View Poll Results: Rate The Mansion Family!

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) They're the greatest heroes of all!

13 9.77%
  • (4/5) That's a lifesaver!

19 14.29%
  • (3/5) This sounds like bad news!

39 29.32%
  • (2/5) I can't even finish!

30 22.56%
  • (1/5) I'm not reading this drivel!

32 24.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: The Mansion Family (BABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Rate and Review: The Mansion Family (BABF08)

Watching this today reminded me just how terrible this episode really is. If it wasn't for the funny stuff in the awards ceremony, this would probably get an F from me but most things in act 2 and everything in act 3 were just so bad it's still not gonna get anything more than a D-. Massively wasted potential with the family in Burns' house. I despised the mokey fights, pirates, half the population drowning in Homer's net, Burns having the tests, Bart smoking the cigar, the ass scratching fork and the unresolved ending. A few laughs but, as one SNPP reviewer states, "Utter trash".

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Yeah I saw it too. Terrible, I might bump it up my worst episode list after seeing the full horror of it again.

Just added it to my worst episode 25. It sucks.

I give it a C-, it did suck but it had some okay moments and didn't become really crappy until the pirate thing happened.

Just how does an episode about the family living in the Burns Manor end up with Homer getting attacked by pirates?

3/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

I believe there are a few laughs in the first act.

D-
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Med folket för fosterlandet Art_Vandelay's Avatar

D- or 1/5

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah this is one that seems like it should get more hate, the whole section with the pirates is outstandingly bad.D

barts friend

3/5

Truly horrible. I guess there might be about five chuckles in it, but the rest is offensively bad. The story is shit and a lot of the humor just comes off as childish. And I don't like to get overreactionary about guest stars, but really, Britney Spears? D-
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

The sight of Britney Spears made me wanna run, But Furious George the knife fighting monkey more than covered for that! 4/5

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimpsons
    Watching this today reminded me just how terrible this episode really is. If it wasn't for the funny stuff in the awards ceremony, this would probably get an F from me but most things in act 2 and everything in act 3 were just so bad it's still not gonna get anything more than a D-. Massively wasted potential with the family in Burns' house. I despised the mokey fights, pirates, half the population drowning in Homer's net, Burns having the tests, Bart smoking the cigar, the ass scratching fork and the unresolved ending. A few laughs but, as one SNPP reviewer states, "Utter trash".
    You've summed up exactly how I feel about this episode, however you forgot to mention the truly horrible reoccurring ending with Homer screaming in pain or whining about something incessantly over the credits (a device that, like the countless Homer pain gags, Scully inexplicably seemed to think was riotously funny, and which was also mercilessly inflicted on us in previous Season 11 episodes like Eight Misbehavin' and Little Big Mom with Homer being electrocuted or attacked by a mongoose). Ironically, in one sense it was a fitting conclusion, as the quality of the episode beforehand had already been enough to make one weep, and Homer's crying cemented that. Also the story is terribly badly structured; we are given no logical or convincing explanation of why the family go and live in the mansion in the first place, or how Homer and other Springfieldians are rescued from the pirates (WTF?? This is the Simpsons, not Popeye) and somehow everything magically goes back to normal. Even Take My Wife, Sleaze (another episode in my bottom 10) has some semblance of logic to its inherent badness.

When I saw A Tale of Two Springfields a couple of months ago I did not think it was possible there could be a worse Simpsons episode in existence, but I think I have seen it in The Mansion Family. Grade: D-.

Somebody Wake Up Hicks Terrier Williger's Avatar

This is Godamn awful.
    As well as being a really poor and illogical story, Homer is in just about his worst jerkass mode. I struggle to find many laughs - for me, the award ceremony with Britney Spears is the funniest scene, while Burns getting jammed in the machine is my favourite gag. Overall there's not much subtlety to the humour, but the alternative to that is some good slapstck comedy which i don't see too much of either. In fact the episode contains some nasty violence and death(?), like the whipping and net scenes, and I'm affraid the monkey knife fight doesn't do it for me either. The violence doesn't seem to get much of a comic touch like you'd get with say Tom and Jerry, or Laurel and Hardy - I only found Apu's 'nook and cranny gag' funny. Finally, could end credits get much worse ? - Extremely embarrassing - this is not an episode to try and convert a 'non-believer' with.
    My least favourite Simpsons episode. 1/10 = a generous 1/5.
    Last edited by Terrier Williger; 12-27-2005 at 04:48 AM.
    We live in a society of rules. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing! Did you?! Except at that guy who made sound effects. Brrruuummm!, zhoo-zhoo!, rrraaassspppp!, honk!, honk!, pkeeerrrrgghhh!, ahoo-hoo, he-he, hoo-hoo. Where was I? Oh yeah... Stay out of my booze!

