View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - "Dad, what's the point of this story?" "I like stories."

121 47.08%
  • 4/5 - "Oh, I know this story! The year was nineteen-ought-six. The President is the divine Miss Sarah Bernhardt. And all over America, people were doin' a dance called the "Funky Grandpa!"

85 33.07%
  • 3/5 - "Anyway, the moral is, the lion was so happy, he gave Hercules this big... thing... of riches."

36 14.01%
  • 2/5 - "I wonder why stories of degradation and humiliation make you more popular?" "I dunno. They just do."

9 3.50%
  • 1/5 - "Great story, Grandpa. Could have used a vampire, though."

6 2.33%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "The Seemingly Neverending Story" (HABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "The Seemingly Neverending Story" (HABF06)

Episode airs tonight (3/12) at 8/7C.

"While cave exploring with his family, Homer causes the cave to crumble and finds himself stuck upside down in the ceiling. Marge and Bart search for help while Lisa passes the time by telling Homer a story, which turns into a chain of narrated tales..."

The cosmic ballet goes on.. Radioactive Man's Avatar

Ye haw! 1,2,3,4.

That's the first time I've really laughed out loud all season.

Alright, this one is a puzzler. Story-wise and style-wise this episode was fabulous, and had me intrigued pretty much all the way through. That's a recipe for a 5/5 episode right there. But wow, humor-wise this was the most inconsistent episode in perhaps years. I laughed out loud more than a couple of times, but I groaned just as much at other jokes. It was really conflicting actually. 4/5

And, show of hands: Who found the 1,2,3,4 joke funny the second and THIRD times?
    Signature.

Stonecutter

I loved this episode. It gets a perfect 5/5 from me!

Great episode. I loved how all the stories connected. 5/5

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Effin awesome! Great storyteling, quite a few memorable moments, and top notch character jokes (especially on Moe and Snake). I really can't think of one part of it i didn't like. 5/5

(Re: Texan's OCD... The only time I didn't like it was the end, but then it led into the producers joke, which was great)

Funkalicious Diva Queen Hooray For Everything!'s Avatar

I missed out on a couple of chunks of the episode due to tornado warnings, but I liked what I saw. I loved how the Texas millionaire rode Smithers out of the room!

Awesome episode. Funniest parts: Moe pretending he had a gun and Snake's son.

I really have no complaints.

A+

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

it was like the flashbacks deliberately out-Family Guyed Family Guy, who out-Simpsoned The Simpsons in the first place, if that makes any sense. I'll need to watch it again to soak it all in, but I was definitely entertained....tentatively a 3.5/5

The story was excellent, and fun to see it all tie together at the end. 5/5
    EDIT: I'm glad it won an emmy!
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 12-30-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

5/5

That was amazing! Freakin' brilliant. Wow. That's all I can say, really. This is the first time in a long time where I can say it was a great episode. Very well constructed and funny episode. Barely any cringeworthy jokes, just the right pacing too. The stories were interesting and engaging. Woo, I'd even go as far to say that it is on a classic level!

Maybe I'm exaggerating because of the excitement, but I would think not. Best this season.

I didn't find the 1, 2, 3, 4 joke funny repeated like that. But besides that it was pretty good. Am I the only one that likes slow episodes? Well maybe the pacing wasn't that slow, but I just felt good knowing that there was still an entire act to go when it felt like it should've been over. I like having a lot to see yet. Anyway, I loved the goat telling the story of how it found Lisa's pearls in its own language. I saw the Homer no longer having to pee joke coming, but it still made me laugh by the way he said "Now I'm just stuck." Snake's son asking if Bart liked Xbox was funny for some reason, I guess because you expect him to be a punk like his dad when he isn't. I also loved Barney just spontaneously coming back into the bar whenever tossed out with no explanation except he's a drunk and somehow does it. I also loved Burns with his "relatives", saying he's from Pangea and his horrid smile on the bus. They could've had Smithers in the cave with Burns just for the sake of showing him, but oh well. 5/5 from me.
    Last edited by Ghost Train on the Water; 03-12-2006 at 05:58 PM.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

It may be the giddyness of watching a new episode that is talking but I think this is one of the best episodes after Season 11.

