View Poll Results: How would you rate HABF01?

Voters
372. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

82 22.04%
  • 4/5

127 34.14%
  • 3/5

99 26.61%
  • 2/5

44 11.83%
  • 1/5

20 5.38%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review Simpsons Christmas Stories (HABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review Simpsons Christmas Stories (HABF01)

The First (Annoyed Grunt) el – When Reverend Lovejoy’s car breaks down, Homer takes over the sermon and gives his version of the birth of Christ, featuring Joseph (Homer), Mary (Marge) and the evil King Herod (Burns).

I Saw Grampa Cussing Santa Claus – Grampa’s out to exact his revenge on Father Christmas. During the war, Grampa and his gunner, Burns, were shot down and stranded on an island. They thought Santa was an enemy aircraft and shot down his sleigh. When they realized their mistake, they repaired the sleigh, and Santa rode away, promising to send help, but never did.

The Nutcracker… Sweet – The people of Springfield go about their Christmas days, to the tune of the Nutcracker. Moe attempts suicide, Marge struggles to make Christmas dinner and Homer frantically searches for Marge’s gift.

Preview/Speculation Thread

Football allowing, thread will open at 8:30/7:30C.

Taking my talents to S. Beach Curtis's Avatar

Good episode except for the hinted spooning of Abe and Burns. 4/5 I like the third act the best.
    ¡Lee mi blog!
    Reinventing Revolution

Would have gave it a 5, but seeing the Crazy Cat Lady yet again brought it down to a 4.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Meh, 2/5, will criticize later.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Stonecutter

5 out of 5! I absolutely LOVED the last act. The only problem was its length. It should've been an entire episode rather than just one act.

First act was alright, but it was all downhill form there. 2.5/5

Junior Camper

I didnt think this episode was not very good at all. All three stories did not meet their potential and there were no laugh out loud moments.
    There were a couple small chuckle one liners,
    "18 wheels and they all missed me", and Ned being prepared to give the Christain sermon.

2/5

good ep but i think the end joke with moe and 18 wheeler was overdone

Red = Danger

Wow! Really great episode! I loved so much part 1 and part 3! The Nutcracker parody was really great, the songs were cool. One of the best episode of the season! There was many good gags, I loved Moe suicide attempts! Also, The Jesus birth was really funny with full of gags about references. I liked part 2, but less than the rest of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by The Undertaker
    good ep but i think the end joke with moe and 18 wheeler was overdone
    I liked that joke and the one about Rudolph being eaten by the snake.

Good episode. The third act was the best. 4/5

5/5 it was a great episode

Handsome-Devil Extraordinai Urath28's Avatar

overall very solid 4/5

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I have not been a fan of any of the newer three seperate story episodes, but I was glad that only one of these had the Simpson family posing as historical figures. But...

First act: weird and typical "lets make historical/religious stuff offensive" crap. Had much greater potential than what we saw.

Second act: Just plain weird. Would have been tolerable if it ended with Grandpa just getting Sirus's trinket from Santa, and not the whole lame thing of Sirus still being alive in Tahiti. I mean seriously, that is a very typical new Simpsons way of ruining a segment.

Third act: I thought the premise was great but the outcome was half-assed, much like the whole episode. Would have been much better, creative, and more original if there was no dialogue after they left the play and everything strictly acted out to the music. Also, less of Moe trying to kill himself (a running gag I particularly hate, and I don't think I'm alone here) and more of the rest of the town.

So... I didn't enjoy it very much. I am a firm believer that they should not do these three part episodes anymore because they clearly have problems making three seperate stories interesting.

2.5/5
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 12-18-2005 at 05:41 PM.

It was good, but none of the three parts seemed to be focused. None of them had a focused plot. Now, that's not always a bad thing but it is a little confusing when the segment keeps switching it's plot. For example of plot switches, in the second one, the various plot changes were: Burns & Abe on island; Burns & Abe helping Santa; Burns stealing Santa's sleigh; Abe saving Santa; Abe reuniting with Sirus. No focus. It was the same with the first one too. But like I said, it's not always a bad thing and these two segments were still good.

