View Poll Results: Rate "Days of Wine and D'oh'ses"!

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) Talkative, coherent, even insightful!

25 19.23%
  • (4/5) Disgracefully hilarious!

48 36.92%
  • (3/5) Well, it ain't beer...

43 33.08%
  • (2/5) I can sink way lower!

10 7.69%
  • (1/5) That picture's a cliché!

4 3.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Days of Wine and D'oh'ses

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Rate & Review: Days of Wine and D'oh'ses

A diamond in the rough that is season 11, Days of Wine and D'oh'ses is my definite favourite in this season. There are no irritating guest stars, little physical/slapstick humour, decent characterisations, and a very interesting plot which concluded with the subplot really well. Fantastic animation too. Yes, it started the horror that was Sober Barney but it couldn't really have done it a better way. Grade: A-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Stonecutter

A brilliant episode. Barney/Homer relationship, whilst done before in Mr. Plow, was still fresh and funny and it was always an obvious storyline, I suppose. Ashame it was part of S11, but I can't see how it could have been done any better. The subplot was also decent and connected with the main plot - a rare thing these days. But, it should definitely have been a one-off episode and never continued. Thankfully, we are seeing drunk Barney return now, so there is hope for the future yet! A 5/5

barts friend

3/5

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I thought it was one of the funnier episodes to come out of season 11. My one problem with this one, as well as from Eight Misbehavin and Alone Again Naturadidly is that they're good episodes that screwed with a familiar aspect of the show and replaced it with something that's not as funny

My favorite season 11 episode, 4/5

my simpson season ranks:4, 7, 6, 3, 5, 8, 2, 9, 1, 13, 15, 14, 17, 16, 10, 12, 11

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

4/5. I really enjoyed this one.

I want to see Drunk Barney's thoughts on this one..

I have to admit, it was a nice episode. 4/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I just saw it and was unimpressed. It appears to be a substantial episode because of the emotional story, but there's really not much there. Barney is a boring character when sober; therefore, his story is unengaging. Plus, yet another someone-is-in-danger 3rd act, though at least this time it tied together a little bit with Barney trying to gain respect. There are some lame Scully gags, especially the gay guy at Moe's thinking he was at a gay bar. That gag felt anti-gay to me, just using a stereotype like that. But there are a few good jokes - the Telletubbies subliminal message was amusing. Also, Homer was in pretty good character and the first act was good. All in all, this isn't quite an acceptable episode.

C+
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

Well it was an interesting story but it lacks great gags. C
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

a good episode for me.
    The story part with Barney is entertaining, even when i must admit i like him more when he's drunk . The other story with Bart and Lisa is good too and the end with their baby picture is funny.

4/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

4/5, pretty good look at Barney's character after "Mr. Plow" and not a bad episode considering how terrible season 11 is.

It's really not a bad episode at all. I think personally it could have been way better, and knowing that it was pitched at around the same time as Duffless I wonder what it would have been like if it were made with that style of writing/etc.

But still it's one of the genuinly decent things to come out of 11.

An ok episode. The 'B' plot was lacking with little plot and hardly a gag in sight.

But Barney's turn was nice and I liked that they stayed with it, if only for a little while.

2.5 rounded to a 3/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Blog Entries

I'm kind of conflicted, because on one hand it's one of the best of S11, but on the other, it started a continuity change that I DO NOT LIKE (sober Barney, obviously)

I like how Moe got him hooked on coffee at the end, but wish they'd just hit the reset button after the episode

4.5/5 (rounded up in the poll) A-
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this the least popular R&R thread? Wow, 14 posts so far.

About the episode, it's certainly a highlight in the 11th season. I didn't like its consequences, but it hadn't got major flaws. Barney was very well-depicted here and I believed all his fight against the alcohol despite I was aware of how awful it would be for his characterization and his humorous quality. Despite the sober Barney never was appealing for me, the narration of this change is pretty flawless here.
    The humour is not great, but the episode has some good jokes and it's a lot more complete in that aspect than almost all the other ones from the season.

I'll give 8/10 to this episode, which could have been even better if the plot was autoconclusive.

