17 10.30%
  • F

19 11.52%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate &/or Review: When You Dish Upon a Star

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter

Rate &/or Review: When You Dish Upon a Star

Underrated. I don't think Homer's a jerk, I think there's some good humour and it's kinda fun in a silly way. I do hate how the episode turns out though, and some painful joke like Homer twisting his neck, Homer not reading etc, are simply not funny. B-

On reflection, a very mixed episode. Some funny jokes (the PETA one, for instance) can be found alongside some very unfunny or abortive ones (Homer not reading, which is more or less a continuity screwup, something I don't like). The usage of Kim Basinger, Alec Baldwin and Ron Howard was shameful, but sometimes also quite funny. Homer, by the way, has acted like more of a tool, but he does reach the depths by donning Kim Basinger's bra (I found this to actually quite funny; I have no shame :silly: ). This was looking at a B- until the pretty poor ending (another obvious soon-to-be continuity killer), which brings it down to a C+.

F

Truly awful. Ridiculous ending, jerkass Homer at his prime and of course, the infamous "Homer can't read" joke.

This is a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad episode. Very. Jerkass Homer, minimal entertainment, and the crap ending. Bottom 5 material, it is beyond me how the writer of "Mother Simpson", "Bart on the Road" and "Bart After Dark" could lose his way.

Z
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    Bottom 5 material, it is beyond me how the writer of "Mother Simpson", "Bart on the Road" and "Bart After Dark" could lose his way.

Z
    It's easy: PLAY THE "CLASSIC" CIRCULAR REASONING GAME: The rules are simple. Start with the original (negative) review, counter with a flawed percentage on how much better the show is compared to the rest of TV, after a couple of years, introduce a glowing opinion from someone who's only seen three episodes, liberally add more "it's get better with age!" BS end the game (a winner every time) concluding that every Simpsons episode is "Classic!".

EDIT: I made this my sig.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    It's easy: PLAY THE "CLASSIC" CIRCULAR REASONING GAME: The rules are simple. Start with the original (negative) review, counter with a flawed percentage on how much better the show is compared to the rest of TV, after a couple of years, introduce a glowing opinion from someone who's only seen three episodes, liberally add more "it's get better with age!" BS end the game (a winner every time) concluding that every Simpsons episode is "Classic!".
    Hmm, I don't get it. Are you being cynical of people appreciating episodes they once hated ?

On topic, this one prominently remains on my worst episodes list. Paper thin plot of Homer serving celebrities and then turning against thm which may not have been that big a concern had the whole thing was funny. Unfortunately Homer's Yogi Bear dream and his bad film idea is the only decent material here : the rest is full of banal celebrity self-gratification and the continuing source of humour being the wacky antics of an over-the-top,loudmouth,brutish,retarded to the max jerkass Homer. His behaviour is downright creepy and disturbing in here : what the hell is up with the jokes concerning Homer smelling their hair while they are sleeping and kissing them while tucking them in and mocking Kim basinger by holding her bra over his shirts ? Just bad and the very notion of calling this as being underrated automatically qualifies as overrating it. D
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Bottom 5 material, it is beyond me how the writer of "Mother Simpson", "Bart on the Road" and "Bart After Dark" could lose his way.
    I heard that. It's definitely a stain on Richard Appel's writing record. If it turns out that he was merely assigned the story and most of it was rewritten under Scully's supervision, I wouldn't be surprised. As part of season 10 it doesn't really stand out as any worse than the rest of the Homer gets a new job episodes, but it's probably the worst of the 5F production season. I'll give it a C- for a few amusing bits and the Yogi opening.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Story is really weak, but some lines in it stick out to me as funny enough to completely write off the episode, i.e.- "candywrapper caught in an updraft", "Gersh Agency", "the pie is your heart." I'm not a big fan of the episode by any means, but that's not to say I didn't laugh a few times.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

back in black

I've noticed that the general fan reaction to Richard Appel's episodes starts out great with "Mother Simpson" (among the best rookie efforts of all time) and gradually decreases with every subsequent episode up until "When You Dish Upon a Star". Maybe he was overworked?

It was saved from the D grade from the "Yogi Bear" themed opening and some of Homer's lines (the scene at the Kwik-E-Mart and that movie script he wrote are two examples). It was an average episode until about the point the secret was broken and all of Springfield knows about the celebrities. By act:

Act I: B-
    Act II: B-
    Act III: F
    Overall: C-
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    Hmm, I don't get it. Are you being cynical of people appreciating episodes they once hated ?
    Yeah, I am.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

Absolutely pitiful plot, and absolutely pitiful execution by the man who created the pitiful "The Pitt's." Poor Richard Appel, I am sure he is a much better writer than this (well this is evident by looking at his other written eps) but as we have seen before with other great writers in the classic era, hand the script to Scully and you will be sorry.

Quite possibly the worst plot in Simpsons history doesn't play out any better than you would expect. Captain Wacky in his most over the top, nasty, truly unlikeable state. I agree with Imperciph in that not only is he annoying and brutish here but he is also creepy and disturbing. There is practically nothing I liked here and I wouldn't be sad never to see this episode again. By no means underrated in my opinion.

- 1 more thing. Although I have complained vehemently against some of the guest appearances in the Jean era, none of those appearances reach the dizzying lows that Alec Baldwin's and Kim Basinger's do. Remember the days when 'The Simpsons' used to rip into celebrities and weren't afraid to speak their mind. I miss those old cynical writers.

As for the ep - F
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

Quote Originally Posted by California Prunes
    Remember the days when 'The Simpsons' used to rip into celebrities and weren't afraid to speak their mind. I miss those old cynical writers.
    Yeah, remember when they ripped on Dustin Hoffman? That was classic.