All in all, I'd have to say best of the season, with the third act being the best. I was hoping that the entire thing would be under the guise of Homer/Abe doing a church sermon, but oh well. The second act was weakest, I didn't like the ending. It would have been better if there had been a 60 year old lost Christmas letter from Sirus or something. That's probably how it would have ended in the classic era, but this is the non-classic era, where everything has to end with a [usually lame] joke. The first one was quite forgettable. I liked the part in the church, and some of the jokes were okay. For example, Skinner and Homer doing the three stooges.

Best jokes:
    Rudolph being eaten by a snake
    Ned having the emergency reverand costume
    Everything in the third act.

I'm gonna give it 4/5. Nothing spectacular, but this is the first episode this season where there's really nothing I truly disliked.
    Last edited by Scorpion McClure; 12-18-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Funkalicious Diva Queen Hooray For Everything!'s Avatar

The first part had me laughing my ass off, but the second had no cohesive plot whatsoever. Although I do love, "Someone should have beat you with a tricycle a long time ago". The third was okay, but I'm a little bored with the "Moe makes a miserable attempt at suicide" theme. I like the idea, but it needs a fresh take on it. It seemed kind of recycled. And the end brought a tear to my eye. My husband is like Homer in the respect that he forgets holidays and birthdays like crazy. I decided to get married on Valentine's Day mainly so he wouldn't forget our anniversary. Marge is such a good wife, and a constant source of inspiration to me!

Act 1: B
    Act 2: C-
    Act 3: B+

Final: B-

Thoughts later on.
    Signature.

The Good Lookin' Guy

It was a pretty good episode.

Things I Liked
    -Lisa: Hail Mary, full of grace. Homer: That's not all she's full of.
    -Lisa (Gabrial) telling Bart (Jesus) what will happen to him.
    -Reindeer getting shot down
    -Appearence of Santa (I've been wondering what he would look like on this show)
    -Songs
    -Ned Flanders getting into his priest outfit
    -Halo on the duck
    -Matthew writing the story down
    -Lisa (Gabrial) explaining what Jesus will do in his life but Marge (Mary) doesn't like it

Things I Didn't Like
    -Acting like the Three Stooges to make Jesus laugh
    -The dead people Christmas tree
    -Grampa's never-going-to-be-seen-again brother
    -Crazy Cat Lady (why do the writers think she is funny?)
    -Inconsistant stories (first story was told by Homer in church, then Grampa at home, then it really happened)

I wasn't expecting too much from this, but I was really surprised by how funny everything ended up being. I loved the couch gag (COUCH GAG THRILLS NATION!) as well. Steven Moore did a great job with the direction, as there were a lot of sweet poses, and given that there weren't any animation oddities, I guess Susie Dietter did a good job on the retakes. 4/5.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

The whole episode should have been that last segment. It had this really great 22 Short Films About Springfield feeling. And there was so much more ground to cover. They could have done Bart & Lisa side-stories and so on... There was an immediate heighten in quality with that last segment; and it wasn't just because Grandpa's one was terrible.

Grandpa's segment was just too ridiculous. I know it's a silly Grandpa story, but it was really over the edge. And why did they have to annoy us with this "half brother" crap? Why couldn't Cyrus have been just a close war buddy? The whole "it turns out it was all real" ending also didn't work for me. It would have been better if it was just left as a crazy story. Not only were the last minute justifications weak, but the gags at the end were just no good.

Looks like i went backwards in this review here. The first segment was better than the second, but not as memorable as the third. I liked how nobody cared when Flanders fainted. And Homer's lines were spot on. The only joke i hated was the needless "Why are you praying to the duck?" setup for another lousy line. I don't understand why they do they lame setups with no thought... "Why did you (blank) (blank)?" "Because (insert lousy punch-line here)!" ugh.. they're so contrived; it's just goes against everything we love about The Simpsons. It was nice how everything came together nicely with the tree at the end.