Lisa was back to her old self by staying back with Homer. The animation was amazing-even if Burns model seemed a bit off at some moments. The whole epsode felt ambitious as it was fast paced and showed different sides of a lot of characters, but it worked.

The jokes that I felt worked best was Burns with his relatives, Barney being thrown out of the bar, and how the dream sequences were played off well. But I felt a few missed their mark as well: the reasoning for Smithers being absent, the Texas OCD, and Burns taking photos with the kids.

I was totally absoultely suprised when Edna came off the bus and that she was dating Moe, yet it was interesting to see how optimistic and upbeat she was before she started teaching at the school. Moe was classic and I had absolutely no problems with him. To see Snake as a law-abiding citizen was nothing amazing but it did work for a few gags. Not to mention it was cool to see his son.

The gags were clever and kept on building, I was rolling on the floor at least twice during this episode. Brilliant!

And best of all-THE ENDING! The ending was wonderful, amazing, I loved it, could The Simpsons be peaking again-Mini-peaking?

A-
    Last edited by Klia; 03-12-2006 at 06:11 PM.

I loved it. That's all I have to say.

4.5/5

I commend them for trying something different, and there were less pacing or timing problems than expected, but few laughs, and a terrible opening scene

This was a great episode with great stories being told.
    I laughed out loud several times the part with Mr. Burns on the bus trying to get that picture was hilarious.
    Although I don't understand Why it was rated TV-14 except for that part were Mr. Burns calls the Rich Texan a bitch..

Story's

1. Goat chasing Lisa- It wasn't that great but it was a way to get the episode started.

2.Burns working at Moes- I thought the scavenger hunt was pretty funny and the Excluders were funny.

3.Moe and Edna- Also a great story with some funny stuff I also thought how smart it was for the writers to have the money be in the jukebox instead of being buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Alright, this one is a puzzler. Story-wise and style-wise this episode was fabulous, and had me intrigued pretty much all the way through. That's a recipe for a 5/5 episode right there. But wow, humor-wise this was the most inconsistent episode in perhaps years. I laughed out loud more than a couple of times, but I groaned just as much at other jokes. It was really conflicting actually. 4/5

And, show of hands: Who found the 1,2,3,4 joke funny the second and THIRD times?
    same for me

This was a good episode. It had one of the most interesting and well-thought out plots in the entire series. A lot was crammed into the episode, and I couldn't believe when the episode was over. The twist ending was great. The characterization was strong, and most of the humor was very good. I liked finding out more about the background of characters like Mrs. K and Snake, although there could have been a Middlebury reference there. I didn't like a few things, mostly how the mountain goat was acting at the end of Lisa's story (too human). A-, but that grade will probably go up on repeating viewings.

And as a side note, this and My Fair Laddy are probably the best consecutive episodes since season eight.

Moe dated Krabappel? O RLY?

They wasted no time getting the story started, which is always a good thing. For some of the stories, such as Burns' stint at Moe's, I initially expected it to have taken place at a different time, like say, before Homer started working for him. What we got worked better at tying everything up in the end.

Excellent story material, and very expressive animation. They still need to get out of the habit of overdoing simple jokes. The Rich Texan's obsessive-compulsion seemed like an obsessive compulsion in itself.

The only thing I'm wondering is when Skinner and Krabappel are gonna get back together?

This is certainly an episode that lived up to its name. :thumbsup

4.5/5

Now it's time for . . . My Opinion Which Nobody Gives One, Two, Three, Four Shits About:

Wow, what an amazing episode. You know, I have very little bad to say about this episode that I am gonna start with the stuff I didn't like. First of all, despite it benig incorporated into the title of my review, I thought one, two, three, four joke was really lame. The first time it was amusing, but the other 78 times it just wasn't funny. Moe going crazy was really lame too. And that's all I didn't like. Although I respect his opinion, I don't see what Tomacco groaned at beside 1 2 3 4 and Moe going crazy.(if you read this, can you enlighten us please). All the other jokes hit with me, or atleast were not offensively bad. The style and story of this episode was extremely well done, something we have not seen on this show for awhile. The jokes worked very well for me, save the two I mentioned. And the animation was great as well. See these little histories of all the characters was also very amusing, such as Mrs. Krabappel benig sympathetic to Bart and that is why she stayed there. I also liked how in the end Mr. Burns still went for the gold. It was a very interesting episode. This definately proves that an interesting stlye and/or story can make something that isn't a riot, seem funnier. I didn't think this episode was not funny, but it wasn't as hilarious as other. But the fact that the story and style were so enticing, I didn't realize until now, which was only triggered by people say it wasn't as funny as it could have been. Man, obviously if they did a lot of stylistically different episodes each season it wouldn't be as good, but these types of episodes are always fun to watch. Keep up the great work guys, this is probably in the top 25 best episodes I have seen post season 8. Amazing episode, if this fan community doesn't rate it high as a whole, I will be angry, and you won't like me when I'm angry.

FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, this is one of those episodes where it seemed the writers felt totally comfortable with the story from beginning to end. I loved all how it flowed together and I'm glad they kept Homer's pain-gags to a minimum. Anywho, probably the second best of Season 17, behind TGWSTL.

4.25/5, or A-

Jake

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

To elaborate, off the top of my head, the jokes I groaned at or found predictable:

Homer's crying really being bats biting him:

Any self-respecting Simpsons fan is trained to see this kind of "twist" coming a mile away by now, and Lisa actually saying "aww, this really touched you, dad?" just gives us more time to see it coming.

Burns saying "bitch":

The slang-use of "bitch" is something that works in some situations and not others. Plus, Burns actually showing signs of being up with the times toes the line of his character, since 99% of the time he's proven himself to be out of touch, and from "pangea" (a way more successful joke from tonight's episode), so when this establishment is violated, the pay-off better be good. In this case it wasn't good. Just unnecessary.

Snake's "nobody will suspect Professor Jailbird":

This is simply confusing to me since I've never been certain if they established his name as Jailbird or Snake, and considering he's been called Snake for over a decade now I found it strange how the Jailbird thing was resurrected.

Moe's "I'll out the one of whichever of you are gay" followed by the reaction:

So, they all have something to hide now? Meh. I never liked jokes that randomly puts well-defined characters in a sudden questionability. Had the joke turned directly towards the whole Lenny and Carl sexuality thing it may have been better.

1,2,3,4:

Sort of funny the first time, but problem is that not only does each installment of the joke involved two rounds of counting, but they had to do it three times. So in total in this episode, we heard the Rich Texan count to 24... just to demonstrate he's obsessive compulsive, which according to the story was already demonstrated by his continuously pushing Burns to bring him the photo. Man.. this is way too much attention to his obsessiveness if you ask me. It's like if they had milked Krusty's bi-polar joke in "Midnight Rx" by doing it three times, but let's not imagine what a trainwreck that would have been.

Homer's "stupid" dance:

Another case of dragging out an obvious joke. The ironic humor aspect wears off before Homer stops dancing, so basically I found myself left pitying how childish the joke was having moved on from "getting" the irony behind it.

To me, this many total bombs of jokes within one episode is a disastrous failure. However, the story was so strong and creatively told that the overall experience was still rather enjoyable. It's just such a shame to think of how much better this episode would have been with more creative gags.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I missed the last half, can somebody PLEASE tell me where I can download an .avi version (Torrents don't work under the network I use) of this episode? And if you can't tell me in this thread, please PM me.

Thanks!

And from what I saw, it was an amazing episode. The sheep part could have been better, but I think rich Texan's appearance was his best yet!

First act: 4.5/5

Morman Standard Time Ihaveblink's Avatar

While it was nothing amazing. I was happy to watch this episode. I expected the worse with the first act, but it slowly got better and actually made me laugh. I hope they can keep up this momentum.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    To elaborate, off the top of my head, the jokes I groaned at or found predictable:

Homer's crying really being bats biting him:

Any self-respecting Simpsons fan is trained to see this kind of "twist" coming a mile away by now, and Lisa actually saying "aww, this really touched you, dad?" just gives us more time to see it coming.

