snake's back story really isn't all that important. It was just a plot device.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Yeah, but Snake's back story really isn't all that important. It was just a plot device.
    I enjoyed the backstory, Snake was always inexplicably articulate and intelligent for just a regular criminal and now I suppose we know why he studied at Middlebury - to become an archaeologist?

An excellent episode. I really enjoyed the innovative premise and style of this episode with the story within a story within a story. The stories were admittedly strange to say the least and they raised some continuity issues but purely on an entertainment and comedy level, they were all brilliant. There were some hialrious jokes and moments throughout the episode, my favourites being:
    - Mr. Burns' and the Rich Texan's scavenger hunt and his attempts to get a picture of himself with a smiling child on the school bus.
    - Pretty much all of Moe's story
    - Lisa explaining the 'story in a story' format to Homer
    - The sheep's story
    - Homer getting stuck upside down in a cave roof was funny in itself
    - The sign outside Carl's Dad's Caverns (I didn't get the joke until I saw the sign)
    The animation and music and voice acting were as wonderful as ever, making this my favourite episode of season 17 so far.

Stonecutter

I liked it - a strong plot, interesting character developments/situations and it was funny, too! Only thing was it seemed the animation wasn't quite right, but maybe that's because the characters in the story were a few years younger. 5/5 A-

Stonecutter

Great episode. Not much to say on this really. It was really nice to see Burns in mostly good character. I loved it when he was climbing down the wall, whilst the others went off, saying he'll catch them up. He was also a lot more Pre-Okaley and Weinstein Burns. None of this feeble and weak side shown on him. He was more of a more fitter and stronger Burns.

To the plot it was excellent. I found myself becoming more and more intrested as it went along. Not one story failed for me. The humour was a bit like My Fair Laddy. Not hilarious, but it had it's moments and there were little if any poor jokes.

It was great to see a flashback on the likes of Edna, Moe and Snake. All very well developed, and the story fitted in nicely with the others.

Characterizations were very good as well, and to be honest I didn't really have much of a problem with Bart.

Best of the Season. A-

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

^ Eh, I've always thought Burns's most feeble moment was as early as season 3, when he struggled to move his thumb enough to give a thumbs-up in Homer Defined.
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Junior Camper

Late, but I would like to comment that this was an amazing episode. Wow. I'm REALLY impressed. It was really smart, and really funny. Just impressive. All the characters were perfect, the ending with Bart telling the whole thing to Skinner was great.. Wow. Just REALLY intelligent.

10/10. Best of the season.

Purple Is A Fruit.

5/5 A+

This truly is a modern day classic. In my opinion, Season 17 has been a very average and unmemorable season, but this makes me change my mind completely. Brilliant from start to finish, full of laughs and a very great idea. The best new episode I have seen for at least 5 or 6 years, and I'm not exaggerating. More episodes as good as this would do the modern day show so much good.

Here's my late review :

Great episode! SNES has a very original plot and an innovative, well structured narration. Each story developed secondary characters and their relations, by means of events happened the summer before Bart started the 4th grade and Lisa the 2nd grade (if I am correct). Each story resulted to be interesting and entertaining, consistent with the 'regular' episodes. Characterizations were overall good (IMHO), except the first 2 minutes for Bart and Homer (who reminded me some 'Captain Wacky' moments). Great music and animation. Best of the season (up to now, probably till the end) 5/5 (A/A-).

BEST EPISODE THIS SEASON!

This would be my first Jean era R&R thread that was kinda right after when it aired. It aired last night in Australia for the first time, and I was rather impressed. I judge episodes relative to each other, over the whole time period of The Simpsons.

-----

Much like TerrorK, I cannot understand where the humour in that nickel in the bottle gag would be. Bart is dumb, yes. He grows dumber by the minute on account of the Simpson gene, yes, but this was way too farfetched, way too forced and way too unfunny. It did remind me of the many jokes from season 13 and onward that seemed to go on way too long, much like Family Guy jokes tend to be. Jokes in The Simpsons should be quick and biting, they should come in constantly, like in "King Homer" (THOH III) where they come in bang bang bang one after another.

The introduction to the story (entering the cave) did seem kind of rushed, but that wasn't a problem for me considering that the rest of the episode was fairly top notch and needed the time devoted to it.

