View Poll Results: Rate: Saddlesore Galactica

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) You stink...damn good!

22 8.27%
  • (4/5) We'll give you gold!

26 9.77%
  • (3/5) I stand by my disappointed groan!

40 15.04%
  • (2/5) The elves! The elves!

75 28.20%
  • (1/5) Worst Episode Ever!

103 38.72%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: Saddlesore Galactica (BABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Rate and Review: Saddlesore Galactica (BABF09)

Episode number 2 of the 3 episode lowpoint in Simpsons history!

Ugh...just...ugh. The whole idea was okay and it was actually going pretty well up until the end of act 2 (I liked most of the school scenes, glowsticks and Homer's dancing), but even these first acts had major problems beforehand with horrible jokes such as the mop swallowing stuff, the Vietnam jokes, Marge rolling on the floor, and the Moe heart gag to name a few. Then came the infamous 3rd act - how on earth Mr Groening passed this is anyone's guess. Who, in their right mind, would write anything about jockey elves living underground in a tree, singing? Would you even see this kind of stuff in fanfics? Even for Tim Long this is a stretch. You can tell the writers just gave up at the end of act 2 with the elves, the super soakers and Clinton's appearance.
    Simply put, this episode should just not have been even thought about, let alone produced. Grade: D-

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

2 of the 3 low points? I thought this was one of four with Simpsons Safari New Kids On The Blecch and KTAAR. Oh well, watch this one top the worst episode ever poll in the new year.
    1/5, 1/10, F

barts friend

2/5

Stonecutter

D'oh D'oh D'oh missed this, I've never seen it. Probably would of added it to my bottom 25 list, sorry veryjammy I guess that kind mucks up your thing. Though I suppose it all evens out as most people havn't seen every single episode, or seen every episode with a good memory of it.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adzzzzzzzzzz
    2 of the 3 low points? I thought this was one of four with Simpsons Safari New Kids On The Blecch and KTAAR. Oh well, watch this one top the worst episode ever poll in the new year.
    1/5, 1/10, F
    I meant 3 really bad episodes in a row: Mansion family, this, and Alone Again Natura Diddly but I'd agree with you on those others!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

To be honest, I think CBG's little appearances were funny, especially when wearing the "worst episode ever" shirt. Maybe two little chuckles other than that. But this feels totally uninspired. The horse plot is completely unengaging, and then the jockey elves...! But I somehow don't feel completely patronized when watching this. Just baffled. So the little teeny good things are a factor in my grade:

D-
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Maybe it's because I was a little loaded the first time I saw it, but I got a good laugh out of the elves routine. The rest of the episode was par for the season, mostly.
    why am i even boarding

i should be passing out right now

this laptop has very comfortable keys

this is a sursprisingly eloquent post

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I don't despise this ep the way most do, as a lot of the stuff in the beginning ain't bad (Star-Spangled Banner, state un-fair, etc). The meta-references got old, and I didn't like the recycled horse story or Homer and Bart "toughening" up Duncan. The elf jockey scene is definitely the infamous point for this episode, but looking beyond that, there are some decent gags and not a HUGE number of cringeworthy things like in KTAAR or Simpson Safari. Clinton's appearance at the end was the highlight.

D+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

I'd agree with TriforceBun. This episode is indeed poor, with a lousy story and a ridiculously stupid twist (jockey elves), but it does have a number of good moments in the first act (the stuff he mentioned, "This is clearly a case of animal cruelty....you got a permit for that?", etc.) and even a couple scattered elsewhere ("that's the third monocle this week. I really must stop being so horrified"). It's pretty terrible, but just not a "worst episode ever" contender on par KTAAR or Simpsons Safari the way some make it out to be. D+
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

^ All signs are pointing to Saddlesore walking the worst episode poll......

Hmmm, incidentally I probably put it too high on my list...I'll have to edit it. It'll probably stay in the list though.

Med folket för fosterlandet Art_Vandelay's Avatar

I voted 1/5. If it wasn't for those freakin' elves, it would have been a 2/5, maybe even higher.

........................................................GOLD. SILVER. BRONZE
    ..............................................................5 ..........2 ..........4

Stonecutter

I managed to see this in the end, and meh I didn't mind it. A lot of good jokes and I actually thought the first and part of the second act were pretty good. But the whole thing turned very wacky and quite silly. Still not bad 3/5.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

3/6 if you skip the elves
    1/5 if you dont.

1/5
    Those elves........

Stonecutter

Well, the episode wasn't boring - it entertains me - so in that respect, it isn't bad. But, on the other hand, this was probably the first time I ended up laughing at The Simpsons, as opposed to with. That Jockey song is absolutely dreadful, especially just after you've seen a deeply emotionally driven and involved Season 2 episode. 2/5 D

back in black

Underrated. The episode, from start to finish, is completely wacky and satirical (if you can call it that), and delivers a good amount of laughs. (Come on, there are some things that are so wacky in this episode you just HAVE to laugh at them - I thought the "jockey elves" were hilarious, anyone who doesn't is a die-hard critic with no life!) As a standard Simpsons episode, it starts out OK, quality dips by act 2, and as soon as Duncan becomes "Furious D" it crosses the line from extreme goofy satire to utter pointlessness. Fortunately, the last few minutes or so make it more tolerable, and the ending with Clinton is the funniest in all of Season 11.