Burns saying "bitch":

The slang-use of "bitch" is something that works in some situations and not others. Plus, Burns actually showing signs of being up with the times toes the line of his character, since 99% of the time he's proven himself to be out of touch, and from "pangea" (a way more successful joke from tonight's episode), so when this establishment is violated, the pay-off better be good. In this case it wasn't good. Just unnecessary.

Snake's "nobody will suspect Professor Jailbird":

This is simply confusing to me since I've never been certain if they established his name as Jailbird or Snake, and considering he's been called Snake for over a decade now I found it strange how the Jailbird thing was resurrected.

Moe's "I'll out the one of whichever of you are gay" followed by the reaction:

So, they all have something to hide now? Meh. I never liked jokes that randomly puts well-defined characters in a sudden questionability. Had the joke turned directly towards the whole Lenny and Carl sexuality thing it may have been better.

1,2,3,4:

Sort of funny the first time, but problem is that not only does each installment of the joke involved two rounds of counting, but they had to do it three times. So in total in this episode, we heard the Rich Texan count to 28... just to demonstrate he's obsessive compulsive, which according to the story was already demonstrated by his continuously pushing Burns to bring him the photo. Man.. this is way too much attention to his obsessiveness if you ask me. It's like if they had milked Krusty's bi-polar joke in "Midnight Rx" by doing it three times, but let's not imagine what a trainwreck that would have been.

Homer's "stupid" dance:

Another case of dragging out an obvious joke. The ironic humor aspect wears off before Homer stops dancing, so basically I found myself left pitying how childish the joke was having moved on from "getting" the irony behind it.

To me, this many total bombs of jokes within one episode is a disastrous failure. However, the story was so strong and creatively told that the overall experience was still rather enjoyable. It's just such a shame to think of how much better this episode would have been with more creative gags.
    Thanks, that clear it up for me. Most of the jokes you listed were ones that I didn't hate, but were completely passive to. However, I actually like "Outing the gay one" and the "professor Jailbird" jokes. So I can see why you disliked them even though I disagree. Thanks again though.

P.S. If that many bombed jokes equal a disaster to you, than what was See Homer Run?

And best of all-THE ENDING! The ending was wonderful, amazing, I loved it, could The Simpsons be peaking again?
    Peaking? Hell no. Coming back to greatness? No, I very much doubt it. There's always a fluke here and there.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5. Probably one of the best, if not the best, showings of S17 so far.

I thought the plot was well done. Definitely felt a Trilogy of Error vibe to the plot, which wasn't a bad thing. I enjoy stories that meet up and intertwine with each other. Also, the storytelling concept made it easy for the writers to jump around from scene to scene. Neat format for an episode overall, with an ending that tied it all together.

The gags were, as others have said, pretty hit-or-miss. I didn't like the Rich Texan's OCD 1-2-3-4 routine any of the times he did it. I did however enjoy the subtle (at first) use of the word "nucular." Based on how many times he said it, the writers probably enjoyed putting those lines in...

Moe had some great stuff. I loved seeing Barney back in Moe's bar after tossing him out numerous times. The timing of it was perfect; I thought the "main joke" (Barney's comment) was going to be the end of the scene. I also thought Lenny, Carl, Homer, and Barney's reaction to Moe's de-closeting threat was great.

Best part? Moe's "gun" in the shadows of the cave. Nice performance by Hank Azaria in tonight's episode.

drugdealer keeper awayer Hapablap's Avatar

I've always been a fan of the odd story episodes, and this one was quite good. Great story actually had me curious where it would end. Some good jokes, along with some not so good which tomacco pointed out. I did like the "whichever of you is gay" joke though, it was quick and gave me something to ponder, however briefly. 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Peaking? Hell no. Coming back to greatness? No, I very much doubt it. There's always a fluke here and there.
    I have to word things better.

What I meant was a mini-peak. A short time period where the Simpsons are watchable/enjoyable.

I liked it; the Drunk Barney joke was probably the funniest joke so far this season. A- for now.

Thread Information