View Poll Results: What grade would you give this episode?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

82 35.34%
  • A

73 31.47%
  • A-

43 18.53%
  • B+

12 5.17%
  • B

11 4.74%
  • B-

2 0.86%
  • C+

5 2.16%
  • C

2 0.86%
  • C-

1 0.43%
  • D+ or lower

1 0.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Trilogy of Error

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate and Review: Trilogy of Error

One of the highlights of the Scully episode. Clever, funny and well characterized A

Absolutely fantastic. I wish I had more to post about, but I haven't seen it for a while.

Stonecutter

A* Brilliant episode - the best of Season 12 and really well done overall.

back in black

Easily the best episode in the second half of Season 12, which, along with the first half of Season 14, consists almost entirely of crap. The stories were creative, the jokes were good, my only problem is that there wasn't enough material and too many repeated scenes (the "Son of a diddly" line gets less funny every time you hear it). This is why I'm giving it A-.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

Why you so stupid, stupid? Willmak5389's Avatar

B, good jokes and interesting story-telling but not overall great
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. --Phil. 4:13
    myspace♠ also... Facebook!and...A Wiki-page!

Yeah, it is truly A brilliant episode. A superb example of non-linear storytelling and the best Simpsons episode for many years. It is one of the best of the 2000's, if not the best. Homer's Day, Lisa's Day and Bart's Day intertwine perfectly and all three segments are entertaining and also funny. The characterisation was also more or less spot on - sure, Homer toes the line at times, but he's still pretty good. The only bad part was when Lisa ended up dancing with a nerd. Other than that, it's all good. This episode is highly recommended and it takes me back to the good ol' days.

UPDATE (28/6/2007): Trilogy of Error has been usurped by 24 Minutes as the best Simpsons episode of the 2000's. However, this episode is still as great as I thought it was when I wrote this review.
    Last edited by DaRick; 06-27-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

It's 8/10 material, so it gets an A- from me.

It's non linear form of storytelling came off nice, and the episode was helped on the whole by the fact that there was no need for any deep characterisations in the episode. It maintained interest, and each characters story came off well in the end.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I used to hate this episode. Later I really started to like it. And today I concider it to be a 5/5 episode.

A
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

This episode is the third part to my "trilogy of Season 12 'A' episodes" (the other two are TCWMS and HHH).

Any episode where I can remember where I was when I saw it deserves a good grade.
    Last edited by Xt'Tapalatakettle; 08-12-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

The best storytelling of The Scully Era. Very tightly written intricate and interesting plot with story elements brilliantly interwoven. While Nebuchannezar mentioned characterisations weren't particularly deep I would commend this episode for keeping OFF in-character as much as possible. Homer's zaniness was kept well in check, Lisa was written in a more balanced way than what was the morm during that period and Bart's story is one of the last times they actually captured his child-like activities in a natural and organic manner.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

One of the better stories of the scully era, I did like seeing the segments intertwine, Lisa's story was a tad weak, but it was an all around good episode
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Banned

A+ best of the season. great S12 finale.

^It was the fourth last episode of the season.

I give it an A! Absolutely the best episode from Season 12.
    "You know, those guys in there think I'm crazy...and I am, too!"

An almighty God of Rock mimic91's Avatar

It does stand out as one of the best 2000+ episodes. A-, just because Franke Muniz seemed a little tacked on.
    Somewhere, someone you don't know, just got hit in the crotch. Really hard. Think about that.

Banned

Brilliant And Creative Episode I Must Say

This episode might be my favorite none classic era episode

This has to be one of the most unique and well written episodes the show has ever produced. The plot is actually a parody of some obscure movie called "Run, Lola, Run", but it really doesn't matter if you've seen the movie or not (which none of us have), it's still an excellent episode. The three different stories are simple, but they're executed just the right way with a ton of great jokes. Too many laugh out loud moments to list, one of the most memorable though has to be the irony of Marge giving Chief Wiggum the address "123 Fake Street", and then having it turn out to be a real place where Bart and Milhouse are caught with their fireworks stash. The best part of this episode has to be the way the plots intertwine. Each little detail leads to an event in another part of another story. The writers really outdid themselves on this one. The storyline and the jokes are perfect, and there are a lot of appearances of some of the best secondary characters like the police force and Fat Tony with the mob. This episode looks completely out of place in an episode guide. A brilliant episode worthy of being called a classic, and probably in my top 25 episodes list, and yet it's stuck in the middle of one of the show's worst seasons ever. This has to be the one of about 3 truly standout episodes of the whole Scully era (seasons 9-12). No stupid plots sounding like they came from a "South Park" episode, no crude jokes trying to bring in more of an audience of idiotic ten year olds, and no hints of any other Scully-related madness. I guess even the worst of the worst turn out something of use once in a while. I must've seen this episode 5 times or more by now, but I still can't get enough of it. Just awesome. A+