It's not the "worst episode ever", it's just disguised as it. Still, a bad episode in a bad season overall - 2/5 (though I'm voting 3/5 because the "disappointed groan" line is more fitting than "the elves!").
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nodog438

Blog Entries

It came down to me that the episode wasn't really bad until Homer was sucked into the jockey elve's land. I say this is like a whole Treehouse of Horror segment enlargened to 22 minute version... without any special meanings of horror. There had to be better ideas of how Homer had to forfeit the game to opposing horseback riders than just them being a freaking jockey elves...

To say about the bright spot of this episode, was that the jokes weren't really bad. I loved the school scene, Homer being jerkass was kind of funny this time for me... well gotta get to the conclusions.

Gotta give it to the elves ALOT. If you don't count the elves, it's actually like some low-valued episodes from Season 10, but if you do count elves... well... I'm sorry to say this: 1/5. They have Girls Gone Wild, but this one's like Writers Gone Wild.

Conclusion: The elves are real??? Oh my God! Oh my God!
    calmer than you are

Considering how many people love and own Horses it was inevitable they'd make a Equine heavy episode, and I dug it well enough cause we love horses too. The Jockeys and their song keeps it from getting a full 5 from me
    4/5

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

I didn't see anything wrong with the jockey scenes or song. I really enjoyed this episode and many of the jokes.

A

Homer: That horse better win, or we're taking a trip to the glue factory -- and he won't get to come.

Homer: Cheer up, son. I thought you looked damn good out there. Oh, wait, you were number five? You, stink! ... Damn good.

Homer: Alright. We'll give it a shot! I'll deal with those murderous trolls!
    Bart: Huh?
    Homer: I mean.. I'll deal with those murderous trolls!

Saddlesore Galactica = 5/5
    Last edited by Hiphopopotamus; 07-28-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Not a r-tard

One of the worst for obvious reasons. F
    Season Grades...
    1 - B, 2 - A+, 3 - A, 4 - A+, 5 - A-, 6 - A+, 7 - A+, 8 - A, 9 - C+, 10 - D+, 11 - F, 12 - C-, 13 - B-, 14 - B, 15 - B+, 16 - B, 17 - C+, 18 - C-

Season 19
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - D+/D
    The Homer of Seville - C-
    Midnight Towboy - N/A
    I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - B-

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

2/5 There are some jokes that are plain hilarious,but the elves...

I'm Checkin' in

A better episdoe of a terrible season, 2.5/5

It's like swallowing Draino

1/5

Elves? What the hell?

2/5, or a D+

It would have been an 'F' if not for Comic Book Guy and some scattered bits of amusement.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

If I see one more post highlighting "the elves" as a reason for considering it worst episode ever, I think I'm going to scream! They were bad, but FFS, they weren't that bad.

Aside from THE ELVES!!!1!, there's a few other inspired scenes that were quite funny. Ones already mentioned do ring a bell. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with meta-humour. I completely fail to understand how anyone can sit there with a straight face and use the meta-humour as a reason for giving the episode a low score. If anything, meta-humour is clever, rather than...whatever people thought about it. I postulate the theory that fans are offended by the humour. None the less, the plot is servicable, there are some good jokes (already mentioned) and it's a fairly fun romp even if it does degenerate into excessive wackiness in the final act. I give it 2/5, or a D+/C-
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Tougher! Rougher! Badder! I Love Lisa's Avatar

Not having properly seen other worst episode contenders like KTAAR, New Kids On The Blech or Simpson Safari, this is my joint first least favorite episode with Mad Marge. There were a couple of funny bits here and there but overall it all sucked. Moe's Heart, the mop you have to feed, the whole Furious D thing, Comic Book Guy and especially the elves among other things were just terrible. It wasn't terrible to start with (still very bad though) then Furious D came about and completley killed the whole episode. I didn't even enjoy the Lisa plot and thats just not right for me. F

HERE COME THE DRUMS! Chief Simpson's Avatar

Underrated. This episode is funny! Come on!

Yes, the elves kinda ruin it. I don't care to be honest, I pretend I'm an elf. The 'were going to the glue factory...and he won't get to come!' was hillarious.

Underrated - 4/5.
    A response to the YouTube video, 'Family Guy Steals From The Simpsons' - Funniest thing I've ever read.
    If you guys didn't notice, Family Guy was produced by the same person that made the Simpsons.
    You can't steal from yourself, therefore, Family Guy can't steal from the Simpsons

i thought it was great, and i loved the elves.

A
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

Thread Information