View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
399. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

75 18.80%
  • 4/5

132 33.08%
  • 3/5

119 29.82%
  • 2/5

49 12.28%
  • 1/5

24 6.02%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Homer's Paternity Coot" (HABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Rate/Review "Homer's Paternity Coot" (HABF03)

The Simpsons' first episode of 2006 sees Homer go in search of his real father. Here's how Fox describes the episode:

"Marge's rage against the new toll road system somehow leads to the discovery of a frozen mailman and his 40-year-old mail. The letters are returned to the rightful recipients, including one to Grandpa Simpson's deceased wife, revealing a secret love affair and the real father of her baby, Homer. Confused and emotional, Homer finds Mason Fairbanks, his wealthy and much improved paternal dad, and happily establishes a father-son relationship with him while rejecting his surrogate father of 40 years. But soon Homer realizes that a DNA test doesn't necessarily tell who his true father is..."

HABF03 Homer's Paternity Coot was written by Joel H. Cohen and stars Michael York, William H. Macy and Joe Frazier.

Pin Pal

4/5

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Detailed review when i download it later.

...And here it is.
    Last edited by That Jerk; 01-09-2006 at 12:48 PM.

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

5/5

Wonderful
    I was saying "Boo-urns."

Season 19 Ratings:
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - A
    The Homer of Seville - C+
    Midnight Towboy - A+
    I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - A

good episode...i like grandpa episodes for some reason...
    4/5

Stonecutter

Great episode with some beautifully animated scenes. 4/5

Oh, the zombies...No.

I thought it was one of the funniest episodes in quite some time, personally. The story went above it's expectations for me and flowed well, and there were many laugh out loud moments abound. I'll go 5/5.

Very enjoyable episode, and generally very good characterizations of all characters. A couple of jokes either dragged on too long or didn't work, but overall it had both humor and storyline going for it. Although I'm not entirely sure why Abe switched the nametags on the bottles. Was it because he thought that Mason was definitely his dad and didn't want Homer to know? I assume so, but I'm not sure it was clear, the room I was watching it in was occasionally noisy.

4/5 by general standards
    5/5 by current season standards
    Signature.

Junior Camper

I thought it was surprisingly funny.
    I thought that opening segment with the smoke damaged item sales was particularly funny, (when was the last time you drove by fire only to think, 'How can this benefit me?')

4/5

3/5

William H. Macy got beaten up. I knew they didn't like people who were in the movie, "Fargo". Some funny stuff but obviously a bunch of people guessed what would happen and the ending was pretty much a lost cause. A couple of jokes made me laugh but Lisa and Grandpa's conversation about the fan SCREAMED Family Guy. From the pauses in between each line of dialogue to the phony voice Lisa had. Not to say I didn't enjoy it but, it just felt like a Family Guy joke.

Also, in the flashback with little Homer, he had his big Homer voice but in past seasons, it shows Homer older than the one they showed tonight and he didn't have the big Homer voice yet. CONTINUITY ERROR! CONTINUITY ERROR! If you're a fan of the show, Undergrads, you'll understand that and won't make fun of me for it.
    Marge: Have you noticed any change in Bart?
    Homer: New glasses?
    Marge: No...he looks like something might be disturbing him.
    Homer: Probably misses his old glasses.
    Marge: I guess we could get more involved in Bart's activities but then I'd be afraid of smothering him.
    Homer: Yeah, and then we'd get the chair.
    Marge: That's not what I meant.
    Homer: It was, Marge, admit it.

Tomacco, I think it was because Abe thought Homer was so happy to be with Mason that it would be mean of him to split them up, so he let Homer believe Mason was his real dad

I really liked this episode. Homer has been great all year, but in this episode he's basically back to normal. I knew where the story was going, but I really didn't care because the jokes worked and I generally cared about the characters. A-

No wonder he won Minnesota. Sarcastic Guy II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    not entirely sure why Abe switched the nametags on the bottles. Was it because he thought that Mason was definitely his dad and didn't want Homer to know?
    Grampa was positive Homer was his son but saw how happy Mason made Homer, so he switched them.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Wow, quite an awesome sequence with the underwater stuff. That was a pretty good third act. I loved the awkward nursing home visit. The second act had too many lame gags though. Overall, this episode actually had me thinking Grampa wasn't the real father, and in the end, it avoided any "Principal and the Pauper" story lameness for the most part.

First act - B
    Second act - C-
    Third act - A-

Overall: B-

Edit: I think you're wrong, HalfwayCrook. Just because Family Guy may overuse the awkward situation gag doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to use it. It felt like a realistic situation to me.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Great episode 5/5

Junior Camper

Only problems I had with the episode were that it seems like they think they need to put a joke in every five seconds or else the viewer will stop paying attention, and I did not like the resolution. It happened so quickly and with such little explanation, I was a bit unsure of what just happened and why.

Bring Back Oakley and Weinstein!