I agree with all the positive comments about the structure and the original narration of this episode. Probably this is the proof that when the writers try hard to do a good job they can work out it very well. Surely the originality of the idea of Trilogy of Error boosted their will to do a great episode.

Since I get sick very easily by watching cut body parts, Homer's story was a bit disgusting to me, but I guess this is my problem.
    Lisa's story was good, but not very much happened in it.
    Bart was the character who best fitted in to his story IMO, that was very entertaining.

My only complaint is about the resolution of the plots. Marge throwing lisa's robot at Fat Tony and the mob felt a lazy set up for the final explosion, since she had really no reasons to act like that. And the resolution as a whole felt too rushed.
    The humor was good, I enjoyed it, but I didn't find it exceptional.

TOE is a great episode, but definitely not a classic. A-

Maybe it's time to live.... Cerpin Taxt's Avatar

I gave it an A, but pretty much everyone has said what I wanted to, especially Luben.
    Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I refuse to vote on the basis that apparently Nickelodeons viewers have the worst taste in films ever.

Your best is an idiot! Marge For President's Avatar

B+
    One of the best episodes since season 10. The storytelling was fantastic, and I loved how the entire family was involved in the plot and wasn't focused on just Homer/Bart/Lisa/Marge.

It was a parody of Run Lola Run? I never knew. . . . .terrible film.

I'm giving it an A.

Definitely my favorite Scully episode. Put together brilliantly, there were a few plot holes (such as Homer suddenly appearing in the alley when seconds before he was miles out of town) that dampened it a bit, apart from that I loved it...although Frankie Muniz's guest spot was a little bit tacked on. Lisa's Day was my favorite, and I thought it was a good ending, tying in with a previous point from the actual story. Loved seeing "Son of a diddly" over and over...awesome. And Homer's screams when his thumb got cut off = well done Dan C.

Awesome, absolutely awesome.

A.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

One of my favorite all time episodes. A+

HERE COME THE DRUMS! Chief Simpson's Avatar

I must be strange here. I've gotta say, I've never really liked this episode - B. Which is strange, as I think Saddlesore is good. B level good.

I'll have to see it again to rate it. It'll probably get a B+ but I don't know where I can see it again.
    A response to the YouTube video, 'Family Guy Steals From The Simpsons' - Funniest thing I've ever read.
    If you guys didn't notice, Family Guy was produced by the same person that made the Simpsons.
    You can't steal from yourself, therefore, Family Guy can't steal from the Simpsons

You're deceptive

Quote Originally Posted by Marge For President
    terrible film.
    No. Well, the dubbed version maybe. And only a couple of scenes are a parody (mainly the one of Lisa running).

A+
    Best episode of the Scully era and the last A+ I've given to any episode. Absolutely brilliant. I love how some things that seem to be (hilarious) throwaway jokes (the thing with the wire etc) turn out to be major parts of the plot.

A+ One of the best post-classic era episodes. Loved the plot idea, and especially Linguo.

Blog Entries

i'd give a definate A

i dont see it as a bad episode, even though it comes from season 12

its cool showing the three sides of the story thing and that they all end up coming together and making perfect sense.

do the bartman!

I give it an A+. it's simple the best episode of season 12. it has some very good jokes and it's one of the most creative episodes i ever seen
    Season 6 rocks!

pro-Mike Scully : ) Mister Cheech's Avatar

Am I the only one who didn't like this? The monkey got it right when he said the episode made no sense. If I want to watch something that's downright moronic for "comedy"'s sake I'll go turn on Family Guy. And the stupid narrative gimmick does not redeem it at all.

Pageant of the Transmundane Homerpalooza's Avatar

A+

Thread Information