View Poll Results: Nananananananana Batman! I mean Leader!

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

74 56.06%
  • 4/5

24 18.18%
  • 3/5

25 18.94%
  • 2/5

6 4.55%
  • 1/5

3 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: The Joy Of Sect

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: The Joy Of Sect

Quite an unusual episode, but i think it works, and is a good parody of sects.
    5/5

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

I agree this is quite an odd little episode. There is some pretty bad stuff here, most notably some of Homer's behaviour, particularly in the first act shouting things such as "out of my way jerkass" and then later on the blatantly obvious short attention span joke resulting in Homer exclaiming "oh look a bird" and chasing after it. Very Homer Goes To College-esque behaviour.

However, some classic Mirkin humour such as the Special K scene and the overall intriguing nature of the episode make this one of season 9's better efforts. B-

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

5/5.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by California Prunes
    Very Homer Goes To College-esque behaviour.
    I agree.

5/5, A+
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

This is a horribly overrated episode. D+/D
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

This episode had a very interesting plot that produced some good jokes. IMO, the stuff with the movementarians trying to get Homer hypnotized was the best. I give it a B-.

my simpson season ranks:4, 7, 6, 3, 5, 8, 2, 9, 1, 13, 15, 14, 17, 16, 10, 12, 11

Stonecutter

I've always liked this episode, because it's meant to be wacky and just for fun. It was a really good idea for a Simpsons episode. 5/5 A

The first of three times Lovejoy and Flanders tried to convert someone back to Christianity, also the first official jerkass homer appearence. I love this episode though, great gags, very funny. 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    This is a horribly overrated episode. D+/D
    I can see where your coming from, but its a lot funnier than most episodes from season nine (if you don’t take it to seriously). 5/5 A

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiggle_puppy
    The first of three times Lovejoy and Flanders tried to convert someone back to Christianity, also the first official jerkass homer appearence. I love this episode though, great gags, very funny. 5/5
    That alone makes it memorable (although I didn't realise). Anyway, anyone who says this is overrated really ought to compare it to other, worse episodes.

Blog Entries

IMO, the best of the season with hilarity throughout the whole damn episode packed with gags. This one dealt with the religion issue much better than 'Lisa the Skeptic' (imo) and the story was wacky and relied on humor, but it worked. Marge was used well as a matriarch of the family while other families were in their own oblivion of being brainwashed by their own weaknesses or somethign that pertains to their weaknesses... it is also ironic that Homer became to normal self after experiencing a taste of his own weakness, beer. Scenes with Burns and Smithers went kinda off topic but was the most hilarious point of the episode, imo. Oh, and it was gutty for Nancy Cartwright (a devoted Scientologist) to say "Church, cult, cult, church. So we get bored someplace else every Sunday. Does this really change our day to day lives?" A/A+ for this episode. It's not your usual episode of the grade I'm giving, but the wackiness here worked well.
    calmer than you are

a really good and funny episode for me too. Think the story with the topic sects is well done and with good gags. Also with some truth in it.

B+

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
    IMO, the best of the season with hilarity throughout the whole damn episode packed with gags. This one dealt with the religion issue much better than 'Lisa the Skeptic' (imo) and the story was wacky and relied on humor, but it worked. Marge was used well as a matriarch of the family while other families were in their own oblivion of being brainwashed by their own weaknesses or somethign that pertains to their weaknesses... it is also ironic that Homer became to normal self after experiencing a taste of his own weakness, beer. Scenes with Burns and Smithers went kinda off topic but was the most hilarious point of the episode, imo. Oh, and it was gutty for Nancy Cartwright (a devoted Scientologist) to say "Church, cult, cult, church. So we get bored someplace else every Sunday. Does this really change our day to day lives?" A/A+ for this episode. It's not your usual episode of the grade I'm giving, but the wackiness here worked well.
    Very well said. I liked to add that most of the religious jokes were references based on real cults and religious groups which is part of the reason the episode is so funny. In regards to Nancy Cartwright, I think most people would say a few critical jokes about thier beliefs, except for Issac Hayes, who quit South Park after an episode made fun of Scientology, if they were getting paid as much as the Simpson actors($100,000 per episode at the time I think).
    Last edited by The Foot; 12-17-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Like South Park's Trapped In The Closet, this is a brilliant parody of sects that sadly still rings true today. The characterizations were starting to fray by then, but I love literally everything else about this episode. There was some wackiness, sure (How could there not be? The idea of the Movementarians is ridiculous to begin with), but there's plenty of wit to balance it. By far and away my favorite episode of season 9 and, by extension, pretty much every season that followed. I miss Mirkin. He was actually funny. 5/5

This episode was okay. Definetely not my favorite. Originates one of my favorite Homer quotes, though: "Get out of my way, jerk-ass!"

I would give it a 5/5 though I have seen it to many times.

From early 90s to today; from cute to hot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6M_RGiyn4

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5 i liked it a lot

"Marge you're the leader? You don't look anything like the beans!"

This is definately one of the best of season 9. It is funny from start to finish and I believe this is one of the last few 'classics.'
    "She's not my special lady, she's my fucking lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive, man."

One of the best of S10, and I will out myself as a fan of the sillier and stranger episodes, hence I give this episode a 3.5/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Love the satire and there are simply a ton of great jokes in this one. One of the best of season 9 I would have to say. Low 5/5.

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granto View Post
    One of the best of S10, and I will out myself as a fan of the sillier and stranger episodes, hence I give this episode a 3.5/5
    This was during season 9, Granto

Blog Entries

5/5

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFiles View Post
    This was during season 9, Granto
    Thanks for making me look like an IDIOT! Season 9 is of course what I meant

For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar

very original, very funny, very mirkiny, and somewhat crazy.

4/5

they got a point the media is so much more powerful than cults

Groin-grabbingly transcedent Uosdwis R. Jewoh's Avatar

i'll go 5/5 i thought it was hilarious with a good story

Junior Camper

5/5 I remember that this was one of the first Simpsons episodes I saw. It is a fantastic episode. It's different from the majority of the Simpsons episodes so it creates a lot of original jokes. Also a great parody on sects and cults.

the original Sex Pistol

I used to think that this episode is tremendously overrated. But I've seen this episode twice in the last coupla weeks and it is really good. Still slightly overrated, but good. 4/5

Junior Camper

One of my top five favourite season nine episodes,5/5.

Pretty funny episode. One of the few where I'm not bothered by jerkass Homer. 4/5

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the most overrated ever; Homer was overly stupid, the plot completely off the wall and thin, and the satire very easy. The only thing that redeems this episode are a couple of funny moments and the fact most of the characters were in character. But this one really doesn't work for me and I'd say it's in at least the bottom 3 for season 9.

5/10

C

(I'm gunna be harsh and give it a 2/5, even though it could scrape a 3/5, purely based on my gut instinct)

Thread Information