Wow, that was an awesome show right there. Probably my favorite one this season. The plot was great, and the animation was beautiful. Top-notch work by all involved; I especially loved the fan segment, since its slow pacing reminded me of what worked so well about early episodes. Some stuff didn't work well though, but everything that did was funny and/or emotionally effective. 4/5

One of the only good thing I can say about this episode is that it was consistent.
    The only problem is that it was consistently bad. Seeing the entire opener
    was nice but it let me know that the episode would be very short.

The whole toll booth incident leading to the melting of the ice cap to reveal the mailman made absolutely no sense. Since when does smoke cause melting? It was a pretty weak way to start the entire story.

I really didn't like the joke about how the dog's butt could be scrunged up to look like Abe. That joke might be funny on Nickelodeon shows for 8 years old but not on The Simpsons.

William H. Macy was a waste. That whole segment was a waste and unfunny.

The only funny scene was the exchange between Lisa and Abe at the Springfield Retirement Castle.

All the stuff underwater and on the boat were beatifully animated.

At the end, I just didn't believe that Homer's accident would change his frame of mind. I suspected that Abe might have changed the test tubes and I was glad that they made sure that Abe was still Homer's true father.

Overall, the great quality of directing and animation couldn't make up for a mostly boring episode. 2/5.
    [RIGHT]

Ever since I heard the episode description for this one, I've been absolutely dreading it.... the very notion of Abe not being Homer's father seemed so cringe-worthy that I just didn't want to believe that it was actually going to be a real episode. The second act break with Dr. Hibbert revealing Homer's real father "sealed the deal" on a terrible series plot-twist.... and it seemed as though by the end it was going to wrap up with Homer acting like "Well, you've always been a true father to me", which is something so predictable I was expecting at that point.... but luckily, the revelation of Grampa having switched the names surprised me for the best. I'm so glad that they didn't ruin 17 years of Grampa/Homer relationship.

That aside, and looking back onto the episode, the jokes were good, I loved seeing the entire opening credits for once these days, the couch gag was good, the direction and animation of the episode were both very good, and the episode basically came together far better than I could ever have expected it to. The gags were good, and I liked how the emotion was kept seperate.
    So for turning out a good episode and exceeding my expectations by such a huge amount, I'll go with a 5/5
    [SIZE=1]

the episode was good the only problem was it felt it was rushed but still great 5/5

Damn, my VCR screwed the tape up. I'll just have to record it when it reairs.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was great! Probably the best of the season yet. 5/5

New secret revealed: Marge was born in February.

I'm SO glad that Abe is Homer's real (biological) father, but the full story behind the affair Mona had is still somewhat hazy. This would mean that Abe and Mona had sex sometime before it was assumed that this mystery guy would be the real father.

And why DID Abe switch the DNA Test results anyway? Maybe to keep the episode from ending 5 minutes earlier?

The pacing of the jokes were somewhat slow, and they don't to make a joke every few seconds. That's soemthing they gotta work on for next year.

So the only other thing we learned in this story, except that Mona was a cheater.

This was just an okay episode. Some jokes didn't work as well as they could have, and it was basically just a story were a funny twist occurs.

3.5/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Did anyone catch "Jasper Beardley"?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    Did anyone catch "Jasper Beardley"?
    hahahahahahahahaha
    no, i wish i had :laugh:

i think the whole episode had a kind of Family Guy feel to it. there were many cut-away jokes, for one thing (like the snakes in the fountain, and the William H Macy TV spot) and the fan scene was very similar to Family Guy hurmor. but overall, it was a pretty decent episode, especially for this season, so i'll give it a 4/5. i thought the resolution was actualy done quite well, because Abe showed he was a true father to Homer by trying to do what he thought would make Homer happy even if it hurt himself, and Homer accepted Abe as his father even if he biologically wasn't (plus they avoided Principal and the Pauper-esque idiocy). still too many gags that fell completely flat for it to be a 5/5, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    New secret revealed: Marge was born in February.

I'm SO glad that Abe is Homer's real (biological) father, but the full story behind the affair Mona had is still somewhat hazy. This would mean that Abe and Mona had sex sometime before it was assumed that this mystery guy would be the real father.

And why DID Abe switch the DNA Test results anyway? Maybe to keep the episode from ending 5 minutes earlier?

So the only other thing we learned in this story, except that Mona was a cheater.

This was just an okay episode. Some jokes didn't work as well as they could have, and it was basically just a story were a funny twist occurs.

3.5/5
    I think Mona cheating on Abe is fine since Abe cheated on Mona 2 times

Lotta marital problems in the Simpson family. Marge and Homer in general, Abe and Mona committed adultery. Selma's been married like 6 times. And even in the future Bart and Lisa seem alone or in Lisa's case, with Milhouse.

Oh, the zombies...No.

Mona cheating on Abe was established in "D'oh'in in the Wind" as I recall.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

I can't believe people think they are stealing Family Guy's style here! These are all classic Simpsons style gags.

old and in the way Samuel L Bronkowitz's Avatar

they easily coulda wrote a backstory that didn't taint Mona's image (moreso), but I guess what's done is done.

despite that, it was a solid & mostly grounded episode, but overall unspectacular...tentatively a 3/5, but will reserve final judgement 'til after a second viewing...

Thread Information