My personal seasons' rankings : 4 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 9 > 1 > 16 > 15 > 18 > 17 > 14 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 11..19&20?..can't be arsed

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

I thought the Burns subplot, though all slapstick, was kind of funny. Awards ceremony had a couple good moments (Lenny, the film), though ruined by Britney Spears' existence. The rest was very silly. D+

Horrible, horrible, horrible. I give it an F, like in "Fucking bad". And this was the first time ever I rated anepisode so badly.
    Si eres capaz de entender esto, es que sabes un poco de espańol (o que estás utilizando Babelfish, cosa que no te recomiendo)

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Not super-horrible in my book, but pretty bad nonetheless. It's pretty much standard Scully fluff--wacky, unrealistic situation with wasted potential, rambling over-the-top third act, cartoony slapstick that usually misses, peppered with a few fairly funny mindless gags here and there. I too enjoyed the awards ceremony at the beginning (was this the episode with the "Pointless. -New York Times" sign gag?), including the oldest man jokes with Grampa, taking a Huey P. Long bullet, and "Abra cadaver!" Britney Spears doesn't deserve to be in this show, though, even in an episode like this. The house stuff mostly didn't work so well and didn't make much sense, and the pirate stuff was way too out there. The subplot was kooky Burns at his kookiest, so make of that what you will.

I still find the butt-scratching fork to be funny. Am I a terrible person? D+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

Pretty bad episode nothing in it is all that funny. D
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3/5, bumped up from a 2.5/5

i got a few cheaps laughs out of it, and i probably laughed way more than i should have at the Monkey fight thing, especially Moe's line

i really like this episode and it's one of my favorites from season 11
    The story is wacky, but funny nevertheless. The scenes on the yacht are entertaining
    and the sub-plot with Mr.Burns is funny too

4/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Well, I think that it's an rather enjoyable and wacky episode with some nice jokes and gags. I liked to see the Simpson family house-sitting the mansion and the subplot about Burns at the clinic was also nice. It's not an top material episode of course, but it's pretty good and a funny watch for being a season 11 episode, so to me it's not some kind of abomination; also, the confrontation with the chinese pirates in the third act didn't bother me.

B-
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-21-2010 at 06:31 AM.

the original Sex Pistol

It's a silly and wacky episode, but still not better than average. C

a fervent propulsion Tinselled Jim's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How amzingly pointless. The pirates were terible and homer was a jerk all through. However, the first scene was quite funny, despite having the worst ever guest appearance ever. 3/5
    couldn't trust her with cheese, let alone with your keys

Not that bad an episode. It has enough funny moments for me to not hate this episode. The plotline is average but it makes up for it enough with good lines and funny scenes.

3/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

It is better but not up to the mark episode. I believe there are a few laughs in the first act. I watched this episode on tv show online site.

I would rate it 3/5.

One of my favorites from the nightmare that is season 11. The awards ceremony the ass-scrathing stick and a few other moments make up for a dumb plot. 4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My cat's coughed up funnier things than this episode.

One of my favorites from the nightmare that is season 11. The awards ceremony the ass-scrathing stick and a few other moments make up for a dumb plot. 4/5
    Wow, I wonder what level of 'dumbness' it would take for you to give it a really bad grade....

Nothing Goes Over My Head Walid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really liked it. The only dumb thing was Britney Spears {i thought}

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Huh, I'm shocked I never talked about this shameful attempt at an episode.

I think The Mansion Family is the epitome of Scully decline at every level. Unfortunately not the worst, but worthy of bottom 20 bashing at least. I try to survive the fact that there's no real plot in the episode, just a pile of scenes, but in the end the result of that mess wasn't that funny. Hey, it was actually boring. Jokes were cheap and terribly childish, like that Homer driving a mini-car in the floor and destroying a table. When I first saw it I thought: "Do they really expect me to laugh at this?", and it's probably one of the first times I've not only disliked, but despised a Simpson scene at all.
    To round it, characterizations were not only neglected, they were wrong at all. Burns felt like a puppet. Homer was -again- that annoying loudmouth jerkass loved by everybody . The rest were pretty off.
    Really, I hate this episode and its whole concept so much, and if it wasn't for the first act (which is not anything to feel proud, but at least was somewhat funny) it would be a contender for worst episode ever. 4/10

Bad episode and one of the worst of season 11 (which is no small feat!). It's the epitome of the draining obnoxiousness of this era, especially in the third act. The positives I can think of are bits from the first act (taking a bullet) and the Burns' subplot which, while nothing special, was mildly interesting. D-
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Thread Information