Missed the couch gag, Aside from Grandpa's "what the hell am I watching?" second act story, this feels like an ep that will only get better with age. 3/5

Possibly the most ambitious Simpsons episode made since Trilogy of Error.

-The first part was pretty decent. Some of the passing holiday references were meh, but a good story overall.

4/5

-The second part was very well-played. I liked the one where Grandpa calls himself "Young Grandpa Simpson".

4/5

-The third part was the best of all. I would've preferred it to be done in pantomime, but the animation and singing were still brilliant.

5/5

An excellent anthology episode, and most importantly, this is the best Christmas episode we've gotten since Miracle on Evergreen Terrace.

Total: 4.3/5

I forgot: The couch gag was kinda meh. They're really doing different things with the couch gags this season. Some turn out great (The playdoh one, the couches as monsters one) and some turn out not as great.

By the way, I didn't notice who got the writing credit. Can somebody please fill me in?

5/5 I have a new Holiday Favorite! It recharged my Christmas Spirit. Burns showing up for all 3 segments put the Rum in my egg nog!

I was incredibly surprised that I actually enjoyed this episode. There were the usual reeated jokes/ripped off jokes/lame jokes, but not as many as recent episodes. Also, I was really surprised I actually found the cat lady's appearance kinda funny. Very surprised, good episode.

4/5

All of The General's signatures are hosted by ImageShack

Galalimit

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion McClure
    I forgot: The couch gag was kinda meh. They're really doing different things with the couch gags this season. Some turn out great (The playdoh one, the couches as monsters one) and some turn out not as great.

By the way, I didn't notice who got the writing credit. Can somebody please fill me in?
    Don Payne got the writing credit.
    Last edited by Galalimit; 12-18-2005 at 05:50 PM.

I really liked the first act, I thought it was well done and worked on a lot of levels. The only problem that I really had was Frink's line about regifting, it would have been better if they had just cut to the the label and showed that he regifted. B+

The second act was pretty good, but I hate the ending. It just felt kind of weird having Santa and Abe and his brother on the beach. B-

The third act was a huge disappointment. I thought the beginning was pretty good, but they just seemed to tack different threads together without trying too hard. B-

Overall B. My favorite joke in the episode was Marge's gift to Homer, I thought it was really sweet.

Junior Camper

A good episode. 3.5/5.

Didnt anyone find Grandpa saying he had sex with Burns a little out there....

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Jerk
    The whole episode should have been that last segment. It had this really great 22 Short Films About Springfield feeling. And there was so much more ground to cover. They could have done Bart & Lisa side-stories and so on... There was an immediate heighten in quality with that last segment; and it wasn't just because Grandpa's one was terrible.

Grandpa's segment was just too ridiculous. I know it's a silly Grandpa story, but it really over the edge. And why did they have to annoy us with this "half brother" crap? Why couldn't Cyrus have been just a close war buddy? The whole "it turns out it was all real" ending also didn't work for me. It would have been better if it was just left as a crazy story. Not only were the last minute justifications weak, but the gags at the end were just no good.
    Excellent points. I was thinking the same thing, that the third segment should have been the whole episode. It would have been outstanding. And you're right, if they really insisted on Grandpa's stupid story being true, Sirus should have been a war buddy. Unless they just said it was his brother to piss us fans off, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis the Jackass
    Didnt anyone find Grandpa saying he had sex with Burns a little out there....
    Spooning isnt sex, genius. It's just cuddling. Which is still weird that they cuddled, but whatever.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 12-18-2005 at 05:54 PM.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

I really liked the Stooges moment. I know they've done Stooge bits before (The Presidents one being the best), but it was just fun to watch. That first one "pick a finger" was a new one to me. Are there any hardcore Stooge fans out there that know if they were making up new varations of moves for this bit or drawing from the vault?

Thread Information