Forgetting anything that happened to Barney as a result of this episode, this is pretty solid. Sure, the final act is the same ol' life-in-peril climax that became more and more frequent around this time, but it wasn't pulled off too badly. It also gave some surprising depth to Barney's character, and that's a post-classic rarity.
    4/5
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

One of the season's highlights, it holds up well too. 4/5

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked most of it, but it seemed to go down after the second act {the last seemed to fast}.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A very boring episode that was more of a 'meh' experience.

2/5.

For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar

underated. an interesting story, but lacking in humor

3/5

A different feel for season 11 (partly because it was written for season 4 by Dan and his wife). I like the Bart/Lisa subplot but I can't say this was particularly funny. 3/5

Steam Powered Super Spider

A cleverly written episode and they handled the subject matter quite well. It had overall good characterization, the story was engaging and there were a fair few funny moments throughout, and the B-story tying in with the main story was refreshing and clever.

Great episode in a otherwise overall disappointing season.

4/5
    Oh my great good God! Gentlemen, your attention please. I am detecting a gigiantic amphibious life-form, it's 80 meters long and it's heading this way. Oh good glayven it's on my shoe. It's a small frog, just get off, just get off there, just get out of it, get out of it. Stupid machine, oh wait a minute, this isn't the Monsterometer, it's the Frog-Exaggerator Mm-hai.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

3/5. Sober Barney didn't last long.

Tongue

It was a lovely episode. But nothing too funny really.

the original Sex Pistol

Pretty good by s11 standards, but average compared to the whole show. 3/5

I'm not fond of this episode at all.

It seemed too sitcom-ish, relying on the character's one dimensional traits, rather than the people as a whole. Act 3 was undeniably prepostrous.

I know alot of people like this episode, but still - D
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

I might upgrade my rating of this to a B-. I'm finding I really gravitate to this based on how reserved it is compared to the rest of the show at that time. It's not hilarious but with far more funny moments than the unspectacular reserved episodes of today.
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

A really average episode at best. Nothing really that funny. The concept was good, but just "meh" in execution. It was sort-of Jean era boring. My rating would've been 3/5, but this episode spawned "Sober Barney" jokes. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Amelia Earhart View Post
    I'm not fond of this episode at all.

It seemed too sitcom-ish, relying on the character's one dimensional traits, rather than the people as a whole. Act 3 was undeniably prepostrous.

I know alot of people like this episode, but still - D
    Re-watched the episode, and surprisingly my own perception of it changed.

I found it to be a really warm-hearted, well plotted and utterly hilarious episode, and act three with so many twists and turns (like the bear climbing up to the helicopter, which made me laugh really hard) was just wonderful.

It does have its flaws though - some of the bar scenes dragged on for a-bit (especially them making Homer their Barney replacement, which seemed kind of pointless).

Anyway a fun episode worthy of a B, and not the terrible grade I gave it before.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 11 continues when Barney gets sober....for a little while! After forgetting his birthday and seeing how horrible he acts when drunk Barney finally decides to give up drinking. This creates a tear in his relationship with Homer though, but the two manage to work through it. Meanwhile Bart and Lisa seek out the perfect picture for the telephone book.

I have always considered this one strange in that I thought it to be one of the better Season 11 episodes, but I didn't like the premise of making Barney sober. Barney has shown signs of brilliance in the past in several episodes, but this was probably the last episode that I can remember where he had a very large part. After this he had maybe a handful of memorable uses on the show and never as part of the actual plot which saddens me. Maybe I'm forgetting an episode but Barney really just kind of stays in the back after this even after they make him drunk again. I also found this not nearly as funny on this rewatch but I don't know that that is really a bad thing. This episode is supposed to be about Homer and Barney and it tackles the subject about as well as you could expect for Season 11.

The subplot is alright and I did enjoy the callback closet, the bear and Marge's little trick on the kids. I liked how the two stories tied together as well and Homer's line about having money. So I'm not gonna give this as high a grade as I thought going into the season. 3.5/5 rounded down to a 3 for the poll.

Thread Information