• A

7 2.94%
  • A+ (what's wrong with you?)

16 6.72%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Alone Again Natura-Diddly

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate & Review: Alone Again Natura-Diddly

This is one of the worst episodes ever. If they really felt that they had to kill Maude, why did they have to make a whole episode about it? The way she was killed was absolutly horrible, and the characterizations of Homer, Bart & Flanders were awful. I hated the 'rest in pee' gag. It wasn't better that Flanders starting dating directly after her dead, and refusing to go to church.
    F

I accidentaly though it was Home Sweet Home Dum- Diddley Doodly, so I voted A+.

Anyway this episode is beyond awful.

Pin Pal

Not much to add; it had possibly the worst characterization of Flanders ever (beating up Moe and refusing to go to church in front of Rod and Tod are probably his lowest moments), the subject of death was handled in the most tasteless manner, most of the gags were horrible (Homer's bulging torso with the ketchup bull's-eye, the video tape with Marge giving birth), the meta-references (Ian Maxtone-Graham's name on the screen, the numerous character changes, Maude not having any catchphrases, Homer not having a regular job anymore) were too obvious and in-your-face, and the ending with the song about Ned getting on with his life completely trivialized the bereavement issue. Homer was like a bastardized version of himself from Homer Loves Flanders and the contrivance in the sudden switch in persona from a completely obnoxious loud-mouthed jerkass before Maude's death, to a creepy, insincere Flanders-loving sycophant (like kissing Ned in bed) was all too obvious. There is really very, very little to like in this episode. D-

Terrible episode but I don't think it deserves an F for some reason I don't know. D-

my simpson season ranks:4, 7, 6, 3, 5, 8, 2, 9, 1, 13, 15, 14, 17, 16, 10, 12, 11

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

This episode has THE worst first act ever. But I think Ned's situation became more engaging, and the ending is nice. These are minimal compliments though, as even in the third act there's still a bunch of shitty material with Homer.

D+
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

I was unhappy with the way Maud had died. It seemed too off-the-wall for me. The episode on a whole is rather poor with perhaps the dating video being the highlight where his pin is recorded and other mad things happen in it.

D-
    Top 25 Simpsons episodes:

1. $pringfield
    2. Homer Badman
    3. Secrets of a Succesfull Marriage
    4. Blood Feud
    5. Last Exit to Springfield
    6. The Cartridge Family
    7. Lisa Gets An A
    8. Lisa The Simpson
    9. A Milhouse Divided
    10.Treehouse of Horror III
    11.Homer and Apu
    12.Half-Decent Proposal
    13.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
    14.Homer the Heretic
    15.Homer v Patty and Selma
    16.Itchy and Scratchy Land
    17.Marge Be Not Proud
    18.A Fish Called Selma
    19.Homer's Phobia
    20.A Star Is Torn
    21.The Ziff Who Came To Dinner
    22.Bart The Genuis
    23.Like Father, Like Clown
    24.Joy of Sect
    25.Girlie Edition.

Stonecutter

I agree with Fuzzy. Though I'd give the episode a C.

The kids can call you HoJu

Maude dying was absolute crap. C-
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by NoHomers.net
    DO THE BARTMAN!!!!!!

There isn't a single redeeming feature. Anything more than an F is generous.

^ Yup. But I was feeling generous so I gave it a D The last time I saw it, there were a few genuine laughs. However, this episode is so bad I can't even remember those jokes I laughed at.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

I gave it a C. I didn't like most of it ('rest in pee', Maude's death, Ned & Homer's characters), but there were other things which I did like, which saved it from getting an F.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

The Good Lookin' Guy

I thought it was a bad episode. If Maggie Roswell didn't want to do the show much anymore, they could have had Maude go mute like Phil Hartman's characters (Troy McClure, Lional Hutz) and Doris Grou's character, Lunchlady Doris.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Lovejoy
    but there were other things which I did like, which saved it from getting an F.
    Anything involving a certain reverend, by any chance? Anyway, the episode sucked noodles. D

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

B

*cowers*

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adzzzzzzzzzz
    Anything involving a certain reverend, by any chance? Anyway, the episode sucked noodles. D
    Well, he appeared more in this episode than in most of season 11, which is gives it a slight advantage, IMO. :angry: Anyway, it's certainly not A+ material (although 7 people thing it is, apparently).

Good episode. Maudes death was handled excellently. Funny episode, don't have a problem with this one.

