• D-

13 10.92%
  • F

23 19.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R: Bart to the Future

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Formally Fry-O-Rama Homer Defined's Avatar

This episode is definitely the weakest future episodes and one of the bottom of Season 11. I haven't seen this episode in several years until today so something I found ironic was that Lisa was elected president right after Donald Trump considering he did actually start to run for president for this upcoming 2012 election. Overall most of this episode was hit and miss, nothing that special about it. One scene I really enjoyed though was the part with Moe, Lenny, and Carl when they got excited thinking they were going to be getting refund money, but then their attitudes change when Bart reveals it's really an undercover tax hike and Lenny's line about how he voted for Chasity Bono cracked me up. Also I know the thing about Maggie and how much she's grown up was supposed to be a joke, but it felt kinda odd since she was aged up to a teenager in "Lisa's Wedding", but I digress. 5/10 D-/F+
    Jimbo Jones: [about Homer] I hear that guy's ass has it's own congressman!
    Bart Simpson: I wash myself with a rag on a stick.
    Homer Simpson: [takes cap out of dryer and puts it on his head] Mmmmm... I CAN feel three types of softness.
    Lisa Simpson: [from upstairs] Dad, what are you doing down there?
    Homer Simpson: Washing my fat guy's hat honey!

Objectively this is a terrible episode, but for some reason I just find it hilarious. I realise that this episode has all sorts of plot and characterisation issues, but the humour consistently finds its mark as far as I'm concerned, more so than for quite a few season 11 episodes. This is definitely a guilty pleasure episode for me. It helps, I think, that I can stop caring greatly about plot and characterisation if I'm laughing.

i like this episode. am i the only one who liked the design of Bart. it just makes me laugh. in fact, future Homer does too. this is certainly not one of the worst episodes in my eyes. nothing to do with the actual show, but, the commentary is great (Dan Greaney's explanations).

Bart's just keeping it real. you guys just can't handle what he's laying down.

^"ARE YOU SUre we can't talk you into it"

^future Homer with the stovepipe hat is great.

^"ooo tasty. that calls for some tuneskies."

i gave this a B-.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea
    The Chinese must be getting desperate.

continuously shaking head c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

caught some of this on TV, didn't catch the beginning. Man, it was shittier than I remembered. Bart is just really, really annoying and the whole episode just feels like a gimmick as opposed to an interesting exploration of characters in the future (even Holidays of Future Passed managed that). Also, virtually no laughs.

D

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    Bart's just keeping it real. you guys just can't handle what he's laying down.

I really hated this episode. It isn't funny, they already did this storyline before with Lisa's future wedding (and then again in Future-drama), Ralph's voice hasn't changed and I don't get how Lisa manages to be president.This is the worst episodes in Season 11. F

The Chasity Bono gag doesn't work anymore

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I don't think this episode is quite as terrible as people say, but it's still not very good. I doubt Lisa's presidency is at all realistic (I would think congress would be more involved), and Bart is very unlikeable. But seeing what Lisa's presidency might be like (even if it is unrealistic) is kind of interesting. Overall, I don't consider this episode to be one of the worst of all time; I certainly find it more enjoyable than Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, for example, but it is still pretty bad. 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 07-17-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Senor Homer For The Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Humor: Very unfunny. The only really funny moment is Crazy Talk but the rest is mostly bore. Grade: D-

Plot: Meh, it just feels like a much worse Lisas Wedding. While Lisas Wedding was a masterpiece this one is pretty crappy overall. Grade: D-

Characters: Eh, it was weird that everyone was acting the same in the future, but i suppose other than that, the characters were okay, but maybe they should have been funnier. Grade: D-

Not worst ever but im pretty sure i would put it in a bottom 50. Grade: D-
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Blog Entries

Everyone told me this was the worst episode ever, but I ended up liking it more than Lisa's Wedding. Fuck.

8/10
    My Top 100 Simpsons episodes

My Simpsons season rankings (1-22):

6 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 10 > 4 > 9 > 2 > 12 > 1 > 11 > 16 > 15 > 17 > 13 > 14 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 21 > 22

Simon Era - Reiss Era - Mirkin Era - Oakley Era - Scully Era - Jean Era

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalinDragon View Post
    Everyone told me this was the worst episode ever, but I ended up liking it more than Lisa's Wedding. Fuck.

8/10
    Lisa's Wedding is overrated, but compared to this, it's a prophetic dream.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

i'm with you AD, much better then lisa's wedding.

I rewatched it today and it just came off as mediocre,
    The opening isn't bad and the Crazy Talk joke can still make me laugh, the main story looking at Bart in the future is average, my instinct that the story is showing the future Bart in a bad way in hope to make Bart who is watching the vision improve or something. Dan Greaney says on the commentary that he didnt want to focus that it was set in the future and this shows a bit, there is more of a focus on the characters (well focus on one character really(Bart)) in the future rather than the new technology. The B-story with Homer looking for gold is silly and pointless and is probaly one of the worst things about the episode. But having said that piece about Bart in this episode, he behaves like a jerk really, he's lazy, he asks people for money and won't do anything with his life. Lisa doesnt come off as the wiser character she once was and is instead just a President who happens to be Lisa. The verdict I have come to is, there are some jokes, but they are limited and some of them arent even funny, the charaterization is debatable but in my view Bart comes across as a Lazy jerk and the rest of the SImpsons dont have much change to their characters at all. Nice ideas but ultimatley the end product didn't deliver 5/10

Thread Information