Homer getting stuck in the hole, whilst grossly unrealistic (he would have passed out, surely) presented a nice means for Lisa and Homer to bond, albeit for a short time before the rest of the family became present. I particularly enjoyed Homer's juvenile happiness at being told a story by Lisa, and it reminded me fondly of that great line "I like stories". It also presented Lisa as an almost parental figure to Homer when it comes to learning, but it allows for Homer to be kept as the real parental figure when social/other issues come up for Lisa (eg: getting lost in the city, being unnoticed compared to the new girl).

The actual story Lisa told was quite compelling, and at the end left me wondering just who else would turn up in the cave wanting the money. I was thinking that perhaps Snake got the money from elsewhere, and they'd come in - that could have been a nice tie to the title of the episode, but meh. The point though, is that it's rare for a Simpsons episode to have me wondering what will happen next, and that's a hallmark of great writing. Trilogy of Error would probably be the only other episode to have me in that frame of mind.

The transition from the seemingly neverending story to the cave was handled very well, with the nested cloud bubbles being rather humourous. The sheeps little bit in this episode got a laugh out of me, as Mr. Burns's quest on the bus to get kids to smile at him.

On that note, Burns was characterised quite well in this episode. I would have liked for him to seem...more childish/senile, much like he did in Monty Can't Buy me Love. I love it when Burns mentions old-timey words such as "vo-dee-oh-doh", or "picto-tube" and I certainly would have liked to see more of that in this episode too.

I didn't quite like the ending, where Marge got rid of the money. Judging from previous episodes with the rich Texan, I can't see him giving up the money that easily, whilst a fragile Mr. Burns is able to get it back. Alas, that's trivial in an episode that captivated by interest, got me to laugh, and kept me wanting more and more even after the episode had finished. Much like Trilogy of Error, this will be an episode that will have a great preference from me for a long time to come.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Junior Camper

I love the Episode 5/5 Woo.

The whole Snake/Indiana Jones thing was funny and the Story was well told, actually one of the better stories in some time. And it was great to see Burns have a major appearance, as he can get pretty rare nowadays.
    Well, that's odd ... I've just robbed a man of his livelihood, and yet I feel strangely empty. Tell you what, Smithers - have him beaten to a pulp.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alt.nerd.obsessive
    and I wonder if the absence of Smithers to get a fake tan was done as a little nod to his less than yellow complexion in his first appearance...
    i thought the exact same thing!

The first really great episode all season. Faults were there, but overall it was a very solid and entertaining episode! 8.5/10

I gave this one a 5, reminded me of old simpsons and was a great episode!

The Seemingly Never-Ending Story is actually quite a masterful piece of non-linear storytelling, the best episode since Trilogy of Error. It manages to integrate several tales from various characters by connecting them to the various character's story. It tells of how Snake become a robber and correlates with '22 Short Films About Springfield', when Snake robs to pay off his 'student loan'. The story takes several unexpected turns, until we find Bart (POSSIBLE SPOILER) telling this tale to Principal Skinner. This all stems from an unlikely source - a cave in which Homer gets himself trapped. In the end, everything adds up in the end, just like Trilogy of Error. Among Season 17, it is undoubtedly (from my own opinion and the opinion of others) the best episode - among all of the Simpsons episodes, it holds its own and has probably managed to delay the Simpsons' inevitable decline as the writers run out of good ideas. All up, it gets an A. No weak stories and no real weak jokes to speak of. I reckon that Simpsons-watchers should make an effort to see it.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick
    It manages to integrate several tales from various characters by connecting them to the various character's story. It tells of how Snake become a robber and correlates with '22 Short Films About Springfield', when Snake robs to pay off his 'student loan'. The story takes several unexpected turns, until we find Bart (POSSIBLE SPOILER) telling this tale to Principal Skinner. This all stems from an unlikely source - a cave in which Homer gets himself trapped. In the end, everything adds up in the end, just like Trilogy of Error. .
    Yep that is a good description of what happens in the episode

back in black

First choice is definitely the most fitting. Like "Trilogy of Error", it's an entertaining tale that goes off in several different tangents, but it has a better (and funnier) plot structure. It may not have had any real point, but I was laughing too much to care. In fact, I would say that this is now my fifth favourite episode of all time.

1, 2, 3, 4... 5/5
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Wow. I watched this once before *cough*torrents*cough* but actually only got 3/4 of the way through it then watched a different one, so when it aired here last night i didnt know what the last act would be like. I actually really liked how it fell together at the end and it was Bart talking to Skinner and such. Right now I would give it an A+.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Thread Information