Pin Pal

I ordinarily hate reviews that don't really have anything to say, but there is nothing positive about this episode. It is probably the worst episode of all time. Pretty much everything that is wrong with post-classic era episodes is in this episode. F.
    my political compass (politicalcompass.org)
    Economic Left/Right: -6.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.25

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes Sr.
    I accidentaly though it was Home Sweet Home Dum- Diddley Doodly, so I voted A+.
    Yes, I see perfectly well what's wrong with you now.

The humour was way off, the plot wasn't impactful, and it didn't do a very good job of setting up Maude's death either. On the other hand, Season 11 has worse episodes. I'll give it a C- (2/5).
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

You know how I feel about foot-longs. D
    why am i even boarding

i should be passing out right now

this laptop has very comfortable keys

this is a sursprisingly eloquent post

personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar

C+- With repeated viewings it sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Cool
    I thought it was a bad episode. If Maggie Roswell didn't want to do the show much anymore, they could have had Maude go mute like Phil Hartman's characters (Troy McClure, Lional Hutz) and Doris Grou's character, Lunchlady Doris.
    Not a plausible idea without divorce involved.

"SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Nothing really more to add to the other negative comments, but it suck-diddly-ucked. A horrible idea, handled in a horrible way. The only redeeming thing is the animation, which was pretty much wasted on this. D-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This is always the one I mention in those "Episodes you like that everyone else hates." I thought it was sweet...

B

I'm gonna leave now before the mob arrives.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

*reads comments* some people are tough critics Flander's episodes are hard to do and to kill of the wife of a man whom has seen him through he's loss of faith, the rise fall and rise again his shop.... and to be killed out by a flying t-shirt... well... come on Ned.
    This episode is a solid C+ and if you keep on playing the bit where the t-shirt hits Maude in a flash, it's hilarious.
    Hans Off My Moleman + Mother Skinner
    Will Do Grabpics For Websites: e-mail me

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

A C+ or B- at absolute best. It got rid of a character nobody cared about, and they did it in a really lousy way
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I just saw this episode again while watching the Scully episodes in order, and was surprised at how well-characterized Homer was and how much depth Ned's conflict had. I still haven't changed my mind on the horrible first act, though...Scully apparently thought animals acting like humans was funny, and this is the worst example of that. Oh well, the first act is mostly unrelated to the rest of the story...I'm fine with skipping ahead to the second act

B-

Literally mind-blowing Dental Plan!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better than people say. The characterisation WAS bad and so was the plot, but it was funny...very funny. At least I thought so...I give it a B

This is one of the worst episodes ever. If they really felt that they had to kill Maude, why did they have to make a whole episode about it?
    Because Maude is a bit important, perhaps? And that her death would probably leave a very lasting impact

I didn't adore this episode, but I thought it was all right. I have virtually no soul, so I didn't really care about how she died, I thought it just intensified the unexpectedness of the event. Killed by a t-shirt *Shakes Head* This episode took place before I ever even heard of the internet, so I was wondering who was going to die after seeing the Fox promos. For some reason, the crazy 11 year old self thought it would be Bart. I was left in a state of shock when Maude was announced to be dead.

I liked the funeral scene and thought the sorrow surrounding Maude's death was genuine, though Homer was a bit annoying at times. I thought they went into the searching for a new one a bit too quickly, but Ned was obviously uninterested so it didn't really make a difference. I did find his redating scenes to be funny.

At the Third Act, I love Ned's spiritual struggle and how he finally grew frustrated with Maude's death. But, as the quick transition to him going "Im sorry im sorry im sorry!" showed, he was still very religious and then at church found Rachael Jordan (whose music I enjoyed). I liked how they didn't immediately start off a romance, but gave the potential. I still wait eagerly for Rachael Jordan's reapparence, she was much better than Zelda or whatever the other lover's name was

B

I thought it could have been polished a bit more, and some jokes I did not like such as Moe's "Send me to Maude!" But overall, I have no problem with killing off Maude or the way they did it. I'd much rather it be an unrealistic, sudden stray t-shirt than slowly dying of cancer. As for charachter changes that occured because of the events of this episode, I rest issue with the future episodes, not this one

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

It's hard to make a funny episode about someone's death. That's why this episode is bashed so much. They had to do this one,though. I actually like some parts of it,the begining was hilarious. I also found the song at the end pretty cool. It's average overall. C-
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

The thing that bugs me about this episode is that if handeled better, could have been a very touching, good episode. Maude's death was incredibly stupid, and because of that, it didn't have the impact that it could have.

D+.

laughing time is ovah! Henrik P's Avatar

C-

How can they kill Maude?

Thread Information