Saxomaphone!

This gets a solid D from me. One of the worst ever due to the shameless promotion of the guest stars, boring-as-dirt plot and ridiculous chase scene at the end (except it wouldn't be a Scully ep without one). There are a few episodes that suck more in S10, but this is still hard to sit through and I should never feel that way about a Simpsons episode.

One highlight: the very beginning with the Yogi Bear parody was funny.
    Homer's Brain: "Oh glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty that is God's creation."
    Homer: "Holy macaroni!"
    My DVD Collection
    TOP 25:
    1. Homer the Heretic
    2. Marge vs. the Monorail
    3. Last Exit to Springfield
    4. Treehouse of Horror V
    5. Cape Feare
    6. Home-Sweet-Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
    7. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    8. Lisa’s First Word
    9. Simpson and Delilah
    10. Lisa’s Sax
    11. $pringfield
    12. 22 Short Films About Springfield
    13. Mr. Plow
    14. Mother Simpson
    15. I Love Lisa
    16. El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    17. Bart of Darkness
    18. A Streetcar Named Marge
    19. You Only Move Twice
    20. Treehouse of Horror VI
    21. Homer’s Enemy
    22. Rosebud
    23. Krusty Gets Kancelled
    24. Bart the Lover
    25. A Fish Called Selma

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

D+
    Pretty bad. Just like many other people,I hated Homer's character here.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Hypertechnometalfiend
    Under a big 'T', Southampton, Englandville

D-
    Watched the whole ep hoping to find something positive to add to the thread....oh well.
    Stealing, stealing, stealing a car for Moe
    Da da da dah da da da dah, insurance fraud today!

There are a number of good jokes in these episode, but not enough to make it worthwhile. On its surface, the plot isn't horrible, but the writers didn't do anything. The celebrities were annoying, although Ron Howard pitching Homer's movie idea was pretty funny. D+

I haven't seen this episode in a long time, but I remember I ended up being really bored by it. It's quite sad how this was a Season 9 holdover, because if it had been aired during season 9 I think it would have damaged that season's status of being partially classic.

It was that unenjoyable that the only bit I can remember distinctly is the snapping turtle thing from the start. Apart from that, common Season 10 drivel. And how the hell could Richard Appel have written this?

2/5
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Ron Howard made me smile a couple times, other than that.

D-

Crappy episode, with crappy guest stars (save for Ron Howard.)

D

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    the infamous "Homer can't read" joke.
    Once again, I think you learn how to take a joke even if it isn't consistent or doesn't fit into your grand scheme of how you see the character. Though Homer has been showed reading before, the show is not exactly known for its continuity. A similar comment was made in Marge's Son Poisoning in which Homer had to fight a battle with illiteracy. Numerous times Homer has been shown unable to read. Homer is not the brightest bulb, so these are just exaggerations of his ineptitude. Krusty has been illiterate since Season 1, yet that has not remained consistent.

So in short, there are many other reasons to not like this episode.

Blog Entries

This episode is a perfect example how Scully ruined the Simpsons. Yeah, 'twas Season 10, and Season 9 was good, but what happened? Well, first of all, I liked Homer doing the water skating, but the plot was absolutely pitiful. (guest star without good impact on the humor-how sad is that?) It's just another 'Homer Jerkass' story... nuff said... some humors were good though

Oh yeah, and there goes the one of the worst endings I've seen

C-
    calmer than you are

I've been pre-Programed to like any Simpson episode since birth,... but this episode Reeealy tested my stamina. I started living in fear of guest star heavy plots from that Episode till today. "C"

The Galaxy of Terror (Dont worry, its just a name)

sheesh.... F- one of the all time lows
    Drink Happy Family Brand Bourbon!!!

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

The Yogi Bear joke was funny, and the following sight gags mildly amusing. But from the moment Homer crashed through the window to the ending, the episode was absolute and utter celebrity endorsing trash. I thought that the episode had great animation, but was utterly and shamefully wasted. D-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar

Ron Howard and the Yogi joke was the only thing redeeming in this episode.

not black mozart chocolatey socrates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not really as bad an episode as people make out. I love it when Ron Howard fails the car jump, nothing wrong with the occasional bit of good 'ol slapstick.

Blog Entries

C+

really bad episode. i agree with you grubermeister, there are some pretty good jokes and moments but all in all its just a big pile of shit

Not a r-tard

The first Simpson episode to fail on every level, and would signify what was to come over the next three years. As a director, Ron Howard should have known better. As actors...I don't really blame the other two, since it's their job to surpress their opinions of scripts. I'm surprised so many people found the Yogi Bear sequence to be funny; I hated it - F
    Season Grades...
    1 - B, 2 - A+, 3 - A, 4 - A+, 5 - A-, 6 - A+, 7 - A+, 8 - A, 9 - C+, 10 - D+, 11 - F, 12 - C-, 13 - B-, 14 - B, 15 - B+, 16 - B, 17 - C+, 18 - C-

Season 19
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - D+/D
    The Homer of Seville - C-
    Midnight Towboy - N/A
    I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - B-

You're deceptive

Homer's characterisation doesn't bother me but the celebrities piss me off. And it's not very funny.

The long and winding road.. Fugitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnny two hats
    C+

really bad episode. i agree with you grubermeister, there are some pretty good jokes and moments but all in all its just a big pile of shit
    Well, it's not the best..the only thing really that's good is when Ron Howard falls off the car. I gave the episode a D- btw.
    Last edited by Fugitive; 06-03-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Information